• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 PC performance thread

ghostwich

So far it's a solid 60 with zero stuttering and not even a sign of a single frame drop. I really hope it stays like this in the more taxing levels, but I won't be able to try that out until tonight. At least I have tons of room to adjust settings if I need to.

The opening area of the second level is where a lot of performance issues get exposed.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. Bethesda hasn't touched the demo since releasing it.

I've never understood this, the demo is what I'll base my purchase on, if it runs like ass then no sale. It's really stupid not to patch the demo.

Unreal

On the boat? I did get a brief dip to 58 when the boat panned around, but went back to 60. Not bad for an older cpu.

Just bought the game, with a 4690k @ 4.2ghz, 16GB and a GTX 1080 OC. So far I'm only at the first level and just went outside, everything on ultra, no adaptive resolution and I'm playing at 1080p.

So far it's a solid 60 with zero stuttering and not even a sign of a single frame drop. I really hope it stays like this in the more taxing levels, but I won't be able to try that out until tonight. At least I have tons of room to adjust settings if I need to.

Edit: any way to turn off lens dirt? It's horribly distracting.

GTX 1080 at 1080p...

Coffinhal

This game is really a nightmare on PC.

I'm running it on a 3440x1440 screen with a GTX1070 and a i7 6700. Usually the most recent games can run at 50 to 60 fps depending on what I do.

But here unless I put it to very low w/out AA I can't get a rather steady 60fps and it has some kind of constant stuttering that I can't get rid of no matter which solutions I tried. It is barely playable (first mission in the harbor). I relaunched Dishonored 1 (which I finished for the third time less than a week ago) and I can run it at 6880*2880@60fps with no stuttering and it looks better than D2 on very low. I even tried to free space on my SSD to install it but it didn't change anything.

The biggest flaw to me is that the gameplay with a gamepad is the worst you could get : the high joytstick acceleration is just unplayable, especially compared to Dishonored 1 where it is precise and fluid. And I can't find something in the options or .cfg files that can get rid of this. Between 0 and 90 degrees movement it is too slow and the acceleration curve prevents me from mastering my movement ; after the 90 degrees mark it accelerates way too much and I don't know where I'm landing my movement. Where is the fucking acceleration 0>100 slider??
And no, I don't want to play with a M/K as I don't know how to use this

I'm so disappointed, how can this be such a technical mess ? I seriously don't know how I could play it. Maybe buy a Steam controller and hope the M/K emualtion isn't broken too?

shanafan

Any idea why my image is stretched at 4K in full screen mode? I have a GeForce GTX 1070.

ovndMDl.jpg

It's a 4K monitor, and the resolution is 3840x2160 in my NVIDIA Control Panel. Also, my 4K monitor (ASUS MG24U) shows up as Generic PnP Monitor in the game, but in the NVIDIA CP, it shows as the proper model.

How can I get Dishonored 2 to properly recognize this monitor?

Thanks!

EDIT: Solved. I changed my "Scale and Layout" in Display Settings to 125%.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I came back to this game a few weeks ago to finish up my ghost/pacifist run and performance has improved significantly. I got a good performance boost by disabling the Superfetch process and closing Chrome, which was using a significant amount of CPU resources. Ever since then I've been playing with no slow down and I've even disabled adaptive resolution, which is no longer needed.

If by some miracle Death of the Outsider comes with Vulkan then my RX 480 will sing, but even without that the game performs well enough for DotO to be an instant purchase.

ramshot

I'm not going to claim that the Update #4 had anything to do with this since I'm not sure what settings I've tried before, but I have managed to finally make the game playable for me. There is still some microstutter, enough to be distracting at times, but now it's no longer so prominent that I'm turned off from playing entirely. Which is a good thing, since the game itself is pretty great.

Specs:
6700k @ 4.5
16 gigs DDR4/2666
GTX1080Ti GamingX, newest drivers
Gsync
Win10

Settings:
1440p
Everything maxed
Vsync off
Framerate locked to 75fps so that GPU never hits 100% usage. Using ingame limiter.
Triple buffering on. I don't know why this seems to have an affect on the microstuttering even if vsync is off. Maybe because of the frame rate limit? Weird.

Totally unacceptable that it took this long, and totally unacceptable that it still does microstutter to some extent. That said, I had already given up hope with this game, and I'm happy to finally get some value out of it for my money.

Paragon

Any idea why my image is stretched at 4K in full screen mode? I have a GeForce GTX 1070.
EDIT: Solved. I changed my "Scale and Layout" in Display Settings to 125%.
You would typically solve this by changing the compatibility mode for the application.
Right click the game's executable, select properties, and then "override high DPI scaling behavior" on the compatibility tab.
That way you shouldn't have to change the system DPI setting every time you want to play the game.

I'm not going to claim that the Update #4 had anything to do with this since I'm not sure what settings I've tried before, but I have managed to finally make the game playable for me. There is still some microstutter, enough to be distracting at times, but now it's no longer so prominent that I'm turned off from playing entirely.
Try capping it to 60 FPS rather than 75 FPS, using the game's own framerate limiter.
With a G-Sync display, setting the framerate limiter to anything other than 60 still has bad microstutter for me.
60 FPS eliminated it - though the game still has other performance issues; like bad stuttering which does not fall into the "microstutter" category.

shanafan

You would typically solve this by changing the compatibility mode for the application.
Right click the game's executable, select properties, and then "override high DPI scaling behavior" on the compatibility tab.
That way you shouldn't have to change the system DPI setting every time you want to play the game.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I was thinking that in the back of my mind how annoying it could become if every game performed differently.

EDIT: OK, you are a lifesaver. This adjustment has worked wonders for running a 4K laptop and a 1080 monitor with Adobe Acrobat. Acrobat would be blown up on the 1080 monitor, but this correction fixed it!

Lime

Any free camera tools out there?

And most importantly, any way to disable the annoying "Skip" button during cutscenes?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any free camera tools out there?

Yeah, but you need to manually download an older build of the game as the tool hasn't been updated since November:

It looks like Matti hasn't updated his tool since late November. These are the depots and versions thereof you'll want to download, assuming it's the English version of the game you're after (click here to open Steam's developer console):

download_depot 403640 531331 1075727845700764927
download_depot 403640 531332 708887017946592311
download_depot 403640 531333 2789986497287559730
download_depot 403640 531614 4491824200672345523

Once they're done, just clear the installation folder and cut/paste the data you downloaded manually, which you'll find in SteamApps\content\app_403640\depot_depotid. I'd imagine the only issue you may encounter with Denuvo is having to re-authenticate.

Manual depot downloads won't be added to Library -> Downloads, but the console will tell you when the data has been downloaded.

Kazuhira

970 owner here,am i fucked right? Loved Prey and i wanted to try this one out.
I could try the demo but i've read that the full game is not that bad perfomance-wise.

JaseC

970 owner here,am i fucked right? Loved Prey and i wanted to try this one out.
I could try the demo but i've read that the full game is not that bad perfomance-wise.

The demo build was recently updated. If your PC can run the Karnaca Docks level well enough, you should be fine, with the possible exception of the Clockwork Mansion level a little later in the game.

Coreda

970 owner here,am i fucked right?

I'm running older drivers which probably affects perf but I found it playable at around 1080p. I'm not one to mind about sub-native resolution so I set it to slightly smaller than that on a 1440p display with medium (auto) settings in addition to enabling HBAO+ and light shafts. Also running ReShade for its LumaSharpen filter to reduce the TXAA blurriness.

In less complex scenes I was seeing between 50-60fps but can take massive–but not constant–dips in certain areas (30fps), sometimes just from facing a certain direction. I found the Dust level mansion to feel the worst, probably due to rendering parts of two different scenes simultaneously. If I'd been playing lethally the performance might have been more noticeable but stealthily I wasn't conscious of it for the most part since I was taking in the designs. Oh, and due to the wide aspect ratio I also set a wider FoV, rendering more around me which likely affected my framerate somewhat.

Looks practically downsampled tbh:

10ru67.jpg

Lime

Yeah, but you need to manually download an older build of the game as the tool hasn't been updated since November:

Manual depot downloads won't be added to Library -> Downloads, but the console will tell you when the data has been downloaded.

Thanks JaseC, it's very much appreciated. I wonder how well the patches are that I'll be missing out on if I revert to the November build

daxy

Haven't played it since a few weeks ago, but I was able to get a pretty solid 60 frames at 1080p with a mixture of high/ultra settings and HBAO+ on (textures @ high, importantly, and sharpening with reshade to compensate -- maybe a medium somewhere?). Triple buffering (+ the usual RTSS stuff) helped ease most drops. If you have trouble getting it running, drop me a PM and I'll redownload the game to see what my settings were.

Last edited:

Kazuhira

Thanks guys,maybe this summer sale is the best moment to buy it.

Haven't played it since a few weeks ago, but I was able to get a pretty solid 60 frames at 1080p with a mixture of high/ultra settings and HBAO+ on (textures @ high, importantly, and sharpening with reshade to compensate -- maybe a medium somewhere?). Triple buffering (+ the usual RTSS stuff) helped ease most drops. If you have trouble getting it running, drop me a PM and I'll redownload the game to see what my settings were.

This is with 16 gb ram & a 4690K btw. Slight OC on the 970, stock CPU.

We have the same specs,nice! thanks,will do!

Ive just completed the first one and see that 2 is on the steam sale for £15 which seems nice and cheap but can anyone summarise any technical issues it might have? Ive got a pretty beefy pc - Titan xp, 4790k, some ram etc.

is it going to run well (60fps, at least 1080p ((i do have a 4k tv)) ?

cheers.

Melubas

I just played through it maxed in 4k with pretty much constant 60 fps, except in the largest areas with lots of particle effects where it would drop to 45-50 fps. Very playable, no stuttering with v-sync on. MSI gaming x 1080 ti and a 4770k overclocked to 4,3ghz.

TMCN

Neo Member
Still playing through but I'm seeing dips to 50~55 fps, everything maxed.

4770k @ 3.5
16gb
SSD.
@ 2560x1080

Anyone have tips to increase performance? Apart from the obvious "lower your settings" of course.

Edit: Maybe I should have started on the first page...

Kazuhira

Managed to play a few minutes and man,the game surely oozes in style.
It runs great but this is with middle settings(defaulted automatically by the game) but i'll spend a good time messing around with it when i have more time,i was in a mad rush yesterday.
First impressions seem to be great so far,the game plays and runs smoothly(locked 60fps).
Surely i can't max it out but the game still looks beautiful with middle settings imo,something that really surprised me is the lack of aliasing even at 720p.
This isn't the same engine from Prey right? This one is called 'Void'.

Aklamarth

Kazuhira said:
This isn't the same engine from Prey right? This one is called 'Void'.

No, Prey is using CryEngine. This "void" thing is a fork of the idtech5 engine. And i am willing to bet Arkhane didn't want to use idtech5 and Bethesda pushed for it.

Sotha_Sil

No, Prey is using CryEngine. This "void" thing is a fork of the idtech5 engine. And i am willing to bet Arkhane didn't want to use idtech5 and Bethesda pushed for it.

I was hoping Id Tech 6 would get greater adoption in Beth Soft titles. I figured every post-DOOM, non-TES/FO game would be using it. Instead, we've got...

-Dishonored 2 (Void)
-Dishonored Death of the Outsider (Void)
-Prey (CryEngine)
-Evil Within 2 (Unreal 4 I think?)
-Quake Legends (Id/Saber tech hybrid)

-Wolfenstein TNC (Id Tech 6)

Back on topic, I only just purchased the full version of the game. It had been patched since I played the demo so I booted it up for 5 minutes to do a test run. It's a little early to say, but I saw noticeable performance gains. I was able to kick things up to high across the board with TXAA (max sharpness) and hold a consistent 60. Again, very preliminary results. Using a 480/6600k (not OC'd atm).

dr_rus

I was hoping Id Tech 6 would get greater adoption in Beth Soft titles. I figured every post-DOOM, non-TES/FO game would be using it. Instead, we've got...

-Dishonored 2 (Void)
-Prey (CryEngine)

-Wolfenstein TNC (Id Tech 6)

Back on topic, I only just purchased the full version of the game. It had been patched since I played the demo so I booted it up for 5 minutes to do a test run. It's a little early to say, but I saw noticeable performance gains. I was able to kick things up to high across the board with TXAA (max sharpness) and hold a consistent 60. Again, very preliminary results. Using a 480/6600k (not OC'd atm).

-Dishonored 2 (Void)

These two are using a modified id Tech with a different renderer.

-Prey (CryEngine)

Development likely started before Bethesda bought id.

No, it's also id Tech of an unspecified version / branch.

This one is using a modified Tech 6 with DX renderer.

For games to actually use id Tech 6 this engine must be usable outside of just one project - i.e. Doom. Considering that it's an OpenGL/Vulkan engine it's pretty exotic and thus it's absolutely unlikely that many games will be using it without heavy modifications. So for id Tech to become a universal engine for Bethesda they'll have to make a lot of changes and additions to it, with standard D3D11 and D3D12 renderers being one of the obvious.

epmode

I played this for the first time since the big performance patch. Framerate still feels too low for the visuals but I think the awful judder (on a G-Sync monitor!) has been eliminated. I finally get to finish the game!

JaseC

Aklamarth

It's interesting that the only teams which used IdTech with good results (idsoftware and machinehead ) were making shooters. For Arkhane (Dishonored 2) and TequilaWorks (EvilWithin) using this proved disastrous . I think Arkhane US just saw the difficulties the France team had with Dishonored 2 and told Bethesda to fuckoff when it came to using IdTech5.

Ironically, same shit happened with Andromeda too. Using frostbite (a fps engine built for shooters) for a 3rd person action RPG with a new team, caused lots of problems there too.

Paragon

For Arkhane (Dishonored 2) and TequilaWorks (EvilWithin) using this proved disastrous.
The Evil Within was patched about a month after launch and it fixed the problem where the game was basically only running on two threads.
It's still a demanding game to run, but scales to all 16 threads on my R7-1700X with maybe 10% variance in the load across all cores. (very well balanced)
No stuttering at all, and unlocking the framerate on a G-Sync monitor is very smooth.

dr_rus

Zenimax bought id all the way back in 2009, well before Human Head's Prey 2 was announced or even the Arkane acquisition, while Prey17 wasn't greenlit until ~mid-2013. My guess would be that Arkane was using CryEngine to prototype and by the time Bethesda signed off on the project, it simply made more sense to continue with CE than force the project over to id Tech.

Yeah, you're right. For some reason I thought that they've bought id not so long ago.

I got a gtx 1080 today! I had a AMD gpu before, and I'm having problems using DSR in this game.

Any hints?

I activated DSR in the 3d settings, of course.

But it doesn't appear in the resolution settings of the game, in the Geforce experience
frQdBmS.png

(I know in other games appear on top of the window, not here)

I read you have to set the resolution first on desktop, but also is failing for me:

CdoTPGR.png

it doesn't appear in-game, later:

jKv9I3B.png

What am I doing wrong?

I have Windows 10 x64 Prof.

Paragon

I got a gtx 1080 today! I had a AMD gpu before, and I'm having problems using DSR in this game.
Any hints?
I activated DSR in the 3d settings, of course.
But it doesn't appear in the resolution settings of the game, in the Geforce experience http://i.imgur.com/frQdBmS.png
(I know in other games appear on top of the window, not here)
I read you have to set the resolution first on desktop, but also is failing for me: http://i.imgur.com/CdoTPGR.png
it doesn't appear in-game, later: http://i.imgur.com/jKv9I3B.png
What am I doing wrong?
I have Windows 10 x64 Prof.
Try restarting your PC after activating DSR.
I've never had to do that, but a few people have reported needing to do that recently.
Dishonored 2 shouldn't require you to change the desktop resolution to use it.

Top Bottom