• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited (Vita) |OT| Ultimate Complete Definitive GOTY Edition

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I've never played a Disgaea game. Would this be a good one to start with?

This one.

Our review is up, we gave it a 9/10! It's the definitive edition, without question!

http://nichegamer.net/reviews/disgaea-4-a-promise-revisited-review-sardines-dood/

I'd appreciate it if you could add it to the OT :)

Great review, except you list the "bad" as being grind heavy, when, for most of us, that's one of the things we love best about the series :)

I'll probably get both lol.

You see I already have a lot on my plate with one release every week... I've alreay played Disgaea, but not 4. I already know what I would be getting into. Then on the other side there's Akiba's Trip, which is completely wacky and new, but I don''t know whether I would enjoy it or not... I'm leaning more towards the latter, since it would be a fast game to beat, and it would be a breath of fresh air. I will get Disgaea maybe further down the road, when I am not crammed with releases.

Kazerei

Banned
Welp, looks like my copy won't arrive until tomorrow. In the meantime, I downloaded the demo and I'm already having lots of fun. You can play through the first episode of the story, which is mostly tutorials. But more excitingly, there's also a Free Battle mode in which you're given:

* two dozen, well-equipped, level 80 characters
* every weapon of every type from ranks 1 to 39
* "hacked" weapons of each type with high stats and 99 move (lol?)
* joke weapons like the tennis racket, paper fan, and puppy paw stick
* a bunch of Gency Exits, red phones, and various other items
* lots of HL and mana to spend
* access to one battle per episode up to episode 6
* and of course, all the features you gradually unlock throughout the story, like item world, character world, Cam-pain HQ, etc.

Best demo ever

aett

In the past, I would always get the DoubleJump guide for Nippon-Ichi's strategy games - some of the best guides ever, especially for postgame stuff.

DJ Books is gone and apparently the BradyGames guide for the PS3 version of D4 is god-awful. That's a damn shame.

In any case, I'm anxious to go home and... begin a very long download on my Vita.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Got mine in! Old LE with the new.
iwpud99l.jpg

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
In the past, I would always get the DoubleJump guide for Nippon-Ichi's strategy games - some of the best guides ever, especially for postgame stuff.

DJ Books is gone and apparently the BradyGames guide for the PS3 version of D4 is god-awful. That's a damn shame.

In any case, I'm anxious to go home and... begin a very long download on my Vita.

The DJ guides were amazing. Loved them. Sad to see that they are gone... I won't bother with the Brady guides. No thanks.

LMN

Welp, looks like my copy won't arrive until tomorrow. In the meantime, I downloaded the demo and I'm already having lots of fun. You can play through the first episode of the story, which is mostly tutorials. But more excitingly, there's also a Free Battle mode in which you're given:

* and of course, all the features you gradually unlock throughout the story, like item world, character world, Cam-pain HQ, etc.

Best demo ever

My copy is not yet shipped, I might as well played the demo too, does the save carry over to the full game?

Best demo ever

Sounds like the best way to present this game in a demo.

Here's a bunch of cool things you can someday do in the game, have at it.

I haven't played D4 in a while and this game shows.
I wish they added the leveling system from D2 in this game where you level up and learn new moves in the process.

nyarla

Neo Member
I'm so glad there's a demo because I wanted to buy this on cart but it's not out in Australia for another month. I wouldn't have been able to hold out.. cool demo will do me fine for awhile! (cart version now preordered o/)

Call me crazy, but I wish disgaea had some pokemon-esque mechanics.
Would make upgrading so much easier knowing all your old playtime isn't completly useless now.

zulux21

Call me crazy, but I wish disgaea had some pokemon-esque mechanics.
Would make upgrading so much easier knowing all your old playtime isn't completly useless now.

you mean trading characters or something?

either way Nis should know they are going to port it to the vita and from the start should just design a system to allow you to bring your ps3 data over :/

alas it's why i get the games on the ps3 and just play the story and the on the vita I replay them and play all of the dlc and other stuff.

zulux21

i'm thinking it has to, right? yeah, i know, never 'assume' anything... but i'm still thinking it has to :) ...

I'd be shocked if it did... you can't give a player a bunch of broken weapons and let them carry them over to the full game that those weapons don't exist in.

