• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 announced for PS4 in 2015

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I love the zombie maid face lol!

Something interesting that was noticed about the main character of this game: he's male, but he's doing that "sexy comic book pose" butt shot with an outfit and at an angle that would normally be associated with women. It's the first time I've ever seen that, really - and for the main character, and played completely straight and not for gags.
Imo even the body, both in the artwork and in-game, is more feminine than masculine, a strong female lead would have been a lot better.

Haha, love the designs as per usual. I don't mind the graphics at all as this is their first PS4 game and just like when it jumped to PS3 there wasn't a massive difference till 4 came out and moreso with D2.

Usalia and the fat yellow Prinny stick out the most as my favorite thus far. Though I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Prinnies anyway.

I'm loving the character designs so far.

There's just one oddity that I noticed.

Seraphine's band is on the wrong leg in-game and in the in-game portrait art.

UMGcg54.jpg

OvC0vVq.jpg

Character art here compared to...

in-game stuff here.

It's minor but it just stood out to me for some reason.

don't they flip the sprites depending on the camera position? facing left is probably the default state and facing right is flipped

I'm loving the character designs so far.

There's just one oddity that I noticed.

Seraphine's band is on the wrong leg in-game and in the in-game portrait art.

Character art here compared to...

in-game stuff here.

It's minor but it just stood out to me for some reason.

This happens all the time in anything 2D. No one is going to redraw things just to make someone face a different direction when putting together a composite picture or when doing sprite work in a game, so they just do a mirror flip

don't they flip the sprites depending on the camera position? facing left is probably the default state and facing right is flipped

This happens all the time in anything 2D. No one is going to redraw things just to make someone face a different direction when putting together a composite picture or when doing sprite work in a game, so they just do a mirror flip

I didn't consider that.

Makes sense.

biezel

I haven't played a Disgaea since pouring 200 hours into the original. Now my return is imminent. Thinking about picking up D4 on Vita after I finish P4:G... which might not be for a while.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Teaser - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-09-04/disgaea-5-characters-story-previewed-in-video/.78382

The game will ship for the PlayStation 4 in Japan in spring 2015. The limited edition package of the game will come with an "Usaria & Yellow Prinny" Niitengo mini figure, a hard cover art book, a 2-disc original soundtrack, and a box to contain everything that has original artwork. Those who pre-order the game will receive a download code for an alternate bunny girl outfit for Seraphine. The limited edition pack of the game will retail for 10,200 yen (about US$102), the normal version will sell for 7,200 yen (US$72), and a downloadable copy will cost 6,171 yen (US$62).

Hmmmm.

Amir0x

Banned
indeed, I will likely get a ps4 fall 2015 (well more likely late spring) just for disgaea 5

For me it's the ultimate stat whore game. So many ways to break the game, so many ways to enter the zen-like world of number scrolling and character tweaking. It's the best, just the best :D

Although man they always find a way to top their creepy character designs one way or another :p

By the way it says "new point: revenge" on the scans, how does the revenge system work exactly?

OmegaDL50

Based on the artwork here

UMGcg54.jpg

I'm almost assured the main character is going to be a Fist user based on the pose he using here.

Besides some of my favorite characters in the entire series were Fist users.

Adell, Mr. Champloo (Nyahahaha BOOM!), Fenrich, as well as a few others.

This means unique Fist attacks for the Hero, which if they are like the unique fist attacks the above characters got, it's cool, and then there is also the fact that Fist users ultimately end up with Big Bang which as if Disgaea 3, has basically became the standard for clearing the Cave of Ordeals leveling spot.

Much like how Wing Slayer in Disgaea 1 was pretty the go-to move for leveling up in Cave of Ordeals 3.

Although Disgaea D2 was an exception to this, being that it's leveling map emphasized on using either Fire or Star magic.

petghost

Banned
so im sure you guys probably covered it but it def looks like the generics (mainly i noticed the thief/archer) got re-sprited. the archer especially has quite a different pose.

Atlas157

I want to get into the series before this game comes out. Which game is the easiest for a beginner? I downloaded A Promise Revisited (demo) on my Vita and I like the gameplay and love the humor so I really want to get into the series.

petghost

Banned
I want to get into the series before this game comes out. Which game is the easiest for a beginner? I downloaded A Promise Revisited (demo) on my Vita and I like the gameplay and love the humor so I really want to get into the series.

i still havent played d2 but here are my thoughts.

4 would be a fine starting point, it was their first attempt at HD sprites and it adds slightly on the mechanics of previous games. in fact basically all disgaea games are very similar with slight tweaks to units and occasionally added/removed mechanics, but not huge game changing ones. the 1st game has a great cast and setting but i dont feel like the gameplay had really come together yet. 2 is the start of what i consider a very typical disgaea game. there is a great psp port of 2 with a ton of added content. a portable port with a bunch of added content is also typical of disgaea games.

so basically dont worry too much about it, they are all good and not remarkably dissimilar from one another.

Falk

that puzzling face

Heh, considering how much Disgaea breaks the 4th wall and general writing style, I wouldn't be surprised if at some point we get a character that appears upside down whenever facing left and right side up whenever facing right (reason for which conveniently explained in the dialogue) in a desperate bid to maintain wearing accessories on the right limbs.

Atlas157

i still havent played d2 but here are my thoughts.

4 would be a fine starting point, it was their first attempt at HD sprites and it adds slightly on the mechanics of previous games. in fact basically all disgaea games are very similar with slight tweaks to units and occasionally added/removed mechanics, but not huge game changing ones. the 1st game has a great cast and setting but i dont feel like the gameplay had really come together yet. 2 is the start of what i consider a very typical disgaea game. there is a great psp port of 2 with a ton of added content. a portable port with a bunch of added content is also typical of disgaea games.

so basically dont worry too much about it, they are all good and not remarkably dissimilar from one another.

Okay, I'll start with 4. I'll download the PS2 games from PSN too.

just got to see some famitsu

main character laharl grown-up is called 'ki-ri-a' so killia? killya?

etna-fionne mashup girl is called "se-ra-fi-nu" so seraphine, no doubt.

girl with fat prinny is "usaria".

ReaperXL7

Yeah I'm looking at scans right now myself and I like the way it looks. It's not going to blow anyone away mind you but it's very clean and I like how colorful it is. It sucks that we will most likely not see this in the west until 2016 but hopefully due to the success of the PS4 in the west NIS won't make us wait as long.

Nyx

I really want to love this series, but 4 got so confusing pretty fast that I never could get into it fully.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
already played the TGS demo. loved it! amazing graphics, good game, easy enough japanese.

will buy the limited edition

KingJolly

Banned
So I gave the Disgaea 5 demo a shot. Definetly a Disgaea game with cleaner graphics and more crazy skills.

Doesn't seem to change a lot but the Revenge system is a nice touch and I love some of the new monster designs. Not a fan of the main Anti hero's design, but hopefully his personality is entertaining at least. Day one for sure though

May16

? Seems to match the proportions of her original sprite just fine to me.

Oh is that the sprite in the big image above? I thought it was just the artwork. If that's the sprite then yeah I guess that's true. But looking at the art of Seraphine and the art of the alt costume look like two different characters to me.

Top Bottom