• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 PC performance thread

brau

I don't have a high framerate monitor or G-Sync so maybe I don't understand how it works at high framerates but shouldn't that be expected with V-Sync disabled? Constantly fluctuating framerates are going to create constantly changing frametimes, no?

With VSync off i get awful tearing.

But that is not the frame pacing issue here. DF has a good video about frame pacing. i'll go find it so it explains it better than i can.

EDIT:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1200406

Thread about it.

bongpig

Neo Member
Bah! Latest patch not done anything for my frame pacing issues. Still exactly the same; Rock solid 60 - yet loads of stuttering.

Another 45 minutes wasted pissing around with this game. Thats 5 hours I've now thrown down the toilet trying to get this pile of shite to work. Grrrr.

Ninjatogo

I don't really agree with that.
It implies that PC game performance is inherently inconsistent/unreliable.
As always, I would say that the difference is perception, not performance.
What I consider to be smooth performance (V-Synced and never dropping a frame below 60) is definitely not what many PC gamers consider to be "smooth performance".

For example:
The highlighted sections all contradict.
I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember the original Dishonored never dropping below 60 FPS on my old GTX 570 at 1080p, without any frame pacing/stutter issues.
It definitely was not "~40 - 60fps" and I would not call that "fantastic" performance.

Since their framerate is below 60 FPS and performance goes up when they drop the resolution, it means that they're being GPU-limited in this test before they are CPU-limited.
You have to eliminate the GPU bottleneck before you will see performance issues caused by the CPU.

If they're happy with how it's running now, that's fine.
But it has not been fixed at all, and I don't believe that some of these issues are things which can be "fixed" - the problem is that it's a CPU-heavy game and old CPUs just cannot handle it.
I will say that it does seem somewhat improved with this patch once you've been through an area.
In Karnaca, it seems to be using around 3.8GB of VRAM at 1080p on very low texture quality settings now, when it was previously using about 2.8GB of VRAM.
So they seem to be caching more in memory, but that doesn't prevent the game from stuttering when it loads things in the first time.

I should have probably been a little clearer. The performance is still worse than what I expected but the improvement regarding the stutter on my machine makes it feel much smoother than what I had before and that I consider fantastic, because I can finally play the game.

Bah! Latest patch not done anything for my frame pacing issues. Still exactly the same; Rock solid 60 - yet loads of stuttering.

Another 45 minutes wasted pissing around with this game. Thats 5 hours I've now thrown down the toilet trying to get this pile of shite to work. Grrrr.

That sucks.

Here's the frame pacing issue that I had before. Can't recall if this was out of the box or after the first patch. You can see it hitching when panning in front of the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFo9SJuX32o

Here it is after today's patch. No stutter. Tested in other sections too with same result. Unfortunately I'm done with the game for now but I'm not at least a bit more excited about future replays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_-MmVpmNZk

brau

That sucks.

Here's the frame pacing issue that I had before. Can't recall if this was out of the box or after the first patch. You can see it hitching when panning in front of the wall.

Here it is after today's patch. No stutter. Tested in other sections too with same result. Unfortunately I'm done with the game for now but I'm not at least a bit more excited about future replays.

I still notice that slight stutter on your second video. Pan it slowly, you'll see it. Its a frame pacing issue.

Enclose

I still notice that slight stutter on your second video. Pan it slowly, you'll see it. Its a frame pacing issue.

Yep. Exactly the same problems. Solid 60FPS all the time but moving the camera around just dont feel right at all. After 4 Patches still not fixed, i dont know what to do anymore...

epmode

Just installed the latest beta. Something's different. I used to be able to stand in an area and strafe from side to side (without moving the camera) and I'd see constant little microstutters even though Fraps would report a perfect 60. Now, those stutters are gone.

However, mouse movement still seems less smooth than it should be. Like, it's not as smooth as Doom even when they're running at the same framerate.

So it seems to be an improvement but it's still not fixed.

edit: Wait, the strafing microstutters came back when I alt-tabbed back. ..and then went away again. What's going on with this game?

edit edit: The other weird thing is that I can instantly tell when my framerate drops from 60 FPS to, say, 57 FPS. This is on a G-Sync monitor (which is supposedly enabled) so it shouldn't seem like a big difference, but I can still tell right away. Playing at 50 FPS feels much more stuttery than it should. Might be a frame pacing thing again? Maybe G-Sync isn't actually enabled even though my monitor thinks it is?

edit: Wait, the strafing microstutters came back when I alt-tabbed back. ..and then went away again. What's going on with this game?

