• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 PC performance thread

Duxxy3

Damn... I liked what I played of the game, but performance is pretty bad. 980 ti and i5 6500.

Oh well, the demo saved me $30.

Paragon

Is this shit actually playable on PC?
I downloaded the demo, start a new campaign, watch the intro cinematic then once it switches to scene where Emily receives the signet... the music suddenly stops, the voices are delayed(or the subtitles are ahead idk), then once the door opens, it just CTD's.
I've tried to skip the scene but it just goes into a black screen with footsteps looping until you hit the escape key sending it back to the desktop.
I really want to play this game tbh but if the PC port is like this, I don't even think I wanna touch the XBone version even if it works better... maybe when it's $10 bucks or something.
It's seriously disappointing considering that I really loved the 1st one.
CTDs in id Tech games often indicate an unstable GPU. (usually overclocked)
That sounds like it could be something else though. Have you tried verifying the game files in Steam?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The prologue mission isn't really representative I'd say. But in the 2nd mission there is a vista not far in that is as demanding as anything else in the game in my experience. If you are fine there then you will probly be fine for everything else.

I dont have the game but the general concensus was that it gets a lot worse once you hit the open outdoors level
Okay then, I'll try to get to the more open areas and see how's the performance.

Zeneric

yea i checked out the demo too. the performance was terrible. fps wasn't consistent, even on lowest quality settings. really really hate unstable fps. i was hoping cuz i enjoyed the first game a lot. too bad.

Sotha_Sil

Downloaded the demo and ran through the tutorial and 1st level just short of the docks.

I started out with the medium presets, boosted a few items up to high,turned on a few settings not activated under medium, and dynamic resolution as 'balanced'. Running with a 6600k, 480 4gb, 16 gb ram. No overclocks.

I was pleasantly surprised. A couple resolution drops were noticeable when standing still or lightly looking around. In motion, I couldn't discern them. A worthwhile sacrifice overall for what felt like a smooth 60fps. I'll check and see how the next two levels are before pulling the trigger. Overall, the game looked fine.

As expected, the actual game/level design was excellent, but thats another post for another thread.

J_Viper

Anyone here got this to run correctly with Windowed Borderless?

My task bar still shows up when the app is activated.

EDIT: Nevermind

Spartix

So after playing the demo with my current rig on a mix of very high-high settings I seem get a constant 60 in the demo levels. Now does this get worse as the game progresses? I am just curious because I am about to buy it.

My specs are GTX 970, I7 4770k, 16GB DDR4 RAM on Win 10

So after playing the demo with my current rig on a mix of very high-high settings I seem get a constant 60 in the demo levels. Now does this get worse as the game progresses? I am just curious because I am about to buy it.

My specs are GTX 970, I7 4770k, 16GB DDR4 RAM on Win 10

The large open area in the 2nd level (edge of the world) for me was about as taxing as it got. If you are ok with that then you should be good for the rest of the game.

Had a go on the demo. Pretty confident I can hit 50fps throughout the game at Ultra and 4K (on a 1080ti). However there is a constant judder that is very apparent. It's as if I have dodgy frame timing but I don't. The worst it gets is around 20ms. No it's like I'm missing a frame whenever I turn. If I turn very slowly it's fine. If I move normally it's there. Unfortunately it really gets in the way of enjoying the game so I won't be buying it. Shame as it looked and played quite nice.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Is there a fix for the loading times? ANYTHING AT ALL?

I "played" for 60 minutes and I shit you not I spent at least 40 minutes staring at a loading screen. I only moved maybe 10 meters, I'm right outside the tower after escaping with Emily.

The game is on an SSD, and even games like The Witcher 3 take 10 seconds to load.
I'm at a loss of words I swear.

Edit: I locked the framerate to 30fps, is that a problem?

Is there a fix for the loading times? ANYTHING AT ALL?

I "played" for 60 minutes and I shit you not I spent at least 40 minutes staring at a loading screen. I only moved maybe 10 meters, I'm right outside the tower after escaping with Emily.

The game is on an SSD, and even games like The Witcher 3 take 10 seconds to load.
I'm at a loss of words I swear.

