• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 PC performance thread

robotrock

Banned
I got a gtx 1080 today! I had a AMD gpu before, and I'm having problems using DSR in this game.

Any hints?

I activated DSR in the 3d settings, of course.

But it doesn't appear in the resolution settings of the game, in the Geforce experience
frQdBmS.png

(I know in other games appear on top of the window, not here)

I read you have to set the resolution first on desktop, but also is failing for me:

CdoTPGR.png

it doesn't appear in-game, later:

jKv9I3B.png

What am I doing wrong?

I have Windows 10 x64 Prof.

you in fullscreen or borderless windowed?

Try restarting your PC after activating DSR.
I've never had to do that, but a few people have reported needing to do that recently.
Dishonored 2 shouldn't require you to change the desktop resolution to use it.

Interesting, After a restart, one of the three DSR resolutions appeared on GFE:

MVWhm4X.png

Better than nothing I suppose!

----

edit:

you in fullscreen or borderless windowed?

I tried both, without no results.

CHC

I'm playing the game for my second time now.

I have found that the smoothest feeling, as silly as it sounds, is simply from in game v-sync with triple buffering enabled and mouth smoothing at 0. I've tried borderless, Fast Sync, etc. The game is just extremely prone to juddering with these other solutions enabled (including G-sync), even when it's reading as 60+ FPS.

I'm on a 2500k and 1070. I'm playing at 2560x1600, all High settings (textures on Ultra), HBAO off, and adaptive resolution set to Balanced. Always runs at 60 FPS, and typically without a reduction in resolution.

bongpig

Neo Member
So, I reinstalled the game today and was totally surprised that the frame pacing issues had finally gone! Like the chap above me suggested, I had to remove the NVCP vsync and RTSS and rely entirely on the in-game vsync.

10 months after release I can play it. Yay!.... sort of.

Paragon

So using RTSS (for example frame limiter) causes stuttering?
You need to use the game's own framerate limiter, and it must be set to 60 FPS.
V-Sync disables the game's framerate limiter, it must be coincidental that the above posters' displays refresh rates are close enough that it doesn't suffer frame-pacing issues.

I upgraded my CPU from a i5-2500K to an R7-1700X in part due to the performance of Dishonored 2, so perhaps what they consider completely smooth is not the same as I do, or perhaps the areas they are testing are not as demanding.

Paragon

I'm not sure I understand - can you play the game without stuttering with vsync enabled?
No, I get frame-pacing/microstutter issues if I use V-Sync; i.e. game runs at 60 but looks and feels like 30.
I need to use borderless fullscreen mode with the framerate limiter set to 60 instead. This is with a G-Sync display.
Enabling V-Sync disables the limiter, which means the frames are not guaranteed to be presented correctly.

At 60Hz with V-Sync enabled you might get lucky and V-Sync will be close enough to run smoothly but it is not a guarantee like the framerate limiter is.
V-Sync is not smooth on either my i5-2500K/960 or R7-1700X/1070 systems.

CHC

I'm not sure I understand - can you play the game without stuttering with vsync enabled?

The only thing that mitigated stutter for me was playing fullscreen, in game v-sync on, triple buffering enabled. Any combination of outside frame limiting, Fast / adaptive sync, or bordlerless fullscreen caused the stuttering / chugging to happen - even when the game was reportedly running at 60 FPS.

Paragon

The only thing that mitigated stutter for me was playing fullscreen, in game v-sync on, triple buffering enabled. Any combination of outside frame limiting, Fast / adaptive sync, or bordlerless fullscreen caused the stuttering / chugging to happen - even when the game was reportedly running at 60 FPS.
I'm now wondering if you're on Windows 10 or not.
Windows 10 has made a lot of improvements to windowed mode compared to 7 or 8.

Actually, if you're on the Creators Update, Dishonored 2 is on the list of enhanced games, so "fullscreen" mode is basically running in the new and improved borderless windowed mode anyway.

I agree that you absolutely cannot use external framerate limiting or v-sync controls with this game though. I just think it's strange that V-Sync is working for you, while I have to use the game's framerate limiter. (Since V-Sync disables it)
As I said: if that's working for you, I think it's just coincidental that your display's refresh rate is close enough that it's not causing timing/frame presentation errors.

