• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 PC performance thread

Flandy

When is the game supposed to start running terribly?
Running at 1620p60 on Chapter 2 with the auto detected settings which were Very High/Ultra
i7 2600k @ 4.3Ghz, 16GB 2133Mhz DDR3 RAM, GTX 1080, 850 Evo SSD

ramshot

When is the game supposed to start running terribly?
Running at 1620p60 on Chapter 2 with the auto detected settings which were Very High/Ultra
i7 2600k @ 4.3Ghz, 16GB 2133Mhz DDR3 RAM, GTX 1080, 850 Evo SSD

If the framepacing issues don't bother you, you might not have an issue at all. Or then they've managed to fix the pacing issues for some setups entirely, hard to say. I've yet to see system that runs it with good frame pacing though, or a video of a system doing so.

I've talked to a couple of people who didn't notice anything was off (with the latest version), even though the framepacing issues were there. It's kind of a "when you see it..." thing. Drives me nuts, but clearly not everyone.

Either way, if you're finding it enjoyable, good for you! I'm still waiting for a patch to make it smooth.

Sickbean

Christ.

How can a PC gaming outlet reward such a piece of shit game?

I'm sure the actual game is great, but since most people can't play it, does that really matter? No...

Most people can play it, stop exaggerating.

A thread like this is not a balanced representation- naturally more people with problems will be posting.

Sickbean

PCG reviewer played AK with GTX970 and heavily docked the score for performance issues. Reviewer played D2 with GTX1070 and GOTY. ☺

I'm playing it with a 1070 and it's edged DOOM as my GOTY, despite the fact that DOOM runs much better (perfectly in fact).

Urthor

PCG reviewer played AK with GTX970 and heavily docked the score for performance issues. Reviewer played D2 with GTX1070 and GOTY. ☺

Watch them claim, repeatedly, in the comments of that article that the performance issues are fixed. Watch them.

Denzar

"most" PC gamers don't have 1070/1080s which seems to be what's needed for this to not run like utter dogshit.

Breaks my heart. Was really looking forward to this game. ID Tech 5 is probably the cause, right?

I ran Wolfie: TNO on my old GTX 660 pretty flawlessly so it's kinda hard to fathom that this game will runs like arse on my current rig (GTX970).

Guess I'll play the PS4 version once I pick up my PS4 Pro...

Breaks my heart. Was really looking forward to this game. ID Tech 5 is probably the cause, right?

I ran Wolfie: TNO on my old GTX 660 pretty flawlessly so it's kinda hard to fathom that this game will runs like arse on my current rig (GTX970).

Guess I'll play the PS4 version once I pick up my PS4 Pro...
Runs like shit on my 290x/4690k @ 4.4ghz on MEDIUM.

Utter joke mate.

Sickbean

The framepacing issues affect everyone.

Which I agree with. The comment I took issue with was 'most people can't play it', which is clearly hyperbole.

Framepacing for me is no worse than Bloodborne, another game where the quality outshines the technical limitations.

fantomena

Well Im playing in Karnaca and I have no performance problems. Even when turning VSYNC off I have stable 120 FPS everywhere.

Might just be lucky.

Vitor711

If the framepacing issues don't bother you, you might not have an issue at all. Or then they've managed to fix the pacing issues for some setups entirely, hard to say. I've yet to see system that runs it with good frame pacing though, or a video of a system doing so.

I've talked to a couple of people who didn't notice anything was off (with the latest version), even though the framepacing issues were there. It's kind of a "when you see it..." thing. Drives me nuts, but clearly not everyone.

Either way, if you're finding it enjoyable, good for you! I'm still waiting for a patch to make it smooth.

Latest patches have massively improved performance stability on my 1080. That being said, the frame pacing stuff persists but it does seem better. Or maybe that's just because it's less of an issue at 90+ FPS?

Some areas still drop down to the 60s though (clockwork mansion) maxed out at 1440p.

brau

Its one thing for people to say "I don't notice the frame pacing issues, and the variable FPS doesn't bother me" than "I get flawless performance" when obviously its not flawless.

The game has issues, mostly is the engine and it has been discussed as to why.

At this point i don't think any of these will get resolved.

Latest patches have massively improved performance stability on my 1080. That being said, the frame pacing stuff persists but it does seem better. Or maybe that's just because it's less of an issue at 90+ FPS?

Some areas still drop down to the 60s though (clockwork mansion) maxed out at 1440p.

I get drops at 1080p!!! its not solid. also with shadows to high, and water to medium settings. :( the rest on ultra. Even if i lower say the textures, the performance will still vary. Its something else.

FaintDeftone

So I take it that this game still runs like ass on a 970? Shame, because I still haven't purchased this game and I really want to. What I played of it on PS4 was pretty poor with framerate and input response times so I would much rather play this on PC. I'm not going to upgrade my video card right now just for one game.

WhiteWolf

Has Arkane stated anything along the lines about if they plan on continuing to make performance patches? Seems like it's going to take many months to get this to an acceptable state à la Arkham Knight.

Vlaphor

I stopped playing this game on PC due to how juttery it felt. I have several other games right now, I can wait on this one.

Framepacing problems are a much bigger issue for me in first person games than 3rd. I could stomach it in Bloodborne, but not D2. I'm running a 3570k @ 4.6ghz and 980ti sli, and nothing fixes it. Not dropping all settings to low, lowering the resolution, disabling one GPU, frame capping, using driver vsync, etc. I honestly can't play the game unless this gets fixed.

