• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited (Vita) |OT| Ultimate Complete Definitive GOTY Edition

Fenrich is proving annoying to level up compared to Val/caster classes. Gimme that Big Bang already :(

There's a much easier way to get Big Bang than levelling Fenrich to 500.

Unlock Armor Knight (Level a warrior to 20)
Unlock Bouncer (If you haven't completed Chapter 6 level the Armor Knight to 100 , if you have completed Chapter 7 its either automatic or a much lower level (information conflicts))
Level the Bouncer to 160, using the Promotion option each time you unlock a Tier. The Tier 4 bouncer (unlocked at 160) can learn Big Bang.

FLD

Yup replaced by Matt Mercer. Two of the lines are his when playing on actual maps. It makes me sad.

Ha, I thought I was going crazy. So some of the battle lines really are a different voice then?

Guess that's another part that Troy Baker ditched, uh? It was so noticeable here that now I'm kinda worried about Kanji in Ultimax and Persona Q... :/

There's a much easier way to get Big Bang than levelling Fenrich to 500.

Unlock Armor Knight (Level a warrior to 20)
Unlock Bouncer (If you haven't completed Chapter 6 level the Armor Knight to 100 , if you have completed Chapter 7 its either automatic or a much lower level (information conflicts))
Level the Bouncer to 160, using the Promotion option each time you unlock a Tier. The Tier 4 bouncer (unlocked at 160) can learn Big Bang.

I wanted to level Fenrich anyway, it was just obnoxious because of how bad fist skills are now compared to the last three games and Varg wasn't hitting hard enough consistently enough to justify its SP cost. Now I'm exploiting the hell out of his Revenge evility and it's going well at last.

Verder

Ha, I thought I was going crazy. So some of the battle lines really are a different voice then?

Guess that's another part that Troy Baker ditched, uh? It was so noticeable here that now I'm kinda worried about Kanji in Ultimax and Persona Q... :/

Yeah his voices were also replaced. Troy apparently too big now.

Seil

I wanted to level Fenrich anyway, it was just obnoxious because of how bad fist skills are now compared to the last three games and Varg wasn't hitting hard enough consistently enough to justify its SP cost. Now I'm exploiting the hell out of his Revenge evility and it's going well at last.

My path was that I got Val, Desco and a mage into the 400s or so on the way through the story. When I finished the main story I unlocked Mount Ordeals, got to 4, then focused on Desco(and decided to unlock monster tiers while doing so). I just let Fenrich, among others to get some generic tiers, leech off of her for a while. When I finished monster tiers and still had some humanoid ones, I made a bouncer for big bang, then reincarnated/promoted through the classes/tiers using Desco and a nekomata for giant magichange lol.

Later I taught val big bang via chara world and got him to ~5100 for the last chest in the base, leveled fenrich up properly too.

Edit: This is about where I am right now lol. Have increased val and fenrich's movement and given them the Sky High evility, probably going to work on some item world or something so I can get further in the post game stuff because I hit a wall. Planning on doing cycles for endings when I finish the main post game to get that out of the way because I want them on one file x.x

The grind mill is oiled and ready to go.

Now, I join my fellow brethren in the hunt for the elusive Meowkin pirates for that special piece.

Cleared the Post Game through to (and including Asagi) , and re-Cycled. Got my Android now. Was going through recollecting my DLC characters / extra-scenarios. But I want to steal a legendary testament from the Time Leap Tyrant and it just won't be legendary *grrr*.

ETA - AT LAST IT IS MINE. HAHAHA. It was rare 4 times before I got a single Legendary though.
ETA2 - I haaate the steal formula so much. My level 332 thief has a 1% chance to steal a Legendary Testament from the (level 300) Tyrant from behind but my level 2000 Bouncer has a 50% chance (the maximum a non-thief can get). And yet in the end game a level 9999 thief has a 99% chance to steal *anything* from behind from a 9999 enemy.
ETA3 - Back in the post game with Asagi recruited again. Now I just need to Chara World a Healing Spell and Terra Star onto Valvatorez (already put Big Bang on him) and then level him up to a bit over 1000 and then I'm ready to go capture a 1000+ Nekomata and get things *moving*.