I noticed before that if the game got particularly stuttery I could pause the game to the main menu and then resume and they would go away for a time.

edit edit: The other weird thing is that I can instantly tell when my framerate drops from 60 FPS to, say, 57 FPS. This is on a G-Sync monitor (which is supposedly enabled) so it shouldn't seem like a big difference, but I can still tell right away. Playing at 50 FPS feels much more stuttery than it should. Might be a frame pacing thing again? Maybe G-Sync isn't actually enabled even though my monitor thinks it is?

Someone earlier in the thread noted that frame pacing seemed to get worse on either end of 60

On every pan? Even playing back at quarter speed I don't see anything on the second video while it's rampant in the first video.

Has Arkane commented at all about the frame pacing problem? It's clear that something's very wrong with the game's performance.

Not that I've noticed. If it's inherent to the engine like it seems I kind of doubt that they will because that would be throwing someone else in the same company under the bus.

Hopefully they are talking to id's engineers behind the scenes though.

Moff

hmm, I haven't played in a few weeks but I don't think it's much better. it was already playable with the last betapatch but didn't feel supersmooth. I can't say it feels supersmooth now with the one from today.

brau

On every pan? Even playing back at quarter speed I don't see anything on the second video while it's rampant in the first video.

0:02 towards the slow down of that pan is pretty evident how it skips frame.
0:04 has a whole section after with some more frame skipping.
0:08 more frame skipping.

Its there. It just doesn't look smooth. To some it might feel like a stutter, tearing or mouse issue.

I mean.. to some people this might not be an issue, but it can cause motion sickness. I can tolerate frame pacing issues on 3rd person action games for the most part. Unless i need to have accuracy like where a good 60fps is needed. On a stealth game where i pan slowly and move around with smooth curves of motion the pacing issues are very evident.

0:02 towards the slow down of that pan is pretty evident how it skips frame.
0:04 has a whole section after with some more frame skipping.
0:08 more frame skipping.

Its there. It just doesn't look smooth. To some it might feel like a stutter, tearing or mouse issue.

I mean.. to some people this might not be an issue, but it can cause motion sickness. I can tolerate frame pacing issues on 3rd person action games for the most part. Unless i need to have accuracy like where a good 60fps is needed. On a stealth game where i pan slowly and move around with smooth curves of motion the pacing issues are very evident.

Thank god I can't see any of that. Looks and feels perfectly smooth to me whereas before this patch that wasn't the case.

bongpig

Neo Member
That sucks.

After looking at it a bit longer, I'm actually convinced it's worse. Before it would come in waves. It might play fine for a bit. Even a few minutes. Then it would start skipping like crazy for a minute or so, before settling down again. With the latest patch, it now just gets worse and worse. If I keep it going for 10 minutes or so, its hideous. While the whole time my FPS counter shows a steady 60.

Gibbo

This game is still broken on AMD Drivers. Using a 290x and even on Low, I'm getting horrible frame rates and stutters. What a shitshow this has been

ramshot

To me, it feels like it's once again a little better, but still off. Looking at my task monitor while playing, I notice spikes in the CPU usage. Whenever those spikes occur, the framepacing is off for that moment. When there are no spikes, everything looks and feels great. I'll have to test around with settings and setting an fps limit over the weekend, who knows if those could help now with the latest version.

It's like they are slowly but surely getting there, approaching a well running game. I'm just afraid they'll go "it's good enough" before that and move on.

GTX1080 @ 1050/5500
6700k @ 4.6
16 gigs DDR4/2666
Game on SSD
1440p / gsync
Win10

Regginator

A local webshop here in the Netherlands are selling Dishonored 2 for €20, very tempted to get it. But the recent performance issues have me doubting. I don't want to get burned on it like Arkham Knight, bought it at launch only to be able to play it months later.

I can't read all the comments, but how's the performance on AMD now after several patches? I'm on a i5 4670K (4.0 GHz), R9 280X (stock 1020 MHz) and regular ass 8GB RAM (1600 MHz), what can I reasonably expect on 1080p?

edit:
This game is still broken on AMD Drivers. Using a 290x and even on Low, I'm getting horrible frame rates and stutters. What a shitshow this has been

290X on Low... yeah, I have no business getting this on my 280X then.

giphy.gif

w0s

How does this run on a 980ti? Can I get 1080p 60 without issue? I picked it up for 20 bucks on the dell deal. Was hoping enough patches have come out that at least lets that run fine.

Edit: I should have I have a 6600k @ 4.0 ghz

Paragon

To me, it feels like it's once again a little better, but still off. Looking at my task monitor while playing, I notice spikes in the CPU usage. Whenever those spikes occur, the framepacing is off for that moment. When there are no spikes, everything looks and feels great. I'll have to test around with settings and setting an fps limit over the weekend, who knows if those could help now with the latest version.