SimplexPL

If frame limiter disables vsync does it mean it introduces tearing?

I have Win10 and a 60Hz TV - I hate tearing and stuttering, so I want to find out can I play dishonored at 60fps without tearing and stuttering? (I have 1080Ti and 6700K).

bongpig

Neo Member
So using RTSS (for example frame limiter) causes stuttering?

Exactly. That wasn't the case before. Back when I last tried the game ( around May ) using NV vsync and RTSS got me the best results. By "best results" I mean lots of frame pacing issues, as opposed to eyeball exploding horribleness when using the in-game vsync.

But now, it seems, using anything other than in-game vsync still causes the stutter. But in-game vsync straightens the game right out. I dont know what they have done since May, but it works. Ive tried it 4-5 times now, just to check it wasn't an anomaly, and indeed the game plays well. Not only well, but actually rock solid 60fps.

Im playing on very high setting.
1060@2100
4670k@4.4.

Paragon

If frame limiter disables vsync does it mean it introduces tearing?
Well that depends on many different factors. A G-Sync display won't tear if it's capped to 60 FPS with no V-Sync.
If you are using Borderless Fullscreen Mode on anything other than the Windows 10 Creators Update, that shouldn't tear either.
If you're on the Windows 10 Creators Update, you would have to disable Fullscreen Optimizations for the game's executable to use the old borderless mode which prevents it from tearing.

I have Win10 and a 60Hz TV - I hate tearing and stuttering, so I want to find out can I play dishonored at 60fps without tearing and stuttering? (I have 1080Ti and 6700K).
There is a demo you can download from the Steam page now.

Exactly. That wasn't the case before. Back when I last tried the game ( around May ) using NV vsync and RTSS got me the best results. By "best results" I mean lots of frame pacing issues, as opposed to eyeball exploding horribleness when using the in-game vsync.
But now, it seems, using anything other than in-game vsync still causes the stutter. But in-game vsync straightens the game right out. I dont know what they have done since May, but it works. Ive tried it 4-5 times now, just to check it wasn't an anomaly, and indeed the game plays well. Not only well, but actually rock solid 60fps.
That's very strange. I've downloaded it again and tested on both systems I have - one with a G-Sync display and another connected to a TV, and V-Sync still causes it to stutter.
It's not as bad as an external framerate limiter or NVCP V-Sync being applied, but the only thing that eliminates the frame-pacing/microstutter issues is to use the game's framerate limiter set to 60 FPS in borderless mode. (set it to anything else and those issues return)
And again: if you're on the Creators Update, the game is basically in borderless mode whether it's set to fullscreen or not, unless you have disabled fullscreen optimizations.
If I disable the optimizations and use true fullscreen exclusive mode, I get the same bad stuttering that was always there. There shouldn't be a difference in V-Sync behavior between fullscreen/borderless if you're on the Win10CU.

Still, it sounds like there are at least two different things that people can try to see if it allows the game to run smoothly for them.
I wish that it ran better, and supported framerates >60 FPS, but it is at least in a playable state now. However, for native 3440x1440, I really need something faster than a GTX 1070.

CHC

I'm now wondering if you're on Windows 10 or not.
Windows 10 has made a lot of improvements to windowed mode compared to 7 or 8.

Actually, if you're on the Creators Update, Dishonored 2 is on the list of enhanced games, so "fullscreen" mode is basically running in the new and improved borderless windowed mode anyway.

I agree that you absolutely cannot use external framerate limiting or v-sync controls with this game though. I just think it's strange that V-Sync is working for you, while I have to use the game's framerate limiter. (Since V-Sync disables it)
As I said: if that's working for you, I think it's just coincidental that your display's refresh rate is close enough that it's not causing timing/frame presentation errors.

It is quite unusual. Yes, I am on Windows 10. When I select V-sync it tells me it's locked at 59 Hz, whatever, it still reports 60 FPS when running.

But yeah, as we're both saying, the game does not play nicely with any outside tools that affect frame delivery, it seems. My default for most games is to use Fast Sync and then limit the FPS to 60 - typically that gets me the smoothest experience if in game V-sync is bad (as it tends to be).

