• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Oh wow I'm surprised!

Digitimes reads Emily's blog!

But seriously, this site is never going to be banned, is it? There's a chance that they're actually reporting on something that they heard from Foxconnon trial production being underway, but this is when it would need to be underway anyway for a March launch. The 10 million part is most likely just completely made up to add more substance and spice though, since it's the same made-up line they've been regurgitating for the past year.

The sad thing is that a lot of you are taking this as fact or confirmation, even though this site has one of the worst track records ever.

MuchoMalo

Banned
To all people expecting Foxconn leaks:

Not to mention the fact that he leaked that much closer to launch than now. Such a leak would happen around December, but NX will be revealed by then.

For what it's worth, Mochi from the WSJ tweeted the article out a couple hours ago, so he must think most of it is legit.

Or, more likely, he's just unaware of how phony this site is but heard about the trial production and went along with it. Keep in mind that this same article also mentions that the PS4 Pro has "started production." I mean... duh? It started months ago! Seriously, this site is nothing but clickbait.

Ludens

Banned
Isn't Foxconn one of those "suicide" factory in China?
One of the worse factory even used by Apple etc?
If so Nintendo is disgusting for using them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'll never get the Paper Mario (or any game specific) argument

It releases on the 7th of October. Why would that be in the way of the 30 other days of that month?

People think PSVR will take attention away. I think October is fine.

I hope this is true, if it is then NX is almost certainly confirmed for March 2017(or sooner?) PS4 pro production is starting just one month ahead its launch, so if it takes only about one month to mass produce a console and NX is already in the trial production stage so....
Now i guess Nintendo has to show it before leaks from China come out. October it is i guess, November is Pokemon and NES mini month, plus PS4 Pro and lots of other main games releases, December seems too late, also Mario Maker and Mario Run to promote that month.

According to the FoxConn guy that leaked the designs of the Slim and Pro, the Pro has been in mass production since at least August.

AGITΩ

So announcement of an announcement today hopefully? C'mon im dying here. We might get leaks of the system design before an official announcement at this point.

According to the FoxConn guy that leaked the designs of the Slim and Pro, the Pro has been in mass production since at least August.

We need him to draw us the NX in Paint

One of the worst factory even used by Apple etc?

That's all true, but It's one of the best places to work in China D:.. so imagine the other factories.
And a lot of brands use them, Sony, Microsoft, etc..

First of all, Foxconn has factories in many other countries too. Secondly, it's very hard, if nigh impossible, to find any piece of electronics from major transnational company that doesn't have at least some components manufactured by Foxconn.

Genio88

Yes it is, but it's not just used by Apple, everybody uses it, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Samsung, Nvidia, AMD etc etc

LordRaptor

The sad thing is that a lot of you are taking this as fact or confirmation, even though this site has one of the worst track records ever.

There's basically no real reason to doubt either a March launch or that it would be in trial production by now to meet that.

pastrami

Here are some of the many things Digitimes has reported over the years.

PS4 will ship 16 million consoles in 2013: http://www.gamespot.com/forums/syst...llion-ps4s-shipping-this-holiday-se-29362076/
PS4 will have Kinect like controls, will ship 20 million consoles in 2012: http://kotaku.com/5817874/report-the-playstation-4-will-have-kinect-style-motion-controls
NX to start production Q1 2016: https://m.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/c...nter_mass_production_in_q1_2016/?ref=readnext
NX production delayed to early 2017: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1226953&page=1

Excuse the secondary sources, their older articles are behind pay walls. And this is really just scratching the surface, but I think it's clear that Digitimes has no reliability.

ggx2ac

Here are some of the many things Digitimes has reported over the years.

PS4 will ship 16 million consoles in 2013: http://www.gamespot.com/forums/syst...llion-ps4s-shipping-this-holiday-se-29362076/
PS4 will have Kinect like controls, will ship 20 million consoles in 2012: http://kotaku.com/5817874/report-the-playstation-4-will-have-kinect-style-motion-controls
NX to start production Q1 2016: https://m.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/c...nter_mass_production_in_q1_2016/?ref=readnext
NX production delayed to early 2017: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1226953&page=1

Excuse the secondary sources, their older articles are behind pay walls. And this is really just scratching the surface, but I think it's clear that Digitimes has no reliability.

That is the problem, their claims are rarely reliable.

It just might be the one time they are right about trial production happening now because a guess will eventually be right if it happens at the right time. But not their claim of 10 million units being produced, it sounds as made up as the other claims in the quote.

Edit: Look at this quote from the 2017 delay thread from the link in the quote.

Nintendo wished to enhance the game console's video-game/handheld-game-integrated gaming experience and add virtual reality (VR) function into the system to gain advantages in the upcoming video game and mobile game competitions

Digitimes claims this but there has been no rumours that NX is using VR.

They are even saying Nintendo wants to use VR. lol

MuchoMalo

Banned

I hate to break it to you, but chances are that nearly every electronic device you own is manufactured by Foxconn, including your PS4 or Xbone.

There's basically no real reason to doubt either a March launch or that it would be in trial production by now to meet that.

I agree, but that doesn't change the fact that Digitimes most likely completely made up/guessed all or part of this article.

