• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited (Vita) |OT| Ultimate Complete Definitive GOTY Edition

Protag

Banned
Yeah the thing about those pirates are they're one of the rarest pirates in the game. I didn't run into them till about 150 hrs in on the PS3 version. I probably won't see them again for a while. :(

Did you win your battle against them?

RoeBear

Did you win your battle against them?

Nope with their speed stats I couldn't even land a spell. working on gladiator and tutor innocents right now. Once I get that I'll finish unlocking Mt. Ordeal, then farm a little, then search again for them. They have to be defeated to access LoC.

Also managed to get 10 worth of guardians. I'll probably wait till I get the Puppy Paw Stick to get them to max 300.

Nope with their speed stats I couldn't even land a spell. working on gladiator and tutor innocents right now. Once I get that I'll finish unlocking Mt. Ordeal, then farm a little, then search again for them. They have to be defeated to access LoC.

Do they? I thought you just had to collect all the parts and assemble
P Flonzor X
to unlock the LoC?

Protag

Banned

Also managed to get 10 worth of guardians. I'll probably wait till I get the Puppy Paw Stick to get them to max 300.

Soud ds good, now you just have to wait till you run into them again

igor

My friend gave me a code for this game yesterday and damn, he's some hero. The only drawback is that I need a bigger memory card now T_T

I haven't played Disgaea since the first one on Nintendo DS and I wasn't so stoked on the game. Partly because it was unappealing on NDS and the game seemed even more obscure. I liked it and did play a good bit, but I eventually gave up. I think it i even the smallest aspects of the game seem to have systems of their own. I think being a fan of Tactics Ogre and more standard sRPGs, this seemed too wacky and too gimmicky.

This time however, I see it's going to be different. I am absolutely loving it! I am in the beginning of the episode 2 and had done a bit of grinding in the item world and the game is like crack. I finally understand the systems a bit better and comboing is so much fun. Plus it looks so tasty on OLED. The amount of content is daunting, but I think I will just try to enjoy the story campaign first then worry about grinding levels.

How do the tower attacks work? Is the character on the bottom the one that has to have the tower skill attack equipped?
And what exactly are the innocents?

Is Laharl and Etna unlockable post story campaign? I miss that witch :(

If it's like Disgaea 2/3, yes. Flonne as well, IIRC.

That's correct. The post game recruits character (not including the separate DLC) are (in order)
Axel, Flonne, Raspberyl, Etna, Laharl, Asagi, Zetta
. There's also
Prinny Kurtis
but that battle is unlocked separately by talking to him in the Innocent Towns in the Item World.

Busaiku

I'm still pretty early on, only about halfway through Prinny Wars, but it goes to like level 1000?
Again, while I'm still early on, I'm not even gaining a level in a map all the time.

I'm still pretty early on, only about halfway through Prinny Wars, but it goes to like level 1000?
Again, while I'm still early on, I'm not even gaining a level in a map all the time.

Heheh, if only.

If you're concerned about level deficiency, use the cheat shop to jack up your EXP gain if you haven't already.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
This may be a bit of a longshot, given the apparent lack of players itt this time around, but does anyone have (or know of anyone who has) ~300% aptitude pirates and/or maxed antimatter fields/invincible armor/Makai wars I could nab/dupe?

I foolishly decided to max the invincible armor, not realizing it would take something like 200 Item God 2 kills to get the non def/res/hp stats up to the 2 mil cap. Currently at ~300k for the other fields, but it only goes up 9-12k at a time :/

Have 6 move and enough jump to max cap with 3x through dupes, though, lol. And it is forcing chara world progression, so there's that.

This may be a bit of a longshot, given the apparent lack of players itt this time around, but does anyone have (or know of anyone who has) ~300% aptitude pirates and/or maxed antimatter fields/invincible armor/Makai wars I could nab/dupe?

I foolishly decided to max the invincible armor, not realizing it would take something like 200 Item God 2 kills to get the non def/res/hp stats up to the 2 mil cap. Currently at ~300k for the other fields, but it only goes up 9-12k at a time :/

Have 6 move and enough jump to max cap with 3x through dupes, though, lol. And it is forcing chara world progression, so there's that.

Someone's working on 300% Pirates on gamefaqs (Dark_Cecil). I intend to eventually do a full evility/special set which will probably have 300% by default but I'm proceeding slowly this time around.

But you can't capture/dupe high tier equipment from friend pirates. The game automatically swaps them for junk.

So is this series fairly self-contained? i.e. I've never played any of the Disgaea games, will that matter if I want to play this one?

Each entry, with the exception of Disgaea Dimensions 2 (DD2), is an isolated story that takes place in the same multiverse.

While the main game usually only features maybe 1 character from an older title, you can get by without having played the previous games. Having said that, the post-game and DLC are ALWAYS cameo heaven that reference older events.
Heck, Flonne even acknowledges having met Raspberyl during the Raspberyl sidestory back in D3.

FLD

So is this series fairly self-contained? i.e. I've never played any of the Disgaea games, will that matter if I want to play this one?

You don't need knowledge of the previous games to follow the story. As bagandscalpel said, they're all isolated stories with completely different casts of characters, they just take place in the same general universe.

That being said, the gameplay and mechanics are refined and improved with each new release. So, if you start with this one it might be a little frustrating if you try going back to play the previous ones later on.

Metroidvania

Someone's working on 300% Pirates on gamefaqs (Dark_Cecil). I intend to eventually do a full evility/special set which will probably have 300% by default but I'm proceeding slowly this time around.

But you can't capture/dupe high tier equipment from friend pirates. The game automatically swaps them for junk.

Ah, I see, thanks. Might have to add you on PSN.

I could swear I read on Gamefaqs that there was a way around the steal-turning-into-junk method, but I may be either mistaken, or someone might be lying.

Mt Ordeals 4 cleared (Lets Go! Cha-Cha-Cha and Fight Shot are stupdendously broken. I was waay over level 300 when I pulled this off last time. Stacking all the passive evility buffs Rozalin/Nagi/Sister Artina/Vulcanus/Plenair also contributes in fairness to the before mentioned. Still broken though.)

Now I need to decided whether I should blitz through the rest of the story and recycle as quickly as possible to get Android , or reincarnate Val to drop his level, transfer Big Bang on him via char world and then really get into the power levelling and clear out the post game maps for full cheat shop goodness before recycling.

Edit - Probably going to do the quick cycle. The post game takes so much grinding that I could be working on that 300% Android while doing it.

Edit2 - Oops. Better get Petta first. I fisking hate command attack.
Edit3- Nope. Still hate Command Attack. 232 commands for 10 levels. That's abysmal. Still got Petta, so not everything is a loss.

Has this game customizable Prinnies?

tumblr_mzk7a1JwZw1rxcqpao1_1280.jpg

Busaiku

Hmm? There's only one thing I can think of where you get rewarded for taking longer and that's Nisa's Evility.

There seem to be no penalties for taking however long you like, but if you just take your time and do the stuff throughout the stage, then you get bonuses.
Like the 3rd stage in Prinny Wars took me forever, but I got like most of the rewards.

RoeBear

There seem to be no penalties for taking however long you like, but if you just take your time and do the stuff throughout the stage, then you get bonuses.
Like the 3rd stage in Prinny Wars took me forever, but I got like most of the rewards.

Yeah that can be true. It's always good to check the bonus rewards before you put all that time into it. That way you know if it's worth it or not.

Shinjica

Finished the main story yesterday and the Time Leap today. Really a great game but after playing D2 some mechanic from the 4 are really annoying, like farming the statitician or the possibility to modify the item world.

RoeBear

Finished the main story yesterday and the Time Leap today. Really a great game but after playing D2 some mechanic from the 4 are really annoying, like farming the statitician or the possibility to modify the item world.
The grinding level from D2 also had one of my favorite songs.

Metroidvania

That gap from the 90s-early 100s to the 500+ necessary for deeper item world diving or Mount Ordeals can be tough.

One 'exploit' that works out nicely is that level 99 enemies give the xp for level 300ish enemies. You can abuse that to help bridge the gap.

Also, once you find statisticians (and can discipline level 1000 nekomatas to get a puppy paw stick), amassing huge quantities of them takes only minutes. Statisticians >>>>>> Felonies.

In other news, apparently you can buy Gency's at the end of the end-game content
beating Baal after the Netherworld Tournament
for 1 trillion hell.

Thank the lord.

Shinjica

That gap from the 90s-early 100s to the 500+ necessary for deeper item world diving or Mount Ordeals can be tough.

One 'exploit' that works out nicely is that level 99 enemies give the xp for level 300ish enemies. You can abuse that to help bridge the gap.

Also, once you find statisticians (and can discipline level 1000 nekomatas to get a puppy paw stick), amassing huge quantities of them takes only minutes. Statisticians >>>>>> Felonies.

In other news, apparently you can buy Gency's at the end of the end-game content
beating Baal after the Netherworld Tournament
for 1 trillion hell.

Thank the lord.

can you share the system with the puppy paw stick?

Plus, i've character at level 2000 and Mount Ordeal 4 cleared several times. The gap is from 2000 to 9999 that take more times than D2

Metroidvania

can you share the system with the puppy paw stick?

Plus, i've character at level 2000 and Mount Ordeal 4 cleared several times. The gap is from 2000 to 9999 that take more times than D2

First off, you need the discipline room unlocked, be able to create the nekomata tier, and have Val at a higher level than what you want to discipline.

Get a level 1k+ Nekomata captured with the discipline system (it helps to use a death to eat away all its SP so you don't have to actually discipline it. Alternatively, Tyrant Val's no-life king evility works to get them at 1hp/1sp)

SAVE first, then ask for treasure. If the pirate map is in the x-dimension, it'll be either a pirate ship part or the puppy paw stick (pretty low % chance for the stick). Reset until you get one. Once you have the PPS, create a Bio-suit, and level it to 80 or so. It learns a unique special that turns it neutral, but double its base stats.

But if your characters are in the 2k range, you can just use a special like Tyrant Flughide, and just kill the neutral unit on the 1st map until you get a dupe of an item you've placed on the bio-suit (which can include all kinds of statisticians, guardians, fencers, etc...)

Go to the item world, pool together the doubled innocents, and repeat.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm playing D3 and am frustrated by a design flaw that I'm guessing could be in the other games as well. If you're in a stage with multiple islands that requires throwing teammates to get across, and you end up with one remaining member on one island, and all enemies on the other island, you basically can't do anything. I've had to quit the game and lost a bunch of progress since I hadn't saved in a couple maps because of this. I don't supposed there's a way around this that I've just overlooked?

I've been looking over this user-made changelist of changes between the PS3 version and Vita version:

http://greenzsaber.blogspot.com/2014/08/disgaea-4-ps3-to-psvita-changes.html

And here I was resetting for level spheres and item bills while leveling this item, lol
I'm playing D3 and am frustrated by a design flaw that I'm guessing could be in the other games as well. If you're in a stage with multiple islands that requires throwing teammates to get across, and you end up with one remaining member on one island, and all enemies on the other island, you basically can't do anything. I've had to quit the game and lost a bunch of progress since I hadn't saved in a couple maps because of this. I don't supposed there's a way around this that I've just overlooked?
Can't you just select "Retry" or "Go to Map Select" from the Quit menu option?

I've done that a lot whenever I've been stuck on a certain map.

RoeBear

In D4 vita version (and maybe in DD2, can't rememeber) there's a retry option. It's really helpful and saves a lot of time in situations like that. It also helps when you're looking for rarity of a certain equipment as it's much faster than quitting reloading and going back in the stage.

Edit beat:
Can't you just select "Retry" or "Go to Map Select" from the Quit menu option?

I've done that a lot whenever I've been stuck on a certain map.

It's not in either version of D3.

RoeBear

Ahh - sorry, forgot that was a new thing in this version.

Yeah, I usually save before and after doing stages in prior games.

Honestly the main reason I love this so much is because I always pick a stage I don't want. I used to either hope I had a save close, or waste a lot of time on a dumb map. Also, checking X-dimension maps then quitting if I'm not ready is a lot less stressful.

FLD

Yeah, the retry feature in D4 is a godsend. It's so useful that I've already lost the habit of saving after every single map. Going back to the older games is going to be really hard now that I've gotten used to depending on it. :/

Anyway, I just finished
the second "final" episode
and holy shit, this game's story is amazing! The series never took itself very seriously but this is a new level of ridiculous. It's been years since I last played the original but I think I might actually like 4 more. I also really appreciate how (so far) it's much less corny; D3 really went overboard in that regard...

Top Bottom