• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirty Bomb open beta thread

I played about 10 ranked matches tonight. Went pretty well. Final record was 7-3 I think. Only the last match had someone who turned obvious hacks on midway through the first half when it was obvious they were going to lose.

I ended up getting the rank of gold 5. Sounds decent. I'm not really sure how the ranking works anyway. Just playing with a couple friends. I hope they figure out a way to deal with hackers a bit better, like improving the votekick system or anti-cheat. Demo tools would be nice.

Jenenser

i have rather mixed feelings about this.
gameplay is rather fun, but the shopsystem is abysmal...

and it would've been nice to know that u won't get 15000credits every few level. or that i first need the mercanery to use the loadoutcard on.

i pumped my whole credits into cases, thinking i'd get the char... (i know. i'm an idiot, still. the devs should make these things clearer. )

well, guess i'm stuck with aura than.

I played my first ranked game earlier tonight and it was better than going through quick match.

People actually play the objectives.

Nopren

Can't afford a new merc, so no I won't. Come at me, Everyone.

It's probably different for higher level players. Only just started playing ranked, and Aura seems perfectly capable.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is Aura not viable? I've been playing her exclusively for a while.
IIRC more flanking solo combat medic rather than a more tanky/ranged/more medpacks sawbonez which is preferred.

Sometimes the shotgun 2 shots from so far away it feels like though.

I think aura is mostly fine, but in some ways the health pack is better than the tower in 5v5. And then later phoenix is a bit more mobile. The health tower is somewhat hard countered by fragger anyway, which is immensely strong in high end competitive play due to the strength of the grenade.

The shotgun vs smg is an interesting choice imo. I'd imagine we'll see aura more of a niche pick due to that than a general pick for the breadth of a map.

We may see aura buffed in some way still, they're always watching the data and feedback in both pub and competitive play. She could see some small buffs, if they think it is necessary. We're also going to see 2 more medics released, from the mercs we know about so far.

edit:
Also keep in mind, they've been planning to do a lot of balancing after open beta, when a larger player base in contributing to Echo, their statistic gathering service, which records everything done in every game played.

Karak

I like arty. His primary weapon is pretty high damage per shot. The artillery call can be a little annoying to use, but it is more versatile than the airstrike due to being able to split the attacks up and it'll be available more often.

He is Ace and has allowed me a good number of #1 spots in various games.

mkenyon

Banned
There was only a single Aura used in every one of the matches today. It was for defense in the last stage of Chapel. It failed, and was quickly scrapped.

Aura is terrible. They nerfed the tower into the ground.

Look at it this way: in order to heal your teammates and be a good medic as Aura, they have to be constantly aware of where you are, and are hamstrung by what you're able to do with the station. The best Sawbonez play involves pushers going on rampages, almost completely unaware of where Sawbonez is other than the fact that they aren't dying, and when they do, they get rezzed immediately. Tossing packs and getting consistent hits with it is fairly difficult though. There's even little things, like if you toss the pack when your knife is out, the animation is way faster. So fast, that you actually save time by switching to knife, tossing pack, then switching back to primary, rather than just throwing it with your primary out.

Sawbonez unlocks the maximum potential in your team, which is exactly what you want out of a medic. Aura hampers your team and dictates play. In a game that is so heavily focused on fast movement, she's completely at odds with the meta and even the general concept of what Dirty Bomb is.

At the end of the day, if we're talking about 7v7s, 8v8s, or even 6v6 objective, then it doesn't really matter. The game with that many people is so horribly unbalanced that perfecting that last 10% of a roster has a significantly smaller impact. So, play what you enjoy.

derFeef

He is Ace and has allowed me a good number of #1 spots in various games.

Also be sure not to waste all his arty shots by accident, that can happen fast. I think the timing can use a little tweaking, a small pause between the next targeting could help. Otherwise it's "beep, beep., beep" and all 3 shots are gone, mostly at one spot.

Paertan

Me too. Really liked her. Been doing fine but then I don't play competitive either. Could be a whole lot different there I guess. BushWacker will probably be the first Merc I buy but if Aura is still seen as bad then I will get SawBonez

That is hilarious, but so much mis-information.

All you need is bronze. Spending 20 bucks on a RNG case system like this, is basically what happens in TF2 and you can't expect to get all the best stuff - even when you spend money.

And the guy talking to him said that you had to grind for hours to get a single weapon. That is wrong. 1000 credits is all it takes and that is easy. An hour tops usually. 1 win and you get 250 credits. 1 game played and you get 250 credits. And the missions probably give you about 500 credits on average, times 3, per 3 hours.

Then he said that single weapon would have to be based on RNG, which is again purely wrong information. You can buy specific bronze loadout cards. Bronze is the tier of loadout cards where you get all 3 augments/perks. After bronze it is only cosmetic upgrades. So you can buy the exact cards, with the exact weapon + augment set up you want (that is available of course) without any RNG involved.

Been playing this again over the weekend, I'm starting to enjoy it alot more now. Especially since Kira came into it. She's alot of fun to play as. I didn't buy her, but she's still in my squad tho, what's up with that?
But yeah it's starting to give me those Wolf ET vibes now which is awesome. I just wish some of the maps had more/better objectives

Been playing this again over the weekend, I'm starting to enjoy it alot more now. Especially since Kira came into it. She's alot of fun to play as. I didn't buy her, but she's still in my squad tho, what's up with that?
But yeah it's starting to give me those Wolf ET vibes now which is awesome. I just wish some of the maps had more/better objectives

There is a free merc rotation, kinda like how MOBAs do it. I'm not sure how often it changes but I am guessing weekly. You'll see a little timer above mercs you don't own but have access to due to the free rotation.

I enjoy this game, even though it suffers the same issues.. Good thing it is only a beta build, because the balancing is fucking shit. I've only played so many rounds, but almost every one has been an attacker victory until I tried Stopwatch. There, teams went to shit with all skilled players on the one team and a bunch of incompetent poopers on the other. I was one of those poopers, I won't deny.

Visuals are neat, fast-paced shootin' is really fun, gunplay is pretty great with the use of ADS only in range shootings. It's a pretty fun game, it just feels like <100 ping still doesn't give me accurate hit registry. A few headshots won't kill. At least not in my case. So something is fucked up. But I enjoy this more than Counter-Strike, so I'm fairly stoked that this game could be a really fun shooter.

I'll be playing it more, learn to shooty-shoot better.

Yeah, that is what makes me mad the most. They just talk so much bs and drop dirt on a great game that doesn't deserve it at all.

And apparently people were trying to explain how he is wrong and made mistakes and he accused people of "defending your new game".

This is his full comment:

We know that Bronze Cards give 3 perks and different guns. I stated towards the end its not TECHNICALLY "Pay to Win". However its the drop rates & business model that pissed us off. Where you can end up getting cards you cant use in a pack that you purchased unless you spend more gold to craft them into YET MORE RNG cards (that again you might not be able to use). Also in this game you have to rely on RNG to order to get the "Perks" and "Guns" and Scopes that you want. Thanks for defending your new game, we understand your need to!! I really do. But understand our right to be annoyed by this model that is clearly built specifically for this purpose instead of normal or player selected unlocks, perks, guns and skins. I don't like it and I think its a bad system that shouldn't be duplicated in other games.

Also, In addition to spending $55 on some cards I cannot use or didnt want at all (due to the RNG). I also had gold credits given to my account, I think something like 90K, I heard other streamers were given even more, like 300K. If you only knew how much time that would take you in game to get that amount of gold, you'd see how even more of a problem the drop rates are and the RNG system actually is. You average 100-200 credits per game after a 1,000-1,500 first win of the day gold bonus, you do the math on how long that would take you to have the amount of gold I used in this video. The system pushes you to pay for the Elite Cases, and you can tell from my video what you get in Elite Cases if you do.

1. The RNG from cases is minimal. Most of the cards you get don't even matter what merc it is for, because you'll be trading them up for a specific merc you want to use anyway. But sometimes you'll get lucky and get a high rarity or just a card you may not have aimed for, you try it and you like it. Good stuff.

2. He claims you need to rely on RNG in "order to get the "perks" and guns" and scopes that you want. This is some missinformation that person off screen fed to him. He said it is like planetside with tons of grind, but you don't get exactly what you want.

Well, frankly I don't see 1000 credits as taking more than maybe half an hour to get in this game, because of missions and first of the day awards. Planetside 2, IDK if it has changed or not, has you actually grind out a ton to get new things. Well above half an hour to an hour that is required to get a case in DB.

Even a bigger blunder is how he claims you need to rely on RNG in order to get what you want. A few weeks ago that may have been the case. This video was clearly made far after that, where you can buy specific loadout's of the only rarity you actually need to play on an equal level - bronze - without real cash. The offscreen dude didn't know this and misinformed AJ, and AJ didn't take any time to investigate this. And people tried to explain this and he accuses them of "defending their new game".

This "RNG reliant" reason is why he claims the game is "technically p2w", and yet it is based off his misinformation and his failure to investigate.

3. Claims the system pushes you to the elite cases. WTF, no way. I never had even an inkling to buy an elite case. That is a 100% cosmetic purchase. I already have the founder skins personally. They don't offer me any advantage either. The elite cases are 10000% optional. Rarities above bronze mean nothing towards gameplay and are all visuals.

4. He then glosses over how credits are earned, not even mentioning (or likely even knowing) that the game has missions that refresh every 3 hours. I doubt he is even aware that you get a lot of cases just by completing matches. I have about 15 cases just sitting in my inventory from just finishing matches. The drop rate seems to be pretty good, and when you get one that is like you just earned an additional 1000 credits.

I just have to say overall, this game is definitely far far far from being p2w. Not even "technically" p2w. But purely just not p2w.

Sajjaja

Yeah I saw that and it pissed me off too. Sometimes it seems his persona just gets in the way. I haven't spent a dime and I have most mercs.

VariantX

Not sure why he felt compelled to keep throwing money at this when he saw how abysmal the drop rates for anything that wasn't a lead tier card. The drop rates will only get worse as they add more mercs to the game too. Best to just play the game as it is, and spend the majority of your purchases on Mercs and occasionally gamble with the cases every now and then.

Just had an amazing defending round. Had like three quads and two aces. was absolutely NAILING headshots. I think Sawbonez with the crostini is my favorite loadout, that gun is like a laser, even at distance.

Grief.exe

Just had an amazing defending round. Had like three quads and two aces. was absolutely NAILING headshots. I think Sawbonez with the crostini is my favorite loadout, that gun is like a laser, even at distance.

It also does the most damage of any SMG. At least according to the wiki, no idea if it's accurate however.

My SMG 9 card is so much better than the Crostini card. The latter has no useful support abilities while the former has the 50% extra health on revive.

Kade

Angry Joe ain't the brightest...

Anyways, I'm going to echo the sentiment that Sawbonez > Aura but it doesn't really matter that much out of competitive. As a support player, I'd rather have the tanks and pushers creating the frontlines and safe zones instead of waiting for me to do so with a heavily nerfed healing tower. With Sawbonez, I can be a part of the push and keep it sustained instead of having people falling back constantly to the designated safe zone, which makes it easier for the other team to push back. Much more fun to play for me personally and I am WAAAAY more successful with Sawbonez, score and contribution to the team. I had a game with him where I joined on the losing team halfway through and ended up winning on top of the scoreboard. Sawbonez is the remedy to all your pushing problems.

Oh, nice having you here FishStix!

Just finished watching map 1. Btw can't wait for the updates to spectating. Should be in the next big update, if Chefs is to believed (or was it Exedore? Can't recall on which stream they said it).

jem0208

That Angry Joe video is frustrating, his comment afterwards even more so.

"Thanks for defending your game, we understand you need to". Come on now.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
So how rare are cobalt cards?

I got a cobalt sniper in one of my elite packs from the starter bundle.

FishStix

Neo Member
Oh, nice having you here FishStix!

Just finished watching map 1. Btw can't wait for the updates to spectating. Should be in the next big update, if Chefs is to believed (or was it Exedore? Can't recall on which stream they said it).

I missed it, what did they say?

Top Bottom