AGITΩ;217829540 said:
So announcement of an announcement today hopefully? C'mon im dying here. We might get leaks of the system design before an official announcement at this point.

Nah, announcement of an announcement either 27th Sept or 4th Oct, you heard it here first
I actually dont know, just my stupid guesses...

Annual production is only 10 million? That seems small

Nah, announcement of an announcement either 27th Sept or 4th Oct, you heard it here first
I actually dont know, just my stupid guesses...

September 27th isn't a bad guess. It's a great guess. I think that is the day Nintendo will finally announce the reveal date for NX.

Hermii

I hate to break it to you, but chances are that nearly every electronic device you own is manufactured by Foxconn, including your PS4 or Xbone.

That doesn't make it less disgusting though. Cheap electronics are more important to westerners than peoples life's. I'm part of the problem as well, but I hate it.

That's the whole basis of the console gaming industry. To have successful hardware people must believe it will be successful.

As long as people enjoy buttered toast, buttered toast rules.

Man I fucking love buttered toast.

Or even better, PEANUT buttered toast.

Mmmm, peanut butter.

What were we talking about?

ggx2ac

That doesn't make it less disgusting though. Cheap electronics are more important to westerners than peoples life's. I'm part of the problem as well, but I hate it.

I'm very curious about what China's government thinks of it...

Edit: Went off-topic.

Annual production is only 10 million? That seems small

September 27th isn't a bad guess. It's a great guess. I think that is the day Nintendo will finally announce the reveal date for NX.

Yeah somehow my belly says 27th for the announcement of the reveal, with the reveal probably following 2 or 3 days later.

Übermatik;217830647 said:
Man I fucking love buttered toast.

Or even better, PEANUT buttered toast.

Mmmm, peanut butter.

What were we talking about?

Somehow most NX threads get a bread or butter them inbetween...I remember someone saying some about "best invention since sliced bread"...

This is a Nintendo handheld that is not limited to the living room it's going to sell.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 3DS trending poorly compared to the DS? No doubt a Nintendo handheld will do better than a Nintendo console but I don't think being a handheld in and of itself will make it a success. I think 10m/yr is a very optimistic number.

Yeah somehow my belly says 27th for the announcement of the reveal, with the reveal probably following 2 or 3 days.

I know I mentioned this in another topic, but things September 27th has going for it.

-it's on a Tuesday which is Nintendos favorite day to make announcements
-Fall season has already begun and Nintendo said no NX talk until Fall
-No game conferences or game shows next week
-No holidays next week
-No Pokémon news finally next week (or on that day specifically)
-Nintendo representative at GameStop Expo said NX news is coming very soon
- The rumor is early October for full reveal so if it's the first week of October, for example, they could give a weeks notice.

Tbf Nintendo does announcements on a Wednesday too, but the gist of what I'm saying is next week if really the first week we should've expected any Nintendo news.

Hermii

I know I mentioned this in another topic, but things September 27th has going for it.

-No holidays next week
- The rumor is early October for full reveal so if it's the first week of October, for example, they could give a weeks notice.
Its Grpundhog day!!!

ggx2ac

-No holidays next week

Tbf Nintendo does announcements on a Wednesday too, but the gist of what I'm saying is next week if really the first week we should've expected any Nintendo news.

Emily Rogers never said early October. She posted a picture of a Halloween pumpkin with the message October.

Unless you heard someone else cite Early October?

-No holidays next week

I'm calling Thursday.
And if I'm right, I want at least a few utterly naive people wondering if I work for Nintendo.

-No holidays next week

Tbh I think you are right and I think the 27th Sept is the safest option with all the "information" floating around, yet if someone would put a bet up, I wouldnt really bet on it...with Nintendo you never know...

But if its the 27th I bet it will be evening time in Japan, so noon in Europe and early morning and I hope the same will be said for the actual reveal, cause I really want to see it live...

Emily Rogers never said early October. She posted a picture of a Halloween pumpkin with the message October.

Unless you heard someone else cite Early October?
My bad. I should've said WSJ's analysts thinks it will be early October and Emily said October.

I'm calling Thursday.
And if I'm right, I want at least a few utterly naive people wondering if I work for Nintendo.

I can't wait. You're going down buddy!

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
They can increase or decrease the production afrer that initial 10m depending on the sales of the NX.
Nintendo publically forecasted 9M Wii U sales in the first year, later dropped their forecast to 4M, and ended up selling something like 2.5M IIRC.

Hopefully NX will be a different story!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Put all your electronic devices in The trash bin if you want to avoid anything manufactured at foxconn

MuchoMalo

Banned

While true, it unfortunately means that we're kinda stuck. Also, it's not limited to westerners. It applies even to people living in China.

ozfunghi

Well, cheap electronics is one thing. But the products that are being sold at a premium with a huge markup, at the expense of these factory workers, that's even more disgusting.

Scrawnton

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 3DS trending poorly compared to the DS? No doubt a Nintendo handheld will do better than a Nintendo console but I don't think being a handheld in and of itself will make it a success. I think 10m/yr is a very optimistic number.

You're right that 3DS is behind DS, but DS' explosion happened before smart phones. 3DS is doing great considering how drastically things changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom