• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: Secrets of the WiiU GamePad

Apart from the buttons and sticks, which are likely extremely cheap for Nintendo to manufacture/acquire from a manufacturer (they're on various controllers for various, much smaller costs), and the decoder chip, what other components does it contain? Serious question, as I'm just going off what I've read.

Gamepad
Screen (resistive)
Plastic casing
Buttons
Analog sticks
WiFi chip
Video decoder chip
Camera

Cheap tablet
Screen (multitouch)
Plastic casing
CPU & quad-core mobile GPU
1GB RAM
8GB flash memory
WiFi chip
Camera

I'm honestly struggling to see what can be so expensive about the gamepad, unless that decoder chip is ridiculously costly to produce - I can't imagine it being expensive enough to push the cost up so much.

you forgot the nfc

Hanmik

so basically the screen isn´t much different than my 2 year old daughters toy..?

inno200le1.gif

Taker666

Apart from the buttons and sticks, which are likely extremely cheap for Nintendo to manufacture/acquire from a manufacturer (they're on various controllers for various, much smaller costs), and the decoder chip, what other components does it contain? Serious question, as I'm just going off what I've read.

Gamepad
Screen (resistive)
Plastic casing
Buttons
Analog sticks
WiFi chip
Video decoder chip
Camera

Cheap tablet
Screen (multitouch)
Plastic casing
CPU & quad-core mobile GPU
1GB RAM
8GB flash memory
WiFi chip
Camera

I'm honestly struggling to see what can be so expensive about the gamepad, unless that decoder chip is ridiculously costly to produce - I can't imagine it being expensive enough to push the cost up so much.

NFC reader, mic, accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer.

Volotaire

People often forget the R and D and wages and so on... that also need to be included within the price of the Wii U.

As it was custom, more effort was probably need to be put in then your average tablet.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well one defence for the resistive screen on the GamePad is that drawing with a stylus is much easier than with a finger. And yes I am aware of the Galaxy Note.

Reading this page, one point made is that a capacitive stylus needs to be at least a 1/4" thick. Is this true? Would make all that pixel art on Miiverse a right pain.

M3d10n

Interesting. If it's vanilla h.264, it means the Wii U could use the hardware video encoder to capture gameplay footage and upload it to youtube or similar services, similar to the PS4 and Durango.

Margalis

Banned
I'm confused, are people arguing that capacitive screens are just as accurate even though that's clearly false, or are they arguing that accurate controls don't matter in video games?

SmokyDave

(Maybe also learn to spell "recognize")

Pffft. We started this language shit, and this the motherfucking thanks we get?

I'm confused, are people arguing that capacitive screens are just as accurate even though that's clearly false, or are they arguing that accurate controls don't matter in video games?
I don't think they're arguing either. I think the argument is probably that a multi-touch screen would've been a superior choice overall.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Ah good old false equivalence. Theres not going to be a videogame that focusses on touch controls to such minute precision undetectable by the mass market that could highlight the difference between capacitive and resistive because it would be an unsaleable product.

Instead, resistive users are beset by no multi-touch that can be used in game design and implementation.

As taken from the last page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afw9e-9uSPY.

Haha, didn't catch that language snafu on first pass, what a clownish backfire taken with all the rest. Nintendo is serious business it brings this out in people! Gotta go defence.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Is the concept of "capacitive screens are accurate enough to support accuracy intensive games while also offering many more possibilities for games through a multi-touch interface" easy enough for you to understand or do I need to break it down further

Well one defence for the resistive screen on the GamePad is that drawing with a stylus is much easier than with a finger. And yes I am aware of the Galaxy Note.

Reading this page, one point made is that a capacitive stylus needs to be at least a 1/4" thick. Is this true? Would make all that pixel art on Miiverse a right pain.

Yeah, the Wii U does have hundreds of such games.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What's weird is he spelt it both ways in that post.

And you can sign your name digitally right here sir. No not with your hands!
If people want to complain about a touchscreen, they should put their efforts towards whatever the hell couriers use. If you've managed to actually write your signature on one of those machines then you are a God amongst men.

If people want to complain about a touchscreen, they should put their efforts towards whatever the hell couriers use. If you've managed to actually write your signature on one of those machines then you are a God amongst men.
You cant even use your finger to write on those things at all though. It wont register

You seem to be the one guilty of defense force delusions.

Capacitive screens are less accurate. This is a simple scientific fact. End of story.

Is it also mental bias to think that the sun is hotter than a stove top? As an adult you should recognise that different technologies have different strengths and weaknesses and that correctly identifying a strength is not "mental bias." (Maybe also learn to spell "recognize")

Oh dear. If you're going to go for the throat than make sure your write about it.

mine came out as 2 dots on a delivery yesterday

Oh yeah, those things are nasty.

lenovox1

Yeah, the Wii U does have hundreds of such games.

Where are the hundreds of games that would have been improved with multitouch?

Where are the hundreds of games period?

At this point, this woke argument us silly as all.get out. Nobody gives a fuck at the end of the day. It doesn't effect anybody's experience with the few games that utilize the touch screen.

And at least a couple of pretty pictures were drawn due to it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Hah, we got something similar in Sweden, when you apply for a a new ID you have to use a stylus to write your signature on a touchscreen. Then when you go get the card you have to write your signature on the card itself, a lot of the time they go "Nope, they don't match, try again"

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

With the nature of the app market being an unending waterfall of content, yes there are most likely literally hundreds of games that cannot be simply ported to the WiiU due to their multi-touch implementation.

Wouldn't it be best to give an example of a game not based off of a single touch DS game?