I'd be shocked if it did... you can't give a player a bunch of broken weapons and let them carry them over to the full game that those weapons don't exist in.

talking more about leveling up characters rather than keeping items or whatever. in any case, i'll be finding out soon enough, i guess :) ...

zulux21

talking more about leveling up characters rather than keeping items or whatever. in any case, i'll be finding out soon enough, i guess :) ...

even then, allowing you to use broken items to level up wouldn't be right either. I am to lazy to personally check since I already have the full game in my vita though >.>;

TUSR

Banned
Went to pay off the rest of my PS4 Destiny bundle and ended up buying Disgaea 4 too.

Never played a game in the series before, hopefully I enjoy it as much as P4 which was my first Persona game as well.

Ohnonono

So I intend on starting to play this tonight. This is my first game in the series. From what I understand it can be really overwhelming and if you don't break through then it may be hard to get into what makes the game great. With that in mind does anyone have a nice breakdown of just how to start playing this game, what subsystems are important, what to save until you have your feet under you more and such. I want to get everything I can out of this game but it has a reputation for throwing lots of stuff at you pretty quick.

Thanks for any help! Hopefully I become a huge fan :)

Seil

So I intend on starting to play this tonight. This is my first game in the series. From what I understand it can be really overwhelming and if you don't break through then it may be hard to get into what makes the game great. With that in mind does anyone have a nice breakdown of just how to start playing this game, what subsystems are important, what to save until you have your feet under you more and such. I want to get everything I can out of this game but it has a reputation for throwing lots of stuff at you pretty quick.

I think the best advice is actually to just play around with things as they become available or when you feel like it. When you unlock the Cam-pain and have the mana, make a couple generics that fit your playstyle. Focus on 5 or so characters that fit your needs. Buy stuff when you want, money is easy to come by and you'll be swimming in it when you start grinding. And when you run into difficulty, grinding is always an answer.

Also pass the bill for the "Cheat Shop" early on. It lets you manipulate exp/mana/money rates and difficulty. Having trouble getting past something, but your best grinding spot isn't very efficient anymore? Boost the difficulty in the cheat shop and fix that.

Asking questions as they arise is probably better than trying to know what's best out the gate.

krpiper

So I briefly touched D3 for a few hours but it didn't "hook" me for whatever reason, but I am very interested in this series. Should I

1. Continue with D3 (essentially start over as its been so long)
2. Buy D4 Vita
3. Find a super cheap copy of D4 on the Ps3.

Koren

Our review is up, we gave it a 9/10! It's the definitive edition, without question!
With the Puppy Paw Stick nerfed a lot, the definitive edition for me is the one with the duping glitch you can exploit before updating the game ^_^ I already invest 400-500h in the game, I don't want to triple that value...

So I briefly touched D3 for a few hours but it didn't "hook" me for whatever reason, but I am very interested in this series. Should I

2. Buy D4 Vita
I'd say try again D3 before investing... D4 is so different from D3 except the short introducing story they call "game" at the beginning ^_^

More seriously, it depends on what you dislike in D3... If you found the characters annoying, get D4, it's a different cast/setting. If you found the gameplay somewhat limited, just go farther with D3, it's getting better and more interesting later.

(I think I prefer D3 over D4, though...)

Loto

2. Buy D4 Vita

If you didn't like D3 you may not like D4. At it's core it's the same game. Maybe try 3 again since you already have it, see if it clicks this time. However, if you do get 4, I would get the vita version over the ps3 version.

2. Buy D4 Vita

I did not enjoy D3, I couldn't get it to click. Every other Disagea is great though. I would probably try to find a cheap copy.

Kazerei

Banned

1. There are alot of features and mechanics in Disgaea, but you don't actually need to understand most of them to get through the story, so learn and explore at your own pace. I'll point out what you can safely ignore for now and what you shouldn't, but feel free to poke around anywhere you want to.

2. Evility Shop: you'll want to come here to learn skills and boost skills.

3. Cam-pain HQ: you'll want to come here at least to pass More Expensive Stuff bills in the Senate, which makes better items and equipment available in the store. You'll also need to visit the Senate if you want to create a new character. I don't think you need to worry about the other features too much.

4. Item World: you'll be coming here a lot in the post-game, heh heh. You can ignore it as you're progressing through the story. But if things are getting tough and you need to grind a bit, consider leveling up your equipment in the Item World, rather than just leveling up your characters. Even just the first 10 levels will greatly improve that piece of equipment's stats.

5. Character World: you can ignore this for now, and the Item World will be more helpful if you need to beef up your team

6. Items: I tend to horde everything, heh. Since you can use items to bribe Senators, you might as well keep everything until you want to sell stuff for HL (money). The Item Warehouse can hold 999 items so that won't be an issue for a long time. But when it does come time to sell stuff,

* Keep all Legendary items. Every item has a Rarity number from 0 to 255. If the Rarity is between 0 and 7, the item is Legendary and its name will flash gold.
* Keep all Mr. Gency Exits and Stealing Hands. They are super important.
* Keep all Senate-use items like Angel Cake, Gold Bars, Bombs, and Liquor.
* Equipment, you can sell if it's not Legendary
* Healing items, you can sell at your discretion. Some people just use healing items in battle rather than having a healer character. If you're not using healing items then whatever. Maybe hold on to a few just in case though.
* Anything else ... just ask​

7. Now let's talk about getting through the story. Since EXP is not shared (with a few exceptions), I'd recommend focusing on just 3-5 characters to fight with and level up, and having several other characters to use as fodder. Do feel free to play around with more characters if you want, it'll just take longer to finish the story. It's like in Pokemon games, where it's faster to blast through the story with 1-2 Pokemon than a full team of 6.

I know it's kinda boring to have such a small team, but it will be much easier to experiment with different classes and builds in the post-game. There are better grinding spots in the post-game, and you can bring low-level characters along to these high-level battles to level them up quickly. In Pokemon, you can swap out a weak 'mon for a strong one, so that the weak one can share some EXP. In Disgaea, you can have weak and strong characters participate in team attacks or tower attacks to share EXP. You can also put your best equipment on those weak characters to boost their stats immensely.

8. Geo panels and geo blocks: always pay attention to these and use them to your advantage. Some maps are practically puzzles that need to be solved to finish them.

9. Lifting and throwing: is a really, really, really useful mechanic. Is there a geo block on the other side of the map you want to destroy? Rather than taking 3 turns getting there, make a tower and throw someone across! Is an enemy standing on an annoying DEF +50% geo panel? Pick it up and toss it off!

10. The game does offer some explanations of the mechanics. There's the Help option in the hub world menu, the System option in the Cam-pain HQ menu, and some NPCs you can talk to. Or just ask GAF!

I'm so glad the Cheat Shop was added into this game. And finally an effing Retry/Go Back to Map Screen options while in-map.

Very good so far, but I enjoyed Disgaea 4 a hell of a lot on the PS3 (over 100-something hours). Looking forward to losing many nights with the complete edition.

RoeBear

I'm so glad the Cheat Shop was added into this game. And finally an effing Retry/Go Back to Map Screen options while in-map.

Very good so far, but I enjoyed Disgaea 4 a hell of a lot on the PS3 (over 100-something hours). Looking forward to losing many nights with the complete edition.

Cheat shop is nice. They didn't add the throw to any block like moving from Disgaea D2, so you have to do that switching lines thing which is annoying.

Is it okay to talk D3 here? Taking on the Raspberyl DLC finally. Had no idea the cap was so high off the start.

The strength/equip of enemies in the Raspberyl DLC is based on how much of the other side story stuff you've completed IIRC. Best source of trapezohedrons if you get them high enough.

cj_iwakura

The strength/equip of enemies in the Raspberyl DLC is based on how much of the other side story stuff you've completed IIRC. Best source of trapezohedrons if you get them high enough.

Hardly did any of it. I did have Mao up to 100, and that's what the first level's enemies are at. Raspberyl's at ~70.

In D3V/D4V all the side story content is scaled off your main game chapter progress (and scaled more for each of the post game story battles you clear (the mysterious thief plot ones)).

Theres also a little bit of scaling in the side stories as you progress through battles in each scenario but its small in comparison.

Top Bottom