• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited (Vita) |OT| Ultimate Complete Definitive GOTY Edition

Kill Meowkin Pirates - NOT DONE. I've been farming lvl 91+ for a few hours now, reload after reaching lvl 100. Is it true it can spawn on lower level legendary as well? My X-Map is around 60% completed.

Yeah, they changed the point Meowkins spawn.

They apparently start spawning at floor 26 (encountered them on floor 38, myself) and can be found on any route (encountered them on item boost route).

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

They apparently start spawning at floor 26 (encountered them on floor 38, myself) and can be found on any route (encountered them on item boost route).

I think the general consensus was that by going on the 'treasure route' (i.e. flip-flopping between item route and innocent route), you lessen the chance of either specific route-based pirates appearing, thus raising your chances of encountering the meowkin pirates.

Trying to find Prinny Kurtis in the item world is lame, even with soft resets. I wish I'd have known his counter reset on new cycles :/

Also have several of the 300% aptitude generics. If anyone wants them, PM me with your PSN ID.

To get them, you just have to be able to make a Tier 6 monk (or tier 6 angel for the captain), and have discipline room open.

Then go into the item world, and choose 'friend pirates'. They should appear at turn zero, so you can just blaze through an item until you find 'em.

SMK

Trying to find Prinny Kurtis in the item world is lame, even with soft resets. I wish I'd have known his counter reset on new cycles :/

It took me a couple of hours to find that bastard. He just refused to show up. Totally worth it for unlocking Baal though. Being able to buy gencies made maxing out my Invincible Armor alot easier.

Also have several of the 300% aptitude generics. If anyone wants them, PM me with your PSN ID.
Thanks sent a PM.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Ugh. Is it like the pirates in Disgaea 3
I still need to finish the story there...
? I couldn't stand that there is trophies related to seeing/beating the pirates and some of the pirates are kinda rare and up on the 90-100 floors of the item world. It's like "really, NIS?"

RoeBear

Then go into the item world, and choose 'friend pirates'. They should appear at turn zero, so you can just blaze through an item until you find 'em.

Ok I'm super confused I don't know how to choose friend pirates. I go to the item world lady and she just pops me in an item.

Metroidvania

Ok I'm super confused I don't know how to choose friend pirates. I go to the item world lady and she just pops me in an item.

You need to have your vita online.

Then you should have an option, after picking an item, to choose none, low, mid, or high ranking pirates.....or friend pirates at the bottom.

Ugh. Is it like the pirates in Disgaea 3 I still need to finish the story there...? I couldn't stand that there is trophies related to seeing/beating the pirates and some of the pirates are kinda rare and up on the 90-100 floors of the item world. It's like "really, NIS?"

For Kurtis, you need to 'see him' 5 times in the item world lobbies, and talk to him. If you do 6, or if you reset the cycle, the counter resets.

Add to that, you can't 'unlock' the battle with him through the senate until you're in the post-game, yes.

Ponn

Banned
Ugh. Is it like the pirates in Disgaea 3
I still need to finish the story there...
? I couldn't stand that there is trophies related to seeing/beating the pirates and some of the pirates are kinda rare and up on the 90-100 floors of the item world. It's like "really, NIS?"

Some games i just pretend the trophies don't exist because it would be to frustrating and depressing otherwise.

Well, finally stole my first 40-2 - the axe Zillions Buster

15000 HP
4500 SP
48750 ATK
1500 INT
7500 HIT
4500 DEF
2250 RES
-9000 SPD
2 Move
20 Jump
2 Range
+55% Critical

Took a bit long to get through Deicide Axe though, since the enemies got much stronger than the relatively meager 10M damage I could do regularly when I got around level 70 or so.

Well, finally stole my first 40-2 - the axe Zillions Buster

15000 HP
4500 SP
48750 ATK
1500 INT
7500 HIT
4500 DEF
2250 RES
-9000 SPD
2 Move
20 Jump
2 Range
+55% Critical

Took a bit long to get through Deicide Axe though, since the enemies got much stronger than the relatively meager 10M damage I could do regularly when I got around level 70 or so.

Well, I'm really glad it looks like all the 40-2 weapons have stats in all categories. Makes fully maxing them out feasible on a "limited" Gency Exit budget.

Metroidvania

Well, I'm really glad it looks like all the 40-2 weapons have stats in all categories. Makes fully maxing them out feasible on a "limited" Gency Exit budget.

Maxing any non-primary stat, even with Item God killing repeatedly, is going to take over a 100 gencies. On my invincible armor, everything save the primary stat is only getting 8-12k per item god kill. Meanwhile, DEF and RES were maxed out from after like 20 clears.

It's kinda irrelevant anyways, since with 3 maxed armors, you can basically have any weapon you want, if you have 300% aptitudes. I know some 'serious' pirates on D4vita have taken to using joke weapons for their OP innocents.

Maxing any non-primary stat, even with Item God killing repeatedly, is going to take over a 100 gencies. On my invincible armor, everything save the primary stat is only getting 8-12k per item god kill. Meanwhile, DEF and RES were maxed out from after like 20 clears.

It's kinda irrelevant anyways, since with 3 maxed armors, you can basically have any weapon you want, if you have 300% aptitudes. I know some 'serious' pirates on D4vita have taken to using joke weapons for their OP innocents.

I know that 3 maxed armors basically skyrockets a character to hard cap. But this is Disgaea, where we can afford to be a bit indulgent in the excess.

I'm fully expecting to spend some ~300 gencies per item in the worst case scenario. However, I am NOT going to spend some 30000 to max out, say, an item with a base value of 10 in any stat.

EDIT: On a side note, Pickles, the save icon salesninja, has completely stopped showing up for me after I emptied out her wares once. But, that was before I got all the postlude characters. Can't help but feel just a little put out by the odds.

TheSeks

For Kurtis, you need to 'see him' 5 times in the item world lobbies, and talk to him. If you do 6, or if you reset the cycle, the counter resets.

Add to that, you can't 'unlock' the battle with him through the senate until you're in the post-game, yes.

Oh my. So there's like... no guarantee you'll see him once you hit the 5 in the item world lobbies?

WTF NIS. :| That's not very fun, it's luck. :/

Stole another R40-2 - the red monster weapon Baal Stone (lol)

46500 ATK
1800 INT
25500 HIT
4500 DEF
1500 RES
3000 SPD
2 Move
24 Jump
+35% Critical

Went a bit easier this time thanks to the Deicide Axe I was leveling before.

anderedna

Thanks. Finally found mine on floor 86, running treasure route. That cat pirate appeared again on floor 88 lol.

Metroidvania

Oh my. So there's like... no guarantee you'll see him once you hit the 5 in the item world lobbies?

WTF NIS. :| That's not very fun, it's luck. :/

I think, as long as you don't 'talk' to him in the item world after the 5th time, you should be okay.

After my 5th time (on cycle 2), I just rushed into the post-game in order to not risk it, just in case.

Beat Baal, 300% aptitudes with even a partially finished Invincible armor x3 + Trick Room evility = cake.

EDIT: On a side note, Pickles, the save icon salesninja, has completely stopped showing up for me after I emptied out her wares once. But, that was before I got all the postlude characters. Can't help but feel just a little put out by the odds.

You can help your odds a bit by doing the mystery gate trick on low floors in items, since there's several rooms that only become available when you're a fair way down (like the Axel Room or the Graveyard). I can guarantee you that Pickles shows up even when her inventory is empty from personal experience.

Got my base line innocent collection setup, 8 of each single stat innocent (to make Gency levelling faster), 8 of each dual stat innocent (which I used to clear everything non-LoC up to Baal), 17 Brokers, Statisticians and Managers and 1 of everything else except Collectors (I need to hunt those down later but after spending 12 hours killing Mystery Innocents for a Sniper I just can't be bothered).

Now I need to get the P Flonzor X parts from Discipline and go to LoC and start traversing the Crowbar / Yoshitsuna / Supermech Suit , and abusing Reverse Pirating, Golden Finger and Thief's Key to get me the other Rank 39 Legendaries.

Kazerei

Banned
My Post-game Diary
* Grinded on Map 9-4 until I could unlock House of Ordeals 4 (level ~500)
* Grinded on House of Ordeals 4 for awhile (level ~4000)
* In between grinding sessions, did the extra episodes (Fuka & Desco Show, etc.) and a few low-rank Legendary Item World runs to break up the monotony
* Killed some pirates, stockpiled some Gency Exits, talked to Prinny Kurtis twice, and bought all the Promotionhell tickets along the way
* Did some other miscellaneous stuff in between like teaching Valvatorez Big Bang, unlocking character classes and Evil Symbols
* At this point Valvatorez, Fenrich, Desco, and generic Nekomata are level ~5000; Fuka, Emizel, and Artina are level 1000+
* Finished the X-Dimension levels
* Reverse Pirated to collect a bunch of Innocents, in particular Statisticians and Guardians
* Captured and tortured Nekomatas until I found a Puppy Paw Stick
* Made some Bio Suits and duped Statisticians until I had 32 stacks of level 300s
* Hit level 9999 and reincarnated a few times with Valvatorez; also did a few Character World runs with him while he was level 1
* Now Valvatorez is super strong

