• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry "we can now finally rule out any next-gen pretensions for the Wii U"

Status
Not open for further replies.
called it.Not next gen.

sub par current gen even.

lol_socks-12922.jpg

SmokyDave

This one photo is shaking the foundations of gaming. I'm going to make a movie about it.

You rather buy something with the potential to blow you away graphically than something that you know will have games you want to play and look good?
:/

I get the joy of being blown away by games I want to play. It's a twofer!

I never owned a Wii but I've seen a ton great games released for it even though it was a tech orphan compared to X360/PS3. If nothing, Wii U will be the same. Have great, amazing games on sub-par hardware (compared to Orbis/Durango). I'm not worried about Wii U at all.

x-Lundz-x

I see this mentioned a lot.. but you have to wonder about this statement...

Why would 3rd parties want to drop a lot more money on the next gen systems, when their is already an install base of 140+Million PS3/360s?

Well, why did they spend money to move past the PS2 era?

I see this mentioned a lot.. but you have to wonder about this statement...

Why would 3rd parties want to drop a lot more money on the next gen systems, when their is already an install base of 140+Million PS3/360s?

Soo, third parties will never make games for next gen consoles then? It's a slippery slope argument.

You won't sell systems if they don't have games, and you won't have games unless people buy your system.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Finally we can lay this to rest. Though it is something most of us have known for a while now.

3rd party support will start to fall off on Feb 20th once buzz for Orbis starts. Then by the time E3 rolls around and tons of games are shown, Durango is known, etc. the WiiU will be the last thing anyone is discussing.

Lightening struck with the Wii, but Nintendo was foolish to try it twice. The WiiU will get the same "Not even the same game" ports of big games like the Wii did once the next two consoles arive.

Mael

If they don't want to know the full story, then don't force it on them I say. So yes, leave them ignorant to it.

You're probably right this is only talked into in console wars threads anyway, I guess I'll spend that less time on GAF if that's the only thing they want to talk about...
Then again if the whole Wii thing taught us anything is that people here really don't like to hear like it actually is
the industry is out to screw them not to be their friend

And I can't believe we're in 2013 and people still cling to the "casuals destroyed Nintendo" meme, that's some mindnumbingly stupid thing to even consider.

mantidor

I know there's a lot of complaining in there, but this is the same forum that had a bunch of posters spending a year angrily denying the Wii U would be inferior to PS4/720. The explanations offered up make perfect sense. Of course they're gonna need some GPU stuff for Wii (since it's not backwards compatible like the CPU). And of course they're gonna need silicon for the streaming technology. Even Nvidia has silicon on their 6XX cards for streaming with the SHIELD. If there was some great secret sauce involved, it surely would have revealed itself by now.

Well that is such a dumb thing to do, I mean being obsessed about the specs only to win some e-penis contest that Nintendo was obviously never going to win, I like graphics but thats why I have a PC, consoles work on a completely different level and arguing merely about raw numbers with them is a little silly.

KissVibes

Banned
Genyo Takeda basically said Digital Foundry was wrong in the last investors Q&A about the CPU being weak.

Exactly what someone would say to shareholders.

I mean what, you think companies actively admit disparaging articles are true to investors or even just the general public? Go invest in Blackberry and ask them about the shitty camera in the Z10 or invest in EA and ask them about how bad MOH: Warfighter is. Think they'll own up to them? They wont.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I didn't realise anyone seriously thought this was anything other than PS3/360 level tech. As a Wii U owner I'm comfortable with that as it is the only way I will get to play the latest Mario and Zelda games, I feel sorry for anyone that has bought it thinking otherwise.

I don't think either Super Mario 3D U or Zelda U care about not being on more powerful, $499 systems. Or the millions that will buy them

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I know there's a lot of complaining in there, but this is the same forum that had a bunch of posters spending a year angrily denying the Wii U would be inferior to PS4/720. The explanations offered up make perfect sense. Of course they're gonna need some GPU stuff for Wii (since it's not backwards compatible like the CPU). And of course they're gonna need silicon for the streaming technology. Even Nvidia has silicon on their 6XX cards for streaming with the SHIELD. If there was some great secret sauce involved, it surely would have revealed itself by now.

Something something hidden cores something.

It might be to early to tell, but the ps2/xbox -> ps3/360 was definitely a huge leap in graphics.

What if the next gen doesn't blow people away and the leap, despite all the power, isn't as noticeable?

tkscz

You're probably right this is only talked into in console wars threads anyway, I guess I'll spend that less time on GAF if that's the only thing they want to talk about...
Then again if the whole Wii thing taught us anything is that people here really don't like to hear like it actually is
the industry is out to screw them not to be their friend

Like I said before, it's best to leave this thread be. You, I and a few others know what's really going on. So honestly, what does it matter if the rest of gaf doesn't?

