• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Just finished the game then. Taken as a whole, it was alright, a solid 7.5/10 but fuck me that ending was terrible.
I got up the Lighthouse without dying or alerting any guards once then all it was was a matter of stabbing the Admiral and unlocking Emilys door. Pendleton and Martin were already dead.
Just lazy, boring stuff from Arkane.

Just finished the game then. Taken as a whole, it was alright, a solid 7.5/10 but fuck me that ending was terrible.
I got up the Lighthouse without dying or alerting any guards once then all it was was a matter of stabbing the Admiral and unlocking Emilys door. Pendleton and Martin were already dead.
Just lazy, boring stuff from Arkane.

Can't say I agree. (Also, you might want to spoiler tag that post...) Was it the actual ending itself that disappointed you?
The cutscene after rescuing Emily?
Or was it the end of the final level? Because I thought it was very well done, but it's not really something you realize until you see the various ways that portion of the game can be played.

Low chaos: you can just sneak and avoid Havelock, and then release Emily. Or you can sneak up and kill or knock him out silently. However, that's honestly the least satisfying way to finish things off. For low chaos, you really should go and talk to him first. He has some interesting things to say. He claims that he'll let you have the key, but when you take it, he attacks you, and a rather epic fight ensues.

High chaos: High chaos is completely different. For one, Martin and Pendelton are still alive. If you confront Martin, he'll talk to you and then kill himself (if you don't kill him first). You can talk to Pendelton as well for some interesting story bits, and but he'll die as well due to a gunshot wound that Martin gave him.

When you get to the top, Havelock has Emily at the very top of the lighthouse. He's basically gone completely crazy, and plans on jumping to his death - with Emily in hand. So you've got a difficult scenario, because if you just charge in, he jumps and Emily dies. It becomes an interesting debate as to what you'll do to stop/kill Havelock without hurting Emily.

Really, I think you just had the more boring of the possible options there. Not your fault of course, I agree that they should have made them ALL just as interesting, but I don't think Arkane was lazy or boring when it came to the end of the game. You were just unfortunate in picking the less interesting option.

Can't say I agree. (Also, you might want to spoiler tag that post...) Was it the actual ending itself that disappointed you?
The cutscene after rescuing Emily?
Or was it the end of the final level? Because I thought it was very well done, but it's not really something you realize until you see the various ways that portion of the game can be played.

Low chaos: you can just sneak and avoid Havelock, and then release Emily. Or you can sneak up and kill or knock him out silently. However, that's honestly the least satisfying way to finish things off. For low chaos, you really should go and talk to him first. He has some interesting things to say. He claims that he'll let you have the key, but when you take it, he attacks you, and a rather epic fight ensues.

High chaos: High chaos is completely different. For one, Martin and Pendelton are still alive. If you confront Martin, he'll talk to you and then kill himself (if you don't kill him first). You can talk to Pendelton as well for some interesting story bits, and but he'll die as well due to a gunshot wound that Martin gave him.

When you get to the top, Havelock has Emily at the very top of the lighthouse. He's basically gone completely crazy, and plans on jumping to his death - with Emily in hand. So you've got a difficult scenario, because if you just charge in, he jumps and Emily dies. It becomes an interesting debate as to what you'll do to stop/kill Havelock without hurting Emily.

Really, I think you just had the more boring of the possible options there. Not your fault of course, I agree that they should have made them ALL just as interesting, but I don't think Arkane was lazy or boring when it came to the end of the game. You were just unfortunate in picking the less interesting option.

Oh I know about the other endings and that's fine, they sound pretty good. I can only judge it off the ending I got as you say and that particular one was horrible.

Put about four hours into this today and so far I am really enjoying it. It's absolutely great playing an "FPS" which isn't just a linear A to B affair. You can really put a lot of thought into how you want to play the game, and - so far at least - it's been brilliant.

I am mid-way through Mission 3
rescuing Emily from the Golden Cat
, and I've been taking my time finding all of the Runes, Bones and Art pieces etc. Oh, and doing the side quests which are cool too.

It's great to see the FPS genre being pushed along like this. Also, I've not played Assassins Creed games since '2 so I don't know if things have changed, but the gameplay in this with all the options and routes the player has is what I wanted from those games. The first two at least didn't really work like that.

Anyway, it's really great from what I've played today :)

Just completed it. Good game, good ending
although I am not sure why Corvo is dead at the end?

Had High Chaos rating at the end, will go through again going for 100% stealth and zero kills.

Just completed it. Good game, good ending
although I am not sure why Corvo is dead at the end?

Had High Chaos rating at the end, will go through again going for 100% stealth and zero kills.

There are two endings, you got the "bad" one due to High Chaos.

Your spoiler will change with the low chaos ending.

luca1980

Banned
flooded district!
it's really good and the game gets better moving on.

teleport is one of greatest thing and making exploring really worth!
it's really fun going jumping from low ground to the highest

Perhaps someone could help me with an issue I've been having.
Dishonored has been randomly crashing to desktop, with little more than an error saying that windows detected a problem and tries to search for a solution, as to which it finds none.
I ONLY have this issue with Dishonored, but I just this past weekend built my new gaming PC.
Doing a google search shows a problem with CTD relating to ATI cards, but this is with a Geforce GTX 670. The game isn't very taxing, and runs flawlessly when it isn't crashing.
Is this a known problem at all?

Running Windows 7 64 bit.

Thank you!

I decided to go back and try to earn the ghost achievement, but it is seriously rough. Is there any way to know for sure how or if you've been discovered? Dudes seem to randomly start telling each other that there's a prowler or some crap and I'm not sure if they found an unconscious body or what. It's very finicky.

Labadal

I decided to go back and try to earn the ghost achievement, but it is seriously rough. Is there any way to know for sure how or if you've been discovered? Dudes seem to randomly start telling each other that there's a prowler or some crap and I'm not sure if they found an unconscious body or what. It's very finicky.

I think that hidden bodies ruin chances of getting the Ghost Achievement. Don't remember exactly.

Rufus

I've had bodies discovered on my ghost run and it didn't matter. Not sure if that's a bug or intended to work this way (I'm thinking it's intentional for unconscious guards at least). So long as they don't sound an alarm it should be fine.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ghosted throught the distillery.
Now I'm thinking if I should poison their moonshine or not. It's my second run. On the one hand Glassjaw is ok in my book. On the other hand they terrorize the neighboorhood.

And yes, I play as if I didn't know who Granny is.

Robso

Well I just finished the game and had quite a bizarre end to proceedings, I think I was on the unfortunate end of a glitch.

So I got to Havelock with Emily and they both just stood there dormant, then after I stood right next to Havelock he spotted me and so I just stabbed him and he fell into the sea, then Emily proceeded to hug me. Really weird.

I then reloaded from my last closest save to the end and it's the same outcome again except I made noise to grab Havelock's attention and he just trys to kill me. Emily again standing dormant.

Am I the only one who had anything like this?

There are only two levels left yet i can't finish it yet. I think because its one of the best games i've played in terms of level design. So good. I hope they make a sequel. By the way when is the DLC coming out?

There are only two levels left yet i can't finish it yet. I think because its one of the best games i've played in terms of level design. So good. I hope they make a sequel. By the way when is the DLC coming out?

The next DLC is out on April 16th, with a third DLC announced as well.

They also confirmed that there will be a sequel.

I just started playing this. Is it possible to stealth the beginning (prison) area or are kills a must in some situations? I'm finding it a little difficult to gauge just how much broad the enemy line of sight is.

Ricker

Man they arent kidding about calling the DunWall ''Challenges''...hard as hell,I can't finish the first stealth one yet after about 5 tries now...the only one I finished is the second one,collecting the Eggs in the mansion...thank god it was only 400 points.

Rufus

I just started playing this. Is it possible to stealth the beginning (prison) area or are kills a must in some situations? I'm finding it a little difficult to gauge just how much broad the enemy line of sight is.
You can stealth everywhere.

It takes some getting used to, but the guards don't have very wide fields of vision. Use the lean (you're invisible to them, even if it feel like your entire torso is peeking out) and mind the UI cues above their heads. You've been spotted only if they go red. They also don't go looking until all segments of the icon above their heads are white, I think. They'll usually announce when they're going to check out something suspicious.

In the prison specifically, when you just get out of your cell and see the one guard walking towards the back of the room, you can go in, take out the guard facing the right wall and drag him to the shadows or out of the room. Then hide behind one of the pillars and wait until the other guy comes back and get him, too. Or just sneak past, that works too, though that option always takes the longest, because you have to observe every patrol loop fully (or judiciously save & reload). It's a good place to gauge the limits of their awareness. They yard is good for that as well.

Keep an ear out until you get access to the power that lets you see through walls. The guards constantly whistle, mutter to themselves, cough or clear their throats to alert you to their position.

You can stealth everywhere.

It takes some getting used to, but the guards don't have very wide fields of vision. Use the lean (you're invisible to them, even if it feel like your entire torso is peeking out) and mind the UI cues above their heads. You've been spotted only if they go red. They also don't go looking until all segments of the icon above their heads are white, I think. They'll usually announce when they're going to check out something suspicious.

In the prison specifically, when you just get out of your cell and see the one guard walking towards the back of the room, you can go in, take out the guard facing the right wall and drag him to the shadows or out of the room. Then hide behind one of the pillars and wait until the other guy comes back and get him, too. Or just sneak past, that works too, though that option always takes the longest, because you have to observe every patrol loop fully (or judiciously save & reload). It's a good place to gauge the limits of their awareness. They yard is good for that as well.

Keep an ear out until you get access to the power that lets you see through walls. The guards constantly whistle, mutter to themselves, cough or clear their throats to alert you to their position.

Thanks for this, I might start it again.

Cheers.

Just finished this after buying it in the Steam xmas sale and never getting round to the game.

First time I've played a stealth game and enjoyed it. Yes I got the High Chaos ending, but I didn't murder much apart from the last level when i thought it necessary.

Very enjoyable

I've had bodies discovered on my ghost run and it didn't matter. Not sure if that's a bug or intended to work this way (I'm thinking it's intentional for unconscious guards at least). So long as they don't sound an alarm it should be fine.
I hope this is true. I just got around to playing Dishonored and am going for a Ghost/No Kill run. Seems to already be increasing the longevity of what I've heard from several sources as a short game.

Rufus

I hope this is true. I just got around to playing Dishonored and am going for a Ghost/No Kill run. Seems to already be increasing the longevity of what I've heard from several sources as a short game.
If not, you will only ever lose one missions worth of progress, since you get a summary of what you accomplished at the end, including ghosting.

If not, you will only ever lose one missions worth of progress, since you get a summary of what you accomplished at the end, including ghosting.
Is a Ghost run only a playthrough where an enemy is not alerted? What if an enemy finds an unconscious body?

Rufus

Doesn't matter for the tally at the end of missions or the achievement. It only breaks when you're outright seen (red symbols above heads, getting attacked) or cause alarms.

Theoretically though the idea is to leave no traces of your existence at all, i.e. don't even knock out the guards and leave or revert everything to the way you found it, including closing doors behind you, re-lighting torches and such. Accomplish your objective and get out, as though you were never there. The idea emerged in Thief, but Dishonored is much more lenient as far as the achievement is concerned. So long as nobody sees you, you don't cause alarms and only deal with your targets it counts as having ghosted.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I just finished the first mission...
I knocked that chick's uncle out, but she's saying he's dead. I would have done things differently had I known the game would consider him dead even though he was only unconscious.
That was lame, game is fantastic otherwise.

So I just finished the first mission...
I knocked that chick's uncle out, but she's saying he's dead. I would have done things differently had I known the game would consider him dead even though he was only unconscious.
That was lame, game is fantastic otherwise.

You have to
take his body to a safe location. If you take a look at the quest updates, it'll tell you that section isn't complete and you need to take him somewhere safe.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You have to
take his body to a safe location. If you take a look at the quest updates, it'll tell you that section isn't complete and you need to take him somewhere safe.

Dammit, I was wondering what that beacon meant. My bad then. I'm absolutely loving this game so far and since I'm basically killing everything that moves I can do that quest proper in my non-lethal run.

Dammit, I was wondering what that beacon meant. My bad then. I'm absolutely loving this game so far and since I'm basically killing everything that moves I can do that quest proper in my non-lethal run.

It probably works better to leave him when you're playing stone cold killer Corvo anyway. =P

Tsukumo

You may want to look at the mission menu since a good deal of info is delivered through guards chatter that sometimes gets lost to the player because you're doing something else. It's better to periodically check the mission clues section in the mission menu.

Massa

I'm finally playing this and I'm loving it, great game so far. I'm trying not to kill people but I'm not really reloading if it comes to that, running away usually works fine.

I just finished the mission where
you find Emily in the brothel
and it really highlights that they didn't give a damn about story. Holy cow was that lazy writing all around.

Tsukumo

I'm finally playing this and I'm loving it, great game so far. I'm trying not to kill people but I'm not really reloading if it comes to that, running away usually works fine.

I just finished the mission where
you find Emily in the brothel
and it really highlights that they didn't give a damn about story. Holy cow was that lazy writing all around.

Why?

Akainu

Just got the game. What is it installing? I've never seen something like this before. Little bits downloading super fast.

Rufus

Just got the game. What is it installing? I've never seen something like this before. Little bits downloading super fast.
In fact, bits. A whole lot of them. In the megas and gigas even. Haha. Hahaha.

Ah, OK. I found the funny, look at the funny. Lookatit.
Look, a tit. Bonus funny.

OK, now back to not being a giggly idiot: I have no idea. First of all, platform? Secondly, proobably patches?

Akainu

Another fps with no feet. It bothers me greatly.

Can you only sneak up on someone when using the sneak button? Walking slowly doesn't do anything?

Akainu

I must say. With that install at the beginning of the game I would think it wouldn't take so long to load things.

If two groups fight and kill each other cause of something I've done does that count against me?

Top Bottom