• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 PC performance thread

bongpig

Neo Member
They fixed the performance of The Evil Within about a month after release.
It still requires a fast CPU (id Tech 5 always does) but should be able to stay above 60 FPS on most Intel quad-cores.

You misunderstand. I dont have FPS issues. The game runs 80+fps with vsync off. But getting a reliable v-sync was impossible. The game would be running at a rock solid 60fps and still be stuttering horribly. Exactly the same issue as DH2. If they couldn't fix it in Evil Within, I highly doubt they will with this game.

Akronis

they should've gone with Id Tech 6. Doom really runs amazing in the engine.

id Tech 6 was in development in parallel to Dishonored 2 so it wouldn't have been possible without delaying it.

I don't get Arkane's development. They modify id Tech 5 for DH2 and now they're doing Prey with fucking CryEngine. Pick one god damn engine and stick with it.

id Tech 6 was in development in parallel to Dishonored 2 so it wouldn't have been possible without delaying it.

I don't get Arkane's development. They modify id Tech 5 for DH2 and now they're doing Prey with fucking CryEngine. Pick one god damn engine and stick with it.

Prey entered development after DH2 had started and it's possible that the Arkane Lyon guys told the Austin guys "You do NOT want to use this engine!"

pa22word

I mean you do realize Texas and France are a long ways away from each other right =p

brau

We'd be waiting for a while considering the games were developed in parallel.

Should have bitten the royalty bullet and gone with UE4.

I mean, i understand them trying to go for the Bethesda tools and engines for any of their dev cycles. If ID tech 6 is not available then like Crichton said U4 made more sense. Specially since hte first one was in UE3 and it ran just fine.

I do know that someone from the devs said that the Void is a 90% rewrite of ID Tech 5... not sure what that would entail. But it seems more work into it to not make it work properly than just investing in a tool that would work right off the bat.

Paragon

You misunderstand. I dont have FPS issues. The game runs 80+fps with vsync off. But getting a reliable v-sync was impossible. The game would be running at a rock solid 60fps and still be stuttering horribly. Exactly the same issue as DH2. If they couldn't fix it in Evil Within, I highly doubt they will with this game.
It's definitely not an engine problem in The Evil Within. The game runs perfectly smooth for me.
The stuttering in the linked video looks like the kind of stutter you get from a 60 FPS framerate limiter without using V-Sync.

The problem with the initial release is that the game logic was only running on two main threads, so performance was being bottlenecked by the CPU.
This was fixed in the first patch, about a month after release.

why the hell doesn't this game save my vsync lock settings when i boot it up? It's fucking annoying having to adjust graphic settings everytime I wanna play

edit: do you guys have triple buffering on or off?

b0se

Banned
why the hell doesn't this game save my vsync lock settings when i boot it up? It's fucking annoying having to adjust graphic settings everytime I wanna play

edit: do you guys have triple buffering on or off?

off here

But it doesnt make a difference anyway from my point of view ...

SimplexPL

If triple buffering on/off works as intended, then when it's off, you would have instant drop to 30fps every time the game is not able to sustain 60fps. So even if your fps would drop to 59 for a second, with triple buffering disabled you'd see immediate drop to 30fps, which is extremely jarring and annoying - that's why I NEVER disable triple buffering when using vsync.

b0se

Banned
Started a new playthrough with the latest beta patch and I have to say I am quite impressed ( not really ) the first 20-30 minutes of the game run very well, my fps is almost double but as soon as you get on the streets the drama starts once again, 30-40 fps

piece of shit game

BraXzy

It's depressing after how hyped for this game I was, it's still in a terrible state a month out from launch :(

Admittedly I haven't actually tried myself to see how things are now but the comparison videos I watched for the most recent patch really don't look any better. I regret paying full price.

Moff

1.2 improved ot a lot actually, it's playable, but not really smooth either. I have stopped playing, but there is really not much hope left that they ever patch it to run really smooth

J3nga

I doubt it's going to be smooth, well, not until GTX 1580TI gets released, it's a worse port than AA for me at least.

Moff

AA got fixed at least, I never played it at launch but I bought it at the summer sale and it ran perfectly

I would be happy if DH2 was ever fixed like AA, but at this point I doubt it

Paragon

I've been doing some performance testing this weekend after swapping out my GTX 960 with a GTX 1070 and no longer being GPU-limited.
This is the first game where I've actually found performance to be considerably better in borderless full-screen mode rather than full-screen exclusive mode.

Triple Buffering doesn't seem to do anything to help performance in borderless mode for me.
Triple Buffering is actually kicking the game out of full-screen exclusive mode if you enable or disable it, so that's something to be aware of.

Unfortunately I don't have good news from testing the performance on this new card.
It seems like the underlying problem is the engine.
id Tech 5 has always been really CPU-intensive when streaming in textures and I think they're just asking too much of the engine - at least on my system with a 4.5GHz 2500K.
The main stuttering problems are eliminated by reducing the texture resolution to the lowest possible and making sure that shadow quality is anything below ultra, as that seems to really increase CPU usage too.
Using the "auto" preset and then turning down the texture resolution runs at a near-constant 60 FPS.
There are still some areas in the game that will stutter, but that always seems to be CPU-related. It's just too much for a 2500K.

Does anyone know how to access the console in Dishonored 2?
Other id Tech 5 games like RAGE and Wolfenstein: The Old Blood had a lot of virtual texturing settings which could be used to reduce the CPU usage at the cost of using more RAM or having more pop-in if you spin the camera around quickly and I'm wondering if they are just hiding them behind a single "texture quality" setting now.

4670k, 980ti. Should I keep waiting for this game to get better? From the recent posts, it seems like I should just start a different game and continue to wait.

Any news on more patch updates, or is that it?

Up to the dust district, and there are some bad parts there in performance, stuttering and a noticeable drop in FPS.

Having said that, the game is fun to play. :)

epmode

4670k, 980ti. Should I keep waiting for this game to get better? From the recent posts, it seems like I should just start a different game and continue to wait.

If you're sensitive to frametiming issues, I'd wait. Game feels like it stutters even when frame counters show a flawless 60 FPS.

Beyond that, the framerate feels lower than it should for the game's fidelity. Lots of aliasing as well (I'm not typically annoyed by aliasing but it's some of the worst I've ever seen).

It's too bad. Outside of the technical problems, the game's brilliant.

If you're sensitive to frametiming issues, I'd wait. Game feels like it stutters even when frame counters show a flawless 60 FPS.

Beyond that, the framerate feels lower than it should for the game's fidelity. Lots of aliasing as well (I'm not typically annoyed by aliasing but it's some of the worst I've ever seen).

It's too bad. Outside of the technical problems, the game's brilliant.

Are you using TXAA? It does a pretty good job in hiding aliasing imo. They even included a sharpness filter to counter the blur.

Dmax3901

It has kinda felt like now that the initial uproar has passed they're happy to move on. I'm sure more patches are coming though.

epmode

Are you using TXAA? It does a pretty good job in hiding aliasing imo. They even included a sharpness filter to counter the blur.

TXAA blurred the hell out of the game the last time I tried it. I think I even maxed out that sharpness meter. I'll try it again if they ever fix the frame pacing.

brau

So. Decided to give this game another shot.

At 1080p with most things on Ultra and water on Med. Vsync at 60 and im getting a locked 24fps. i get rid of Vsync and it goes up to 30fps. WHY????

Running on a GTX1080 on an i7 with 16gigs of ram. This should not be happening. It didn't happen before either. What is going on?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any news on more patch updates, or is that it?

Up to the dust district, and there are some bad parts there in performance, stuttering and a noticeable drop in FPS.

Having said that, the game is fun to play. :)

The "patch2" dev branch, which should really be renamed, is newer than the public build, more or less confirming that at least one more patch will be released.

So. Decided to give this game another shot.

At 1080p with most things on Ultra and water on Med. Vsync at 60 and im getting a locked 24fps. i get rid of Vsync and it goes up to 30fps. WHY????

Running on a GTX1080 on an i7 with 16gigs of ram. This should not be happening. It didn't happen before either. What is going on?