To Do List
* Find Prinny Kurtis 3 more times
* Collect the P Flonzor X parts and unlock the Land of Carnage
* Steal a rarity 0 Trapezohedron, max its stats and dupe the shit out of it
* Kill Baal
* Collect all the pirate ship parts (will probably do this on a new cycle)

Notes
* Promotionhell tickets are way cheaper in this game yay
* Item duplication is way easier in this game yay (thanks Elaugaufein for posting that tip)
* Fuck Prinny Kurtis

No point in having more than 17 stacks of Brokers/Statisticians/Managers there's a hard cap at 4900 for each (which is
16x300 + 1x100+)

Also the 40-2 armor (Invincible is better than a trap so better to get a legendary supermech suit and upgrade to Pinpoint then to Invincible)

Kazerei

Banned
Ah well, I guess I did 1 or 2 more dupes than necessary

I think I'll stick with Traps because they're faster to max out the stats. Invincibles have more move and jump, but ehhhhhh, I'm lazy and Traps are good enough. Especially if I pass all 6 Item World bills to boost move and jump.

anderedna

Anyone got any tips on how to obtain 10 billion damage for the trophy? I got Val aptitude to 300% for all stats but still unable to get that much of damage. I believe all his stats are almost maxed out at around 95 million. He only managed to get 1.5 billion damage.

Nevermind, got it already.
Desco + Kurtis got me 16 billion damage

Hollycat

My copy of this should be coming in in the next day or two. Please tell me Revya is in this one too... She's my favorite.

My copy of this should be coming in in the next day or two. Please tell me Revya is in this one too... She's my favorite.

No Revya, unfortunately, only Gig. Which is a shame, since the Onyx Blade sprite is one of the best.

Welp, 120 hours in, with many more lost to resets, and I'm finding Mystery Innocent fishing to be strangely profitable. Got a bunch of Invincible Armors with uniques on it that I never knew I wanted before; but now, I can try to envision a bunch of setups I want to try, even though they may not be the most efficient in terms of damage or defense. Currently item god killing my way through an I. Armor with Sweet Tempter on it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
How hard is this game on a Disgaea scale? Is it a good entry for someone new to the series?
All of the Disgaea games are good to jump into without playing the previous ones. They have their references, but even the references are extremely, extremely minimal in Disgaea 4 specifically. And any additions to the gameplay has only made the games better, so there's no real reason to go back for that reason.

Only reason I can think of to go with the earlier game is if you want to start off on the right foot by playing game with the best characters/dialog first. All the games are good, but I think consensus still gives Disgaea 1 the best characters/dialog/plot in the series.

In my mind Disgaea 4 actually does the best in the series at serious moments. It's just falls flat most of the time when they try and play up the humorous character quirks. Disgaea 4 does still have an occasional genuinely funny moment, but definitely go to Disgaea 1 if you're looking for humor.

repeater

Hi guys. I've never played a Disgaea game before. I currently own a physical copy of D3 (unplayed) for Vita, and now D4 is for sale on the EU PSN. I've heard D4 is typically held in higher regard than D3 by fans of the series.
So my question is: will it matter much to me as a newcomer if I jump into the series with 3 or 4? Is there a gap in quality such that one of them is clearly preferable to the other as a Disgaea game? Thanks.

TheSeks

Hi guys. I've never played a Disgaea game before. I currently own a physical copy of D3 (unplayed) for Vita, and now D4 is for sale on the EU PSN. I've heard D4 is typically held in higher regard than D3 by fans of the series.
So my question is: will it matter much to me as a newcomer if I jump into the series with 3 or 4? Is there a gap in quality such that one of them is clearly preferable to the other as a Disgaea game? Thanks.

4 has new things that Disgaea 1's sequel (Disgaea D2) brought like the cheat shop. 3 has things that 4 added.

So it's beneficial to start with the "newest stuff" (before 5 renders D2's stuff moot) anyway. 3/4 are completely seperate story-line wise and outside of cameos of other characters nothing huge is lost.

You could sell 3 and play 4.

4's only problem is frame drops that 3 doesn't have. If it bothers you go with 3. If it doesn't, go with 4.

The gaps in quality and gameplay aren't huge, it's going to come down to personal preference between the cast members. Personally I found D3's classroom/club management slightly less obnoxious than D4's Evil Symbol/Cam-paign board management. Both Class World and Chara World are functionally the same tedious grind.

I enjoyed D4's postgame a little bit more.

cj_iwakura

3 is the weakest, but it has its charms. 2 is my favorite, if that matters.

OT but this seems like the most recent active Disgaea (and I doubt there's enough activity between game releases to justify a community thread) thread so :

I'm having problems with the US version of Disgaea 2 DHD (on my full up to date not modified) Vita and wanted to see if anyone else was having the same issue (its weird because I'm almost 100% certain it used to work properly so it seems like an update has broken it) so I can make a report with Sony.

I have all the DLC (but to check this you can just grab the free DLC). When I start Disgaea 2 and then start a new game or go into the save menu , it tells me the DLC can't be used (and specifies each installed DLC item) , this happens before you load a game, unlike what happens when you load a save file that has DLC that you don't have installed and the DLC indeed doesn't work (seems like a license issue?). I've deleted and reinstalled D2:DHD , all my saves and reinstalled and this still happens. The game also seems unable to recognize my D1: AoD save (the female samurai is not unlocked for creation). Seems like it might be a permission error or a security "enhancement"on the Vita's PSP emulator breaking something (NIS is not exactly famous for their rock solid and convential code).

I did check that other PSP DLC works (Dissidia's DLC still works fine) to make sure it wasn't a general license problem.

ETA - Did all this using the PS3 method (not the PC method).

Bebpo

Banned
With D5 coming soon I decided to go back and catch up on my Dis backlog. I finished D4 but never got around to playing the Fuuka/Disco DLC expansion.

I booted up the expansion tonight and then realized why I never played the expansion: The starting map has enemies at lvl.210 and my party after finishing the main story is about lvl.90-100.

Is there a quick way to level from 100 -> 210 so I can play the expansion? Like, something I can do in under 2 hours? Otherwise I'll just move to Dis D2.

You can't finish the expansion at 210 anyway. The difficulty increases fairly rapidly as you get to later chapters, far quicker than you'll get Exp from doing it.

After the story you're party will likely become incredibly asymmetric, with only a handful of characters being up to speed. The best place to start grinding is 5-2 the Amusement Park , the map that had 4 each of Nekomata/Flowers/Wolves/Chickens. Since you cleared it once its no setup so you can power level there, using Valvatorez magichanged with Desco. I wrote up a mini-guide to levelling at this stage of the game here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/723483-disgaea-4-a-promise-revisited/69885852?page=2 starting at post #29 .

Bebpo

Banned
You can't finish the expansion at 210 anyway. The difficulty increases fairly rapidly as you get to later chapters, far quicker than you'll get Exp from doing it.

After the story you're party will likely become incredibly asymmetric, with only a handful of characters being up to speed. The best place to start grinding is 5-2 the Amusement Park , the map that had 4 each of Nekomata/Flowers/Wolves/Chickens. Since you cleared it once its no setup so you can power level there, using Valvatorez magichanged with Desco. I wrote up a mini-guide to levelling at this stage of the game here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/723483-disgaea-4-a-promise-revisited/69885852?page=2 starting at post #29 .

Hmmm, how do you even go back to the main map list once you've started Fuuka/Disco? It's only showing the 1-1 map. Been years since I played this save so I can't figure out how to get back to the main game.

About what level do you need to grind up to in order to get through the whole DLC storyline? What levels are the end enemies?

It depends on which Fuuka/Desco chunk you're in. If you're doing Time Leap (the new content for the portable version), you'll get the option once you're in Nagi's lab, there's a machine or person you can talk too. If you're in the Fuuka/Desco show (the DLC for the original) its the same person you spoke to , to start it.

The level changes depending on how far through the game you've progressed (eg my Fuuka & Desco Show levels are between 3000 and 6600 , for the first and last maps, since I've beaten all the post game content). I don't have access to the last battle in Time Leap because of the way its structured (once you clear it , you have to restart it and its divided u into Chapters without access to prior stuff, like Raspberyl mode in D3 was) but it starts at Level 3100 for me.

From what I remember it went from Level 1 to Level 15, so I'd imagine the final battle in time leap will be around level ~450ish at your stage of the game but it'll probably be a little harder than you'd think (the Time Leap stuff cheats a bit with enemy skills and ranks them up in their classes very fast), so you're looking at Level 450-ish with a bunch of Tier 6 enemy units and a boss unit.

Reishiki

Banned
I'm getting this annoying "Failed to Upload" error when trying to upload Senators or Pirates. Other network stuff seems to be working fine. What gives?

Top Bottom