It's like they are slowly but surely getting there, approaching a well running game. I'm just afraid they'll go "it's good enough" before that and move on.
Yeah, that's what I've been saying - the "frame pacing" issues are the engine stuttering due to CPU usage.
I guess you're using Ultra texture quality since you have a GTX 1080, however I'm concerned that it's still stuttering on your 6700K at 4.6GHz too.

I was hoping that upgrading to a 7700K (same performance as a 6700K) next month would be enough to handle this.
If you drop the texture resolution down a notch or two, I'm sure it will run smoothly for you, compared to my 2500K @ 4.5 which can't even handle the lowest resolution textures without stuttering in places - though it is mostly smooth at those settings.

However that really makes me think that I should be waiting for Ryzen or building a 6900K system now - assuming that the engine can handle more than 4 cores.
Previous id Tech 5 games were decently multi-threaded, and id Tech 6 is very well multi-threaded, but I don't know about the modifications that Arkane may have made when creating the Void Engine from that id Tech base.

How does this run on a 980ti? Can I get 1080p 60 without issue? I picked it up for 20 bucks on the dell deal. Was hoping enough patches have come out that at least lets that run fine.
Edit: I should have I have a 6600k @ 4.0 ghz
It's your CPU which will affect the smoothness of the game.
The GPU options are sufficient that you shouldn't be bottlenecked with a 980 Ti at all as long as you don't expect to run it at Ultra.
I'd like to think that a 6600K could handle medium/high quality textures, but I couldn't say for sure, since I expected a 6700K at 4.6GHz to handle Ultra.

bongpig

Neo Member
Yeah, that's what I've been saying - the "frame pacing" issues are the engine stuttering due to CPU usage.
I guess you're using Ultra texture quality since you have a GTX 1080, however I'm concerned that it's still stuttering on your 6700K at 4.6GHz too.

I was hoping that upgrading to a 7700K (same performance as a 6700K) next month would be enough to handle this.
If you drop the texture resolution down a notch or two, I'm sure it will run smoothly for you, compared to my 2500K @ 4.5 which can't even handle the lowest resolution textures without stuttering in places - though it is mostly smooth at those settings.

However that really makes me think that I should be waiting for Ryzen or building a 6900K system now - assuming that the engine can handle more than 4 cores.
Previous id Tech 5 games were decently multi-threaded, and id Tech 6 is very well multi-threaded, but I don't know about the modifications that Arkane may have made when creating the Void Engine from that id Tech base.

It's your CPU which will affect the smoothness of the game.
The GPU options are sufficient that you shouldn't be bottlenecked with a 980 Ti at all as long as you don't expect to run it at Ultra.
I'd like to think that a 6600K could handle medium/high quality textures, but I couldn't say for sure, since I expected a 6700K at 4.6GHz to handle Ultra.

I get serious frame pacing issues will *all* options on very low, on my 4670k@4.2. If anything, it gets worse. So Im not sure your texture/CPU theory is correct.

jorimt

I get serious frame pacing issues will *all* options on very low, on my 4670k@4.2. If anything, it gets worse. So Im not sure your texture/CPU theory is correct.

It isn't the CPU, it's the game logic's tick rate, which appears to max out at 60 fps, and is further exacerbated by very poor asset streaming management.

id Tech 5, which the Void engine is (unfortunately) based on, is known for this issue. The fix would have to be on the dev side, and it may never come.

bongpig

Neo Member
It isn't the CPU, it's the game logic's tick rate, which appears to max out at 60 fps, and is further exacerbated by very poor asset streaming management.

id Tech 5, which the Void engine is (unfortunately) based on, is known for this issue. The fix would have to be on the dev side, and it may never come.

I dont think asset management is relevant, at least in my case. I agree that theres something to what you are saying, as the game is extremely stutter-y in the first 10 seconds or so after loading up a game. I can only imagine this would be worse if I progressed through the level quickly. But in my case, im sitting in one spot and going nowhere. Not moving for over 10 minutes is ample time for the engine to load its assets for that particular section of content. But the frame pacing is still rotten.

What is infuriating is the game can straighten right out if I alt-tab out and in again. But this rarely lasts more that 3 or 4 minutes. I've also had it straighten out simply pressing pause and un-pausing again. Having the game play super smooth for a few minutes before the pain returns? Deeply annoying.

None of these symptoms point to a problem with assets. Nor do thay point to a crap engine. They mean shite coders. Period.

Going to run a FPS counter tonight or this weekend to see what I'm getting. I've had absolutely no issues that I've noticed in playing through 7 chapters so far.

i5 @ 4
16gb ram
gsync
1440p, all settings on high

jorimt

I dont think asset management is relevant, at least in my case. I agree that theres something to what you are saying, as the game is extremely stutter-y in the first 10 seconds or so after loading up a game. I can only imagine this would be worse if I progressed through the level quickly. But in my case, im sitting in one spot and going nowhere. Not moving for over 10 minutes is ample time for the engine to load its assets for that particular section of content. But the frame pacing is still rotten.

What is infuriating is the game can straighten right out if I alt-tab out and in again. But this rarely lasts more that 3 or 4 minutes. I've also had it straighten out simply pressing pause and un-pausing again. Having the game play super smooth for a few minutes before the pain returns? Deeply annoying.

None of these symptoms point to a problem with assets. Nor do thay point to a crap engine. They mean shite coders. Period.

Just because you remain immobile for several minutes, does not mean that the entire area is now free of loading in assets. Assets usually stream in by zone (think of areas of the map being broken up into their own small country with borders in between), and when you cross a "border," a new chunk must be loaded in, while the "country" you just left can often be flushed, which will cause it to have to reload when you return.

And again, I said that poor asset loading exacerbated the issue, I didn't say it caused it. As to your point of bad "coders," the issues have to be caused by something in the engine; coders and the engine aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm not speculating about the game logic/tick rate either, I'm letting you know what is literally causing the frame pacing problem. it's a core weakness in the id Tech 5 engine. Period.

ISee

Bought the game today and performance seems to be okish so far. I definitely expected worse on my 1070 at 1440p, but man the game loves to crash.

Paragon

Just because you remain immobile for several minutes, does not mean that the entire area is now free of loading in assets. Assets usually stream in by zone (think of areas of the map being broken up into their own small country with borders in between), and when you cross a "border," a new chunk must be loaded in, while the "country" you just left can often be flushed, which will cause it to have to reload when you return.

And again, I said that poor asset loading exacerbated the issue, I didn't say it caused it. As to your point of bad "coders," the issues have to be caused by something in the engine; coders and the engine aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm not speculating about the game logic/tick rate either, I'm letting you know what is literally causing the frame pacing problem. it's a core weakness in the id Tech 5 engine. Period.
It's difficult for me to say with 100% certainty because my 2500K is holding things back so much.
However it seemed like I was able to get perfect frame pacing when I got on top of the Addermire Institute where there is almost nothing in view, set everything to the lowest possible settings (640x480 even) and let the camera spin around.
However this was not 100% consistent - it would move smoothly for 10-20s then stutter again and get back to moving smoothly.
If it was the engine's tickrate, I would have expected a constant judder - similar to the way that Fallout New Vegas has a 64Hz tickrate and just stutters constantly without the stutter remover mod.
Instead, it seemed to be happening when the camera was pointing in specific directions rather than happening at a fixed interval.
It's not implausible for them to have fixed that when creating the Void Engine - it seems like it was fixed for id Tech 6, and weren't there commands to fix it in the Wolfenstein games?
But as I said, I'm not confident in my results with this 2500K. I would have to test it on a faster system.

And the virtual texturing system in id Tech 5 is constantly streaming in textures as you move around the game world - even just panning the camera.
In spots where my framerate actually drops when using the higher quality textures - such as sprinting through the streets of Karnaca - I can stop moving and after a couple of seconds the framerate shoots up to a solid 60 once all the textures have loaded in.

But maybe both are issues, and even if you have a fast enough system to handle the texture streaming, you will have stutter caused by the engine's tickrate.
You'd think there would be an option to lock the framerate in step with that if it were still the case though.
Wasn't that why the older id Tech 5 games were locked to 60 FPS?

Bought the game today and performance seems to be okish so far. I definitely expected worse on my 1070 at 1440p, but man the game loves to crash.
Try reducing your GPU clockspeed.
Unstable id Tech 5 games typically indicate an unstable GPU overclock - even if it's factory overclocked.

I feel like my computers that I build are just always awesome. I've crashed 0 times on this game and this seems like a trend. The only game I can really remember having issues with was Arkham Knight.

ISee

I feel like my computers that I build are just always awesome. I've crashed 0 times on this game and this seems like a trend. The only game I can really remember having issues with was Arkham Knight.

Try reducing your GPU clockspeed.
Unstable id Tech 5 games typically indicate an unstable GPU overclock - even if it's factory overclocked.