Seil

Going through a legendary sardine bone, just for the sake of getting it to 96 for innocent stuff I ran into Meowkin pirates on floor 49. So that's one thing out of the way without having to actually try haha.

Yesterday I decided to go for a PPS and the ship parts from Nekomatas while I was at it. Got a rare and common PPS and am still missing one ship part which I'm taking a break from because I just keep getting puppy paw sticks instead lol... Want a legendary PPS, but meh. My plan is still to finish the main post game missions then start cycling for endings, will worry with extra collecting then. For now, stuff that helps me improve items so I can beat things up is priority.

Going through a legendary sardine bone, just for the sake of getting it to 96 for innocent stuff I ran into Meowkin pirates on floor 49. So that's one thing out of the way without having to actually try haha.

Yesterday I decided to go for a PPS and the ship parts from Nekomatas while I was at it. Got a rare and common PPS and am still missing one ship part which I'm taking a break from because I just keep getting puppy paw sticks instead lol... Want a legendary PPS, but meh. My plan is still to finish the main post game missions then start cycling for endings, will worry with extra collecting then. For now, stuff that helps me improve items so I can beat things up is priority.

You can get a legendary PPS from the sphere collector in the IW IIRC.

Kazerei

Banned
Okay, I haven't had much time in the past two weeks, but I finally completed the story! And I did it with no grinding at all! I finished each story map once, and I finished 10 floors in the Item World of a Common Sword (since it's mandatory at some point). That's it. I focused on only using Valvatorez, Fenrich, and Fuka, and they ended up around level 125-130. Plus I made a bunch of good-for-nothing warriors to use as fodder. No healer, so I just used healing items occasionally. But I probably should have used a ranged attacker or magic user, rather than going in face-first with three melee attackers. I spent mana on learning skills, boosting skills, and passing "more expensive stuff" bills. Got the store's product rank up to 9. Overall the leveling curve seemed fairly smooth, except episodes 5 and 6 were tough for some reason. Some of the maps gave me a lot of trouble, and I had to abuse some tricks to get 'er done. Many of you probably already know these things, but I'll just give out some unsolicited advice because I have time :p

Lifting and throwing and towers
I'm pretty sure I used lift and throw on every single map, to get my characters across the map to a geo block, or to help get them in to a good position, or to get an enemy in close where I can pummel it. When I play other SRPGs I wish I had this feature :lol. It is so helpful.

I'd usually set it up so the character at the top of the tower is picked up from base panel or from wherever it's already standing. That way it can move after being thrown.

Lift defense
If you're lifting up an enemy at the end of your turn, it won't be able to do anything. I often did this with bosses to prevent them from attacking. But the lifter will take damage equal to the HP of what its holding up, which means it will probably die, so use some fodder.

You can also lift up an ally to protect it from attack. But again, use some fodder that you don't care about if it dies. Or better yet, you can throw the ally back in to your base panel to protect it completely.

Diagonal throwing
It may seem like you can only throw vertically or horizontally, but if you press X while switching the throw direction, it will come out diagonally at some angle. Can be helpful in some situations where things don't line up quite right.

Move cancelling
The game is pretty lenient about cancelling your moves, which you can exploit a bit for team attacks and support attacks. For example, you can move Valvatorez next to Fenrich, and have Fenrich execute an attack (which Valvatorez will probably join in on). Then you can cancel Valvatorez's move and have him attack another enemy.

Sharing shoes (or other equipment)
The game is also pretty lenient about changing equipment during battle. You can select a character, equip some shoes, move as far as possible, and unequip the shoes. Then you can select the next character, equip those same shoes, and repeat.

Shoes increase the character's movement range and jump height. But you can unequip them after moving and the character will stay in its spot. So you can take advantage of the movement boost, and then put the shoes back in your item bag.

Basically the idea is to have up to 3 pairs of shoes to share among the team. Just remember that after a character executes its turn, its equipment can't be changed.

Seil

You can get a legendary PPS from the sphere collector in the IW IIRC.

Nice, that'll make getting it at 0 less of a hassle, too.

Beat Pringer X: Poison last night, got a rarity 0 Crowbar and Makai Wars off him. Was resetting for a 0 crowbar but they both came up 0 at the same time so not gonna complain. When I was resetting for a 0 Makai Wars on Zetta, a legendary Yoshitsuna popped up so I put off the Makai Wars.

