• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: Secrets of the WiiU GamePad

wsippel

Banned
You quoted me and I talked about multi-touch devices.
Ah, sorry. Well, the GamePad is already expensive enough as it is, and capacitive would be even more expensive. Doesn't really matter if it's $1 or $10, the current solution is cheaper and does exactly what it's supposed to. And again: Nintendo wanted stylus input. To get that at the targeted precision, you need Wacom tech, adding another $30 or $40 bucks.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
not popularity vs the iPad, the fact that drawing on Miiverse is popular and wouldnt be possible with an iPad like capcacitive touchscreen.

I've shown you multiple examples above that the iPad is perfectly capable of drawing great pictures with software.

And this is the WiiU's problem all over: it offers nothing new that can be perceived by the public, and its one big innovation with the wifi streaming of images is an "invisible cost" that people dont really find that impressive.

goomba

Banned
speculation

nonsense - if I want to do something on the screen, why is using more than just one finger/pen not "so useful"?

cheap troll attempt

Its speculation that drawing on Miiverse is hugely popular?

Sure multitouch would add some possibilities but on iOS/Android mutlitouch is used to create virtual buttons and sticks which is oviously not required on wiiu

Truth hurts?

Risette

A Good Citizen
All the videos posted here doesn't have one bit of pixel by pixel drawing.
please point to where pixel by pixel drawing is mentioned here:
iOS devices can not be used for drawing like the Samsung Galaxy Note.
not popularity vs the iPad, the fact that drawing on Miiverse is popular and wouldnt be possible with an iPad like capcacitive touchscreen.

(also please tell me *why* anyone would actually want to draw pixel by pixel)

Margalis

Banned
If you're going to make the crux of your system a tablet controller, it better be a good experience.

Honestly to me the touch is far less relevant than having a screen.

I like the touch - it's good for using the web browser, for navigating Netflix, for drawing in Miiverse and for entering text via the software keyboard. However when it comes to games having a second screen (or a portable screen) is much more important than what form of touch the screen has if it has any at all.

If the screen had no touch whatsoever my game playing experience wouldn't change that much.

I don't consider it a tablet - it's a controller with a screen. With touch. In that order of importance.

At no point playing a game have I ever thought "this would be better with multitouch", nor have I ever thought "man I wish this had a bunch of iOS ports!" Pinch to zoom would be nice in the web browser - that's all I've got as far as realistic ways multitouch would make my life better.

Pinch to zoom on an in-game map? My hands are busy playing the game, I'd rather tap a button with my thumb.

SmokyDave

I would be curious for which game did Pie and Beans miss the multitouch on his Wii U gamepad?

For me, Zombi-U. I'm so used to using capacitive screens that I'd occasionally start to drag an item in my inventory, only to have it 'spring' back into place because I wasn't pressing hard enough. Obviously there's the whole 'map on a screen that I can't pinch to zoom or rotate' thing too, but it's mostly the inventory that pissed me off, because you're under pressure when you use it.

wsippel

Banned
please point to where pixel by pixel drawing is mentioned here:

(also please tell me *why* anyone would actually want to draw pixel by pixel)
This might surprise you, but pixel art is actually a thing. A lot of people apparently enjoy drawing that way. ;)

dave_d

Original accessories are always expensive. An original Wii remote costs 4 times as much as a third party controller. So that is the context you need to understand the pricing within.

To be fair at least when I push down on the d-pad of my Wiimote the Wii registers that as down, not right when we try the same thing on my nephew's 3rd party Wiimote.

Somnid

Just a quick demonstration I whipped up:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13787691/JS/Experiments/TouchDelta/index.html (touch the screen)

The smallest radius I could get on my Kindle Fire zooming with a capacitive stylus is a 3 meaning it can only register to the nearest 3 pixels in either direction (in fact zooming is sorta cheating but I do want to somewhat account for DPI concerns, unzoomed it's to 15 pixels). Anyway Wii U obviously scores a 0 which means there is no ambiguity which pixel was targeted. Any device with maximum input precision should score a 0 or 1.

Maybe I'll update this in the future to have more demonstrative tests but 5 minutes says capacitive absolutely has no comparison. You have to zoom until the pixel is actually greater than that uncertainty threshold to hit the same accuracy.

Shiggy

Nope, check my post on the other page.

Oh, sorry. I thought you wanted to say that there weren't any games so there was no way he could miss multi-touch. But if you actually go deeper into Android/iOS gaming, you will find quite a few titles, not necessarily relying on multi-touch technology, that would enhance the Wii U lineup.

zigg

R&D is written off as expense as the years go by, every major tech company in the world spends some money on research.
Do you understand what "written off" means? Do you think it means that the money is assumed to never be recovered? It would be a truly stupid company that does not expect to remake the money they spent researching and developing a product.

How can you say X amount of money out of every console sold goes to cover past research when you have no idea how many consoles you're going to sell?
There are these things called "projections" which I hear allow this to happen. They're really new to business and have never been used before, so I can understand why you haven't heard of them.

I'd be damned if I'd let a rich company guilt me for researching a new product..
Ah, I see, you expect charity from a for-profit company in the consumer electronics field.

What's funny is the Gamepad is going to become completely useless as 5GHz WiFi becomes more common. I already have random disconnect issues because of all the 5GHz networks around me. (The worst part is, I have a feeling that most of my neighbors with these 5GHz routers aren't even using devices capable of using the frequency. They're just broadcasting noise into the air).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
miiversepost.png

miiversepost2.png

"Drew" this with a multi touch device.

EDIT: I just can't stop.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
For me, Zombi-U. I'm so used to using capacitive screens that I'd occasionally start to drag an item in my inventory, only to have it 'spring' back into place because I wasn't pressing hard enough. Obviously there's the whole 'map on a screen that I can't pinch to zoom or rotate' thing too, but it's mostly the inventory that pissed me off, because you're under pressure when you use it.

Finally some constructive discussion. I see your point. I use the stylus most of the time (to keep the screen as clean as possible) and I didn't have any troubles with not registering the input, but you are right with that. About the zoom, I am more used to double tap than pinch to zoom and I think rotate could be implemented (I am not sure about that).

Oh, sorry. I thought you wanted to say that there weren't any games so there was no way he could miss multi-touch. But if you actually go deeper into Android/iOS gaming, you will find quite a few titles, not necessarily relying on multi-touch technology, that would enhance the Wii U lineup.

I pointed out only the paradox between "tablets are no competition for consoles, touch games are not real games" and "Wii U should have the best capacitive multitouch screen so it can play all the great those great games"

Of course Wii U could use some games from Android/iPad world and I would love to see them ported to the console. I hope the new framework will help with that.

Somnid

What's funny is the Gamepad is going to become completely useless as 5GHz WiFi becomes more common. I already have random disconnect issues because of all the 5GHz networks around me. (The worst part is, I have a feeling that most of my neighbors with these 5GHz routers aren't even using devices capable of using the frequency. They're just broadcasting noise into the air).

Generally this shouldn't happen. It'd be like your internet constantly cutting out because literally every wifi device is broadcasting over 2.4GHz.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
And about the range my guess is that Nintendo put a cap on the signal quality and if it drops below a certain limit it produces the "disconnect" error to manage the video quality of the gamepad screen.

-MB-

Obviously Wiiu dosn't use Miracast itself, they said so themselves,
as they stated they worked with Broadcom to customise it for the wiiu, making it essentially no Miracast anymore.
Miracast itself uses bogstandard wifi devices, which are merely Miracast Certified, not completely different hardware wise at all.

the dragging just takes a little getting used to, works fine for me once i did

MarkusRJR

Honestly to me the touch is far less relevant than having a screen.

I like the touch - it's good for using the web browser, for navigating Netflix, for drawing in Miiverse and for entering text via the software keyboard. However when it comes to games having a second screen (or a portable screen) is much more important than what form of touch the screen has if it has any at all.

If the screen had no touch whatsoever my game playing experience wouldn't change that much.

I don't consider it a tablet - it's a controller with a screen. With touch. In that order of importance.

At no point playing a game have I ever thought "this would be better with multitouch", nor have I ever thought "man I wish this had a bunch of iOS ports!" Pinch to zoom would be nice in the web browser - that's all I've got as far as realistic ways multitouch would make my life better.