Edit: I locked the framerate to 30fps, is that a problem?

There was definitely a bug that increased loading times when you locked the game to 30 fps but I thought that had been fixed by now. Did they really not fix this yet? Try unlocking the framerate and see what happens.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
There was definitely a bug that increased loading times when you locked the game to 30 fps but I thought that had been fixed by now. Did they really not fix this yet? Try unlocking the framerate and see what happens.

Jesus I can't believe it. I disabled rivatuner's framerate limiter and now the loading times are super fast.

What they do is just disable vsync and ingame framerate limiters while loading, so the framerate shoots up to 200fps and the loading is quick. Locking it to 30 externally slows it down to a crawl. Incredible.

Had a go on the demo. Pretty confident I can hit 50fps throughout the game at Ultra and 4K (on a 1080ti). However there is a constant judder that is very apparent. It's as if I have dodgy frame timing but I don't. The worst it gets is around 20ms. No it's like I'm missing a frame whenever I turn. If I turn very slowly it's fine. If I move normally it's there. Unfortunately it really gets in the way of enjoying the game so I won't be buying it. Shame as it looked and played quite nice.
Ya, I still haven't loaded up this game after installing my 1080Ti, afraid of seeing that judder and feeling depressed that splurging on hardware still can't get me the performance I wanted =/

Paragon

Ya, I still haven't loaded up this game after installing my 1080Ti, afraid of seeing that judder and feeling depressed that splurging on hardware still can't get me the performance I wanted =/
It's the engine and not your hardware.
I've done extensive testing now and there is actually something broken with the frame delivery.
It is possible to get the game running absolutely perfectly smooth.
If you enable the 60 FPS framerate limiter and toggle fullscreen/borderless mode a few times, sometimes the game ends up in a state where it will run flawlessly - at least on a G-Sync monitor.
This only lasts up to 60 seconds though. I can stay in the same area and only strafe back and forth, and after a short time it begins to stutter again.

Unfortunately that means it's not a matter of brute-forcing the game to run well; something timing-related in the engine appears to be broken.
I've seen this happen in one or two other games when you unlock the framerate too. The framerate is high but the frame delivery is broken.
The fix for those games was to re-enable the built-in framerate limiter instead of unlocking it. That doesn't work for Dishonored 2.
It's also not an issue with other id Tech 5 games. This problem is specific to whatever Arkane did to make it the "Void Engine".

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Demo seems to run fine at 4K 30fps. Is that indicative of the whole game's performance?

If the Karnaca Docks level runs acceptably well, then you should be fine, with the possible exception of the Clockwork Mansion.

Demo seems to run fine at 4K 30fps. Is that indicative of the whole game's performance?

The worst performing sections i came across in game were:

The first wall of light in Dunwall
Karnacka Docks
The clockwork mansion
When using the special item in 'A crack in the slab'

I just finished the game. I played it downsampled at 1440p, and ultra settings. It generally hovered around 30-40fps. The crack in the slab special item brough it down to low 20's, even high teens at times tho, it was shockingly bad.
Im on a 970, 16gb ram, and i7 4770k. Im now on a new game as Emily, i set it to 1080p ultra, and its about 50-60fps so far in Karnacka, but worse IQ because of no downsampling.

JaseC

The worst performing sections i came across in game were:

The first wall of light in Dunwall
Karnacka Docks
The clockwork mansion
When using the special item in 'A crack in the slab'

I just finished the game. I played it downsampled at 1440p, and ultra settings. It generally hovered around 30-40fps. The crack in the slab special item brough it down to low 20's, even high teens at times tho, it was shockingly bad.
Im on a 970, 16gb ram, and i7 4770k. Im now on a new game as Emily, i set it to 1080p ultra, and its about 50-60fps so far in Karnacka, but worse IQ because of no downsampling.

The sudden drops were likely VRAM-related:

d2_vram.png

Additionally, GameGPU's benchmarks align with your experience:

d2_2560.png

The 970 just doesn't have the headroom for 1440p + Ultra, in terms of both VRAM and rendering power.

selfnoise

I have a 6gb 1060 and the worst bits for me were Karnaca Docks and parts of the Royal Conservatory. Other than that it was mostly fine, at least post patch. I took the stealthiest approach to the Clockwork Mansion and I wonder if that mitigated it a little bit.

If you do play it make sure to try and turn up the TAA sharpness. I found the default setting far too soft.

I've been replaying a little D2 since beating Prey, and the Model Details and Environment Details graphics settings seem to have a major impact on performance, especially if your CPU is older. Cranking these up meant wild fluctuations in FPS (sometimes as much as 30 FPS) depending on where the camera was pointed. Dialing them down a bit makes for a much more consistent experience.

SimplexPL

SimplexPL

SimplexPL

It works, but it does not work if you click the link (maybe some issue with the referrer). I was able to download the beta 9 by first visiting guru3d main page and then pasting the link directly into the address bar. Thanks again.

CHC

There's a new patch that seemingly just came out on Steam. No details, just "various optimizations." Anyone try it?

Personally I have been absolutely fine with the performance of the game since the earlier waves of updates, runs fine on a 1070 with a non-deal-breaking dip here and there.

Paragon

Unfortunately since they took the patch out of beta, I've not been able to compare the pre/post patch results directly, and it was some time ago now that I last tried playing the game.
Couldn't figure out how to downgrade to the previous version for comparison.

Improved but not fixed is what I would say.

The most important change that I've seen, is that it seems like they may have fixed the microstutter/frame-pacing issues now - so long as you set the in-game framerate limiter to 60 FPS.
But that only applies to 60 FPS. Even though I'm using a G-Sync display, if I change the framerate limiter to anything else - whether that's ≤45 FPS or ≥75 FPS, I get very bad microstutter/frame pacing again.
Performance has been so inconsistent with this game, I'm hesitant to say that the 60 FPS option is fixed unless other people can confirm this behavior.

It still has the problem of significant CPU usage on one main thread while average CPU usage remains low. Highest I saw was 25% average on an R7-1700X.
It's disappointing, because id Tech 5 games all scaled very well when you gave them more CPU cores/threads to work with.

Anything above "high" texture quality still stutters very badly.
I don't know if that's the CPU or my GTX 1070 only having 8GB VRAM.

Texture streaming also seems really slow now. Again: without being able to compare pre/post patch, I can't say if that's something new or just something I'm noticing now.
When I load a save, it takes 5-10 seconds for the full resolution textures to stream in now, and that's on "high" quality not "very high" or "ultra".
It's possible that they may have done this intentionally as a way of limiting the CPU usage to minimize stuttering, but that's purely speculation since I cannot do a direct comparison.

GPU requirements are still steep. My GTX 1070 is struggling with this at 3440x1440 native without turning all the settings down.
I at least have hope that this might be able to run smoothly as long as you have fast enough hardware now though, since the microstutter seems to have been fixed when running at 60 FPS.

Hopefully they will also update the demo so that people can see how it's running with the latest patch.

JaseC

- Open Steam's developer console
- Input download_depot 403640 531614 7899489383961566566 and wait for the console to report that the download is complete
- Navigate to SteamApps\content\app_403640\depot_531614 and move the files to the installation directory

JaseC

I dont know about all the problems people been having. I had a smooth experience with a 980ti also at 1440p when it came out.

As was and perhaps still is the case with Rage, it's very much luck of the draw as to whether the game will play nicely with your system. I had no trouble, either, but there are definitely some fundamental flaws considering how widespread the issues are.

burgerdog

Getting a stutter free 60fps whenever my lowly 970 can hold that framerate(pretty much just small interiors.) I am seeing textures load a bit slower as someone already mentioned but so far only when loading. AF is exactly, maybe because I just run it at driver level. I never bother with in game AF settings.

Paragon

- Navigate SteamApps\content\app_403640\depot_531614 and move the files to the installation directory
Ah, that's the part I had overlooked.

Okay, swapping back and forth between the previous version and the current one, it does seem like the microstutter/frame-pacing issues have been resolved if you are using the 60 FPS framerate limiter - at least on a G-Sync display.
The previous version is much worse.