Perkel

Banned
Genyo Takeda basically said Digital Foundry was wrong in the last investors Q&A about the CPU being weak.

Ok... so where are the games that show that hidden power ? It's just Ps3/X360 level nothing to write about. Comparing it to Durango or Orbis is mental.

JordanN

Banned
A HD 4650 is still better than a Xbox 360 so I'm not sure why people are dismissing it. Plus, this GPU is highly customized (or at least something you can't compare to PC parts at face value).

I don't think it's the hardware that sets Nintendo back...it's their mentality. The hardware is a reflection thereof.

That said, they're capable of publishing and developing wonderful titles and it's the gameplay that makes a difference for me and lots of other gamers. Balancing that against hardware that's behind the times and a lack of titles available on other systems (which in all fairness is too early to tell) is what I think will play heavily into whether Nintendo will crush it this gen. They aren't doomed...not in the least. They do need to get with the times, though.

TheExodu5

Banned
Honestly, the port performance doesn't indicate much yet. We know the RAM bandwidth is an issue, but the likely culprit for poor port performance is the CPU. Without redesigning an engine to take proper advantage of the CPU, compromises will have to be made to retrofit it as it's a completely different architecture. Yeah, I believe it was a poor decision on Nintendo's part to choose an architecture that was so incompatible with current systems, but I don't think judging the capabilities of the system on these port efforts is fair at this time.

I don't think anyone is surprised by this; and I don't think people bought the console expecting anything else really.
If you bought the console for massive quantities of high quality 3rd party support, I'd be very surprised.
Nintendo games will look and play well and that's all the fans care about.

yep. nothing new here. nintendo continues to occupy a zone of its own. where sony/ms position themselves is totally irrelevant to both nintendo & nintendo gamers. & whether or not this approach will be successful this time around (wasn't for gc, was for wii) is unknown right now...

Mileena

Banned
Shocking news!

No, not really. Anyone with a Wii U knows this. It just feels like an Xbox 360 with a better pad.

A HD 4650 is still better than a Xbox 360 so I'm not sure why people are dismissing it. Plus, this GPU is highly customized (or at least something you can't compare to PC parts at face value).

They're not dismissing it. Just dismissing it as a competitor to Orbis/Durango on a technical level:

"However, the 16 TMUs at 550MHz and texture cache improvements found in RV770 do elevate the capabilities of this hardware beyond the Xenos GPU in the Xbox 360 - 1.5 times the raw shader power sounds about right. 1080p resolution is around 2.5x that of 720p, so bearing in mind the inclusion of just eight ROPs, it's highly unlikely that we'll be seeing any complex 3D titles running at 1080p."

Like I said before, it's best to leave this thread be. You, I and a few others know what's really going on. So honestly, what does it matter if the rest of gaf doesn't?

I'm honestly curious, is it possible to summarize what is inaccurate or incomplete and how it impacts the conclusion of the article? I saw the link to the other thread but my low level hardware knowledge is lacking.

teiresias

Don't worry guys. The next Zelda game that plays just like the last one will still look amazing!!

Really, it seems Nintendo took a very superficial view of how the market would react to this machine based purely on the belief that all the grandmother's that bought a Wii had suddenly turned into real gamers or Nintendo fans.

Dead Man

as we understand it, this crucial information simply wasn't available in Nintendo's papers, with developers essentially left to their own devices to figure out the performance level of the hardware.
That seems really... stupid.

Wynnebeck

Banned
yep. nothing new here. nintendo continues to occupy a zone of its own. where sony/ms position themselves is totally irrelevant to both nintendo & nintendo gamers. & whether or not this approach will be successful this time around (wasn't for gc, was for wii) is unknown right now...

This is where people are wrong. Sony and MS's position going into next-gen is completely relevant to Nintendo especially when Nintendo is trying to fluff up the Wii U to be a competitor to Orbis/Durango with games as well as services. This is the reason why so much focus has been on what moves Nintendo is making because this was supposed to be their solo year to have the market to themselves before the onslaught of the HD twins. I can't understand why people keep trying to make it seem as if Nintendo is in this vacuum where the actions of Sony/MS doesn't affect or apply to them.

Foffy

Banned
People thought otherwise? I thought with the design of the controller, you were practically demanding exclusive content from the get go for the platform, not ports. I don't think that possibility has diminished, but most of the major players aren't in the market for alternate methods of playing games, so Nintendo is pretty much banking on collaborations, ports of current generation titles, and independent games.

Maybe that ecosystem will be more fruitful for them than it was on Wii in terms of consistent software support of quality. Just don't expect major franchises to be jumping on board for what Wii U's alternative gameplay possibilities are over Orbis/Durangos more powerful hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom