• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirty Bomb open beta thread

Kade

I've been running a Dirty Bomb PUG group on Steam since closed beta that I'd like to start doing weekly events on. Member count hasn't been great to be honest since A) No custom servers or private lobbies, and B) You can just do ranked matchmaking, but once (/if) there's more control in the hands of the players regarding that stuff, I'm planning on running a GAF server that would double as the DBPUG server.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dbpickups

Also yeah, pub games can by won by one or two players carrying and you can just dick around to victory. I've been murking and topping the scoreboard with Proxy lately since no one knows how to deal with her mines.

mkenyon

Banned
I've been running a Dirty Bomb PUG group on Steam since closed beta that I'd like to start doing weekly events on. Member count hasn't been great to be honest since A) No custom servers or private lobbies, and B) You can just do ranked matchmaking, but once (/if) there's more control in the hands of the players regarding that stuff, I'm planning on running a GAF server that would double as the DBPUG server.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dbpickups
Join the dirtycups pug group, it's already active and constantly has groups going. They frequently use the password protected servers made for their weekly tournaments.

Kade

Join the dirtycups pug group, it's already active and constantly has groups going. They frequently use the password protected servers made for their weekly tournaments.

Yeah, I might just close my group and do this. Thanks.

I'd be interested to read that actually, I don't suppose you know which link it was?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/29/13-things-you-need-to-know-about-dirty-bomb

It’s easy to be tempted by servers with higher player counts in Dirty Bomb, because more people to kill sounds great on digital paper. However, it’s worth noting that Dirty Bomb is best played in 5v5 mode. That’s not us speculating, either; that’s from the mouth of lead game designer, Neil Alphonso. You can play in up to 8v8 matches but, according to Alphonso, Dirty Bomb takes inspiration from MOBA games, whereby the most successful teams tend to be the ones that communicate and work effectively together, with the 5v5 player count being the best balance for the maps and modes.

kai3345

Banned
Just heard about this game today. It's pretty fun. It takes what was good about Brink and then removes the bad parts.

Shotgun lady is OP as fuck though

mkenyon

Banned
Just heard about this game today. It's pretty fun. It takes what was good about Brink and then removes the bad parts.

Shotgun lady is OP as fuck though
Nah. If you're talking about Proxy, she's just a good noobcrusher. Get some players that are even Rank 5 and above, she is like a wet paper towel.

Really liking this from what I've played of it. I hope it becomes more popular. It's a nice FPS that I can just jump on and play a few matches of. TF2 used to fill that role for me, but sometimes I just want to use actual guns with bullets and stuff.

Yeah, 8v8/7v7 isn't really worth mentioning any sort of, "what do I do?".

The 6v6s though, strategies like that are enough to carry a pub team right now. If you didn't do that in a 5v5 matchmaking game, then you're going to have an upset team.

And also, this is your daily reminder to start using matchmaking as much a possible.

Maybe this isn't something I should be sharing, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

From what I understand, SD wants to focus on a specific gametype to be what DB is all about. Once the roster of mercs is fully fleshed out, the core game is going to be a pick/ban phase system (like Dota) before the Stopwatch map. 5v5. I'm so fucking hype for that.

Does the game actually have real matchmaking with leavers penalties and rankings, CSGO style? Or is it just dumping people into 10 player servers with comp rulesets?

Risible

Oh look, yet another FPS where the knife is OP. Some guy sprinting around with a knife can take out half a squad as they fire at him since people are bullet sponges yet the knife kills in one or two hits. Why do developers insist on doing this? Simply awful.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh look, yet another FPS where the knife is OP. Some guy sprinting around with a knife can take out half a squad as they fire at him since people are bullet sponges yet the knife kills in one or two hits. Why do developers insist on doing this? Simply awful.
That's probably someone who has mastered movement picking on new players.

The knife is only really ever worth it when you're out of primary/secondary rounds and still in the middle of the fight, or to gib out downed players.

The game is really all about headshots, so people can feel like bullet sponges if you aren't aiming for the head.

Just the few problems I have been running into.

• Sometimes quickmatch just doesn't put me into a game despite the server browser having a ton of games
  • Sometimes after the match is over it says I don't get XP or money however times when that happens sometimes I actually do get XP and money but I don't know how much until after I get back to the main menu.
  • On Chapel at the last part before EMPs have to be placed at the building, if someone uses Kira's satellite laser on that bus stop, sometimes a giant black box appears on it since the particles break and if you get close to it you can see a bunch of balls of white light. Airstrikes might also cause it, not sure.
  • Not me but one of my friends had weird lag in menus but only at certain parts.

I still like the game but there is inconsistent bugs that you just can't tell when they will appear again.

The knife in this game is barely worth it half the time.

Maffis

Really?I've played around 100 hours and I've never, ever seen anyone complain about the knife in this game.

You actually have to aim it aswell and it doesn't autolunge towards enemies.

Just the few problems I have been running into.

• Sometimes quickmatch just doesn't put me into a game despite the server browser having a ton of games
  • Sometimes after the match is over it says I don't get XP or money however times when that happens sometimes I actually do get XP and money but I don't know how much until after I get back to the main menu.
  • On Chapel at the last part before EMPs have to be placed at the building, if someone uses Kira's satellite laser on that bus stop, sometimes a giant black box appears on it since the particles break and if you get close to it you can see a bunch of balls of white light. Airstrikes might also cause it, not sure.
  • Not me but one of my friends had weird lag in menus but only at certain parts.

I still like the game but there is inconsistent bugs that you just can't tell when they will appear again.

They are actively updating the game with big patches every week. The bugs will be fixed pretty soon I'd say. Especially the serverbrowser and creditglitch is their top priority.

jem0208

Are the store servers down or something?

I just got enough credits to buy Proxy and I can't because there doesn't seem to be any option to purchase anywhere...

Edit: nevermind, seem to be fixed now.

Khronico

Any tips on getting better at shooting? I find myself constantly outclassed in 1v1 because I'm really bad at aiming and predicting enemy movement.

zugzug

i'm sorta jelly I saw a streamer had an Obsidian card, he said he got a Obsidian case back in Febuary for a Closed beta test weekend. It was Shiney I crave it.

If you just back up and spray in their general direction, I'm pretty sure you win against this tactic 10/10 times... unless you have that bad of aim. The knife takes 2-3 hits... your gun's ROF is much higher than their ability to swing 2-3 times.

i'm sorta jelly I saw a streamer had an Obsidian card, he said he got a Obsidian case back in Febuary for a Closed beta test weekend. It was Shiney I crave it.

I got the obsidian for arty. Far from my favorite merc. I also have all the founder cards for skyhammer, sawbones, fragger, proxy, and vasilli. :)

But my favorite merc isn't even in the game yet. Which is stoker. He defaults the timik 47 and his ability is a molotov, plus he has the ammo dispenser. I wish I had obsidian for him. In fact, I am saving all my crates just for the small chance that I get a gold or higher for him once he comes out. And I have 50k credits banked up to get him the moment he releases.

Any tips on getting better at shooting? I find myself constantly outclassed in 1v1 because I'm really bad at aiming and predicting enemy movement.

I got tips:

1. Set your crosshair to dot, medium or small size. This will help you get precise. And increase the hit audio feedback to a level where you can comfortable discern when you're missing.

2. SMGs really have no vertical movement when firing at all, but their damage drop off at range is higher than ARs. Even at medium range you're going to need to get headshots to kill quickly.

3. ARs can kill at medium range without headshots, but you'll want headshots to kill quickly.

4. Crouching at medium range, but never for long, is a good idea for extended bursts. But generally you want to fire in smaller 3-5 shot bursts. At close range you can go all out, but still firing in bursts might help your control and save ammo.

5. Typically I aim at the upper chest and head area, recoil will bring your aim up slightly to the head. It is a common tactic to crouch or jump. If someone really loves to crouch every gun fight, I aim lower to start and when they crouch I just get easy headshots.

The best players mix up jumping, crouching, strafe dancing... and they generally kill you if you make a mistake. Need to keep in mind that this is a team based game and you won't win on your own, even in some gun fights.

I almost never ironsight, partially because my mouse is being stupid and holding right isn't always staying. But mostly because the accuracy increase isn't usually necessary and crouch firing is gonna make you a smaller target (and people aiming at your chest/head will miss). But I think the best time to ironsight is when someone is distracted shooting at someone else.

I'm having a lot of fun with Sawbonez (upgraded his card to a Bronze), he seems very balanced with a good amount of health to get away, reviving, giving crucial medpacks (for yourself when running and for teammates), maneuverability and killing power.

I'll 99% purchase him when the free rotation ends with the 30k credits.

Not sure who to get after that, thinking Vassili and Bushwhacker? Proxy seems a waste once I get into competitive with how easy it is to kill her. Fragger is too heavy for me to have fun with, haven't tried the 4 that seem most compelling though (Nader, Bushwhacker, Vassili and Proxy)

edit: woo I'm a member.

mkenyon

Banned
CSGO
Offline bot games.

CS:GO has an entirely different aiming method than Dirty Bomb. With Dirty Bomb, it's mostly about trapping as opposed to chasing.

You keep your cursor in one place during a fight, and aim with A-D, firing when the crosshair is over the head. In addition to that, due to the TTK and no movement penalty in Dirty Bomb, you will likely need to track.

In CS, it's a lot more about quickly moving your cursor to a specific spot (or creeping specific known spots when you're higher up in skill).

Two totally different aiming methods.

This game could be a lot of fun if it didn't have Proxy.

Trip mines instantly turn me off any FPS.

I'm not a fan of mines either. But they are very visible and have a loud beeping noise, so I almost never die to them. Even their area of activation isn't big. One other thing being that after the mine is thrown, it takes like 3-4 seconds before the mine is activated. But the engineer can shoot it to detonate early and that is a fun and rewarding tactic. But so can the other player.

There are also augments that make the mines very visible. But they might be limited to recon classes.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I got 30k credits and was wondering who to buy. Proxy seems pretty good.

fake edit: lol, seems like people like Proxy a lot.

Miker

CS:GO has an entirely different aiming method than Dirty Bomb. With Dirty Bomb, it's mostly about trapping as opposed to chasing.

You keep your cursor in one place during a fight, and aim with A-D, firing when the crosshair is over the head. In addition to that, due to the TTK and no movement penalty in Dirty Bomb, you will likely need to track.

In CS, it's a lot more about quickly moving your cursor to a specific spot (or creeping specific known spots when you're higher up in skill).

Two totally different aiming methods.

Is there any aiming penalty for jumping? Can't tell if I should be jumping around like an idiot or simply strafing during firefights.

NIN90

Is there any aiming penalty for jumping? Can't tell if I should be jumping around like an idiot or simply strafing during firefights.
Yeah your bullet spread increases while jumping. You can compensate with ADS, though.

Erratic strafing is generally more effective, though.

Top Bottom