• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited (Vita) |OT| Ultimate Complete Definitive GOTY Edition

Mononoke

Banned
I just beat Akiba's Trip and wanted to jump into this. REALLY dumb question. I've never played this series before, but does it have like an overworld? Like, can you travel and move around? Or is it more like Fire Emblem 3DS where you click a map, get a cut scene, then go into battles. I know how battles are played out. Just not sure how they are initiated, if that makes sense?

EDIT: nvm just watched some youtube videos. Looks great actually. Buying now.

Valentus

I bought the game yesterday, and also have disgaea 3 (both PSN purchases and disgaea 3 is not a PS+ purchase) but it seems that disgaea 4 cant find disgaea 3's save file to get the extra characters.

Anyone know how to do it?

Stella and Rutile are unlocked via a bill (Hade's Field Trip) that only Valvatorez can propose, so if you just advanced the story until you can propose bills it should show up then. (Given you have a D3V save of course)

I'm so torn between this and Akiba's Trip. I was planning on getting D3V first, but people advised me against it, so I backed off.

I've already played Disgaea 1 before, so I know the basics of what I should expect from the game, and it will be a fact that I'll extract more value per money invested, since the post game content is ridiculously huge. But at the same time Akiba's Trip is something new that I wanted to experience, and I like VNs with multiple endings.

Sigh, what a hard choice to make.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm so torn between this and Akiba's Trip. I was planning on getting D3V first, but people advised me against it, so I backed off.

I've already played Disgaea 1 before, so I know the basics of what I should expect from the game, and it will be a fact that I'll extract more value per money invested, since the post game content is ridiculously huge. But at the same time Akiba's Trip is something new that I wanted to experience, and I like VNs with multiple endings.

Sigh, what a hard choice to make.

Akiba is a lot of fun. But it can be beat in 20 hours. Actually 10 if you don't do all the side missions and level everything up. Have no idea how long this game is as its my first one in the series.

But if you do eventually get Akiba take your time and do everything. Just doing the main Missions straight can take as little as 8 hours. I got 20 hours of it because the first playtbrough I took my time and did everything. The other playthroughs were like speed runs since your weapons and gear carry over and makes it easier to beat everyone. The multiple endings are nice, but really the bulk of the game stays the same up until the last 40 min. Your choices will change certain scene's, but really it's not until the ending portion kicks over that your new route changes the story drastically.

I would totally recommend this game if you think it looks interesting and fun. It is. And the gameplay and collecting gear is addicting. But if you can only get ONE game, I figured I'd let you know what I think about it in terms of content. Granted I just bought Disgaea so I can't compare the two directly. I imagine this game is longer.

Akiba is a lot of fun. But it can be beat in 20 hours. Actually 10 if you don't do all the side missions and level everything up. Have no idea how long this game is as its my first one in the series.

But if you do eventually get Akiba take your time and do everything. Just doing the main Missions straight can take as little as 8 hours. I got 20 hours of it because the first playtbrough I took my time and did everything. The other playthroughs were like speed runs since your weapons and gear carry over and makes it easier to beat everyone. The multiple endings are nice, but really the bulk of the game stays the same up until the last 40 min. Your choices will change certain scene's, but really it's not until the ending portion kicks over that your new route changes the story drastically.

I would totally recommend this game if you think it looks interesting and fun. It is. And the gameplay and collecting gear is addicting. But if you can only get ONE game, I figured I'd let you know what I think about it in terms of content. Granted I just bought Disgaea so I can't compare the two directly. I imagine this game is longer.

Thank you very much for the information, it helped a lot. Yes, Disgaea will be longer, but I'll try to even out the pros and cons from both games to reach a decision.

Mononoke

Banned
Thank you very much for the information, it helped a lot. Yes, Disgaea will be longer, but I'll try to even out the pros and cons from both games to reach a decision.

I'm just starting Disgaea for the first time today. Pretty excited. But I mean, Akiba might be a great choice for you if you want something unique and different. I haven't played an RPG like Disgaea in a while (last major RPG I played was Demon Gaze which was a dungeon crawler). But I imagine if you play a lot of RPGs, then the appeal to Akiba is that it's something different.

So yeah, I think you can't go wrong with either one. Disgaea is obviously the proven series. And it's probably the better game (just based on what I know about the series and how people regard this title). But it all really comes down to what you feel like playing in this moment. I think you should get both eventually. Hope you enjoy whatever you buy. :D

I'm just starting Disgaea for the first time today. Pretty excited. But I mean, Akiba might be a great choice for you if you want something unique and different. I haven't played an RPG like Disgaea in a while (last major RPG I played was Demon Gaze which was a dungeon crawler). But I imagine if you play a lot of RPGs, then the appeal to Akiba is that it's something different.

So yeah, I think you can't go wrong with either one. Disgaea is obviously the proven series. And it's probably the better game (just based on what I know about the series and how people regard this title). But it all really comes down to what you feel like playing in this moment. I think you should get both eventually. Hope you enjoy whatever you buy. :D

Thanks, I'll eventually get both in the end, I'm in a pinch but it is just temporary.

And yes, I play a lot of RPGs, and SRPGs are among my favorite subgenre. I miss Disgaea's humor, though, because the ones that I played lately are kinda serious (Tactics Ogre, FFT, etc). VNs I'm not used to, because they usually stayed in Japan, but now with more coming (Like 999, VLR, Danganronpa) I'm getting them as soon as possible.

RoeBear

Cool. I'm going away for a business trip next week in the US so I was thinking to get a new Vita game. I'll definitely check out this demo.

Heads up you can import the save if you keep the demo, if you get the real game. Even if you get the cart. Obviously you can't import the op free battle part but the first chapter you can.

Finished Chapter 5 last night. The story is such an upgrade from D3 it's unreal.

Not finding a good grinding spot yet, item world is a little unsatisfying now that 'mov/dmg' panels and mushrooms/skulls are wrecking my ability to clear floors at low levels.

Found a scalper but only had 400kHL on me so I bought all but one ticket. Found him again later with only 10k on me. Gotta grind up more money :(

dorkkaos

Finished Chapter 5 last night. The story is such an upgrade from D3 it's unreal.

Not finding a good grinding spot yet, item world is a little unsatisfying now that 'mov/dmg' panels and mushrooms/skulls are wrecking my ability to clear floors at low levels.

Found a scalper but only had 400kHL on me so I bought all but one ticket. Found him again later with only 10k on me. Gotta grind up more money :(

A good grinding spot is 5-2. Just throw the blocks on the sides into the panel for a bonus 100% exp. if you want, you can get up to 200% bonus exp if you can get to the other 2 corners. Also, if you do 8 enemy bonus levels in the cheat shop I think, you get them to level 99. Because of a glitch (i think it's a glitch?), they give you exp of a level 300+ monster. Enjoy :D

A good grinding spot is 5-2. Just throw the blocks on the sides into the panel for a bonus 100% exp. if you want, you can get up to 200% bonus exp if you can get to the other 2 corners. Also, if you do 8 enemy bonus levels in the cheat shop I think, you get them to level 99. Because of a glitch (i think it's a glitch?), they give you exp of a level 300+ monster. Enjoy :D

5-2 kind of sucks because you can't really reach the far back corners in one turn, forcing you to clear 3 packs of mobs before you can get the alraunes in the back at a 200% bonus. It's a lot of setup and I've found it more rewarding at times to get the big panel combo by trashing the blocks than going through all that trouble for a 200% exp boost on a caster.

Item world is great for that. Just look for an uncommon item and jump in. Speed through the level if it has no reverse damage or invincible squares. You don't have to fight on every level. When you find the right level, bring out your low level people for power leveling.

RoeBear

5-2 kind of sucks because you can't really reach the far back corners in one turn, forcing you to clear 3 packs of mobs before you can get the alraunes in the back at a 200% bonus. It's a lot of setup and I've found it more rewarding at times to get the big panel combo by trashing the blocks than going through all that trouble for a 200% exp boost on a caster.

Throw the yellow block in the bottom right onto the purple panels and break it. You'll only get a 150% boost, but it's a lot faster.

cj_iwakura

Item world is great for that. Just look for an uncommon item and jump in. Speed through the level if it has no reverse damage or invincible squares. You don't have to fight on every level. When you find the right level, bring out your low level people for power leveling.

Especially if there's a Deathblow rule in effect. So good.

Is there a way to change Item World BGM in D3?

IvorB

Heads up you can import the save if you keep the demo, if you get the real game. Even if you get the cart. Obviously you can't import the op free battle part but the first chapter you can.

Thanks but there was no demo. I guess it was US only. :-(

Busaiku

Man, I had to redo that Geo tutorial so many times cause I kept killing my characters.
This seems way harder than other SRPGs I played (mostly Fire Emblem).

FLD

So, am I overlooking something obvious or did they remove the ability to view your total playtime in this one? This is my first time playing it so I have no idea whether the PS3 version displayed it or not but I know it was in the save file details in D3 and D1.

It's a minor complaint but I love being able to see that kind of gameplay data. :(

Otherwise, I just started Episode 4 and so far I'm loving the hell out of this game! I never fully understood the hate D3's story got but I can definitely see why D4 is considered a return to form. The story and characters are a lot more interesting/less cringey and those high def sprites look soooo good! Plus, a lot of small improvements just make it feel way more refined overall, like the evolution to the series that D3 wasn't. Really glad I pre-ordered this one.