In Dishonored 2 it's not even close - the settings I describe feel completely smooth. Granted, this is anecdotal - I haven't done serious analysis, but I can play undistracted, and I'm pretty sensitive to this kind of thing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does the demo have the latest patch? Tried it and my GTX 970 struggles to maintain 60 FPS at high from the get go.

I believe so. It was updated a week after the most recent patch hit.

Edit: In case anybody is wondering, there'll be a separate thread for Death of the Outsider.

gypsygib

I'm playing the game for my second time now.

I have found that the smoothest feeling, as silly as it sounds, is simply from in game v-sync with triple buffering enabled and mouth smoothing at 0. I've tried borderless, Fast Sync, etc. The game is just extremely prone to juddering with these other solutions enabled (including G-sync), even when it's reading as 60+ FPS.

I'm on a 2500k and 1070. I'm playing at 2560x1600, all High settings (textures on Ultra), HBAO off, and adaptive resolution set to Balanced. Always runs at 60 FPS, and typically without a reduction in resolution.

Only way for it to be judder free for me is to turn off vsync and triple buffering in game and lock it at 60 FPS. I leave GSYNC on but it will stutter if it drops under 60FPS. Only did that once, but I saw the frames were at 58, other than that it's smooth. My GPU can push at a lot more, but anything higher than 60 FPS stutters.

dr_rus

Tried running the game yesterday for the first time since last year, and I have to say that I'm actually impressed by how good it runs on my 1080 in 2560x1600 maxed out. One thing to note though is that I don't usually use vsync with m+k so if this one is bugged then I haven't run into it. Otherwise I'm getting 60-120 fps with TXAA 1x for AA and there are no hitches to speak about.

Vertti

4690k @ 4.5
980 Ti
16 Gb

1080p on ultra. Runs perfectly fine. Haven't noticed any micro stuttering after 3 hours of playing. I use Dishonored 2's own frame limiter with Nvidia's vsync on. For some reason using Dishonored 2's vsync it didn't cap my framerate while still causing some screen tearing.

Really surprised after all these negative comments.

Paragon

4690k @ 4.5, 980 Ti, 16 Gb
1080p on ultra. Runs perfectly fine. Haven't noticed any micro stuttering after 3 hours of playing. I use Dishonored 2's own frame limiter with Nvidia's vsync on. For some reason using Dishonored 2's vsync it didn't cap my framerate while still causing some screen tearing.
Really surprised after all these negative comments.
The patch they released in June - 7 months after the game's release - finally fixed the microstutter/framepacing issues so long as you use the in-game limiter set to 60 FPS, and your system is fast enough to keep the game running at 60.
You still can't run it at anything other than 60 FPS without those problems. If I set the framerate limiter to 90, it still feels like the game is running at 45 FPS.
And yes, enabling V-Sync in the game disables the framerate limiter - even allowing the framerate to go beyond the limit of 120 FPS.

Vertti

Yeah fair enough.

Though there are messages here from August and September that say the game still stutters like hell if not using the game's own vsync. That throw me off a bit.

But nice to see it working now at least altough it shouldn't have taken this long and too bad that your rig needs to be really powerful to be able to run the game well.

So, to sum up, in order to run the game without microstutter:

In game frame limited to 60
In game VSYNC off
3rd party frame limiter (RTSS) off?
And then disable full screen optimization for win10 creators update
After that does it matter if you run full screen vs borderless window?

And is there a way to make RTSS just ignore the game instead of me having to disable it and then re-enable it when I play other games?

Paragon

Only if you don't have a G-Sync display, and don't want screen tearing.
Use borderless.
And is there a way to make RTSS just ignore the game instead of me having to disable it and then re-enable it when I play other games?
Add "Dishonored2.exe" and disable it.

parabolee

The patch they released in June - 7 months after the game's release - finally fixed the microstutter/framepacing issues so long as you use the in-game limiter set to 60 FPS, and your system is fast enough to keep the game running at 60.
You still can't run it at anything other than 60 FPS without those problems. If I set the framerate limiter to 90, it still feels like the game is running at 45 FPS.
And yes, enabling V-Sync in the game disables the framerate limiter - even allowing the framerate to go beyond the limit of 120 FPS.

So if I use the in-game frame rate limiter and keep the in-game V-sync off, can I use the Nvidia V-sync?

I bought the game at launch (CE even!) but gave up because of the frame pacing issues, hoping to jump back in if I can get the game running well.

MaLDo

Only if you don't have a G-Sync display, and don't want screen tearing.
Use borderless.

Add "Dishonored2.exe" and disable it.

Before the last was imposible to get perfect smooth framerates.

After the last patch I had to tweak so many things to achieve locked 60 fps without frame pacing issues. I mean, to use fast sync, changing the max frames ahead, using borderless (when no other game runs better in this mode vs exclusive), etc. But was possible.

But yesterday I tested again (I'm now in the creators update of win10 + a few drivers ahead for my gtx1080 than the last test) and the behavior is totally different. Now the best result is in exclusive with regular vsync and no unusual tweaks. And the game runs better than before.

Paragon

So if I use the in-game frame rate limiter and keep the in-game V-sync off, can I use the Nvidia V-sync?
I bought the game at launch (CE even!) but gave up because of the frame pacing issues, hoping to jump back in if I can get the game running well.
The issue seems to be that some timer in the game is required to be running at exactly 60Hz or else you get bad microstutter/framepacing issues which make it feel like the game is running at half the framerate.
NVIDIA V-Sync would influence the framerate which is likely to affect that, while running (old) borderless mode with v-sync disabled should not - and still remain free of tearing.

Some people here say they get better results in fullscreen with V-Sync on though. (possibly with the new fullscreen optimizations enabled on Windows 10)
The reason people are reporting different things is that it probably depends on slight timing differences as "60Hz" displays are not all running at exactly 60.000000Hz. If it's close enough, V-Sync probably works.

If you don't care about screen tearing, just disabling V-Sync and running in fullscreen mode should work, as long as the in-game framerate limiter is set to 60.
You likely need G-Sync for 100% smooth performance at all times, and without any tearing.
So the game is still a bit of a mess, and you still can't run it any faster than 60 FPS (even with G-Sync), but it should be possible to find some combination of settings that mostly works now. It's not completely broken like it was before the most recent patch.

jorimt

But yesterday I tested again (I'm now in the creators update of win10 + a few drivers ahead for my gtx1080 than the last test) and the behavior is totally different. Now the best result is in exclusive with regular vsync and no unusual tweaks. And the game runs better than before.

I noticed the same thing here. I recently started a new game, and at 144Hz with in-game V-SYNC disabled, 120 in-game FPS limit (I couldn't even get it to run at 60 FPS without recurring stutter before), and G-SYNC + NVCP V-SYNC, no more stutter.

Not sure when or what they did, but it fixed it on my side.

It may vary by setup though, because it looks like some are still getting stutter.

parabolee

The issue seems to be that some timer in the game is required to be running at exactly 60Hz or else you get bad microstutter/framepacing issues which make it feel like the game is running at half the framerate.
NVIDIA V-Sync would influence the framerate which is likely to affect that, while running (old) borderless mode with v-sync disabled should not - and still remain free of tearing.

Some people here say they get better results in fullscreen with V-Sync on though. (possibly with the new fullscreen optimizations enabled on Windows 10)
The reason people are reporting different things is that it probably depends on slight timing differences as "60Hz" displays are not all running at exactly 60.000000Hz. If it's close enough, V-Sync probably works.

If you don't care about screen tearing, just disabling V-Sync and running in fullscreen mode should work, as long as the in-game framerate limiter is set to 60.
You likely need G-Sync for 100% smooth performance at all times, and without any tearing.
So the game is still a bit of a mess, and you still can't run it any faster than 60 FPS (even with G-Sync), but it should be possible to find some combination of settings that mostly works now. It's not completely broken like it was before the most recent patch.

Thanks

Is the dynamic resolution working at all now? It was useless at launch and after the first 3 patches. Just made the game look worse and made no improvemnts to performance (that I could tell).

Javier23

Banned
In case it is of some help to someone, just wanted to remark on the odd fact that the game ran smoother when using the in-game FPS limiter set at 60 than any other setting. Not 90, not 120, not anything else. 60.

Hoover1979

Neo Member
I bought Dishonored 2 a couple of weeks ago, and although I get playable performance (60ish FPS) on ultra at 1080p.

The big problem I get is crashing, crashing and more crashing! When I had the factory overclock on my GTX1080 the game would crash out every 3-5mins, and with the clocks at stock with NO overclock at all, the came crashes out every 10-15 mins! I tried reducing the details and I get the same crashing even when the details are all set to their lowest settings, and the resolution is gimped down to 720p! I am beyond annoyed. When I'm playing for a few mins, and then the screen goes black for 1-2 seconds and BOOM! back to the desktop with no error/crash message at all, I want to tear my hair out and scream profanity at the top of my lungs!

I check Windows Event Viewer to look for a log on the crash and there is absolutely nothing there. no info of the crash and no info of there even being a crash. It's like the game just quit itself. I guess that is due to Denuvo's obfuscation methods (Malware like behavior) and I wonder if Denuvo is blocking the info regarding the crashes from Windows to hide that it is Denuvo causing the crashes? (like with DOOM). No solution works for me. I tried it all.

Everything I could find on Google and everything fellow Dishonored 2 players told me in the Steam Dishonored 2 discussions (at least the normal, sensible players, not the morons that troll with "Dishonored runs fine, your PC is just s***house!"), my PC plays DOOM at constant 120FPS at max detail (including nightmare page size and shadow detail). On Dishonored 2, I just keep crashing, crashing and crashing!

I wish Bethesda would just remove the Denuvo digital cancer, as the pirates already have their stolen copies, as I want to be able to get info on the crashes from event viewer without Denuvo getting in the way. Maybe removing Denuvo will fix the crash issue. I kept getting crashes on DOOM until the very day the update that removed Denuvo was released, and I suspect history is repeating, as always seems to be the case with greedy publishers like Bethesda!

I really want to play this game without the frequent and incessant crashes! It is fun as hell when I get those small bursts of gameplay before a crash. I wish I could play for hours like I can on DOOM now.

My PC Specs: (Thes specs should not have any problems with Dishonored 2)

Windows 7 Professional 64bit on Kingston HyperX Fury SSD (120Gb)
ASUS Z97-k Mobo
Corsair HX850i Platinum Grade 850w PSU
Intel i7-4790k in turbo mode 4.4Ghz via BIOS XMP settings
Corsair H115i Liquid CPU Cooler
32Gb Corsair Vengeance pro 2400 DDR3 RAM (set in XMP mode)
8Gb Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming GTX1080 OC PCIe Waterforce GFX Card
latest WHQL Nvidia Display Drivers
Sound Blaster Zx PCIe Sound Card
Logitech Z906 THX Certified 5.1 Surrond Speakers and LFE
Seagate 8Tb Internal HDD
WD 4Tb internal HDD
WD Caviar 1.5Tb Internal HDD
WD Elements 1Tb External USB 3.0 HDD
WD Elements 3Tb External USB 3.0 HDD
ASUS VG278 27" 120Hz 3D Monitor with Nvidia 3D Vision 2 (tm)
AVERMedia Volar Green USB2.0 HDTV Tuner
Targus Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter
Microsoft Xbox One S Controller connected via MicroUSB to avoid Win10 requirement
Logitech K260 Wireless Keyboard
ASUS PCE-AC68U AC1900 PCIe WiFi Card paired with:
ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900 Dual-Band Router on 5ghz band
Fractal Design XL-R2 Full Tower ATX Chassis

Paragon

I would suggest dropping your GPU clocks even lower just to see if that's the cause of the stability issue - GPU clocks or insufficient voltage is usually the cause of instability in id Tech 5 games.
Could be your CPU or memory as well though, since they're both overclocked. A lot of people don't bother to do extensive stability testing when overclocking.
For whatever reason, id Tech 5 games are really sensitive to systems that are not 100% stable - and generally not crashing in other games is not the same thing as being 100% stable.
For as much as I've had performance issues with the game, I haven't had it crash once in ~34 hours logged on Steam, on two different CPUs and two different video cards.

JaseC

I bought Dishonored 2 a couple of weeks ago, and although I get playable performance (60ish FPS) on ultra at 1080p.

The big problem I get is crashing, crashing and more crashing! <snip>

I think your problem is hardware-related. Not only have you noticed that Dishonored 2 runs longer when the factory overclock on your GPU is removed, but you were also experiencing crashes in Hellblade until you brought the power limit back down to 100%. That points to the culprit being a slightly buggered GPU or PSU.

Edit: I'll echo what Paragon has said and say I had zero crashes in either title throughout my time with them (~69 hours and somewhere around 8 hours, respectively).

Paragon

I'd be surprised if it was a faulty power supply unless it's old enough that it's no longer under warranty. Corsair generally covers them for 5-10 years depending on the model.
I don't think that Corsair PSUs come with cables like these, but make sure that you are not using any extensions, splitters, or adapters on the power connections to your GPU, and that each 8-pin connector is supplied with its own cable connecting it to the PSU. 6+2 connectors are fine though. I'd recommend removing and reseating all power connections in your system too.
Since it's an i-series PSU from Corsair, hook it up via USB and check that all voltages are within spec with Corsair Link or HWiNFO64. Leave this software running so that you can view a graph of the voltage over time or peak/minimum values, and see if it's dropping out of spec when the game crashes.

JaseC

I'd be surprised if it was a faulty power supply unless it's old enough that it's no longer under warranty. Corsair generally covers them for 5-10 years depending on the model.

He mentioned in the Hellblade thread that he bought the PSU when he upgraded earlier this year as his old Antec 600W wouldn't cut the mustard, but I figured the possibility, while certainly less likely, was worth mentioning as it can't quite be ruled out based on the information he's provided thus far.

dr_rus

The game haven't crashed once during my ~10 hours with it. This is most likely your local stability issue. Set everything to stock first.

bongpig

Neo Member
So, to sum up, in order to run the game without microstutter:

In game frame limited to 60
In game VSYNC off
3rd party frame limiter (RTSS) off?

Maybe for some... not for others. Personally, using anything other than in-game vsync delivers a horrid experience. RTSS is a definite no-no for me as far as this game is concerned. This is the only game I own that doesn't like it.

Not fussed really. Just very happy to be able to finally play this game with solid silky gameplay. Its a great game when it works well.

leng jai

is it normal that my performance turns to shit once I'm in the Clockwork Mansion? My 1070 drops to 50fps in spots even at a measly 1080p.

CHC

is it normal that my performance turns to shit once I'm in the Clockwork Mansion? My 1070 drops to 50fps in spots even at a measly 1080p.

Yes, it is by far the worst performing area of the game, that and the first level in Karnaca where you overlook that big plaza with the Overseers in it.

Try bumping the settings down to High but keep textures at Ultra. It's nearly identical and will perform much better.

CHC

I ended up locking it at 1620p/30fps and calling it a day.

For what it's worth, I played on a 1070 / 2500k and got good IQ and performance using these settings:

- 2560 x 1440
- All settings to High
- TXAA with sharpness between 5 to 10
- Textures to Ultra
- HBAO off
- Dynamic resolution set to "balanced"
- Lock at 60 FPS

Looked really clean and basically never dropped below 60. Whatever works for you, though, preferences vary - just a suggestion.

daxy

You could see if locking the game's CPU priority to high using something like Process Hacker helps you. Read that helped a few people a while ago. Dunno if the patches addressed any of that by now though.

For what it's worth, I played on a 1070 / 2500k and got good IQ and performance using these settings:

- 2560 x 1440
- All settings to High
- TXAA with sharpness between 5 to 10
- Textures to Ultra
- HBAO off
- Dynamic resolution set to "balanced"
- Lock at 60 FPS

Looked really clean and basically never dropped below 60. Whatever works for you, though, preferences vary - just a suggestion.

Any non-technical reason you've got HBAO off? I'm running the same quality settings @ 1080p but with textures on high, HBAO on, and dynamic res disabled.

Last edited:

leng jai

It was running fine prior. I'm just capping it for Clockwork Mansion and then putting it back to 1080/60fps after it's finished.

Adry9

I have a 7950 Boost. Will I be able to play this game? At this point I'll even take 30fps + controller with PS4 graphics.

Top Bottom