Game is now playable for me at 1440p high/very high with no vsync, motion blur or dynamic resolution.

Seeing an avg of 70-80 fps. Can't say I have noticed anything below it while playing. I am at chapter 3 I think in the institute. No noticeable jutter for me.

ISee

It does make the game look a lot worse for me, I don't know if it also improves performance vs msaa.

TAA tends to make the game look slightly more blurry, especially at 1080p, but it is able to eliminate edges and the usual shimmering pretty good in most games and is worth it (imo).
Most games also offer sharpening solutions which are able to eliminate some TAA sideeffects when applied carefully (aka not the deus ex way).
TAA also seems to profit a lot from higher resolutions. I switched from a 1080p to a 1440p display and games that looked blurry while using TAA look a lot better now.
Overall for what it does it is very performance friendly and something more devs should start to implement.

epmode

Framepacing problems are a much bigger issue for me in first person games than 3rd. I could stomach it in Bloodborne, but not D2. I'm running a 3570k @ 4.6ghz and 980ti sli, and nothing fixes it.

I've found that the game performs noticeably better for me if I use the frame limiter and keep it locked at 60FPS. The instant it drops to 59 FPS, I see stuttering/judder. This shouldn't happen with G-Sync. 59 and 60 FPS should be virtually indistinguishable, but I can tell right away.

brau

My friend has similar issues with framepacing and got a response from Harvey Smith, which seems to indicate they are unaware of the issue.

haha. love the reply.

I guess this means that we won't get any further support on this. Thats too bad.

Cels

4690k @4.5ghz, gtx 1070
all ultra, 1080p, no vsync, capped to 60fps

i get 60fps with tearing but it doesn't feel right, feels very stuttery. must be the framepacing. not ideal but even if i lower to high or medium the issues remain.

brau

4690k @4.5ghz, gtx 1070

i get 60fps with tearing but it doesn't feel right, feels very stuttery. must be the framepacing. not ideal but even if i lower to high or medium the issues remain.

Frame pacing issues alright. This is the thing that we have been complaining about here. Some people are a bit more sensitive to it. Its not a smooth experience, even when we have a lock at a high FPS.

4690k @4.5ghz, gtx 1070

Disappointing to hear framepacing is still an issue. I have been holding off on this game as I am very sensitive to framepacing and put FFXV aside because of it.

I do have a gsync monitor though I wonder if that will help with any issues.

SimplexPL

Maybe someone with a high-end PC could record gameplay that shows framepacing issues and try to convince Harvey Smith that the problem is real? He seems to be quite responsive on twitter, so there's hope.

Maybe someone with a high-end PC could record gameplay that shows framepacing issues and try to convince Harvey Smith that the problem is real? He seems to be quite responsive on twitter, so there's hope.

TBH stuff like that should be sent to the Bethesda support team who can send it through the proper channels. Harvey is the creative director and as such has really nothing to do with technical stuff...I realize that people worry that support requests with that info might just be ignored, but if that's the case bugging Harvey on Twitter likely wouldn't make much of a difference either.

My friend has similar issues with framepacing and got a response from Harvey Smith, which seems to indicate they are unaware of the issue.
Game developers never, ever admit their game performs badly. Ever. They always act shocked, like it's the first time they've heard the complaint. It's pretty obnoxious.

i5 6500 Sky-OC'd to 4.3 ghz, GTX 1070 with a +100/400 core/memory overclock.
1080p, all Ultra except Shadows - Very High and Environment - High, TXAA, G-Sync 144hz.
Stays above 70 fps at worst, normally between 90-110. Not really noticing stuttering.
Also I can't really tell a difference between the Ultra presets of the two settings I turned down and their current settings.

Are we still holding out hope that this garbage will ever get fixed on the PC? the fact the media is not even talking about what a piece of shit the port is (afaik) is a joke

whats their point even? To shovel more shit down our throats we're supposed to buy next payday? Fuck off

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are we still holding out hope that this garbage will ever get fixed on the PC? the fact the media is not even talking about what a piece of shit the port is (afaik) is a joke

whats their point even? To shovel more shit down our throats we're supposed to buy next payday? Fuck off

There is another patch in the works, but as always it's impossible to infer an ETA.

TheRed

PC GOTY Woo!

SandTorso

For what it's worth, a gtx 670 4gb paired with a 6700k nets me a solid 30 to 45fps on low. It kinda looks like like the original game. I forgot how ugly 30fps was though, especially when it comes to mouse control.

I knew it would run like shit, but for $20 from Dell I took a risk

Tankshell

Anybody else getting any odd shadow striping effect on NPCs and other objects? I noticed it quite clearly on the start of Mission 5? (
the one after Clockwork Mansion when you meet Sokolov onboard your boat
, but have noticed it in other places too.

selfnoise

I see circular shadow stripes on NPC heads (hair) like The Outsider. Running on a 1060.

I have basically just made my peace with the fact that this game runs like garbage. I got it for $20 and the gameplay is stellar, so whatever. FWIW it certainly runs vastly better than at launch, but I still get between 25-60 fps depending on scene and regardless of changing graphical settings.

BraXzy

Damn, was hoping the bump was due to a new patch.

After shelving the game at launch because of issues, with the updates and picking up a more powerful rig since then, I've started it back up. It's definitely better than it was at launch but it still just does not feel smooth, and the dips are crazy.

Top Bottom