• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pif

Banned
You're right that 3DS is behind DS, but DS' explosion happened before smart phones. 3DS is doing great considering how drastically things changed.
I still think that DS opened the floodgates for 100% touch devices acceptance ala iPhone and the early droids.

The palm PCs with their resistive screens never took off.

LordOfChaos

Is it at all likely Nintendo is going to do an Apple-ish "ready to order right now" right at the keynote, with shipping a few weeks later?

maxcriden

Is it at all likely Nintendo is going to do an Apple-ish "ready to order right now" right at the keynote, with shipping a few weeks later?

Exceptionally unlikely. Apple does that for refreshes and variations of existing products, but the original iPhone was announced several months prior to launch.

Scrawnton

No, I doubt it. Apple is selling you a device. Nintendo is selling a device and games and you need months of lead up to market a game. If they shocked everyone with a short reveal and release, they would be upsetting third parties I imagine.

ggx2ac

Too low in my opinion.

10m per year :(

We don't even know if it's true, we'd have to compare it to Nintendo's current fiscal year forecast and the one for the following year to see if Digitimes isn't making things up.
(Of course there would be varying factors such as how successful NX will be but that means we would see revisions to the forecast.)

Too low in my opinion.

10m per year means Nintendo expect to be a little better than Wii U only.

Well remember their shortages with the Wii? Ordering low has historically worked out a lot better for them than ordering high.

But I wouldn't trust this article anyway, Digitimes is very hit or miss.

MacTag

Banned
Too low in my opinion.

No, Wii U sold just over 10m lifetime. 3DS was closer to 10m annually but even it breaks down differently.

edit: Annual hardware shipments:

Nintendo 3DS
FY11 3.61m
FY12 13.53m
FY13 13.95m
FY14 12.24m
FY15 8.73m
FY16 6.79m

Wii U
FY13 3.45m
FY14 2.72m
FY15 3.38m
FY16 3.26m

Pif

Banned
Also, mandatory:

For+your+enjoyment+my+dear+_bbe6293f86b176605ca3c3e480dbe23f.gif

LordOfChaos

Exceptionally unlikely. Apple does that for refreshes and variations of existing products, but the original iPhone was announced several months prior to launch.

No, I doubt it. Apple is selling you a device. Nintendo is selling a device and games and you need months of lead up to market a game. If they shocked everyone with a short reveal and release, they would be upsetting third parties I imagine.

Good then. Uh...Good.

*shoves money back in wallet and cries*

You're right that 3DS is behind DS, but DS' explosion happened before smart phones. 3DS is doing great considering how drastically things changed.

Just because you point out the reason why 3DS was doing bad (phones), doesn't mean that it was doing good. Japan was the only place 3DS could be considered great.

10 mill per year sounds like it will be hard to find. :/
Sounds like it's going to be the next Wii and you better get ready for the midnight launch lol.

I love the midnight launch for the Wii. There was like 100 people waiting in line for it. Maybe Nintendo would want the same for NX.

Jackano

Your math is really weird. The 10 million part was most likely completely made up, though. Don't worry.

IIRC Wii U had a similar target, as they thought they will sell 6M of it (like the Wii) between the release and March 2013.
Since they barely sold half of this, they quickly and drastically slow down the production, and still sat on maybe millions of consoles from their primary stock.

I'm curious to know if people have sources and numbers, because I wouldn't be surprised if half of the Wii U's were produced during the first 12-18 months.

Too low in my opinion.

Is it too low? I see it as responsible. Better to sell out and have to reup production rather than make too many and be unable to issue a price drop because retailers have so much invested in the consoles.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
IIRC Wii U had a similar target, as they thought they will sell 6M of it (like the Wii) between the release and March 2013.
Since they barely sold half of this, they quickly and drastically slow down the production, and still sat on maybe millions of consoles from their primary stock.

I'm curious to know if people have sources and numbers, because I wouldn't be surprised if half of the Wii U's were produced during the first 12-18 months.

IIRC Iwata publicly stated that they expected to sell 9M Wii Us in the first year on the market. They later lowered their forecast to 4M. The actual # was 2.5M.

Scrawnton

Just because you point out the reason why 3DS was doing bad (phones), doesn't mean that it was doing good. Japan was the only place 3DS could be considered great.

3DS is doing good in America. They lead the NPD sometimes and huge releases crack the NPD. 3DS is doing great in Japan.

IIRC Iwata publicly stated that they expected to sell 9M Wii Us in the first year on the market. They later lowered their forecast to 4M. The actual # was 2.5M.
Sort of!

In the Wii U's first fiscal year (Apr '12 - Mar '13), Nintendo initially estimated 5.5 million sales, lowered that to 4 million, and eventually got 3.45 million sales.

In the Wii U's second fiscal year (Apr' 13 - Mar' 14), Nintendo initially estimated 9 million sales, lowered that to 2.8 million, and eventually got 2.7 million sales.

Those numbers are for each fiscal year, so when Nintendo estimated 9 million sales, that doesn't include sales from the previous fiscal year.

3DS is doing good in America. They lead the NPD sometimes and huge releases crack the NPD. 3DS is doing great in Japan.

They lost 90 million handheld costumers and everything points to the decrease not stopping. Total 3DS software is closer to GCN than the next best handheld performance (GBA).
,,Great".

They lost 90 million handheld costumers and everything points to the decrease not stopping. Total 3DS software is closer to GCN than the next best handheld performance (GBA).
,,Great".

Yet you still cant compare 3DS to the older handhelds cause 3DS lives in the smartphone generation...

Hopefully the NX will be posing for Mr. Blurrycam any day now.

>Blurry picture
>FAKE
>such a sad try obv Ninty wouldn't do this
>I can't believe these idiots believe this horrible fake
>wow more images, someone is trying wayyy to hard to sell this
>Nintendo announcement of announcement
>Can't wait until all of these n00bs are proven wrong
>announcement
>same as leak
>Nintendoomed

Entirely how I see this scenario playing out. There was FOOTAGE of smash bros and people were still calling fake... but I will say after the oval controller you can never be too skeptical.

Anth0ny

>Blurry picture
>FAKE
>such a sad try obv Ninty wouldn't do this
>I can't believe these idiots believe this horrible fake
>wow more images, someone is trying wayyy to hard to sell this
>Nintendo announcement of announcement
>Can't wait until all of these n00bs are proven wrong
>announcement
>same as leak
>Nintendoomed

Entirely how I see this scenario playing out. There was FOOTAGE of smash bros and people were still calling fake... but I will say after the oval controller you can never be too skeptical.

then it's confirmed real

>it actually looks pretty nice
>at least it's not the same as the competition, that would be boring
>I love the look of the NX! can't wait to buy one!

Peltz

Dude... 3DS is a world wide success at 60 million units. Just because something doesn't reach DS numbers (which are a historic high point) doesn't mean it was doing badly.

MacTag

Banned
They lost 90 million costumers and everything points to the decrease not stopping. Total 3DS software is closer to GCN than the next best handheld performance (GBA).
More accurately it's almost between GBA and GC software totals. And that's without even considering digital exclusives. It's going to finish somewhere between 300m and 400m which isn't too bad historically, in the company of GBA and SNES.

GB: 501.10m
GBA: 377.42m
DS: 948.37m
3DS: 282.65m

NES: 500.01m
SNES: 379.06m
N64: 224.97m
GC: 208.57m
Wii: 914.88m
Wii U: 88.72m

Eliseo

More accurately it's almost between GBA and GC software totals. And that's without even considering digital exclusives. It's going to finish somewhere between 300m and 400m which isn't too bad historically, in the company of GBA and SNES.

In the smarth phone era, 350m sw sounds good.

Those Wii and DS numbers. Never cease to amaze

Status