After that, I duped some barefoot X's etc, then finished unlocking Prinny Kurtis since I'd run into him a couple times already. Today I've started doing my ending hunting. Finished all the bad endings so far. Just 5 full runs to go now...

Nice, that'll make getting it at 0 less of a hassle, too.

Beat Pringer X: Poison last night, got a rarity 0 Crowbar and Makai Wars off him. Was resetting for a 0 crowbar but they both came up 0 at the same time so not gonna complain. When I was resetting for a 0 Makai Wars on Zetta, a legendary Yoshitsuna popped up so I put off the Makai Wars.

After that, I duped some barefoot X's etc, then finished unlocking Prinny Kurtis since I'd run into him a couple times already. Today I've started doing my ending hunting. Finished all the bad endings so far. Just 5 full runs to go now...

There's not much reason to get a Rarity 0 Makai Wars.

Traps are better in every way and Invincible Armor (the new rank 40-1 armor) is better than a Trap (due to MV and JMP boosts), if you take advantage of infinite item god killing.

Okay, I haven't had much time in the past two weeks, but I finally completed the story! And I did it with no grinding at all! I finished each story map once, and I finished 10 floors in the Item World of a Common Sword (since it's mandatory at some point). That's it. I focused on only using Valvatorez, Fenrich, and Fuka, and they ended up around level 125-130. Plus I made a bunch of good-for-nothing warriors to use as fodder. No healer, so I just used healing items occasionally. But I probably should have used a ranged attacker or magic user, rather than going in face-first with three melee attackers. I spent mana on learning skills, boosting skills, and passing "more expensive stuff" bills. Got the store's product rank up to 9. Overall the leveling curve seemed fairly smooth, except episodes 5 and 6 were tough for some reason. Some of the maps gave me a lot of trouble, and I had to abuse some tricks to get 'er done. Many of you probably already know these things, but I'll just give out some unsolicited advice because I have time :p

Lifting and throwing and towers
I'm pretty sure I used lift and throw on every single map, to get my characters across the map to a geo block, or to help get them in to a good position, or to get an enemy in close where I can pummel it. When I play other SRPGs I wish I had this feature :lol. It is so helpful.

I'd usually set it up so the character at the top of the tower is picked up from base panel or from wherever it's already standing. That way it can move after being thrown.

Lift defense
If you're lifting up an enemy at the end of your turn, it won't be able to do anything. I often did this with bosses to prevent them from attacking. But the lifter will die at the start of your next turn, so use some fodder.

You can also lift up an ally to protect it from attack. But again, the lifter will die so use some fodder. Or better yet, you can throw the ally back in to your base panel to protect it completely.

Diagonal throwing
It may seem like you can only throw vertically or horizontally, but if you press X while switching the throw direction, it will come out diagonally at some angle. Can be helpful in some situations where things don't line up quite right.

Move cancelling
The game is pretty lenient about cancelling your moves, which you can exploit a bit for team attacks and support attacks. For example, you can move Valvatorez next to Fenrich, and have Fenrich execute an attack (which Valvatorez will probably join in on). Then you can cancel Valvatorez's move and have him attack another enemy.

Sharing shoes (or other equipment)
The game is also pretty lenient about changing equipment during battle. You can select a character, equip some shoes, move as far as possible, and unequip the shoes. Then you can select the next character, equip those same shoes, and repeat.

Shoes increase the character's movement range and jump height. But you can unequip them after moving and the character will stay in its spot. So you can take advantage of the movement boost, and then put the shoes back in your item bag.

Basically the idea is to have up to 3 pairs of shoes to share among the team. Just remember that after a character executes its turn, its equipment can't be changed.

In addition to lift and throwing the "special" fist move that Necromancers (and Tier 6 Bouncers and I would assume a reallly high level Fenrich) learn has a blow (knockback) effect and up/down tolerance of 48 dm in each direction which can be used to solve some geo puzzles (in the legendary:Alexander the Great style),.

Getting 99 Jump from 3 high rank shoes will break a few maps puzzles too. This is advice more suited to re-cycle runs or to get through the rest of the story quicker after power levelling on 5-2.

Seil

There's not much reason to get a Rarity 0 Makai Wars.

Traps are better in every way and Invincible Armor (the new rank 40-1 armor) is better than a Trap (due to MV and JMP boosts), if you take advantage of infinite item god killing.

I just like having rarity 0 items. And since it's always legendary, resetting for 0 in those fights is pretty painless especially with the retry option.

Edit: Also really dislike episode 4 lol. It's the part in each cycle where it feels tedious and I end up taking a break afterward x.x

Dr Dogg

I completely forgot this was coming out soon and that I had preordered it and just got surprised by a dispatch email yesterday. I've hardly put any time into 3 on the Vita and I abandoned my playthrough of 4 on PS3 as soon as I heard of the Vita release. Oh well the trip to work is going to be less dull for the foreseeable future.

Edit: Also really dislike episode 4 lol. It's the part in each cycle where it feels tedious and I end up taking a break afterward x.x
Is that the info bureau chapter? Didn't care for the backtracking indoor maps or the silly outdoor mazes. Also, Emizel-centric, so automatically inferior.

Seil

Is that the info bureau chapter? Didn't care for the backtracking indoor maps or the silly outdoor mazes. Also, Emizel-centric, so automatically inferior.

Yeah, that's the one. It's tedious and it's where it feels like my momentum comes to a halt. Not that they really take very long, but it feels like they do haha. Especially the one with the invincible geo towers. Numerous turns due to all the throwing and lifting going around the map x.x

Yeah, that's the one. It's tedious and it's where it feels like my momentum comes to a halt. Not that they really take very long, but it feels like they do haha. Especially the one with the invincible geo towers. Numerous turns due to all the throwing and lifting going around the map x.x

Yeah, I like the concept of the narrow walkways and walls of geoblocks... if they are extra maps. Not even units with pretty good movement (~14 MV) can clear those maps quickly.

The Necromancers Fist skill Libra Paso, has enough tolerance that you can use it to knock even the highest ninja of the pillar (and thus ignore all the geoblocks). Its how I dealt with it on my second playthrough.

Seil

The Necromancers Fist skill Libra Paso, has enough tolerance that you can use it to knock even the highest ninja of the pillar (and thus ignore all the geoblocks). Its how I dealt with it on my second playthrough.

Damn, that'll be useful for my next three runs at least haha. My thieves both have that skill, but I never noticed the height tolerance on it.

Dio

Banned
One of my favorite features about this version is being able to mute the ingame music for item worlding but not the SFX and just putting on something else in the background using the music app in parallel. This completely changes things compared to when I played D2 on PSP.

Kazerei

Banned
I just encountered the Meowkins Pirates on floor 36 of a legendary Plant Saber, but according to Disgaea 4 guides they only appear on floor 91+. What the heck? Did NIS change things up? I defeated them and got the P Flonzor X Body, which is consistent with the guides.

Seil

I just encountered the Meowkins Pirates on floor 36 of a legendary Plant Saber, but according to Disgaea 4 guides they only appear on floor 91+. What the heck? Did NIS change things up? I defeated them and got the P Flonzor X Body, which is consistent with the guides.

My Meowkin pirates were at 49. Either the guides are wrong or it was changed. Didn't play the PS3 version, so can't speak from experience there.

Finished my ending runs, beat Pringer X: Poison again, did the DLC unlocks, unlocked Petta and am now playing through the Fuka & Desco stuff.

My Meowkin pirates were at 49. Either the guides are wrong or it was changed. Didn't play the PS3 version, so can't speak from experience there.

Finished my ending runs, beat Pringer X: Poison again, did the DLC unlocks, unlocked Petta and am now playing through the Fuka & Desco stuff.

Yup. It was changed to 26+ for the Meowkins (if you're hunting for them they are more common on (but not exclusive to) the Innocent Route as well).

cpooi

Since it seems that an Asia English version isn't appearing, does anyone know if the US version of Disgaea 4 can recognize the Asia (English) version of Disgaea 3 saves to unlock the save data bonuses?

Finally got my PPS, but the last boss of the Flashback scenario is owning my face left and right. I also still don't have a good caster weapon :(

Seil

I've now finished Fuka & Desco and the TIme Leap stuff. Fuka & Desco Show felt like a massive chore, Time Leap was okay. So, now the only "normal" stage I've unlocked but not completed is Baal. Guess I'll work on X-Dimension next. Have now banished Axel to the support group and will have Nagi take his place as my PPS user for duping lol.

Edit:

Finally got my PPS, but the last boss of the Flashback scenario is owning my face left and right. I also still don't have a good caster weapon :(

My mages currently have some crappy flamethrowers straight from the shop equipped haha. While doing my ending runs, there were times where I didn't want to bother with casting, and also one of the moon missions goes way faster by shooting a couple geoblocks to rush a generator. Since I didn't want to change anyone else's weapons or bother swapping a lot, I just threw them on my mages =p

Honestly I've barely messed with items at this point x.x got to 96 on a sardine bone for some innocent boosting, and I've got a few maxed innocents, but that's about it. At this point I'm pretty much using a ton of duped maxed Gladiators as a crutch =p Need to work on that soon....

I wouldn't bother with innocent boosting via innocent route. Duping and combining is way more time efficient.

I've cleared the X-Dimension (which I wasn't even planning on, just meant to get it to 39% and ended up finishing it). Now I need to do decide whether I want to do reverse pirating save scumming to get a statistician and the other reverse pirating innocents ( Weapon Innocents and Guardians, Fusion/Magichange Lovers, Lose Lose innocents) or if I want to Discipline stuff to get P Flonzor X parts and then go Meowking hunting.

Eh. If you're willing to put time into farming CP it can be useful. You can essentially setup a version of MtO4 with Tier 6 level 9999 Androids.

There's no real practical use for this because with the cheat shop you can go from 1 to 9999 in a single clear of LoC MtO4 with enough stars (~18ish) for the Gargoyles to be 9999 if you have enough statisticians.

Seil

I wouldn't bother with innocent boosting via innocent route. Duping and combining is way more time efficient.

I've cleared the X-Dimension (which I wasn't even planning on, just meant to get it to 39% and ended up finishing it). Now I need to do decide whether I want to do reverse pirating save scumming to get a statistician and the other reverse pirating innocents ( Weapon Innocents and Guardians, Fusion/Magichange Lovers, Lose Lose innocents) or if I want to Discipline stuff to get P Flonzor X parts and then go Meowking hunting.

Yeah I've since realized on the duping of innocents, that said it's still a nifty tool for subduing initial innocents that I don't have a subdued version of. Last night I decided to get one of my Makai Wars to 300 and 6 move and dupe it - beats the hell out of using common Barefoot X's(minus jump obviously). There are better options sure, but I wanted one at 300 anyway and at this point it's a big upgrade haha.

Will probably do X-Dimension now, or work on characters a bit since I have maxed statisticians.

IvorB

I think I wanna get this. I love strategy games and I love RPGs. But what's the pace like on this. Games like Valkyria Chronicles and XCOM where I have to direct ever troop's movement turn-by-turn can burn me out after a while. Is the gameplay more fast paced that this?

Also is demo up on PSN for Europe?

You direct every characters movement and single action per turn but you can have a maximum of 10 characters deployed at a time (if one gets killed it still counts as being deployed for the duration of the map).

I think I wanna get this. I love strategy games and I love RPGs. But what's the pace like on this. Games like Valkyria Chronicles and XCOM where I have to direct ever troop's movement turn-by-turn can burn me out after a while. Is the gameplay more fast paced that this?

Also is demo up on PSN for Europe?

Unit movement speed in D4 is extremely fast if you set it to be, but they don't teleport around.
Pacing is good if you disable all spell/system effects, you're generally not waiting very long for a turn to end unless there are more than ten-ish enemy units on the board.
You still have to move around a fair number of units to solve some of the more puzzle-type maps. It's not a super-complex movement system if you're willing to 'read' the geo-effects on a map and understand that terrain in Disgaea games is more than just the elevation differences. Lift/throw is the only thing you really have to master, even diagonal throws don't take much practice.

ok reading this thread a bit, and it reminds me that reading about post game Disgaea makes it sound like a completely new game.

Any tips for someone playing through the story? good leveling maps during the story, and when does the Character world open up?

Seil

ok reading this thread a bit, and it reminds me that reading about post game Disgaea makes it sound like a completely new game.

Any tips for someone playing through the story? good leveling maps during the story, and when does the Character world open up?

Focus on a small number of characters and embrace the Desco =p Honestly probably not a good person to give advice on initial story playthroughs though haha. I tend to just approach them as I want beyond the general idea of a balanced team. Pass the cheat shop bill when you can if you intend to grind, because it's awesome.

2-2 I believe is okay for very early levels, cause a geo chain and reap the bonus gauge rewards. 5-2 is great, at difficulty 8 the enemies are lv99 which is awesome exp and it's four clusters of 4 monsters. 9-4 is good for desco and monsters fused with Desco. At this point, you're mostly preparing for taking on Mount Ordeal for even better exp though haha.

Chara World unlocks when you've reincarnated a character for 100+ levels I believe.

Kazerei

Banned

I wrote up this post for someone new to Disgaea, and this post to describe some fun tricks I used to blast through the story without grinding.

Main point is just focus on a few characters to level up. In the Cam-pain HQ, you can set the Training Ground and Aura Pyramid to let the other characters gain a bit of EXP and mana. But there's no point grinding more than you need to during the story. Save that effort for the post-game.

IvorB

Unit movement speed in D4 is extremely fast if you set it to be, but they don't teleport around.
Pacing is good if you disable all spell/system effects, you're generally not waiting very long for a turn to end unless there are more than ten-ish enemy units on the board.
You still have to move around a fair number of units to solve some of the more puzzle-type maps. It's not a super-complex movement system if you're willing to 'read' the geo-effects on a map and understand that terrain in Disgaea games is more than just the elevation differences. Lift/throw is the only thing you really have to master, even diagonal throws don't take much practice.

Thanks. Got the demo so I will give it a go. Didn't make it passed the cheesy intro yet but I'll keep going.

I don't think there's one that covers everything exactly as it is in this version, unfortunately.

The final patch of the PS3 version of D4 (which is included in this) significantly changed the way item levelling works and none of the guides really got updated to deal with it.

Disgaea D2 which was the next released game, changed an immense amount (simplifying things and moving to a system thats more like a hybrid of D1 and D2 with D3 and D4).

If you ignore the item levelling sections then this D4 PS3 guide is pretty solid: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/995078-disgaea-4-a-promise-unforgotten/faqs/62912 Its just missing the new item levelling method and the new duping method which are both fairly important for the post game but I think we've discussed them a bit in this thread.

Personal Update: Item Radar unlocked. Kurtis get. Meowkins Pirates defeated. Got one of almost every innocent subdued only missing some of the "cosmetic" ones that have no real use any more (6 of the Dual Stat Innocents (looks like Mediators are still bugging on Snipers , so you have to get them from a mystery innocent) and one of each rarity of the Collector innocent). Pretty good luck really.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Anyone who cross-posts over at gamefaqs have any of the 300% aptitude (and perhaps chara world evilities) yet?

Would love to snag some of those, and put 'em up in my pirate ship for others to capture.

anderedna

6 MV shoes(accelerator) - DONE
PPS obtained - DONE
Dup Statistician to 300 x 8 x 4 - DONE
Lvl up thief to 9999 - DONE
Lvl up Valvatorez to 9999 - DONE
Kill Meowkin Pirates - NOT DONE. I've been farming lvl 91+ for a few hours now, reload after reaching lvl 100. Is it true it can spawn on lower level legendary as well? My X-Map is around 60% completed.

RoeBear

6 MV shoes(accelerator) - DONE
PPS obtained - DONE
Dup Statistician to 300 x 8 x 4 - DONE
Lvl up thief to 9999 - DONE
Lvl up Valvatorez to 9999 - DONE
Kill Meowkin Pirates - NOT DONE. I've been farming lvl 91+ for a few hours now, reload after reaching lvl 100. Is it true it can spawn on lower level legendary as well? My X-Map is around 60% completed.

I've gotten them to spawn multiple times on floor 96 legendary. I'm pretty sure if you went the middle route on the item growth they're more likely to spawn. Middle route as in going to item and innocent growth equally, or the treasure route.

anderedna

I've gotten them to spawn multiple times on floor 96 legendary. I'm pretty sure if you went the middle route on the item growth they're more likely to spawn. Middle route as in going to item and innocent growth equally, or the treasure route.

Okay, thanks for the tips. I usually went item route all the way. Gotta try to level one more item using this way.

Top Bottom