• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question to ask now is: will the software be ready in time?

You'd hope so, NX software development is why the Wii U had such a dry 2016.

I'd expect quite a few jazzed up wiiu games in addition, as the wiiu market was so small barely anyone got to play them. If the NX is a real success they might as well sell them again.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Nintendo officially said that they delayed NX to have the software ready at launch.
Doesn't mean it will be..

That's why we ain't hearing shit yet
I really hope they'll have some surprises for the reveal.

I assume a huge part of the 2017 release is precisely for the software being ready. What comes out a month or 2 after launch is critical to maintain momentum.
Indeed, but previous launch window lineups have been lacking.

Given how dry the output has been on the Wii U, I would certainly hope so. Furthermore, they have a few titles they can port over from the Wii U that are sure to pad out their launch day offerings if they felt it was necessary.
Wii was completely barren (besides Zelda) for two years and Wii U software still wasn't even close to being ready for launch. I hope the device itself is exciting enough to convince people to buy it even for ports.

To all people expecting Foxconn leaks:

On one hand, this is an early production, so that Foxconn worker may not be involved. On the other hand, that worker posted those PS4 drawings on Chinese gaming forum a9vg, which is a notorious place full of hostile Sony fanboys (way more hostile than those in western forums, the place is so notorious that Chinese Nintendo fans are always avoiding that place). He may not even want to post info about a Nintendo console because people just don't care about it.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

Hermii

Reasons I think the lineup will be decent:

Wii U development has been dry for a long time

3ds -"-

No split development and efficiency gains by reorganisation will take effect.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Doesn't mean it will be..

I really hope they'll have some surprises for the reveal.

Indeed, but previous launch window lineups have been lacking.

Wii was completely barren (besides Zelda) for two years and Wii U software still wasn't even close to being ready for launch. I hope the device itself is exciting enough to convince people to buy it even for ports.

I trust Yves when he says that Nintendo learned from Wii U.

The name FOXCONN still sounds like a name out of a movie where the villain owns a company...though the way FOXCONN treats its employees, this thought isnt that far off...

jdstorm

Banned
10M units annually. I'm definitely going to preorder 5. If this takes off to 3ds numbers there will be a nice profit to be made on eBay

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Übermatik;217826528 said:
Nintendo could make buttered toast and Yves Guillemot would appear on camera saying he loves it. It's in Ubi's interest to plug every hardware partner.

That's the whole basis of the console gaming industry. To have successful hardware people must believe it will be successful.

As long as people enjoy buttered toast, buttered toast rules.

Thoraxes

We're going to be waiting until the end of October for an NX announcement aren't we?

(I just don't know how long it would take for them to get a bunch of working units to use for their reveal.)

I personally don't think it'll be that long at this rate, but the reason they're doing this stuff now is so they could have full production (and stress/repetition/materials testing done on production units) up probably in a couple months, barring any major snags along the way.

Chittagong

Gold Member
What does trial production mean?

Once you do prototype production you use soft tooling that produces something very close to the final thing, but isn't robust enough for volume production. Changes to soft tooling are cheaper, so you try to nail everything with soft tooling.

Once you go to trial production you will invest in hard tooling, which is very expensive, will last for millions of units and is not changed lightly. In trial production you test out that the hard tooling and final production line works as assumed. From there you go to full production.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It would be funny if Nintendo pulls a PS4 Slim and some NX ends up sold on ebay and reviewed before being announced.

Genio88

I hope this is true, if it is then NX is almost certainly confirmed for March 2017(or sooner?) PS4 pro production is starting just one month ahead its launch, so if it takes only about one month to mass produce a console and NX is already in the trial production stage so....
Now i guess Nintendo has to show it before leaks from China come out. October it is i guess, November is Pokemon and NES mini month, plus PS4 Pro and lots of other main games releases, December seems too late, also Mario Maker and Mario Run to promote that month.

It's either that or they risk overmanufacturing like the Wii U

Wasn't there some talk about initial production on Wii U being in the region of 10 million units or so too? Obviously that turned out to be hugely overproduced - it took years to sell through - but coming off the back of the Wii that must have looked like a reasonable initial run.

Guymelef

I hope this is true, if it is then NX is almost certainly confirmed for March 2017(or sooner?) PS4 pro production is starting just one month ahead its launch, so if it takes only about one month to mass produce a console and NX is already in the trial production stage so....
Now i guess Nintendo has to show it before leaks from China come out. October it is i guess, November is Pokemon and NES mini month, plus PS4 Pro and lots of other main games releases, December seems too late, also Mario Maker and Mario Run to promote that month.

No.

I guess someone knows the answer to the question, but is this the first time a nintendo product might start production, before it even was announced?

I think the only other time was Sega Saturn, but that was way before the internet was a big thing...

I guess someone knows the answer to the question, but is this the first time a nintendo product might start production, before it even was announced?

I think the only other time was Sega Saturn, but that was way before the internet was a big thing...

It hasn't started production yet and won't for quite a while.

Peru

The NX has been announced, alongside its launch date. It's just that nothing substantial about it has been (officially) revealed.

Anyway we live in different times than with the early game consoles. You don't need endless ramp up periods. October is plenty early for reveal event.

Begun production of ps pro? Isn't it a little late to just be starting? Shouldn't they be loading those on cargo ships just about now.?

N.Grim

September: only 7 days, no time
October: Paper Mario month
November: Pokemon, Nes mini and PSPro month
Dicember: celebrating Christmas, no time
January: epiphany
February: only 28 days, no time
March: NX month, no time to reveal it
etc until the end of times

Joe T.

I had no idea Pegatron had their hand in the console manufacturing process. I still link that name to the HP Pavillion recall and class action lawsuit of 2010 where their Truckee motherboard turned desktop PCs into lemons.

Kathian

Banned

New gen launches definitely but the XL and *NEW* and 2DS were released quite soon after being announced.

Sadist

I'll never get the Paper Mario (or any game specific) argument

It releases on the 7th of October. Why would that be in the way of the 30 other days of that month?

Lucifon

Guessing we're waiting for prototype units and software to be ready for a reveal still then, so...mid October?

I'll never get the Paper Mario (or any game specific) argument

It releases on the 7th of October. Why would that be in the way of the 30 other days of that month?

They need to promote that AAAAAAAA title the whole month. No money left for anything else!

Genio88

September: only 7 days, no time
October: Paper Mario month
November: Pokemon, Nes mini and PSPro month
Dicember: celebrating Christmas, no time
January: epiphany
February: only 28 days, no time
March: NX month, no time to reveal it
etc until the end of times

October seems perfect for the announcement, Paper Mario is just one game for WiiU and they don't care that much about it anymore, it's not like the new Pokemon or Mario Maker for the still alive 3DS, next year really seems too late instead, if March is really the release month...so yes, it has to be October, after all that's what Emily pointed too...
And since got so far i'm gonna call it, it'll be either October 11 or 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom