• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Lock if old.

Foxconn Electronics and Pegatron have begun production of the PlayStation (PS) 4 Pro, a new Sony game console to be launched on November 10, and Foxconn has undertaken trial production of the NX, a new Nintendo games console, according to industry sources.

Foxconn is the largest OEM for Nintendo NX, followed by Japan-based Misumi Electronics and Hosiden, the sources noted. Annual production of Nintendo NX is estimated at 9.5-10 million units, the sources said.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160922PD207.html

Oddduck

Digitimes.

That is all.

Emily mentioned it three days ago.

Tiny Update #1 — September 20th, 2016

Toshiba, Megachips, and Macronix are all involved with the Nintendo NX.
Toshiba is the world’s second-largest NAND chip maker after Samsung. They also manufactured the flash memory chips for the Nintendo 3DS.
NX hardware is finalized. Don’t expect any drastic changes.
NX is now entering a very early stage of production.

Zero percent chance of NX being delayed from its March launch.

Devil

Does Foxconn leak a lot? Are NX leaks to be expected soon?

Can't believe myself how thirsty I am for something more concrete on NX.

themandu

So what are we talking about, a release in the March - June period?

What does trial production mean?

Trial production is a limited run designed to find flaws in the product or manufacturing process, production for commercial release follows this sometime later.

So what are we talking about, a release in the March - June period?

Trial production is a limited run designed to find flaws in the product or manufacturing process, production for commercial release follows this sometime later.

A release in March, as Nintendo have confirmed multiple times.

Calm Mind

10m units annually or LTD sales?

906a597d0e6ce661b9ed236d2fd0b216.jpg

10m units annually or LTD sales?

Not sure if you're making a joke, but in any case, 10 million units seems reasonable given that it's primarily a handheld device that's also consolidating their handheld and home console userbase into one ecosystem. Of course, it's possible that it'll bomb or even exceed expectations, but that appears to be a safe number of units.

ggx2ac

Can it be made, what issues need to be resolved while making it, assembly chain stuff, etc.

Just logistics of making efficient, good quality production a thing.

We're going to be waiting until the end of October for an NX announcement aren't we?

(I just don't know how long it would take for them to get a bunch of working units to use for their reveal.)

The question to ask now is: will the software be ready in time?

Given how dry the output has been on the Wii U, I would certainly hope so. Furthermore, they have a few titles they can port over from the Wii U that are sure to pad out their launch day offerings if they felt it was necessary.

Shiggy

While I have no doubts about this, Digitimes isn't exactly the best source. They have a lot of fake stories/rumours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom