• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.

udivision

Also, people keep choosing to ignore that the 3DS is the most successful gaming system currently on the market. Nintendo's dead in the water because the Wii U only sold 12 million units!*

*The 3DS has sold 60 million units and has a bunch of highly successful software

And yet people in this thread keep saying that the 3DS' successor, the NX, will be a failure because the Wii U was a failure.

Ask yourself, what is the significance of the 60 million units sold by the 3DS?
What is the current climate of the gaming industry?
What does the market look like for handhelds? Are companies dropping out of the (dedicated handheld) market?
Would it be reasonable to expect overall market growth or decline?

What is Nintendo's main audience? Are they being served by other markets, or has Nintendo proven that they can retain new audiences gen over gen?

Instro

Also, people keep choosing to ignore that the 3DS is the most successful gaming system currently on the market. Nintendo's dead in the water because the Wii U only sold 12 million units!*

*The 3DS has sold 60 million units and has a bunch of highly successful software

And yet people in this thread keep saying that the 3DS' successor, the NX, will be a failure because the Wii U was a failure.

The 3DS is hardly a success story. It's going to end up being their worst selling handheld by a fair margin and a huge step back from it's predecessor. That's with a massive price drop after a quarter of being on the market, which cost them a lot of money. That also ignores that the dedicated handheld market itself contracted very badly this gen, and many developers are leaving handhelds behind or bringing it multi-platform with mobile. The performance of the 3DS is as much a concern as the WiiU.

Hilarion

It's just seemed really straightforward to me ever since the Eurogamer leak and the other leaks that supported it what direction this was going. The 3DS' successor is the NX, the Wii U's successor is nothing at all. It makes it so confusing to me when I see people constantly referring to the NX as the Wii U's successor when it should so clearly be thought of as the 3DS' successor.

Hilarion

What is Nintendo's main audience? Are they being served by other markets, or has Nintendo proven that they can retain new audiences gen over gen?

Nintendo's main audience is clearly the tens of millions of people who have a 3DS and may or may not (probably not) have a Wii U because the 3DS sates their need for Nintendo games. They're clearly best served by another dedicated handheld.

udivision

It's just seemed really straightforward to me ever since the Eurogamer leak and the other leaks that supported it what direction this was going. The 3DS' successor is the NX, the Wii U's successor is nothing at all. It makes it so confusing to me when I see people constantly referring to the NX as the Wii U's successor when it should so clearly be thought of as the 3DS' successor.

Because it's a "hybrid" it's a successor to both. In reality, yes it is just a handheld.

It doesn't help perception that the only game announced for it is literally a Wii U game.

Nintendo's main audience is clearly the tens of millions of people who have a 3DS and may or may not (probably not) have a Wii U because the 3DS sates their need for Nintendo games.

The problem is that audience is shrinking, as mobile sates the needs of many other gamers though.

AmyS

Sigh. You're making it sound like Nintendo is nearly leaving the stationary home console market, if not outright abandoning it.

Would it be too much to think that Nintendo is preparing a few game presentations to show what the SCD can offer core console gamers?

1st impressions mean *everything* you know. Nintendo has this one chance with the NX reveal to "wow" western audiences, as well as developers who haven't been shown NX at all.

I know... pipe dream...

2jZigVp5.png

Why did you post a pic of a green pipe from Flappy Bird? So strange.

;)

Hilarion

It doesn't help perception that the only game announced for it is literally a Wii U game.

They're already toying with that this past gen. Wiki has Smash 4 3DS selling 8.2 million units lifetime, compared to Smash 4 Wii U selling 4.9 million units lifetime. Smash 4 came out in 2014 and is about as much of a "console" experience as you can get, and millions more people preferred it on a dedicated handheld.

3DS software sales have pretty consistently shown that the market for full gaming experiences on a dedicated handheld is actually pretty robust. Wiki has Fire Emblem Awakening, a title in a niche genre not served at all by consoles (and one of many reasons I feel the 3DS has a much superior software lineup to any of the three consoles), at nearly 2 million sales. That's far higher than the Wii Fire Emblem game's sale.

Wiki cites Nintendo as claiming that Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon had 4.9 million sales worldwide,and that's a revival of a decade-dead series that met with pretty decent, but not phenomenal, reception.

This idea that the 3DS somehow is unhealthy is insane and out of touch with reality of how its software actually performed.

Schnozberry

Sigh. You're making it sound like Nintendo is nearly leaving the stationary home console market, if not outright abandoning it.

Handheld technology has reached a point where they can surpass the Wii U's power envelope pretty comfortably and maintain the form factor of a portable. The power gap will only become less of an issue over time. Laying a proper foundation now could set them up for long term success if they hit the right notes and gain some market share.

imjust1n

Banned
One thing I've wanted was a smartphone that had portable controllers if that what this thing is then count me in. I don't care if this thing is not as powerful as long as I can play my home console games at home and then take it with me to play handheld games. 6 inches is only .3 inches bigger than my phone so.... I highly doubt it's gonna be clunky

Wtf now some people think the 3DS is a failure?

Cmon I understand it didn't sell close to the DS, but 60 million is terrible now. Seriously not counting the fact it was selling in an environment where fucking mobile has taken over and you're telling me 60 million is not good.

All this bullshit negativity with people saying the NX is going to be delayed, complaining about Nintendo's PR, and that the NX is already a failure without even seeing the fucking damn thing is pretty irritating.

Edit: Sorry if I seem pretty irritated, but seeing the same damn things being posted in every so called NX rumor threads can be annoying. I think I should take a break.

Hilarion

I'm actually not sure that home consoles have been Nintendo's primary pillar for any time in the 21st century. The GBA famously propped up Nintendo through the Gamecube era, and the Wii's success paled compared to the DS. Handhelds have arguably been Nintendo's leading platform since Pokemon came out.

Just like Sony had a successful console and a struggling handheld and took the latter line out behind a toolshed and put it out of its misery, I think Nintendo is doing the same with its home console line. It's probably the only decision that makes sense for them.

Anth0ny

well, tomorrow's the big day

either they announce something, which would be great

or they don't, and the january announcement is confirmed

no pressure

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Am I the only one who remembers the Wii's first year as rather lackluster?

Outside of Excite Trucks and Wii Sports, the first year was dominated by GameCube carry-overs like Super Paper Mario and Twilight Princess. I can't remember a single high quality third party game hitting the Wii the first year outside of Zak and Wiki and RE4. Mario Galaxy finished off the Wii's first year nicely, but that was the ONLY big holiday '07 game outside of...Umbrella Corps?

The console branding and controller caught the masses, but the Wii didn't hit it's stride until 2008-2010 if you ask me. Then it fell off a cliff.

I don't think they can afford to have a weak first year like the Wii or the WiiU. The Wii atleast sold a bazillion units, but I really don't think it was quality core software that drove those sales.

I think the NX delays and silence are so Nintendo can really blast out the gates and carry the console for the first 18 months. That's why I'm personally excited for the grand reveal, I expect to see a slew of franchises and in-house developed AAA titles to hit the console in the first year. F-Zero included.

Wii girato year was amazing
You didnt mentioned metroid prime 3 for ex ampie, and both zelda and paper mario werent bad becasue of being GC ports
It was Very cohesive and rich

It performed far below Nintendo's own expectations and previous handheld systems, both in terms of hardware and software. In that sense, one can describe it as a failure.

It's probably going to be the second best selling gen8 system, especially when you consider that these refreshes have effectively cancelled generations and moved to the smart phone model

Hilarion

I just don't see this argument that the 3DS was a failure. Despite a bungled launch with no software and an unpalatable price, the thing has achieved very respectable hardware and software sales across a very diverse library. Hell, the previous sentence could just as easily have described the XBox1 (though the 3DS will likely outperform it lifetime) and people don't describe it as a failure.

I see no reason why another dedicated handheld couldn't sell well. The 3DS' continued strong software sales today shows that a large market is active and interested in dedicated Nintendo handhelds.

Shiggy

It's probably going to be the second best selling gen8 system, especially when you consider that these refreshes have effectively cancelled generations and moved to the smart phone model

I think you can strike the "probably" with the Wii U being an obvious failure. And as a European, I consider the Xbox One as a similar failure.

Really hope that consolidating to a single device will not only improve the customer experience for Nintendo gamers, but also the sales for Nintendo.

Maxinas

I just don't see this argument that the 3DS was a failure. Despite a bungled launch with no software and an unpalatable price, the thing has achieved very respectable hardware and software sales across a very diverse library. Hell, the previous sentence could just as easily have described the XBox1 (though the 3DS will likely outperform it lifetime) and people don't describe it as a failure.

I see no reason why another dedicated handheld couldn't sell well. The 3DS' continued strong software sales today shows that a large market is active and interested in dedicated Nintendo handhelds.

It's not a failure, not a success, it's just there. It's the successor to the best-selling handheld system ever, so it had to live up to high expectations.

A handheld could still sell very well, and even do better than the 3DS will lifetime, you never know. Nintendo has to hit all the right marks to make it happen however, and people have the right idea in lacking optimism when nintendo hasn't had a clean record for a few years now.

AniHawk

the 3ds is a failure in the same sense the ps3 was: it greatly underperformed expectations and the sales of its predecessor and cost its parent company a lot of money. while sony and nintendo turned around their respective platforms, they could never bring either one to the prominence of their predecessors.

the 3ds did worse in sales, but the 3ds has the 'benefit' of existing at a time when dedicated gaming was on a steep decline, while the ps3 happened during the objective peak of dedicated gaming in terms of sales. meaning, perhaps the successor to the 3ds could do well in the same climate if nintendo has a more attractive device and overall better support. the ps4 had to basically be a home run and sony accomplished that with years of planning good strategy (that i think they're basically squandering now as the ninth gen starts).

NX is World 7 Confirmed

Even funnier if you think about the following, NX will be Gen 7 for Nintendo (concerning home consoles) :p

Why is there so much negativity here? Why should it be delayed or canceled?

Man, God send Jesus to the dessert for 40 days and he survived :p Give our lord and savior Nintendo some time :p

In other news I bought something on amazon.de and to qualify for free shipping I added Yoshis New Island for 3DS (Nintendo Select) is it any good? :D

Malakai

Ask yourself, what is the significance of the 60 million units sold by the 3DS?
What is the current climate of the gaming industry?
What does the market look like for handhelds? Are companies dropping out of the (dedicated handheld) market?
Would it be reasonable to expect overall market growth or decline?

Can't the same arguments be used for home consoles?

Malakai

Wii is, to this date, one of the most well conceived piece of technology from the XXI century.
It's from a time when Nintendo knew exactly what they were doing, exactly what they were selling and for whom they were doing it. And a good portion of that success were due to the posture they adopted.

You could see an entire philosophy behind the console. The concept was clear as day. If you watch the 2006 E3 press conference, you can easily say Nintendo knew they had a massive hit at their hands. They just knew it.

I really don't get what moved Nintendo - commercially - from a self aware company to the Wii U era: trying to embrace everyone, sending a message to someone and selling the product to no one.

You have to realize that the Wii and Nintendo was often trashed by the gaming media. No matter what Nintendo during the era there was barge of articles of how it was fad and it will fail eventually. You had developers calling it a fucking "virus". You had plethora of articles saying that Nintendo wasn't a technology company anymore. So much FUD was spread with about the Wiir . For example, to this very day, even various members on this forum still believe that Wii owners didn't buy any games for despise it selling over 900 million pieces of software. Yet, the gaming media was often flooded with articles after articles on how this "new causal audience" didn't buy any software.

You have to realize that the Wii and Nintendo was often trashed by the gaming media. No matter what Nintendo during the era there was barge of articles of how it was fad and it will fail eventually. You had developers calling it a fucking "virus". You had plethora of articles saying that Nintendo wasn't a technology company anymore. So much FUD was spread with about the Wiir . For example, to this very day, even various members on this forum still believe that Wii owners didn't buy any games for despise it selling over 900 million pieces of software. Yet, the gaming media was often flooded with articles after articles on how this "new causal audience" didn't buy any software.

I still dont get the "nobody bought games for it" I personally owned more than 50 games for the console, thats more than I owned for PS2. Hell I still got like 15 games I even play from time to time...

Nags

Banned

Waggle was bad. And yes, it was a fad. Wii ultimately was a bright flame that burned out quick. Motion controls exist for VR now.

AdanVC

My last ever prediction I will make about this dumb device and when it's gonna be revealed: After Paper Mario Color Splash is released. Less than two weeks.

skypunch

Banned
Wii's success made Nintendo cocky. Even with Wii U's failure, Nintendo are still pretty cocky. It will be their downfall.

Stubborn and arrogant, that's what Nintendo is.

Wii's success made Nintendo cocky. Even with Wii U's failure, Nintendo are still pretty cocky. It will be their downfall.

Wait what? Nintendo has always been cocky...
The domintaed the handheld market for how long? Since the release of the Gameboy?
They will release there 7th generation home console soon and the Wii was a huge success overall (isnt the margin Nintendo made with the Wii ridiculously high, while Sony and Microsoft losts loads of money in the beginning of the console gen?)

Nintendo saw the fall of Atari, the fall of Sega, the fall of Sony (in the handheld market) and has the most sold franchises ever...I think they are allowed to be cocky if they want to.

skypunch

Banned
Wait what? Nintendo has always been cocky...
The domintaed the handheld market for how long? Since the release of the Gameboy?
They will release there 7th generation home console soon and the Wii was a huge success overall (isnt the margin Nintendo made with the Wii ridiculously high, while Sony and Microsoft losts loads of money in the beginning of the console gen?)

Nintendo saw the fall of Atari, the fall of Sega, the fall of Sony (in the handheld market) and has the most sold franchises ever...I think they are allowed to be cocky if they want to.

So basically Nintendo is the video game company equivalent of Bono. That's not respectable.

After Wii U's failure, the last thing they should be is cocky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom