• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disaster: Day of Crisis Official Thread of bears, salmon and marketing DIZASUTAAAA!!!

If the game becomes a success, I could defintely see Nintendo turning this into their "Metal Gear-like" franchise.

Well, at least the Nintendo fan in me would like that...

markatisu

Those are great scores for a game many wrote off as having shit graphics and knowing nothing else about it.

Does anyone know how import friendly it is? I noticed the movies are in English and it seems the controls are easy enough to figure out with the prompts on the screen

Might be the first game I try out Gecko OS on!

grandjedi6 said:
It's famitsu, why are you giving credit to their reviews?

And Famitsu Wii+DS at that.

Still, I wouldn't have thought it'd get 9s if it was rubbish, even from a Nintendo publication. I'd think they'd be more likely to pull the review if the game was cack.

excellent score.

I'll bite, preordered right now. I love a game where in the excellent director, overcoming a major disaster will can enjoy a sense of realism and tension. I love it.

markatisu said:
Those are great scores for a game many wrote off as having shit graphics and knowing nothing else about it.

Does anyone know how import friendly it is? I noticed the movies are in English and it seems the controls are easy enough to figure out with the prompts on the screen

Might be the first game I try out Gecko OS on!
You could always import the PAL version. Releases a month later (see OP).

ivysaur12

Banned
It actually could be good? :lol This is a shock.

dragonlife29 said:
Hey!

Hey!

Shut up! It'll happen!

;_; Hug me

Maybe one day. Baten Kaitos DS, amirite?

Fuck you.... bah, I don't even know who to blame

Soule

Hmm the review scores earlier are higher than expected, I'm content to admit I've been very skeptical about the quality of the game but perhaps I might end up very wrong, obviously too early to tell but it might just surprise me which would be very welcome.

Dever

Banned
Awesome score. But where are guys getting bad graphics from? The graphics look excellent for a Wii game, they remind me of MGS3 or something but not just as good.

Dever

Banned
Jaruru said:

They also gave Haze 34/40

And in fact, even Lair got 34/40

wow

maybe 34/40 actually means that the game is pure shit? The Japanese can be so confusing sometimes

Shiggy

grandjedi6 said:
Because Famitsu gives good reviews in order to get more advertising money. You can't give a honest critical review when you are being bought out

I think for a game like Super Mario Galaxy it would be possible.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I think we all know how this works. If it's a game you think will be good, a good Famitsu review means something. If it's a game you think will be bad, a good Famitsu review means nothing.

You know, like all game reviews.

wsippel

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Because Famitsu gives good reviews in order to get more advertising money. You can't give a honest critical review when you are being bought out
Sure. But Disaster got no advertising money.

ivysaur12

Banned
Dever said:

wow

maybe 34/40 actually means that the game is pure shit? The Japanese can be so confusing sometimes

BKO got a 34/40 from Famitsu.

Maybe it's different with MonolithSoft.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
handofg0d said:
New Trailer + Famitsu Score = I said "wow".

NoA - Get your fucking act together.

This, basically. Hopefully this frees Monolith to work on other games soon, 2.5+ years on Disaster seems like quite a lot.

Bizzyb

Banned
Htown said:
I think we all know how this works. If it's a game you think will be good, a good Famitsu review means something. If it's a game you think will be bad, a good Famitsu review means nothing.

You know, like all game reviews.

basically.

I think a lot of people already wrote the game off after seeing the 1st released gameplay vids.

Now they are trying to come to grips with how anyone could possibly give it a good rating, and in turn discredit Famitsu to maintain their determined dislike for the game. All of this of course without ever having played it once and only seeing maybe 5 mins total of the game.

Zihark

Andrex said:
This, basically. Hopefully this frees Monolith to work on other games soon, 2.5+ years on Disaster seems like quite a lot.
MS were already free, they made Somabringer and SRW RPG for the DS.

Amir0x

Banned
grandjedi6 trying to discredit Famitsu because it didn't jive with his hatred of DISASUTAAA!?? :lol What will you fanboy conspiracy theorists think of next?

The reality is, whether you appreciate it or not, Famitsu has a long history of being horribly unreliable due to their relationship with their advertising partners. When Dirge of Cerberus came out and got a 7, 7, 7 and 7, and someone came out and explained precisely why something like that happened for such a shitty, broken game... it was simply money.

I wouldn't believe in Famitsu if they gave my most anticipated game ever a 10/10/10/10, or if they gave my most hated game ever a 1/1/1/1. And this is Famitsu Nintendo, I don't even want to fathom how deep that pit goes.

Famitsu is a great magazine for early news. Terrible for reviews. I know there will be a few who come in here to explain the process of picking four unique perspectives and how it's not totally influenced, yadda yadda this is neoGAF you can find someone with any opinion but... it's awful.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Zihark said:
MS were already free, they made Somabringer and SRW RPG for the DS.

I meant for Wii. :p

Matt and Boz think that NoA's October 2/3 conference will be where they announce this and Fatal Frame for NA.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Andrex said:

Matt and Boz think that NoA's October 2/3 conference will be where they announce this and Fatal Frame for NA.
Oh, that would be nice. I'm still interested in Fatal Frame even if it has sucky controls.

I'm not really interested in this though. I don't think it looks very good at all.

The Hermit

Dever said:

wow

I was happy with the score, but now I´m scared... :(

Amir0x said:
The reality is, whether you appreciate it or not, Famitsu has a long history of being horribly unreliable due to their relationship with their advertising partners. When Dirge of Cerberus came out and got a 7, 7, 7 and 7, and someone came out and explained precisely why something like that happened for such a shitty, broken game... it was simply money.
l.

that was jackfrost.... jesus I think that happened eons ago...

duckroll

Andrex said:

NoA is having a conference? The only conference that I know of is a NoJ conference in Japan on Oct 2.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
duckroll said:
NoA is having a conference? The only conference that I know of is a NoJ conference in Japan on Oct 2.

NoA is having a conference parallel to that one.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
Just like last year, NoA is going to have a horrible conference right after. Maybe they'll finally tell us when the games shown at Nintendo Conference 2007 are finally coming out in NA!

I don't care if they are unreliable due to their relationship with their advertising partners mainly because I simply can't see Nintendo giving enuff of a fuck to push this (unlike Lair or Haze I don't see this as some big money title).

I like seeing the game get some good scores but I don't really understand the big deal here . . . on either side. "Lol! This means nothing! My thoughts on this game being crap are NOT countered yet cause theyz un-reliable!" "Cool high score! Hoping it sells big and becomes a series!".

I use reviews as a means to find out elements about the game before I make up my mind, nothing more. I simply don't care for Famitsu reviews cause they are too short to get much info from.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Black-Wind said:
I don't care if they are unreliable due to their relationship with their advertising partners mainly because I simply can't see Nintendo giving enuff of a fuck to push this (unlike Lair or Haze I don't see this as some big money title).

I like seeing the game get some good scores but I don't really understand the big deal here . . . on either side. "Lol! This means nothing! My thoughts on this game being crap are NOT countered yet cause theyz un-reliable!" "Cool high score! Hoping it sells big and becomes a series!".

I use reviews as a means to find out elements about the game before I make up my mind, nothing more. I simply don't care for Famitsu reviews cause they are too short to get much info from.

Weird. Amir0x must be able to see into the future since he countered your post 2 hours ago.

All hail Amir0x! Futureseeing mod of the Earthbound cult!

Bizzyb said:
basically.

I think a lot of people already wrote the game off after seeing the 1st released gameplay vids.

Now they are trying to come to grips with how anyone could possibly give it a good rating, and in turn discredit Famitsu to maintain their determined dislike for the game. All of this of course without ever having played it once and only seeing maybe 5 mins total of the game.
:lol I guess you agree that MP3 was a 31 then? Or Nintendogs a 40? Famitsu reviews are unreliable. That doesn't mean that they can't be right with their scoring once in a while but they are certainly not a valid source regarding the quality of games they've reviewed (not that there are many good review sites/magazines anyway).

grandjedi6 said:
Weird. Amir0x must be able to see into the future since he countered your post 2 hours ago.

All hail Amir0x! Futureseeing mod of the Earthbound cult!

Qui?

Did you read the last of my post homs?

Bottom line-

So I don't care about 4 numbers 4 guys/ girls gave this game, I care about the info which they don't give so w/e to the review.

Well, BKO deserved its 34/40... Maybe Disaster is also that good.

Famitsu scores are like code. I've noticed that games that get between 33-36/40 or a 38/40 (RE4, SMG) is usually damn awesome. Games that get 37/40 tend to be new IPs that the editors want to succeed; maybe because of a moneyhat.

A game that gets 40/40 can either be:

- A huge established IP that's mixes up it's standard gameplay conventions and is polarising (FFXII), but the editors want to push it to their reader base.

- Groundbreaking, whether it is polarising or not (Nintendogs).

- Is really that good (Soul Calibur, SSBB).

- Famitsu was given a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG fucking moneyhat (Nintendogs).

Or a combination of any of these.

Mr. Pointy said:
Well, BKO deserved its 34/40... Maybe Disaster is also that good.

Famitsu scores are like code. I've noticed that games that get between 33-36/40 or a 38/40 (RE4, SMG) is usually damn awesome. Games that get 37/40 tend to be new IPs that the editors want to succeed; maybe because of a moneyhat.

A game that gets 40/40 can either be:

- A huge established IP that's mixes up it's standard gameplay conventions and is polarising (FFXII), but the editors want to push it to their reader base.

- Groundbreaking, whether it is polarising or not (Nintendogs).

- Is really that good (Soul Calibur, SSBB).

- Famitsu was given a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG fucking moneyhat (Nintendogs).

Or a combination of any of these.
I'm not one of the Red Steel haters, but it got a 34 and it certainly wasn't damn awesome. MP3 was though (31). MK Wii got a 37 btw :D .

markatisu

Phife Dawg said:
I'm not one of the Red Steel haters, but it got a 34 and it certainly wasn't damn awesome. MP3 was though (31). MK Wii got a 37 btw :D .

Red Steel was also not horrible so it did not deserve anything under 31-33

I look at the scores like this (compared to other review scales):

39-40 are high 9.5-10
35-38 are high 8.7-9.4
31-37 are high 7.9-8.5

Of course there are moneyhatted reviews, but not every single review that comes from Famitsu is paid for.

Most people here were expecting Day of Disaster to bomb (and who know its might since its following Nintendos method of little to no promotion and word of mouth advertising) so I think even on the most biased of review sites anything higher than a 30 is a good indicator that the game is at least somewhat enjoyable

As for the Lair and Haze reviews, I know some people here who praised both those games. I also know a lot of media and press who treated Lair as the 2nd coming for its graphics (it was severely flawed in controls but the graphics were pretty)

markatisu said:
Most people here were expecting Day of Disaster to bomb (and who know its might since its following Nintendos method of little to no promotion and word of mouth advertising) so I think even on the most biased of review sites anything higher than a 30 is a good indicator that the game is at least somewhat enjoyable

Yeah, that's a good point. I'm not sure Nintendo would be too bothered about bad reviews for this, so for it to be getting 9s is surely a sign it's not terrible. It could be that Nintendo wasn't expecting much, and that it didn't really fit its new profile and that would explain the lack of previews and similar events for the game. But now it's almost here it's starting to look pretty good. The trailers - as others have said - seem to have that perfect mix of drama and corn that MGS does so well, and those Famitsu Wii+DS scores are interesting to say the least.

I'm not personally expecting an 8 or 9/10 game, but I'd be more than happy with a solid 7.

markatisu said:
Red Steel was also not horrible so it did not deserve anything under 31-33

I look at the scores like this (compared to other review scales):

39-40 are high 9.5-10
35-38 are high 8.7-9.4
31-37 are high 7.9-8.5

Of course there are moneyhatted reviews, but not every single review that comes from Famitsu is paid for.

As for the Lair and Haze reviews, I know some people here who praised both those games. I also know a lot of media and press who treated Lair as the 2nd coming for its graphics (it was severely flawed in controls but the graphics were pretty)
Sure it does, it was, while still enjoyable, buggy as hell and had its fair shares of flaws. 34 on a scale to 40 is like 8.5 on a scale to 10. 31 would still be almost 8.0 - not by a long shot for a game like RS imo. And read what I wrote, that Famitsu sometimes has one review that is actually reflecting a game's quality doesn't take away the fact they're unreliable to judge every game's quality upon.

Disaster might deserve a good score in the end, but Famitsu is certainly not a way to make such an assessment.

Top Bottom