RoeBear

So, am I overlooking something obvious or did they remove the ability to view your total playtime in this one? This is my first time playing it so I have no idea whether the PS3 version displayed it or not but I know it was in the save file details in D3 and D1.

It's a minor complaint but I love being able to see that kind of gameplay data. :(

Otherwise, I just started Episode 4 and so far I'm loving the hell out of this game! I never fully understood the hate D3's story got but I can definitely see why D4 is considered a return to form. The story and characters are a lot more interesting/less cringey and those high def sprites look soooo good! Plus, a lot of small improvements just make it feel way more refined overall, like the evolution to the series that D3 wasn't. Really glad I pre-ordered this one.

They took it out of the save file info, but talk to the mothman at your base to see total playtime.

Lots of systems.
I don't even know what I'm doing.

Geo panels and lift/throw are the most important ones to master early.
The only thing you'll need Cam-Pain HQ early on is to create new units for your army.
Once you've learned to study the 'terrain' created by geo panel effects Item World is basically a series of puzzles solved with lift + throw and destroying blocks so you can make advantageous terrain work for you and disadvantageous terrain disappear.
If you're constantly getting crushed in fights and it's not poor tactical decisions it's probably your gear.
Don't forget that your units only earn mana for killing blows on enemies. It can be annoying if your healer falls behind because you didn't teach them Espoir (which dispels debuffs) or power up their cure spells at the Evility Shop.

Aww, that sucks.
Really like his animations.

Not sure how seriously you're taking the plot or how far you are through so I've got absolutely no way to convey this without potential spoilers.
You can get him in D4: Axel is the first character you recruited in the Post Game plot.

If I recall, it's one of those annoying luck-based unlocks. To get it, think you have to meet Tenpay, a palette-swapped succubus, in an item world mystery room.

That's correct. Same with the character painter.

There is a way to force certain mystery rooms to appear given patience. Going to use some shorthand: XY , indicates any floor ending on Y.

(This Works in D2, D3 and D4 but not DD2)
Get to Floor X7 , Gency Out, save. Go back in. If there's not a mystery gate on floor X7, reload , if there is proceed to floor X0, reset if you get a mystery gate along the way. On X0 exit the item, through the gate/innocent town, you can optionally clear the floor for an extra Gency, and save. The next floor is guaranteed to have a mystery gate, so you can just keep reloading until you get the mystery room you want.

RoeBear

I haven't finished the flashback senario yet but there are some funny typos. They'll say not but it'll be spelled "notH".

Post game question- is this as dirty as I think it is?

I haven't finished the flashback senario yet but there are some funny typos. They'll say not but it'll be spelled "notH".

Post game question- is this as dirty as I think it is?

I got a bone to pick with NISA's translation....enthusiasm with the innuendo in the game, but yeah that seems about par for the course.

Lots of systems.
Be sure to move allies to adjacent squares before attacking so they will do support attacks. You can even undo the move of adjacent characters afterwards and move them somewhere else if they did not perform their own attack.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm a little annoyed the demo only allows you save the game from chapter one but not load the save to complete the chapter if you go to like... the senate and then force the vote. So annoying. :/

zulux21

Lots of systems.

all you really need to learn is the geo stuff and understand that attack means more damage defense means less damage... you can easily get through the story with just that knowledge and some screwing around in items world (if you learn the purpose of item world is to power up items that helps too but not needed)

disgaea has a ton of systems, but it's not like you have to master them all to beat the game, now get to and defeat the final optional bosses, that is a different story, but you can always just grind levels for the main story.

Busaiku

Yeah, I think I'm getting it now.
Still kinda confused about the Cam-Pain stuff.

All the characters are awesome though.

RoeBear

Was creating an innocent farming item when this happened
eLauQiv.jpg

Was so happy until I saw they were lvl 1000 and I was only at lvl 300 T_T

Was creating an innocent farming item when this happened
eLauQiv.jpg

Was so happy until I saw they were lvl 1000 and I was only at lvl 300 T_T
This reminded me of a playthrough I did on the original PS3 version. A couple of lv 1000 pirates came and I was extremely underleveled. The funny thing is, I had an invincible geo block that I had my strongest character stand on. The battle went on for an hour but I got some good exp from it!

RoeBear

Yeah the thing about those pirates are they're one of the rarest pirates in the game. I didn't run into them till about 150 hrs in on the PS3 version. I probably won't see them again for a while. :(

Just picked this up, can't wait to really dig in. For whatever reason I didn't spend nearly as much time with it as I did the previous games. Finished the story and put the PS3 version down.

Is there any indication that D2 might eventually come to the Vita? Missed out on the CE so I never ended up getting it which is really silly but oh well.

Top Bottom