• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 PC performance thread

The visuals in the first crysis are 10 times superior to what we get in Dishonored 2 even tho it was released in 2007, so... it's kinda justified you kno ?

What has Dishonored 2 to offer in terms of graphic fidelity ? Nothing, besides beautifully painted textures that honestly dont look that good up close at all even on Ultra, so ...

Please go play Crysis again.

Paragon

lmao
You cant even hold a steady 60 @ 1080p with that gpu
Game is fucked up
It's not the GPU, it's your CPU.
With my 4.5GHz 2500K + GTX 1070, I get an almost completely locked 1440p60 if I use the "auto" preset and then manually turn down the texture detail and shadow quality settings to "very low".
If I even turn the texture quality up to "low" the game starts to stutter badly again.
Make sure you also have the game in Borderless Full Screen mode, and Triple Buffering is off.

b0se

Banned
It still looks good today (played it recently) but DH2 is the better game in terms of visual design and tech despite the issues sadly plaguing the engine used. When it's playable downsampled with improved IQ at some point in the future it will be a treat.

Id like to see this game "remastered" in a few years on id tech 6

Really wish there was a demo for this title. I'm running 6700k/1080FE/16GBs and browsing the last couple pages seems like 1080/60 is only possible with some compromises? Kind of bummed, it's $20 at dell.com right now....

b0se

Banned
Really wish there was a demo for this title. I'm running 6700k/1080FE/16GBs and browsing the last couple pages seems like 1080/60 is only possible with some compromises? Kind of bummed, it's $20 at dell.com right now....

With that kind of rig you're good to go @ 1080p, but anything above will cause the fps to fluctuate like crazy.

Theres a video on youtube where a guy runs the game in the lowest possible rez, 640x480, and the game still lags, gtx 970

Vitor711

It's not the GPU, it's your CPU.
With my 4.5GHz 2500K + GTX 1070, I get an almost completely locked 1440p60 if I use the "auto" preset and then manually turn down the texture detail and shadow quality settings to "very low".
If I even turn the texture quality up to "low" the game starts to stutter badly again.
Make sure you also have the game in Borderless Full Screen mode, and Triple Buffering is off.

That's borderline unacceptable for a modern PC game. Textures should be taxing the VRAM, not CPU.

Only other game I've seen do this was Gears 4 with the 'Insane' texture setting that required a minimum of an i7 in order to provide a smooth experience when transitioning through areas.

Paragon

That's borderline unacceptable for a modern PC game. Textures should be taxing the VRAM, not CPU.
Only other game I've seen do this was Gears 4 with the 'Insane' texture setting that required a minimum of an i7 in order to provide a smooth experience when transitioning through areas.
All id Tech 5 games are like this, Dishonored 2 just seems to be particularly demanding - possibly because the environments are more open than most other games on the same engine.
The way id Tech 5 does virtual texturing means that it requires a really fast CPU to handle texture decoding.

Other games on the same engine often had a lot of virtual texturing settings to let you tune this, but Dishonored 2 doesn't seem to have any user-facing options.
I'm thinking they may have combined them with the "texture quality" option, which is why I can't use anything higher than the "very low" setting.

Just look at how many options Wolfenstein: The Old Blood had for virtual texturing.
On my PC, I had to reduce the "Max PPF" setting to its lowest value to prevent the game from stuttering all the time.
It means that texture pop-in is far more common when you move the camera quickly, but at least it wasn't stuttering.

I can't be certain that this is the cause of the problems with Dishonored 2 since they're using a modified version of the engine, but it would be my best guess since lowering the texture quality fixes the stuttering for me.
Has anyone found a way to enable the console in the game yet?
That would help a lot when trying to figure this out and see if there's anything which can be done to tweak the game to run better on older CPUs beside lowering the texture quality.

Theres a video on youtube where a guy runs the game in the lowest possible rez, 640x480, and the game still lags, gtx 970
Because the stuttering problems are CPU-related, not GPU-related.

bongpig

Neo Member

Not necessarily. The frame pacing issues affect both 30 and 60 for me. I'm on a 1060/4670k@4.2. And even running on low settings at 720, I cant get a solid lock onto any framerate. Even if my FPS without vsync is 100+.

PC specs are not indicative of whether or not you might experience the frame pacing issues.

My advice to anybody is to buy it directly from steam first. The issues, if you have them, are plain as day within minutes of play. If your framerates are solid yet the game still stutters? Refund. Dont be an idiot like me and waste more than 2 hours trying to fix it. There is no solution at this stage. Get you money back or shelf it till the next patch comes out, if it ever does. If that doesn't fix the issue, it never will be fixed.

Paragon

I just want the game to not crash whe I want to play in fullscreen mode Is that too much to ask?
If an id Tech 5 game is crashing, it usually means that your GPU has an unstable overclock.
The way those games stress the GPU seems to be different from other engines, so what might appear to be stable in other games is not stable with them. Many people blame the games for this rather than their system.
It's similar to the way that Intel CPUs may appear to be stable at a certain overclock but then you give them an AVX workload and the system will crash every time.
Drop your GPU clockspeed enough and you should find that the game stops crashing. With Maxwell cards I typically had to drop the overclock by 50-100MHz from what was "stable" in other games.

banjoted

I didn't realise so many people were still struggling with this. Bummer.

I bought it on a whim and largely oblivious to the problems. Runs nice and smooth at 1440p unlocked with no obvious problems that I can recall. I have a 1070 and 3700k and a Gsync monitor, so no v-sync for me. Wasn't framecounting but it felt 60fps.

Ninjatogo

Officially the beta is for the New Game + mode, but don't know if there are any other fixes built into that.

There's a news article on VG24/7 on the update. Seems they focused on gameplay fixes with this patch.

GAME UPDATE 1 RELEASE NOTES

New Features

• New Game Plus mode!
  • New Quick-Access Wheel option for hiding/unhiding items
  • Improved Features

• Fixed Oraculum false-kill count in Royal Conservatory
  • AI detection tweaks to clarify when players are detected or not
  • AI locomotion improvement for running
  • Fixed various Bonecharm effects (Strong Arm, Spiritual Pool, etc)
  • Fixed a problem in slow-motion where some inputs were ignored
  • Blood Thirst: various enhancement and fixes
  • Killing an NPC with their own bullet is now more reliable
  • Tweak for mana potion refill speed, depending on difficulty
  • General performance and optimization improvements
  • Fixed various game logic issues
  • Fixed various User Interface issues

VAD

If an id Tech 5 game is crashing, it usually means that your GPU has an unstable overclock.
The way those games stress the GPU seems to be different from other engines, so what might appear to be stable in other games is not stable with them. Many people blame the games for this rather than their system.
It's similar to the way that Intel CPUs may appear to be stable at a certain overclock but then you give them an AVX workload and the system will crash every time.
Drop your GPU clockspeed enough and you should find that the game stops crashing. With Maxwell cards I typically had to drop the overclock by 50-100MHz from what was "stable" in other games.
The game works in fullscreen when I press Alt-Enter in borderless mode but doesn't even load when I change to fullscreen via the options menu. My 970 isn't even overclocked.

Wait, what?

Is THAT why the game would stutter like mad for me in between encounters? God dammit.

b0se

Banned
Just did a test here, not a single fps increase, same fucking shit

giphy.gif

It's a disaster, laughable actually

Ninjatogo

Fingers crossed that it's the same for everyone.

Just finished updating drivers and game. Tested it, and it's fantastic! It's actually running at a decent level of performance now. Like you said earlier it's now as smooth as Dishonored 1.

Specs for my system are i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, GTX 970M.
Very High preset with HBAO+ and disabled adaptive resolution at 1080P - ~40 - 60fps

After lowering the resolution to 1600 x 900 I get ~ 50 - 60 FPS.

Forgot to mention, stuttering issue is gone now, but long start-up load times are still here.

I'm pretty happy with this update.

b0se

Banned
PC gaming in a nutshell. =\

I recorded a video with the previous patch and then I used the exact location while facing the same direction and recorded the same video which was basically walking forward for 5 seconds, as I said, no increase at all :(

I recorded a video with the previous patch and then I used the exact location while facing the same direction and recorded the same video which was basically walking forward for 5 seconds, as I said, no increase at all :(

I wasn't doubting you. Just pointing out how wildly performance always varies for people depending on hardware and setup.

VAD

Frame pacing is resolved?
I could not say exactly but the 10 minutes I played felt like the previous Dishonored. They also fixed the annoying "press entrer to load". The only thing that I'm sure of is that I'm enjoying visiting the Addermire Institute.
I'm using a i5 750@4.0Ghz, 16 GB ram and a 970 with all options activated and the others at medium in 1080p.

brau

I could not say exactly but the 10 minutes I played felt like the previous Dishonored. They also fixed the annoying "press entrer to load". The only thing that I'm sure of is that I'm enjoying visiting the Addermire Institute.

I'll give this a spin tonight. It would be nice to see the frame pacing issues resolved.

Paragon

PC gaming in a nutshell. =\
I don't really agree with that.
It implies that PC game performance is inherently inconsistent/unreliable.
As always, I would say that the difference is perception, not performance.
What I consider to be smooth performance (V-Synced and never dropping a frame below 60) is definitely not what many PC gamers consider to be "smooth performance".

For example:
Just finished updating drivers and game. Tested it, and it's fantastic! It's actually running at a decent level of performance now. Like you said earlier it's now as smooth as Dishonored 1.
Specs for my system are i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, GTX 970M.
Very High preset with HBAO+ and disabled adaptive resolution at 1080P - ~40 - 60fps
After lowering the resolution to 1600 x 900 I get ~ 50 - 60 FPS.
The highlighted sections all contradict.
I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember the original Dishonored never dropping below 60 FPS on my old GTX 570 at 1080p, without any frame pacing/stutter issues.
It definitely was not "~40 - 60fps" and I would not call that "fantastic" performance.

Since their framerate is below 60 FPS and performance goes up when they drop the resolution, it means that they're being GPU-limited in this test before they are CPU-limited.
You have to eliminate the GPU bottleneck before you will see performance issues caused by the CPU.

If they're happy with how it's running now, that's fine.
But it has not been fixed at all, and I don't believe that some of these issues are things which can be "fixed" - the problem is that it's a CPU-heavy game and old CPUs just cannot handle it.
I will say that it does seem somewhat improved with this patch once you've been through an area.
In Karnaca, it seems to be using around 3.8GB of VRAM at 1080p on very low texture quality settings now, when it was previously using about 2.8GB of VRAM.
So they seem to be caching more in memory, but that doesn't prevent the game from stuttering when it loads things in the first time.

brau

What I consider to be smooth performance (V-Synced and never dropping a frame below 60) is definitely not what many PC gamers consider to be "smooth performance".

For example:
I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember the original Dishonored never dropping below 60 FPS on my old GTX 570 at 1080p, without any frame pacing/stutter issues.
It definitely was not "~40 - 60fps" and I would not call that "fantastic" performance.

Since their framerate is below 60 FPS and performance goes up when they drop the resolution, it means that they're being GPU-limited in this test before they are CPU-limited.
You have to eliminate the GPU bottleneck before you will see performance issues caused by the CPU.

But it has not been fixed at all, and I don't believe that some of these issues are things which can be "fixed" - the problem is that it's a CPU-heavy game and old CPUs just cannot handle it.
I will say that it does seem somewhat improved with this patch once you've been through an area.
In Karnaca, it seems to be using around 3.8GB of VRAM at 1080p on very low texture quality settings now, when it was previously using about 2.8GB of VRAM.
So they seem to be caching more in memory, but that doesn't prevent the game from stuttering when it loads things in the first time.

Good post.

I am always a bit baffled at the claims that the game runs perfectly fine within a range of FPS drops and some stutter.

I guess in some games it works better than others. Console tends to come to mind. But for FPS i always stand by locked 60fps with zero dips. Doom was a perfect example on how to do it right. Obviously different tech.

For example:

Even if it's a case of differing perceptions of what's acceptable my comment about "PC gaming in a nutshell" still stands...You seem to have taken my comment as being some sort of defense of the game and Arkane? Not sure how exactly you got that.

Good post.

I am always a bit baffled at the claims that the game runs perfectly fine within a range of FPS drops and some stutter.

I guess in some games it works better than others. Console tends to come to mind. But for FPS i always stand by locked 60fps with zero dips. Doom was a perfect example on how to do it right. Obviously different tech.

For me, my framerate issues were minimized after the first patch and went completely away after the second patch.

What didn't go away was the stutter that would occur even with a locked 60 fps, 16.6 ms frametime. Someone on a previous page posted a video from Evil Within doing the same thing. Statistics look perfect but there visible hitching where there shouldn't be.

This is the first patch that corrected that issue for me.

brau

For me, my framerate issues were minimized after the first patch and went completely away after the second patch.

What didn't go away was the stutter that would occur even with a locked 60 fps, 16.6 ms frametime. Someone on a previous page posted a video from Evil Within doing the same thing. Statistics look perfect but there visible hitching where there shouldn't be.

This is the first patch that corrected that issue for me.

This is what i have. I thought this was the frame pacing issue, that even when you have a good fps locked it feels like a stutter.

GavinUK86

Still stuttering for me on an i7 2600k and a GTX 970. Nothing's really changed with this new patch. It's playable, but far from perfect.

The frame pacing is still messed up though, which is my biggest problem.

Yea. the stutter in that video when running around and panning is very evident. o_O

I don't have a high framerate monitor or G-Sync so maybe I don't understand how it works at high framerates but shouldn't that be expected with V-Sync disabled? Constantly fluctuating framerates are going to create constantly changing frametimes, no?

Top Bottom