My overclocks are well tested and stable. For whatever reason adaptive resolution was on. Turning it off fixed the crashes...
I'm on the newest beta patch btw.

Paragon

My overclocks are well tested and stable. For whatever reason adaptive resolution was on. Turning it off fixed the crashes...
I'm on the newest beta patch btw.

As I posted before, there's something about id Tech 5 games which makes them the GPU equivalent of AVX2 workloads for Intel CPUs.
What would previously be a "stable overclock" will start crashing due to the type of workload it's placing on the GPU.
Across four different GPUs now, I've had to reduce the clockspeed to prevent id Tech 5 games from crashing.
Doing that fixed them completely and they never crashed again.
Outside of the id Tech 5 games, those GPUs were completely stable, but run anything on id Tech 5 and the game would crash within 10 minutes of launching it.

ISee

As I posted before, there's something about id Tech 5 games which makes them the GPU equivalent of AVX2 workloads for Intel CPUs.
What would previously be a "stable overclock" will start crashing due to the type of workload it's placing on the GPU.
Across four different GPUs now, I've had to reduce the clockspeed to prevent id Tech 5 games from crashing.
Doing that fixed them completely and they never crashed again.
Outside of the id Tech 5 games, those GPUs were completely stable, but run anything on id Tech 5 and the game would crash within 10 minutes of launching it.

I see. I was able to play for about 40 minutes without crashes after turning off adaptive resolution (No idea why it was turned on in the first place tbh). But maybe I was just lucky. If I ran into another crash I'll downclock a bit to test it.

Paragon

I see. I was able to play for about 40 minutes without crashes after turning off adaptive resolution (No idea why it was turned on in the first place tbh). But maybe I was just lucky. If I ran into another crash I'll downclock a bit to test it.
I'm not saying it wasn't the adaptive resolution causing it, perhaps that's what it was for you.
It's just that I've seen crashing problems with the id Tech 5 games which have been caused by GPU clocks being too high so frequently, and I see a lot of people online complaining that the games just crash "for no reason" when everything else runs fine.
It may not always be the cause of a crash, but it's a very common cause in my experience and the first thing I would try when troubleshooting.
There are a lot of problems with id Tech 5, but stability was never one of them for me after I realized that this was an issue and I reduced the GPU clocks accordingly.

How is this game running in 4K? I have a 1080 and want my 4K. I'll take 4K at 30. The first Dishonered made motion sick at 60 so 30 is fine with me.

The Dude

Same, I haven't had an issue since forever... Can't even recall the last game that crashed on me really. My builds are always rock solid, been building since the early 90s by getting parts at Pc shows lol good times

ISee

Game behaves in strange ways. Sometimes GPU load and FPs go down for no apparent reason (at least in my opinion). It's like I'm hitting some sort of bottleneck, but CPU load is low, there is plenty of ram and vram left... It's strange

Example (can also happen during gameplay) GPU load is at 90%, fps are down to 50:

1440p said:

Justinian

No idea what they did in this patch but now the game continually slows down after a couple of minutes until it's utterly unplayable. It became so sluggish I had trouble quitting the game. I guess for the first 2 minutes it ran a bit better than before? It wasn't enough time to tell.

Urthor

He means that you'd be better off imposing a 30fps cap than chasing 60fps.

Personally I don't get much tearing on this game, I get 40ish FPS on 1080p with a 970 so it's neither here nor there whether you actually lock. I'm just saying it's guaranteed the 30fps for that setup, anything more and yeah, not happening really.

bongpig

Neo Member
No idea what they did in this patch but now the game continually slows down after a couple of minutes until it's utterly unplayable. It became so sluggish I had trouble quitting the game. I guess for the first 2 minutes it ran a bit better than before? It wasn't enough time to tell.

Although my symptoms are not the same as yours, ive noticed a similar pattern since the latest patch. A steady degradation of stutter that continues to get worse till it's totally unbearable. Before the latest patch, the frame pacing would be up and down. Now its just down.

I swore to myself last night I would give up, uninstall, and forget about this game. But here I am, still coming here in the hope somebody has something that helps. I'm completely in the mood for a stylised adventure type romp - and DH2 fits the bill perfectly. I soooooo want to play it. But now so frustrated with it, I dont think I will enjoy it even if it is fixed. I'll be playing with an overly critical eye because its cost me so much wasted time and annoyance already.

brau

Also, the biggest problem in the game is not the framerate as such, but frame pacing.

This frame pacing is driving me bananas. haha... when its smooth the game is just amazing. But then come the random dip in FPS, and the constant FPS when i pan, it really takes me out of the game.

Top Bottom