Pinch to zoom on an in-game map? My hands are busy playing the game, I'd rather tap a button with my thumb.
If you read my post (and not just the first sentence) you'd see that I wasn't just talking about the screen. The Game Pad as a whole just isn't that great.

Also, replying to someone's criticism of a product with the equivalent of "well it works for me" and "I don't even need _____ on my device so I don't mind" is a discussion nonstarter.

bobeth

Do you understand what "written off" means? Do you think it means that the money is assumed to never be recovered? It would be a truly stupid company that does not expect to remake the money they spent researching and developing a product.

There are these things called "projections" which I hear allow this to happen. They're really new to business and have never been used before, so I can understand why you haven't heard of them.

Ah, I see, you expect charity from a for-profit company in the consumer electronics field.

You don't understand. R&D is a known quantity to Nintendo, it is water under the bridge, a done deal, all in the past, paid for. If they claim they lose money with every console sold, it means exactly that. The material and man-hours needed to build and ship that piece of hardware costs more than what it is sold for. If they claim otherwise, they are lying, because they can't guarantee they'll reach their target. How come they never claimed to lose money on hardware sold? You think the wii, gamecube and N64 were spawned out of thin air?

You expect to make a return on that investment. But you don't generally include R&D as part of the cost per unit as far as I'm aware; it's a sunk cost.

The claim of negative margins should imply that per unit the costs of selling exceed the revenue generated.

My only experience with multitouch has been my iPhone. I've disliked the inaccuracy enough to not use it to play games. It seems a lot like motion controls to me: occasionally frustratingly inaccurate to use but fun when a game is designed to hide its shortcomings, making it feel accurate. Maybe multitouch just takes a bigger screen to shine so the need for accuracy is less important.

I just remembered that resistive multi-touch screens exist. Since it's possible on both, it is a mystery as to why single touch was chosen. Oh well.

"I don't see any reason why it could not send GamePad video/audio to the internet

Am I imagining an Iwata asks where they mentioned the possibility that this technology could theoretically do exactly that?

sakipon

Because Draw Something isn't a thing or anything...

Is that the best example of precision? Looks like something 12 yo made with a brush. Fun for a throwaway party game sure, but for an artist..? In Miiverse you can draw stuff that looks like it was made with a pencil.

Margalis

Banned

You missed "write." I assumed it was intentional because nobody can get that many words wrong.

I'm completely willing to admit that "recognise" is an acceptable alternate to "recognize" the moment Pie and Beans admits to being wrong about what he wrote. In other words: never!

The GamePad itself isn't anywhere near as complex as even the most basic Android tablet

might be correct on some technical level, but in terms of possibilities it seems to me the Gamepad can do everything tablets can do and more, because of the 2nd screen.

Yeah like checkers =p

Jacobi

Banned
Is that the best example of precision? Looks like something 12 yo made with a brush. Fun for a throwaway party game sure, but for an artist..? In Miiverse you can draw stuff that looks like it was made with a pencil.

Miiverse is some much more popular than Draw Something, too

jett

D-Member

I'm sure artists all over the world will be throwing away their multitouch wacom tablets and pick up a Wii U.

xJavonta

Banned
So the game pad should be more in the $80 ballpark and not the fucking ridiculous $140 they ask for it. Got it.

I can't believe people are still trying to bang this incredibly misinformed drum. Yes. the millions of touchscreen tablets and smatphones on the market today have woefully inaccurate touch sensors which EVERYBODY complains about and don't deliver the absolute pixel precision required to play highly technical games such as slopping down giant blocks in NSMBU or tapping large menu items.

Oh and before we even get started on "Miiverse drawings!!", AutoDesk Sketchbook Pro and other highly efficient drawing apps are used by millions worldwide on iPads with their fingers to produce HD images of outstanding quality, or of course further still on Galaxy Notes with inbuilt Wacom technology.

The Nintendo DS was in 2004. Technology unsurprisingly moved on (the reason why Nintendo is failing to capture hearts and minds) and so should your ignorance.
QFT.

Top Bottom