I can also confirm that the texture streaming is much slower now.
It takes ~4 seconds after quickloading for VRAM to settle in the previous version (everything loaded in) and ~18 seconds now - with noticeable texture quality changes.

In the previous version, it basically doesn't happen:

It looks like the limited texture filtering quality was not something new to this version, but something I had not really paid attention to before.
LOD does not actually seem to be any worse than before either - but still quite noticeable.
I think you may have to load again or restart the game for some of the LOD-related changes to take effect, which is why it appeared to be worse.

What do you mean "only"?
Well a 1080 Ti has 11GB, and a Titan has 12GB.
At very high or ultra texture quality, practically all 8GB is being filled - so I can't say if VRAM is the cause of the stuttering, or if it's CPU-related.

Getting a stutter free 60fps whenever my lowly 970 can hold that framerate(pretty much just small interiors.) I am seeing textures load a bit slower as someone already mentioned but so far only when loading. AF is exactly, maybe because I just run it at driver level. I never bother with in game AF settings.
I had avoided forcing AF because doing that with id Tech 5 games breaks things - at least until NVIDIA disabled it in those game profiles by default.
That doesn't seem to be the case with Dishonored 2 and the Void Engine.

I'm still not sure that it's working correctly.
It improves textures at an angle, but also seems to affect other parts of the image.
It doesn't cause there to be a grid over everything like you see in id Tech 5 games though.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Unfortunately since they took the patch out of beta, I've not been able to compare the pre/post patch results directly, and it was some time ago now that I last tried playing the game.

Improved but not fixed is what I would say.

The most important change that I've seen, is that it seems like they may have fixed the microstutter/frame-pacing issues now - so long as you set the in-game framerate limiter to 60 FPS.
I can't stand how the game feels at 60 FPS compared to 120 though. It just feels choppy when turning around with the mouse. I use G-SYNC, too.

I recently upgraded from a 970 to a 1080ti, and most of the issues are not there in the demo. The game runs fine, but it's crazy that you would need this kind of card for it.

I'm not sure which options to use in Afterburner to display everything, but . . .

GPU usage was 90%+. CPU about 45%. Avg FPS around 110 at 2560x1440.

Paragon

I can't stand how the game feels at 60 FPS compared to 120 though. It just feels choppy when turning around with the mouse. I use G-SYNC, too.
The framerate is high, but the microstutter is really bad.
If I just strafe sideways with the framerate locked to 90 FPS, it almost looks like any other game running at 45. Very juddery motion.
Reducing the framerate limiter from 90 to 60 FPS is smoother. It's bizarre.

There is still less motion blur and lower latency input from running at 90 FPS though.

I haven't had many of the same problems others in here have had. I've got a 4690k at stock speeds, 8 GB of RAM and a 970. I'm playing with all settings on 'very high' at 1080p with the adaptive resolution set to 'quality' (so ~85% scaling under stress).

I think what's working in my favour is the following: I'm playing on a TV instead of a monitor, and I'm playing with an Xbox controller instead of a keyboard/mouse.

The viewing distance takes some of the fuzziness away when the resolution drops, and the controller smooths out some the jerkiness whenever the framerate wavers. Overall, I'd say it's a relatively solid 60fps, with some jittery parts from time to time, but I'm having a blast with the game and don't mind.

I didn't notice any difference after the new patch last night, hopefully it's getting better for others.

CHC

Wait, will there be DLC for this? I wasn't expecting anything but I would gladly purchase whatever they cook up.

Hell, I even had a ton of fun with Dunwall City Trials.

Just bought the game, with a 4690k @ 4.2ghz, 16GB and a GTX 1080 OC. So far I'm only at the first level and just went outside, everything on ultra, no adaptive resolution and I'm playing at 1080p.

So far it's a solid 60 with zero stuttering and not even a sign of a single frame drop. I really hope it stays like this in the more taxing levels, but I won't be able to try that out until tonight. At least I have tons of room to adjust settings if I need to.

Edit: any way to turn off lens dirt? It's horribly distracting.

Top Bottom