• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disaster: Day of Crisis Official Thread of bears, salmon and marketing DIZASUTAAAA!!!

markatisu

Phife Dawg said:
Sure it does, it was, while still enjoyable, buggy as hell and had its fair shares of flaws. 34 on a scale to 40 is like 8.5 on a scale to 10. 31 would still be almost 8.0 - not by a long shot for a game like RS imo. And read what I wrote, that Famitsu sometimes has one review that is actually reflecting a game's quality doesn't take away the fact they're unreliable to judge every game's quality upon.

Disaster might deserve a good score in the end, but Famitsu is certainly not a way to make such an assessment.

We each have our opinions and though I disagree with you on RS I understand what you are saying.

I look forward to the end of the week when impressions start to come in on the game, I trust those more than I do any official review.

What would be good sales for this game? Its a Nintendo game but would 100k be considered a success given its delays and new IP status?

markatisu said:
We each have our opinions and though I disagree with you on RS I understand what you are saying.

I look forward to the end of the week when impressions start to come in on the game, I trust those more than I do any official review.

What would be good sales for this game? Its a Nintendo game but would 100k be considered a success given its delays and new IP status?
For Japan? I think that would be a huge success that most likely won't happen. I don't see big sales at all for this title in Japan. But it'll beat Captain rainbow, that's for sure :lol .

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Mr. Pointy said:
Well, BKO deserved its 34/40... Maybe Disaster is also that good.

Famitsu scores are like code. I've noticed that games that get between 33-36/40 or a 38/40 (RE4, SMG) is usually damn awesome. Games that get 37/40 tend to be new IPs that the editors want to succeed; maybe because of a moneyhat.

A game that gets 40/40 can either be:

- A huge established IP that's mixes up it's standard gameplay conventions and is polarising (FFXII), but the editors want to push it to their reader base.

- Groundbreaking, whether it is polarising or not (Nintendogs).

- Is really that good (Soul Calibur, SSBB).

- Famitsu was given a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG fucking moneyhat (Nintendogs).

Or a combination of any of these.
I'm pretty sure it's been said already but Famitsu Weekly hasn't had reviews of the game, these reviews are from Famitsu DS+Wii. Also, is Famitsu really worth such analysis? :p

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Caesar III said:
Why is there no footage of the game on youtube yet? I thought it is out in japan?

Everyone heard there was a disaster coming so they went out and bought emergency supplies instead. :p

markatisu

Caesar III said:
Why is there no footage of the game on youtube yet? I thought it is out in japan?

I thought the release date was 9-25 so it should be out in stores starting tomorrow (given the time change)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
markatisu said:
I thought the release date was 9-25 so it should be out in stores starting tomorrow (given the time change)

Some will have it today, no stores are open yet though.

Dyno

05.jpg

I'm a bear! I'm a bear! Suck my dick! I'm a BEAR!!!

Nintaiyo

Just watched the video. This game looks hilarious. Voice acting and dialogue are very campy.

"Oooh, I don't know, Ray. I think he might be fallin' for ya."

*Ray stands too close to fire and it blows on him, lighting him on fire*
"SHIT!!!!!"

The graphics look okay in that video, too. The animation is a bit stiff and rough around the edges, though. The music is pretty nice.

Tiktaalik

I can see why NoA is on the fence about this game. I'm sure they'll release it eventually, but it's so very obviously a last gen feeling game, and they probably think that in the face of games this fall like Gears of War 2, it'll be pushed to the side. I'd expect they'll release it when their is less competition. Maybe in January or February.

As I said before, it's a very last gen feeling game, ancient really. The controls and camera look very weak and the animation is pretty poor. The presentation though is pretty great and it looks like there is some good gameplay ideas.

It was pretty funny when the main character ate that huge burger.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Tiktaalik said:
It was pretty funny when the main character ate that huge burger.
Disaster Day of Crisis Official Thread of carrying dogs and eating trash DIZASUTAAAA!

KevinCow

Banned
I don't get it. Why are the first gameplay videos of this game from some random dudes on Youtube and Niconico? I mean this game doesn't look bad at all. These videos make me definitely want to check it out when it comes out here. If Nintendo had released some gameplay videos like these months ago, I'm sure it would have garnered some interest in the game, especially among the Wii owners who feel that there's a lack of core games.

I dunno, Nintendo just baffles me sometimes. They continue to make core games, but then they throw them out there with little to no advertising to almost certain death. It would be one thing if they'd just given up on the core gamers completely and stopped making these kinds of games altogether, that's something I could wrap my head around. But they keep making the core games like they do value the core gamer, yet absolutely everything else they do says otherwise.

CrisKre

wow, this looks pretty awesome. good presentation and the gameplay seems interesting. day uno. Plus, to be honest, the notion that nintendo is not putting out core games is honestly laughable. in the span of three months they released in japan: Fatal Frame 4, Capitain Rainbow, Wario and Dizasutta!!!! thats a LOT of core titles right there.

gimz

KevinCow said:
I don't get it. Why are the first gameplay videos of this game from some random dudes on Youtube and Niconico? I mean this game doesn't look bad at all. These videos make me definitely want to check it out when it comes out here. If Nintendo had released some gameplay videos like these months ago, I'm sure it would have garnered some interest in the game, especially among the Wii owners who feel that there's a lack of core games.

I dunno, Nintendo just baffles me sometimes. They continue to make core games, but then they throw them out there with little to no advertising to almost certain death. It would be one thing if they'd just given up on the core gamers completely and stopped making these kinds of games altogether, that's something I could wrap my head around. But they keep making the core games like they do value the core gamer, yet absolutely everything else they do says otherwise.
Nintendo thinks "core game for core gamers, core gamers stay at home and look at Neogaf 10 hrs/day, they will eventually see the video somewhere on the net"

KevinCow

Banned
gimz said:
Nintendo thinks "core game for core gamers, core gamers stay at home and look at Neogaf 10 hrs/day, they will eventually see the video somewhere on the net"
Some core gamers. Not all core gamers are forum nerds. And anyway, it wasn't even Nintendo who released these videos.

I'm just trying to figure out what's going on with them. The two things I can see is that they have effectively said, "Screw the core gamer," or they truly think that having a complete media blackout until a month before the game comes out is effective advertising. But neither one really fits. If they really said "Screw the core gamer," they would have canned this game back when they canned Project Hammer, and wouldn't have bought Monolith. Yet they couldn't possibly think that this is an effective strategy in advertising their game. Could they? I mean all logic and common sense and rational thinking say otherwise.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
The videos look decent, and in some parts very impressive. I'm sure some of the in-game disasters will look lavish and eye popping. Somehow I get the feeling that beyond that and some camp value the game will be a little shallow.

Still though, I'm piqued. Will buy when it comes out here.

markatisu

KevinCow said:
I mean all logic and common sense and rational thinking say otherwise.

Those do not come into play when speaking about Nintendo, they make money hand over fist on just about everything they do and do not make stupid decisions (well to them anyway, to use they make lots of stupid decisions :lol )

I do not even know what to expect sales wise from this game, its a new IP, been given no promotion, and for a lot of people I talk to the reaction is "wait you mean that game was NOT cancelled??"

Tiktaalik

Folks it looks (visually and gameplaywise) like a mid-era PS2 game. Why would NoA market this to the hardcore when at the same time the hardcore is watching movies of games like Mirror's Edge, Gears of War 2, Dead Space, Little Big Planet and other games that look much more modern? In comparison this game would look very bad.

It's a hard position for NoA to be in. The titles that have done well on the Wii have not really directly competed against traditional next gen games, and so you couldn't compare them and the Wii titles still looked fine. This game however, very obviously is in the same place as those next gen titles, and in a direct comparison it would not look good. I expect NoA to release it at some point, but they'll either hype it up later in the year, or maybe they'll just sneak it onto shelves and not waste money on trying to grab core gamers.

NeonZ

Tiktaalik said:
Folks it looks (visually and gameplaywise) like a mid-era PS2 game. Why would NoA market this to the hardcore when at the same time the hardcore is watching movies of games like Mirror's Edge, Gears of War 2, Dead Space, Little Big Planet and other games that look much more modern? In comparison this game would look very bad.

How does it look, gameplaywise, like a mid-era PS2 game? The mix of gameplay style seems to be fairly original.

Sure, the graphics can't be compared to next gen titles and are even worse than previous Nintendo efforts, but I don't see how they just can't release this game here, especially considering how it doesn't share a genre with any other current big titles.

BTW, what was up with the shotting section in that video? The Pistol seemed to have no effect at all...

Tiktaalik

NeonZ said:
How does it look, gameplaywise, like a mid-era PS2 game? The mix of gameplay style seems to be fairly original.

Sure, the graphics can't be compared to next gen titles and are even worse than previous Nintendo efforts, but I don't see how they just can't release this game here, especially considering how it doesn't share a genre with any other current big titles.

BTW, what was up with the shotting section in that video? The Pistol seemed to have no effect at all...

I think they'll certainly release it, but I don't think this fall. Not up against the big name next gen games.

What I mean by last gen gameplay wise does not concern the Wii motion stuff. Really that's a minor way that you interact with the game. I was talking about a lot of the passive elements of the gameplay, such as the running controls and camera which you can clearly tell from the video are weak and certainly remind me of mid era PS2 stuff.

Cheesyhobo said:
It looked pretty awesome until it got to the shooting section... awful. Absolutely awful.
My thoughts exactly. I just hope this being the tutorial that later on in the game the terrorists actually move. But no animation for being shot point blank in the head by a shotgun is pretty much...:lol

Top Bottom