Are you sure you don't have vsync forced externally or something else that may be interfering? I completed the game a week-and-a-half ago, but after the first patch it ran like butter for me at 1080p with the Ultra preset, although by that point I'd already completed the infamous Karnaca Docks level, and we have a similar system (I've 32GB RAM rather than 16GB and I'm guessing that your i7 isn't a 6800K).

brau

The "patch2" dev branch, which should really be renamed, is newer than the public build, more or less confirming that at least one more patch will be released.

Are you sure you don't have vsync forced externally or something else that may be interfering? I'm done with the game now, but after the first patch it ran like butter for me at 1080p with the Ultra preset, although by that point I'd already completed the infamous Karnaca Docks level, and we have a similar system (I've 32GB RAM rather than 16GB and I'm guessing that your i7 isn't a 6800K).

Getting rid of the ini file and the exe file and validating seemed to fix things for me. No idea what the update did to lock the fps to 24 tho. Super weird. Testing it out, and yes, like you said, i think i get a good performance out of it now. Karnaka intersection doesn't get any more drops. But i did see in the second level a drop to 53. The stutter from the frame pacing is still present too. It doesn't seem smooth. I really want to like and appreciate this game. Its too bad that its not there yet.

120v

is there a reason the resolution keeps resetting each time i boot up? i don't recall ever having this problem with other games

bongpig

Neo Member
I'm sure more patches are coming though.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Looking at the patch notes form 1.3:-

http://steamcommunity.com/games/403640/announcements/detail/585862112210538980

In the "known issues" section, there's no mention of performance or frame pacing problems. I'm guessing they will release one more final patch and it wont do anything for the stuttering. Instead it will fix the *really* important stuff like TXAA sharpness changing to 1 when you switch AA modes.

Truant

No frame pacing issues?

There is some hitching if I spin around right after loading a level, but it goes away after that. I don't notice any frame pacing during normal play, althought I'm not super sensitive to it at 60 fps.

For reference I absolutely can't stand the frame pacing issues in Bloodborne.

brau

There is some hitching if I spin around right after loading a level, but it goes away after that. I don't notice any frame pacing during normal play, althought I'm not super sensitive to it at 60 fps.

For reference I absolutely can't stand the frame pacing issues in Bloodborne.

Thats interesting. I am more sensitive to the stutter in FPS rather than 3rd person games. Specially one that have some sort of auto or soft lock. This game is even worse when i am doing slow pans here and there when being sneaky... its just so apparent that it feels jarring.

I tried the game last night and got it to fix on 60fps tho indoors i got a drop to 53 for no reason. I'll do some more testing, but on the 3 corner of Karnaca that i had a constant drop to 40s i no longer had anymore issues. Karnaca actually ran at full 60fps which was awesome. But i expected that since i am running the game at 1080p.

There is also a slight hiccup when going into combat and it triggering a killing animation. Reminds me of the slight freeze frame that XComm had when doing a move.

MazeHaze

Banned
performance wasn't the best all around, but since patch 1.2 the game has been perfectly playable, I finished it a few days ago. Mostly locked 60, with very occasional drops. Not ideal, but I've seen worse.

This is at 1080p very high on a gtx 980, i5 4690k and 8 gb ram

Kaleinc

Banned
I don't think we can say how well id tech 6 would suit anything else yet, considering id developed both the engine and the only game that's been built on it so far. Other devs will probably have a harder time taking a crack at it.

I haven't played many CE games over the years though so I donno.
Speaking of cryengine, even first Crysis still drops frames like crazy in some areas on any hardware. Please be excited.

b0se

Banned
Speaking of cryengine, even first Crysis still drops frames like crazy in some areas on any hardware. Please be excited.

The visuals in the first crysis are 10 times superior to what we get in Dishonored 2 even tho it was released in 2007, so... it's kinda justified you kno ?

What has Dishonored 2 to offer in terms of graphic fidelity ? Nothing, besides beautifully painted textures that honestly dont look that good up close at all even on Ultra, so ...

Coreda

The visuals in the first crysis are 10 times superior to what we get in Dishonored 2 even tho it was released in 2007, so... it's kinda justified you kno ?

It still looks good today (played it recently) but DH2 is the better game in terms of visual design and tech despite the issues sadly plaguing the engine used. When it's playable downsampled with improved IQ at some point in the future it will be a treat.

Top Bottom