• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Why Can't Destiny 2 Run at 60fps on PS4 Pro?

Jonboy

Bungie confirms Destiny 2's support on PS4 Pro continues to target 30fps, leaving PC the only exponent of 60fps playback. Rich takes a look at the state of PS4 Pro-supported titles so far, where it's clear 4K remains a priority over frame-rate boosts.

- PS4 Pro will get 4K upgrade, but why not focus on 60fps instead?
- 60fps looks and feels better vs 30fps; motion interpolation video showing Destiny 2 running at 60fps
- References Luke Smith and Mark Noseworthy quotes to IGN regarding PS4 Pro power
- Explanation hasn't gone over well, but PS4 Pro spec backs up the argument (2.3x GPU; CPU only 31% boost)
- Those hoping for 60fps on Scorpio are likely to be disappointed for the same reason

- Most basic technological building blocks of the new consoles are geared toward higher resolutions and more stable framerates (not a doubling)
- BF1 is doing a lot of what Bungie attempted to do, but targeting higher framerates
- Even with a game built from the ground up to run at higher framerates, BF1 isn't able to hit a steady 60fps on consoles
- Bungie's core design is based around a 30Hz engine

- PS4 Pro being able to brute force its way to 60fps just isn't something we've seen (only Surge runs at 30 on base hardware and 1080/60 on the Pro)
- Not really fair (in Rich's opinion) to have multiplayer games running at different framerates
- No limitations to stop developers doing this, however (to Rich's knowledge)
- Microsoft has confirmed devs can use the power how they see fit
- Shannon Loftis of MS said: "As a developer, I would bet no one chooses different frame-rates for multiplayer games ever."

- No conspiracy to undermine Pro capabilities by Bungie
- PS4 Pro has always been about higher resolutions, not higher framerates
- Rich is curious to see the method Bungie uses to get PS4 Pro to 4k (native, checkerboard, or upscale)
- Also wants to see Scorpio version fully deliver with 4k
- 60fps is all about the PC version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smn_ZUGK7ZQ

DF said:
Bungie confirms Destiny 2's support on PS4 Pro continues to target 30fps, leaving PC the only exponent of 60fps playback. Rich takes a look at the state of PS4 Pro-supported titles so far, where it's clear 4K remains a priority over frame-rate boosts.

*deep sigh*

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
The cynic in me deep down thinks that MS moneyhatted Bungie to purposely not code the PS4 version to do 60fps so that they could have that exclusivity on the obvious but not yet announced Scorpio version. I hope that's not why, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Theorry

The cynic in me deep down thinks that MS moneyhatted Bungie to purposely not code the PS4 version to do 60fps so that they could have that exclusivity on the obvious but not yet announced Scorpio version. I hope that's not why, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Jesus..

oti

Banned

Maybe you should watch the video. He says 60FPS on Scorpio is unlikely.

This isnt a thing that happens. Especially when sony has the marketing rights anyways.

DNAbro

This is a lot dumber than you think.

hodgy100

The CPU is a bottleneck, we have known this since the spec reveal of the PS4. Why do you guys repeatedly set yourselves up for disappointment?

Bsigg12

It's a Sony marketing deal. Also shit like that doesn't happen, if anything Bungie just wants to continue the trend of making sure the image quality is stellar.

TheMoon

isn't gameplay parity the ultra obvious reason?

Because even if it could there's no way they would have 60fps pro vs 30fps base ps4.

this basically?

why so many question marks?

this is not how the world works.

Akai__

Can we get a bit of a summary, for us plebs with limited mobile data?

- CPU is too weak.
- Engine is not designed arround 60FPS and the jump from 30 -> 60 is not easy.
- PS4 Pro would give advantages in MP, due to how input on controllers work etc.

Explained in a more professional way, but those are the most important bullet points, in my eyes.

AllGamer

Wow...get your tinfoil hats ready, guys.

UtOOgF3dnvClW.webp

jaxpunk

hahahahah

That's what happens when you don't fix the bottleneck holding back higher framerates.

Not that they easily could have with existing computability.

Other games with a similar amount of visual fidelity run at 60FPS with more players in their multiplayer modes. Other than it being a design choice, I don't understand why a 4v4 multiplayer match can't run at 60FPS. I simply can't go back to a 30FPS multiplayer shooter at this point.

It's not cynicism, it's just plain dumb.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can we get a bit of a summary, for us plebs with limited mobile data?

They mention how a core i7 7700k will easily run it on 4K w/ 60 FPS. Then into general detail about how higher frame rate leads to a better game play experience with V sync details etc.

Then cite the IGN Bungie interview with Luke Smith and the other guy. Then they go into Pro spec dump and state how the CPU bump is very small compared to the GPU and how both pro and scorpio are more geared towards higher resolutions.

Then cite Battlefield 1 as a game which attempts to tackle the issue and how BF1 was designed as a game targeting 60 FPS. Then they cite some examples of Pro games which offer unlocked frame rates like Rise of TR and InFamous.

Then they go into how the Surge is an example which runs at 30 on Base PS4 and 60 on Pro (optionally) and how introducing this in a multiplayer game like Destiny will cause fundamental mismatches in PvP.

Then they cite how Shanon Loftis, in response to a recent article from someone at MS which said devs are free to use the resources as they please, from MS also states that as a developer, they don't see any developer choosing 30 FPS on base vs 60 FPS on Scorpio.

-griffy-

Banned
Are there any multiplayer games where the base PS4 runs 30 and the Pro runs at 60? I thought we had already moved past the idea that you can just expect a jump to 60fps on Pro, especially if the game is bumping the resolution.

Tecnniqe

Banned

If its not tinfoil its acid hats.

ViciousDS

Banned
love that they go into battlefield one and the unfair framerate advantage for the Pro......THANK YOU!

these consoles targeted resolution increase pretty much ONLY (Hence the increase framerate almost exclusively to base resolutions), this was to deliver an equal ground experience while catering to new UHD technology

There are dumb conspiracy theories and then there is this...

Nheco

it's tinfoil hat time!

tinfoilhat.jpg

luulubuu

tinfoil-hat-guy1.jpg

Same, brother.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Isn't it basically so PS4P wont have an advantage in MP when playing against PS4OG players?

That's what it boils down to in the end.

Even if they leave the frame rate unlocked for Pro owners, it's still a big disadvantage to Base owners.

Did you read the summary before concern trolling or whatever this is?

Akronis

No shit they're targeting 4K. That's why they opted for a better GPU, not a CPU. You aren't going to magically get more frames (in most cases) unless you're 100% GPU limited.

Top Bottom