The example rests your honour. Anything that requires you to hold one part of the screen while touching another cannot be recreated on WiiU. Thats game design possibility, not the difference between capacitive and resistive.

lenovox1

With the nature of the app market being an unending waterfall of content, yes there are most likely literally hundreds of games that cannot be simply ported to the WiiU due to their multi-touch implementation.

And, with the nature of the app market, nobody has a clue what those apps are and nobody cares. NOBODY CARES.

and there are also litterally hundreds (well thousands) of games who's only use of multi touch is to poorly emulate a controller

Margalis

Banned
Is the concept of "capacitive screens are accurate enough to support accuracy intensive games while also offering many more possibilities for games through a multi-touch interface" easy enough for you to understand or do I need to break it down further

Is the concept of not denying basic science just to try to win a silly argument really difficult?

"Have you ever used a say a Nexus 7 or iPad Mini, or anything in the same space as the WiiU's 6.2 inches? They may well blow your mind if you havent and consider the WiiU unbeatably accurate."

The fact is the WiiU gamepad is more accurate. This is not because I love the Wii U and hate endless runners and aren't an adult, it's because capacitive screens work differently from resistive screens.

It's not even about debating which is on the whole better for games, the discussion hasn't even moved past people mangling basic facts because it suits them.

Whether or not a capacitive screen would be better for the Wii U can be debated. (Although I don't care too) Which technology is more accurate cannot be - at least not in good faith. Yet it is.

sakipon

Yep. I really doubt adding multitouch capable screen would have saved the console or done any improvement whatsoever. However being able to draw such images is atleast something the system is unique about. You won't see that on the next Xbox or PS4.

There could be more apps to make use of it though. I'm sure some stuff is incoming (Art Academy perhaps?), but they should've been available earlier. I'm still saying there should be an app offering Nintendo pics for coloring purposes. One could then share their (or their kids') finished art to Miiverse.

Where are the hundreds of games period?

At this point, this woke argument us silly as all.get out. Nobody gives a fuck at the end of the day. It doesn't effect anybody's experience with the few games that utilize the touch screen.

I linked a video of the game JuBeat here, which wouldn't be possible on the Wii U.
And there is a reason why multitouch screens are industry standard.

It's way easier just to use two fingers to move on a minimap with all the scroling and zooming then a pen and extra buttons solution.

Pineconn

I do hope they update the video codec. You can see some compression artifacts, and some of the richer colors (like red) are fairly fuzzy on the GamePad. I guess that's the price to pay for low latency.

Stylus:
Pixel perfect precision
writing
drawing without constant zooming

multitouch:
pinch to zoom
virtual buttons (lol)

I prefer the first one. (edit: on a games machine)

cloudyy

Really? Resistive has better accuracy, which is useful for handwriting that Miiverse uses. The need for multi-touch is lessened by having buttons.

Burai

shitonmychest57
ITT: People with shitty, cheap Android devices think that all capacitive touch screen sensors are as inaccurate and laggy as theirs.

Taker666

I linked a video of the game JuBeat here, which wouldn't be possible on the Wii U.
And there is a reason why multitouch screens are industry standard.

It's way easier just to use two fingers to move on a minimap with all the scrolling and zooming then a pen and extra buttons solution.

..or you can just use the left stick to move and the right stick to zoom in and out....or the touch screen to move and a stick to zoom in and out.

Cannot freaking wait until someone hacks the thing to stream to and from a PC for playing games. Just the idea is cool.

Getting it to stream video of your gameplay sounds like it won't be hard. That might be neat for broadcasting game playthroughs.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Is the concept of not denying basic science just to try to win a silly argument really difficult?

"Have you ever used a say a Nexus 7 or iPad Mini, or anything in the same space as the WiiU's 6.2 inches? They may well blow your mind if you havent and consider the WiiU unbeatably accurate."

The fact is the WiiU gamepad is more accurate. This is not because I love the Wii U and hate endless runners and aren't an adult, it's because capacitive screens work differently from resistive screens.

It's not even about debating which is on the whole better for games, the discussion hasn't even moved past people mangling basic facts because it suits them.

Whether or not a capacitive screen would be better for the Wii U can be debated. (Although I don't care too) Which technology is more accurate cannot be - at least not in good faith. Yet it is.
I did not deny science in my post ("accurate enough" implies that they are factually less accurate than resistive and need to be qualified in such a way) nor did I talk about any model of tablet. Please try to remain coherent.

nbthedude

It will inevitably become a remote play unit for the PC. And that will be fucking AMAZING.

If this ever happens, my Wii U purchase will be justified. Until then I just regret buying it. It is only in hope of eventually playing my Steam games over ithe pad that I even keep the thing.

Taker666

What a nightmare.

Using such a cheap compromise instead what is standard since 2007. And ignoring the fact that it would kill the use of a touchscreen in the first place.

..but not close to as cheap a compromise or a nightmare as using virtual sticks and buttons to control a game on a tablet.

Rich!

If this ever happens, my Wii U purchase will be justified. Until then I just regret buying it. It is only in hope of eventually playing my Steam games over ithe pad that I even keep the thing.

Holy shit. I've just realised - if this does happen, then we'll get superb 3rd party support on the Wii U, even if its not in the intended manner!

...and I will have a handheld Dark Souls 2 that I can play in bed.

Oh the possibilities

Joni

Stylus:
Pixel perfect precision
writing
drawing without constant zooming

multitouch:
pinch to zoom
virtual buttons (lol)

I prefer the first one. (edit: on a games machine)
Yes, writing and drawing are obviously better features on a game machine. Stuff like zooming wouldn't be useful at all for games like adventures.

Top Bottom