• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.
350m for packaged software only. The real figure with indies, VC, and so on is probably a good bit higher.

Are digital purchases of retail games counted in that chart? I would imagine that number has increased greatly for all platforms over the past gen.

Caffeine

Isn't Foxconn one of those "suicide" factory in China?
One of the worst factory even used by Apple etc?
If so Nintendo is disgusting for using them.

pretty much every electronic you have ever bought uses them. phones, tablets, consoles, handhelds, kindle, computer parts, etc.

Smellycat

Trial production? Does this mean some of the units made in those runs will be used for the announcement montages? So, mid October reveal?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Honestly, given how Emily even said it's "ahead of schedule", and that it won't get delayed, I believe the release date should still fall in March, especially if we suppose an October reveal.

...Hopefully, SA can clarify soon enough.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My guess is ShockingAlberto is hinting that it has actually been in production already for some time.

Honestly, given how Emily even said it's "ahead of schedule", and that it won't get delayed, I believe the release date should still fall in March, especially if we suppose an October reveal.

...Hopefully, SA can clarify soon enough.

It's probably not delayed. Probably.

MuchoMalo

Banned
IIRC Wii U had a similar target, as they thought they will sell 6M of it (like the Wii) between the release and March 2013.
Since they barely sold half of this, they quickly and drastically slow down the production, and still sat on maybe millions of consoles from their primary stock.

I'm curious to know if people have sources and numbers, because I wouldn't be surprised if half of the Wii U's were produced during the first 12-18 months.

They probably expect closer to 3DS numbers than Wii U. But either way, it's still Digitimes. First of all, there's no way they'd know the forecast. Second,t what they're saying here is that 9.5-10 million is all Foxconn is able to produce annually. Third, they're saying that the shipment target is identical to the production target, and I don't think that really works. Also, keep in mind that their original claim was that Nintendo had a target of 20 million (in 2016 no less) but that only 10 million could be produced, and then later it changed to Nintendo cutting their forecast from 20 million to 10 million "due to the fact that video game console market has been shrinking and concerns triggered by its Wii U's unsatisfactory shipment performance of two million units in 2015." Even if we assume that the first report was from before NX was internally delayed to 2017, it still mean that they are saying that Nintendo took their estimate for the first 6 months of sales, and then cut it in half as their forecast for the first 9-10 months of sales, based on Wii U's 2015 sales (as if they somehow didn't know how it was doing) and a shrinking market (which isn't even really accurate). This site is trash and everything the say is completely made up for clickbait.

Trial production? Does this mean some of the units made in those runs will be used for the announcement montages? So, mid October reveal?

I would imagine they have some prototypes made already that are usable for videos, but trial production devices can be used for press hands on events, or demoed at expos, or maybe even for the public at malls/Best Buys/etc.

I would guess mid-early October reveal, followed by several more events leading up to March. Having it playable in malls during the holidays would be a huge boost.

Oersted

Isn't Foxconn one of those "suicide" factory in China?
One of the worst factory even used by Apple etc?
If so Nintendo is disgusting for using them.

Acer, Amazon, Apple, Cisco, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Intel, Microsoft, Motorola, Nintendo, Nokia, Sony, Toshiba, Vizio and Samsung.

I assume you are a Sony customer and therefore a disgusted Sony customer.

Go buy a Fairphone.

MuchoMalo

Banned
If I recall I think he was banned before for bad info. I'm not 100% on that if anyone wants to clarify. I may have him mixed up with someone else.

You recall correctly. It was over the controller hoax. Based on what we know now though, there may actually be an explanation for the people who corroborated that though. They heard about NX not having built-in face buttons. What do you get if you look at the NX without the controllers?

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Can't wait for NX. I own all three systems-PS4, Wii U and Xbox One.

The Wii U is the second most played system in our house.

To know that solid rumors indicate it's more powerful than a Wii U and it has
a 720p screen, makes me think of the exciting possibilities the system has.

If Nintendo is smart, they'll pack in Zelda-Breath of the Wild. Talk about killer app!

maxcriden

If Nintendo is smart, they'll pack in Zelda-Breath of the Wild. Talk about killer app!

No offense at all intended, but. Think it would actually be unwise of Nintendo to pack in BotW. The benefit of a popular individual title like that is that it can sell SW units on its own. They need to pack a lower development cost title in, like a Wii Sports. Something to show off the system and get people interested, but not Zelda that will be an evergreen and massive seller on its own.

Jackano

They probably expect closer to 3DS numbers than Wii U. But either way, it's still Digitimes. First of all, there's no way they'd know the forecast. But second is that what they're saying here is that 9.5-10 million is all Foxconn is able to produce annually. THey're also saying that the shipment target is identical to the production target, and I don't think that really works. Also, keep in mind that their original claim was that Nintendo had a target of 20 million (in 2016 no less) but that only 10 million could be produced, and then later it changed to Nintendo cutting their forecast from 20 million to 10 million "due to the fact that video game console market has been shrinking and concerns triggered by its Wii U's unsatisfactory shipment performance of two million units in 2015." Even if we assume that the first report was from before NX was internally delayed to 2017, it still mean that they are saying that Nintendo took their estimate for the first 6 months of sales, and then cut it in half as their forecast for the first 9-10 months of sales, based on Wii U's 2015 sales (as if they somehow didn't know how it was doing) and a shrinking market (which isn't even really accurate). This site is trash and everything the say is completely made up for clickbait.

Thanks. It's good news to me.
Like I posted earlier, it's careless to me to send design for production (even trial production) without at least minimal press or consumer feedback.

I hope the most played is the 3ds ;) nah I totally agree with you man, it's an exciting time, and I can't wait. Little sad for the dual screen to be somewhat retired, but the device sounds great.

ggx2ac

Hm, real interesting to get this story now.

Scenario A: NX has already been in trial production and Digitimes is making up shit.

Scenario B: NX is nowhere near trial production and Digitimes is making up shit.

Scenario C: Digitimes is right...

Which one would give a confirmation of info that insiders would know?

A, oh who knows, I could be wrong.

Sadist

Hmm somewhat offtopic... in the Ubisoft interview with Guillemot he says about other NX projects being revealed; "We are working on some projects; you will see something at some point soon."

But what is soon :(

It's not smart to pack in Zelda. It's not some cheap game like Nintendo Land or Wii Sports. It's a hardcore killer app title and they know people will pay $60 for it. It should be sold separately for maximum profits.

Scenario A: NX has already been in trial production and Digitimes is making up shit.

Scenario B: NX is nowhere near trial production and Digitimes is making up shit.

A, oh who knows, I could be wrong.

I think he's saying it's scenario A.

Oh good, we're back to "I might know something but I'm not telling" bullshit, huh?

Yeah, I sure as hell missed that.

I didn't want to say it, but I'm glad you did lol. It's annoying when someone comes in here with their one-liner and leave. Either say something substantial or don't say anything. You make it look like you want attention, especially when news is scarce and we've been waiting so long for the reveal.

A

Or he knows when the reveal will be announced/happen, and it's imminent.

Or he knows another leak is coming shortly, potentially based on info from Foxconn.

Edit:

Oh good, we're back to "I might know something but I'm not telling" bullshit, huh?

Yeah it does get pretty annoying.

Mmh

BY2K

Membero Americo

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Agreed. It gets old really, really fast.

MacTag

Banned
Are digital purchases of retail games counted in that chart? I would imagine that number has increased greatly for all platforms over the past gen.
They are. Only digital exclusives aren't counted, presumably because they tend to carry much lower pricepoints.

Rosti extrapolated an unusual piece of data from an obscure German newspaper clipping that seems to confirm the anticipated presence of a imminent reveal.

Zoon

If we assume an early October reveal it makes sense that Nintendo already has the final product on their hands.

ChaosXVI

There's really no reason to doubt the information...but at the same time I feel like anyone could have just guessed this and still be right, nothing that is being claimed is in any way outlandish.

I can't believe we are 1 week away from it being October, and we still don't have even an announcement for the announcement. I'm not expecting the time between announcement and reveal to be like a Direct where it's 1-2 days. I'm expecting at least a week.

But who the hell knows, because Nintendo's gonna Nintendo.

thefro

I'll mention this for what it's worth:

Emily Rogers (pretty sure it was her) was invited to the NintendoNX subreddit dischord chat and stayed for about an hour 2-3 days ago. She said she was confident on her sources when someone asked if Nintendo was still going to have an early October reveal for NX.

She also mentioned there was a Nintendo SDK update coming on October 11th at 2:30 PM EST (might have been 2:45 PM). She wasn't sure if that was the big NX update or was just more 3DS/Wii U stuff.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Rosti extrapolated an unusual piece of data from an obscure German newspaper clipping that seems to confirm the anticipated presence of a reveal.
I don't remember doing that.

In all seriousness, I'm just awaiting Nintendo's FY 2016 Corporate Management Policy Briefing / Second Quarter Financial Results Briefing tentatively scheduled for October 27. A reveal of NX may or may not happen prior to that, but I am confident they will talk about NX during the briefing. Also, there may be a news conference on October 26 in conjunction with the earnings release. That NX will be releasing in 2017 was announced during an earnings release news conference.

I've gotten so lost in the rumor and speculation I'm having a hard time remembering...did Nintendo explicitly say there were going to talk about NX by the end of the year or simply that it will release in March?

I'll mention this for what it's worth:

Emily Rogers (pretty sure it was her) was invited to the NintendoNX subreddit dischord chat and stayed for about an hour 2-3 days ago. She said she was confident on her sources when someone asked if Nintendo was still going to have an early October reveal for NX.

She also mentioned there was a Nintendo SDK update coming on October 11th at 2:30 PM EST (might have been 2:45 PM). She wasn't sure if that was the big NX update or was just more 3DS/Wii U stuff.

Hmm, I don't think she ever specifically said early October on Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom