• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DirectX 12 is on the way

Dawg

SMH at the Windows 8 hate.

More support (W7) is always better though, but the hate W8 gets because of the Metro panel is really bad. Like, I don't think I even use the metro panel for more than ten seconds a day.

iavi

Hopefully it addresses AMD's Mantle.

Windows 8 hate thread? It's like people have never heard of Start8.

8 without start8 is fine as well. It's not even like 8 is a driver-fuckery-riddled mess like Vista @ release was.

The vitriol is old, and unnecessary given this isn't even a thread about 8 specifically.

L.O.R.D

i got PC with windows 8 single language on it
bought a clean windows 8 pro to install it, and the PC didn't let me
anyone know how to force install win 8 pro on a laptop ?

Doffen

8 without start8 is fine as well. It's not even like 8 is a driver-fuckery-riddled mess like Vista @ release was.

I blame lazy OEM's and developers for that mess.
Thankfully I was part of the Longhorn Alpha, so my computer was Vista proof when it reach RTM status.

Guri

Microsoft plans to improve the Start Screen and its apps for KB/M in Windows 8.1 Update 1 and Windows 9, not putting a Start Menu. Still, I said many times before that Start8 and ClassicShell work perfectly for a Start Menu and you never see the Metro part again. So when people say it's 7 with the performance and security benefits of 8, it's true. I think that if people resisting could try with those softwares, they would be impressed.

About DirectX 12, I hope there are enough features for PC developers to work better on the performance. Glad that Mantle and G-Sync are around too.

DryvBy

Microsoft plans to improve the Start Screen and its apps for KB/M in Windows 8.1 Update 1 and Windows 9, not putting a Start Menu. Still, I said many times before that Start8 and ClassicShell work perfectly for a Start Menu and you never see the Metro part again. So when people say it's 7 with the performance and security benefits of 8, it's true. I think that if people resisting could try with those softwares, they would be impressed.

About DirectX 12, I hope there are enough features for PC developers to work better on the performance. Glad that Mantle and G-Sync are around too.

Not for me. I've been having issues simply copying files from one drive to the other. It's like my harddrives are pieces of junk and they're not. Copied a 6GB set of files and it took 28 minutes in Windows 8. That was never an issue in 7 for me.

Redmoon

So I guess its safe to assume the D3D optimizations will be 12 exclusive. Still interested nonetheless.

And If this is exclusive to W8 wouldn't it end up getting a slower/weaker support? Last I checked W7 still holds more than half the market according to Steam.

Somnid

It'll be interesting to see if this has mobile ties. Could give Windows some very large mobile advantages.

maneil99

Not for me. I've been having issues simply copying files from one drive to the other. It's like my harddrives are pieces of junk and they're not. Copied a 6GB set of files and it took 28 minutes in Windows 8. That was never an issue in 7 for me.

You probrably don't have the intel storage driver's or whatever USB interface hub's driver

Guri

Really? That's really weird. It's always a matter of seconds for me. A couple of minutes tops. You should check that.

2San

Since people are acting like windows 8 has no problems this is my experience with it.
Well of a friend of mine needed help to setup his new windows 8.1 laptop. The OS has some good idea's, but it's designed by idiots imo. You have for example skype that somehow directly connects with the windows account you logged and you can only change accounts if you change user on the OS level. The only way to sidetrack this, is by having on a local account. Setting up a local account was unwieldy as fuck. I had to look up a tutorial on how to do that. It's pretty unclear on how to get a local account on initial setup. Since skype is an app the damn thing is always full screen.

Then you have the other problem of options being in the control panel, but another set of options being hidden in the charm bar.

Also for some reason when you start up a browser in desktop mode it's different from the start menu since that's the browser "app". So you have programs and apps, but you can have the same program as desktop program or as app. Or even worse a program only as app. It's a damn Frankenstein hack job.

It baffles me when someone says they don't understand the hate, I mean have you used it?

If you want a snappy OS just get windows 7 with a SSD.

Some positives: It is indeed significantly more snappy than windows 7 on a standard hdd. Formating is made really easy, so anyone can do it (it's not a real reformat, but it works well enough to make a full format obsolete).

I hope Windows 9 is a proper desktop OS again, so I can make the jump again.

pestul

i got PC with windows 8 single language on it
bought a clean windows 8 pro to install it, and the PC didn't let me
anyone know how to force install win 8 pro on a laptop ?
Interesting. I'm guessing you bought the upgrade version? That might be the issue going from an OEM windows 8. You can still do a clean install with an upgrade copy with this work around. Make a backup of the oem windows 8 before doing it.

http://lifehacker.com/5984278/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-8-with-an-upgrade-disc

If its a full version you shouldnt have any trouble booting it and installing 8 Pro after backing up your files / oem 8.

vvise

I wish there was better support for multi-monitor setup. I feel like a hack using nvidia tools to fake one large resolution with questionable start bar / full screen issues.

8.1 was really good on 3 monitors but games wouldn't use all 3 unless using you create a virtual monitor. Since doing that I always have issues when a fullscreen game closes, my metro tabs resize and my start bar is often disfigured.

Also metro runs worse on a single 3x wide monitor than 3 regular monitors.

Holy hell is this a Windows Vista thread?

It takes a while to get over the metro start menu, but that's literally the only difference. Outside of that, the entire OS is better.

derFeef

So someone is ignorant now because they prefer one thing over another?

Yeah ok.

No because someone calls it "windows metro" which simplifies and reduces it down to one element.
And that element is easy enough to ingore if you really hate it or something.

Nokterian

Same, zero interest in that garbage new interface.

What?

Install Classic Shell and all troubles are gone been using it since the release of Windows 8 64 bit and well i am not going back to 7 that's for sure. 8 is way way faster on a ssd and more stable. I am 100% on my desktop every day i have never touched the startscreen since release.

SPDIF

That's obviously not normal. Windows 8 should be faster than Windows 7 for file transfers. Did you do an upgrade from Windows 7 or did you do a clean install?

DryvBy

Really? That's really weird. It's always a matter of seconds for me. A couple of minutes tops. You should check that.

x0AbjAJ.jpg

I'll check my drivers just in case. Giving this thing a chance since I keep hearing it's faster. So far, no.

That's obviously not normal. Windows 8 should be faster than Windows 7 for file transfers. Did you do an upgrade from Windows 7 or did you do a clean install?

Upgrade. I was going to do a clean install but I figured by now, Windows wouldn't run like crap from an upgrade.

dmr87

I'll be surprised if there's Win 7 support, something like this would force me to upgrade in the future. Guess it depends on how much it will be used, DX9 is still here so we'll see.

epmode

I'm glad these threads invariably devolve into Windows 8 bitching. It means Microsoft might actually make Windows 9 worthwhile in response.

What?

Install Classic Shell and all troubles are gone been using it since the release of Windows 8 64 bit and well i am not going back to 7 that's for sure. 8 is way way faster on a ssd and more stable. I am 100% on my desktop every day i have never touched the startscreen since release.

How often did Windows 7 crash for you, anyway? I can go for weeks without restarting, for serious. And running on a solid state drive right now, Windows 7 is already snappy. Even if my load times were cut in half, it would barely be a worthwhile upgrade. The ardent Windows 8 defense on this forum astounds me every time.

Not to go too off-topic, but it wasn't even the interface specifically that pushed me away. It was what Microsoft was trying to set up with Windows 8, for example with the App Store, like how you originally couldn't create a Metro app without going through it for distribution.

I mean, Valve didn't shy away from Windows just because of the Metro interface, did they? They knew something else was up.

Agreed. Installed Windows 8.1 last night and the whole thing has been a disaster compared to how 7 worked. Really trying to give this a chance but so far... blugh.

Install Start8 or Classicshell and you will be home again but with some nice new features.

It isn't hard people. I understand not upgrading just for the hell of it, I wouldn't either. But I really don't understand those that already have it (or never had it) and talk about how awful it is and Metro-this or that. It takes 3-5 minutes to to restore a start menu and make it work like 7. You don't have to be a computer whiz either.

DryvBy

Install Start8 or Classicshell and you will be home again but with some nice new features.

It isn't hard people. I understand not upgrading just for the hell of it, I wouldn't either. But I really don't understand those that already have it (or never had it) and talk about how awful it is and Metro-this or that. It takes 3-5 minutes to to restore a start menu and make it work like 7. You don't have to be a computer whiz either.

Classshell was installed upon upgrade. :)

I like the new icon for the start menu a lot better. The only thing I'm hating is the transfer speeds.

Demigod Mac

Is this going to turn into another W8 sucks thread? Because if so you all are wrong.

Too much ignorance swirling about these threads.

I can perfectly understand staying on 7 if you're satisfied with your machine and have no desire to upgrade.
But holding off on a needed hardware upgrade because of some irrational fear of Windows 8? That's dumb.

Especially considering the thing people FUD about the most (Metro tile interface) can be practically disabled with 2 only minutes of effort.

Who knows what Microsoft will do with DX12? Either way, you should not be working yourselves into a tizzy over Windows 8.

Mairu

Did they fix the mouse lag issues in 8.1 yet or do you still have to set that up for every single game you run?

Nokterian

I'm glad these threads invariably devolve into Windows 8 bitching. It means Microsoft might actually make Windows 9 worthwhile in response.

How often did Windows 7 crash for you, anyway? I can go for weeks without restarting, for serious. And running on a solid state drive right now, Windows 7 is already snappy. Even if my load times were cut in half, it would barely be a worthwhile upgrade. The ardent Windows 8 defense on this forum astounds me every time.

Not mutch so far i know. And what makes windows 8 even better if you do crash you can take 3 options to make it all work again. But i like Win 8 more faster boot,snappier,game performance. It just works good like it intended to be.

plainr_

Since people are acting like windows 8 has no problems this is my experience with it.

I hope Windows 9 is a proper desktop OS again, so I can make the jump again.

Why didn't you download Skype for desktop? The app equivalent of any program sucks but you are not forced to use it.

Shosai

Banned
Too much ignorance swirling about these threads.

I can perfectly understand staying on 7 if you're satisfied with your machine and have no desire to upgrade.
But holding off on a needed hardware upgrade because of some irrational fear of Windows 8? That's dumb.

Especially considering the thing people FUD about the most (Metro tile interface) can be practically disabled with 2 only minutes of effort.

Who knows what Microsoft will do with DX12? Either way, you should not be working yourselves into a tizzy over Windows 8.

Which is like saying that pizza with mushrooms is the same as the cheese pizza you prefer, once you remove the mushrooms.

So order mushroom pizza already.

Why didn't you download Skype for desktop? The app equivalent of any program sucks but you are not forced to use it.

Hey, just like Windows 8! Some of us also don't want to support bad design decisions. The only reason Microsoft put out 8.1 and improved mouse + keyboard support is because there are enough of us refusing to make the switch as-is

Raonak

Banned
since this has become a w8 bitching thread...

I have windows 8. I like it enough.

metro is complete trash though. jarring as fuck. literally two operating systems ductaped together with no consistency. drags down the whole experience, becuase otherwise the desktop part of the OS is fine. feels like win7 for the most part. win+Q is awesome

I'm happy about the win8 hate, because that'll cause MS to ditch metro in win9.

so hate away :)

Top Bottom