• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Really thinking about getting this. I loved bioshock and I see it gets compared to it but it also gets compared to dues ex and I couldn't get into all the stealth parts. Anyone want to help me decide.

I guess there are aspects that could be likened to Deus Ex and Bioshock. But honestly, it's a wholly distinct and unique game when compared to both of those. You don't have to play the game with stealth, and it can be equally as fun. Just bare in mind, that if you don't utilize stealth, the game ends up being a lot shorter for most players.

Tizoc

Well just beat the game...that ending was...nice but come on
Havelock was so anti-climatic, I just knocked him out...and did he kill Pendelton and Martin? That bastard...anyways my ending was the Low Chaos one which I was happy with but as is...
I really hated how I needed to rely on Dark Eye and the save-loading I kept doing every time, I'll prob. replay it again on PC, but gonna trade off my PS3 ver.
Overall aside from a few issues I posted above, I'd say I liked the game, but not enough to keep it and replay it on PS3 at least XO.

just finished the game and pretty pleased with it. I knew practically nothing about it before getting it, but ended up enjoying the game a good deal. I got the dark ending which is silly because I didn't really know about the outcomes thing until like 3 missions in. I played stealth but still ended up killing a lot of people not thinking it made a big outcome... I loved the dinner party mission, probably my favorite one.

One thing I am really displeased about is that there are 11 or 12 achievements on XBL for the game and they speak of "challenge" modes, which I figured got unlocked when you beat the game... but No, they're hidden behind a DLC paywall? I see no mention of any of these challenges in the standard game, but here are ~12 achievements or so for the standard, non-DLC game that are locked up.

Any truth to this? Sure, the DLC is what.. 400MSP, but still, disappointing.

If you have enough mana potions I find the easiest way is to use bend time, blink on top of them and sword them. When you kill one, blink out of there and wait for the next vulnerable target. I find it way too hard to hit them all with bolts and you might run out by the time you're done.

Probably did this already, but you can ride the train through it... that was how I thought was the only way. There's a rune near the beginning of the level, where the dead bodies are dropped... and numerous characters talk about people "riding the train out of there..." One thing to note is there's a wall of light right near the end of the tracks, so if you ride the train, you gotta jump off at the right time.

Good luck and... Godspeed.

Well just beat the game...that ending was...nice but come on
Havelock was so anti-climatic, I just knocked him out...and did he kill Pendelton and Martin? That bastard...anyways my ending was the Low Chaos one which I was happy with but as is...
I really hated how I needed to rely on Dark Eye and the save-loading I kept doing every time, I'll prob. replay it again on PC, but gonna trade off my PS3 ver.
Overall aside from a few issues I posted above, I'd say I liked the game, but not enough to keep it and replay it on PS3 at least XO.

I had a "high chaos" ending mostly because I screwed up 2 missions.. The Daud mission and one other early on, and it screwed me.

But, in my final mission:

Martin and Pendleton appear near the 'courtyard' of the ante-area before you go up the elevator. They're arguing with each other and Martin takes a couple of shots are Pendleton who is standing far away. While exploring, I stumbled upon Pendleton in a busted out stairway; he has 1 guard with him but I dispatched th guard easily... Pendleton gives me a short monologue and dies apparently from a stray bullet from Martin.

I approach Martin, who is unguarded, on the opposite side of this area. As soon as he spots me, he puts a gun to his throat, gives me a monologue about how they had no choice and how power got to them, etc... And then he offs himself. It was pretty good.

Havelock though is anticlimactic.. He's on the tower with Emily and when you approach him he jumps off with her, but ideally you should freeze time, blink over to them, and press X to save emily. I would have liked a bit more explanation sadly.

So, I think that Dishonored was a really solid game that came out of nowhere for me. As soon as I started playing it, the Bioshock vibe hit me: Multiple ways to approach combat, very well designed areas, great atmosphere... Also the obvious "clay doll" look to the characters from the Unreal engine, but I don't think that's bad.. just part of the engine.

Also, the story and narrative is told similarly to BIoshock, with "good" and "bad" paths, a similar wordless protagonist, and
a very similar betrayal
. That aspect of the game I spotted from the very beginning, just knowing that
those guys would turn on me and I'd become friends with the Rasputin lookalike scientist
. Similar to Bioshock, that aspect of the story was done poorly, but it was better done than Bioshock's (which really ruined the game for me).

Ultimately, though, the areas were more interesting in how you can approach them. I love reading through other people's posts where they're having difficulty in one area or another, areas that I breezed through (the poisoning the whiskey parts, I thought were very easy), but then areas that I really struggled in, like Daud's mission, some people easily breezed through those. I played very stealthy, prefering to never be seen, but I wasn't a pascifist... not really by choice, but certain parts would have been too difficult for me otherwise.

The Golden Cat and the dinner party were my favorite missions overall. Generally disliked MOST of the flooded district area because I was confused and there wasn't enough setup. Really struck me like the "ocean city" area of Uncharted 3... a mission of the game that was completely tacked on just to lengthen the game. It felt like that was so out of place, although at least it wasn't as boring as the floating city mission in Uncharted 3... You had to use new skills to defeat it. But the whole Daud thing just seemed so tacked on to me.

Overall though, really enjoyed the game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I agree, I didn't really like the Flooded District mission, but other than that the game is stellar. My personal GOTY, and I'm on a mission to get all the achievements. There's a few achievements tied to the challenge mode apparently but I'm not sure I'm getting that just yet.

Hm, I loved the Flooded District. Probably my favorite mission of the game.

The atmosphere was fantastic, there were new types of enemies to fight/avoid. Also, the non-lethal way of leaving Daud a message was really quite brilliant in my opinion. Fighting him equally so, when you have to talk to him afterwards and determine if you grant his wish to continue living or kill him. He's the one person in the game that probably truly understands Corvo, despite being the one that killed the Empress.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, I found the whalers kind of annoying to deal with, although I managed to get by them rather easily on the second playthrough and even
left Daud a message (I do agree with you that that was a brilliant way to go about it).
From what I understand the second DLC is going to be story DLC involving Daud, so that should be exciting.

DrWong

Didn't found anything and I think it's the best thread to post it. ____ if old.

According to this FR survey just published by the SNJV (Syndicat National des Jeux Vidéo), Dishonored sold more than 1.5M copies in 2 month. I guess they're talking worldwide.

Dishonored vendu à plus de 1,5 millions
d’exemplaires en 2 mois

PBalfredo

How large is the margin between low chaos and high chaos? So far I've kept the killing to pretty much a minimum (but not zero). Now I'm in the Flooded District
and I'm feeling that these assassins who killed the empress need to go. Will killing these guys make my chaos high? Also, does killing Weepers also increase chaos? One would think that cutting down on walking doomed plague vectors would help stability

Jhoan

How large is the margin between low chaos and high chaos? So far I've kept the killing to pretty much a minimum (but not zero). Now I'm in the Flooded District
and I'm feeling that these assassins who killed the empress need to go. Will killing these guys make my chaos high? Also, does killing Weepers also increase chaos? One would think that cutting down on walking doomed plague vectors would help stability

Yes killing
Weepers and assassins
does increase chaos. However, rats and fish do not. Also if rats eat the body indirectly (without using the power), it also counts as a kill.

I think you're good to go with the non-lethal run. In some cases it will lower. After doing a bit of research, as long as you hide the bodies, you're good to go. It's kind of tricky. When I did my non-lethal run, I didn't kill no one at all, hid the bodies, saved constantly, but I didn't get the Clean Hands achievement because I messed up at [spoiler[The Golden Cat because a body got discovered.[/spoiler]

I'm trying to get Sweetfx to work with this, I put all the files into the Win32 folder, turned off in game AA before this. Now when I try to launch the game nothing happens, it fails to start. Anybody had this problem?

Sullichin

Kind of surprised this thread is so dead. Just finished this game this morning after taking a pretty long break from it. I'm really glad I got back into it. I got the high chaos ending which was to be expected, as I killed a whole lot of people. I was impressed at how massive most of the levels are and how many options I had. The powers, especially blink, separated this from the myriad other stealth experiences I've had this year. I didn't get nearly all of the runes or bone charms because there were some levels I didn't feel like fully exploring or backtracking after I got certain keys etc. So, I didn't get some of the later power upgrades (possessing humans or the wind blast) but I don't really mind. It wasn't until late in the game that I got the rat swarm ability, and then I used that a lot. I loved the masquerade party mission. I gave up looking for clues as to who my target was and decided to murder everyone in the building, after winning a duel with someone outside. I might eventually do a pure stealth playthrough, but I was happy enough to use a combination of the various tools at my disposal. I thought the atmosphere was great but I didn't care at all about the story, any characters, or any of the books/notes you can read. I decided to just ignore all that for the most part and just have fun.

Picked this up on sale on Boxing Day. Went in mostly blind minus a few trailers and I'm really having a blast with this. Art style and graphics are amazing. Gameplay is diverse and tangible.

Reminds me of Deus Ex, so I wonder why I'm having more fun with this then.

REV 09

just finished this with the Low Chaos ending. End was anti-climactic. Good game overall. Looked great on pc, played well; interesting pathways through the levels with some unique choices for completing objectives. Overall kinda small in scope though. Only took me 8.2 hours according to Steam, and that was low chaos so I did sneak through most sections. Story was meh. I would like a sequel that is larger in scope and more fleshed out. Not one of the top games of 2012 for me, but I can appreciate why others might disagree.

Dresden

Thread getting bumped reminded me that I never did get the 'no kills' trophy due to some bullshittery happening on the last level. Couldn't be assed to go back.

e: editing because, I also remembered the frustration of never getting the bone charms I wanted. The 'faster strangling' charm didn't come to me until near the end of the game.

u mad

Neo Member
Think I was around 20 hours at the end. Spent a ton of time fussing about for every collectible in the levels, though.

That's not too bad. Some of the initial reports I heard were ~8 hours. Seemed pretty dang short, especially for a Bethesda title (then again, Arkane developed it and Bethesda just published it)

That's not too bad. Some of the initial reports I heard were ~8 hours. Seemed pretty dang short, especially for a Bethesda title (then again, Arkane developed it and Bethesda just published it)

It totally depends on how you play it. Some people run through it in about 5-10 hours, whereas others take 20+ hours. A low chaos, stealth playthrough is generally a fair amount longer then a high chaos playthrough. The amount you like to explore/find all of the bone charms and runes/use the heart on everybody also factors into it.

This is the kind of game I absolutely love, so my first playthrough I really took my time. Ended up being about 23 or so hours for me. Since then, I've replayed it two more times -- once for high chaos and then another low chaos to get the no kills and no detection achievements. I also spent probably 8-10 hours on Dunwall City Trials. Between playing it 3 times and Dunwall City Trials, Steam says I've played the game for 52 hours. Totally worth it to me, and I could definitely see myself replaying it again in the future.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I don't think most people will get 52 hours out of this game. That's more to do with the fact that the game really clicked for me personally, and really hit all of the right notes. However, if this it the type of game you enjoy, you can definitely get quite a few hours of enjoyment out of it.

It totally depends on how you play it. Some people run through it in about 5-10 hours, whereas others take 20+ hours. A low chaos, stealth playthrough is generally a fair amount longer then a high chaos playthrough. The amount you like to explore/find all of the bone charms and runes/use the heart on everybody also factors into it.

This is the kind of game I absolutely love, so my first playthrough I really took my time. Ended up being about 23 or so hours for me. Since then, I've replayed it two more times -- once for high chaos and then another low chaos to get the no kills and no detection achievements. I also spent probably 8-10 hours on Dunwall City Trials. Between playing it 3 times and Dunwall City Trials, Steam says I've played the game for 52 hours. Totally worth it to me, and I could definitely see myself replaying it again in the future.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I don't think most people will get 52 hours out of this game. That's more to do with the fact that the game really clicked for me personally, and really hit all of the right notes. However, if this it the type of game you enjoy, you can definitely get quite a few hours of enjoyment out of it.

Not everyone will see the value in Dishonored, but it is one of those pretty rare games that the player gets exactly out of it what he puts into it. During my initial play-through I had played through so quickly I nearly missed it: the joys and intricacies of Dunwall are hidden under an almost all-to-familiar videogame jaunt; one where the players hand is held throughout the entire duration just in case he or she decides to stray from the heavily focus-tested path (the constant present of objective markers do not help). Fortunately, I found out how deep and fun this game was after attempting, and still currently playing, a Ghost/Clean Hands run.

But that's really one of Dishonored's few, if only, significant flaw: most players will miss the point of the game on the first go around. I'd imagine I would see more players, and more publications, give this game a GOTY nod if they just sat down and didn't try to play this like they do 90% of everything else they play: just trying to "beat" it.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/high-scores-are-all-very-well-but-can-a-singleplayer-game-ever-really-be-beaten-or-finished/

(I have no idea how to insert a URL into a word or words.)

Mindman

I'm on like the 4th level now in this game, and I am totally hooked. I was disappointed at first with most everything about it, but I hung in there and I'm glad I did. The stealth, art style, frequent rewards for exploring, and (overpowered) magic make this game a real treat. Loving every second of it, best exploration/stealth game in a long time, IMO.

=Charrettizard;46387905

But that's really one of Dishonored's few, if only, significant flaw: most players will miss the point of the game on the first go around.
Eh, no? Objective markers can be turned off (I turn them on mostly at the base to find the people I need to talk to) and the game has a heavy hand towards rewarding exploration with the runes/bones/(largely useless) cash. I'm on my first playthrough and every level gets scoured.

Eh, no? Objective markers can be turned off (I turn them on mostly at the base to find the people I need to talk to) and the game has a heavy hand towards rewarding exploration with the runes/bones/(largely useless) cash. I'm on my first playthrough and every level gets scoured.

I know they can be turned off, but they are on by default and I think it is only fair that this is what the developer intended so it should go against them. And I'm glad to hear you're taking it slow, because sometimes it feels too easy, and tempting, to fly through this game at a brisk pace - a lot of that having do with how excellent the melee combat feels.

In a year that has been all about choice, The Walking Dead, it's sad to see Dishonored hardly mentioned at all; because it offers you some of the most choices I've ever seen a linear game allow, and while it's ending might be shoehorned, the decisions and choices you make for each individual level are not. This game has so much to see.

dinopoke

Here's a Kickstarter Dishonored fans might be interested. I've already posted it in the Kickstarter thread but I'll repost it here if it's alright:

For fans of stealth games and/or Dishonored, Sneaky Bastards are Kickstarting a one off physical and digital magazine revolving around Dishonored. They've already meet the target with 24 days to go but it's worth checking out for some of the later tiers, if you are a massive fan of Dishonored, as well as the possibility for more issues in the future.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dhindes/sneaky-bastards-the-stealth-gaming-magazine

a6421b59f63279d40ad9b4391ec5d6dd_large.jpg

Here's a Kickstarter Dishonored fans might be interested. I've already posted it in the Kickstarter thread but I'll repost it here if it's alright:

£60 for a physical copy of the magazine? God damn...

Anyhow; finished Dishonored last night and [near-endgame spoilers]
the section in the sewers where you swim through the ruins of the old city, with the eerie whale song as you explore on through to Granny Rags' creepy occult cave was one of the highlights of the game for me. The atmosphere was spot on, and as I was playing with objective markers off it really felt like I was uncovering some sunken, forgotten part of the city, with no idea what would I would be finding when I surfaced. Starting to see whalebones poking out of the floor as I was swiming through was really spooky after all the build up with the in-game books and hints about the whales. Great stuff.

I was so tempted to help Granny Rags, just with the hope of finding out a little bit more about what was going on there, but I was playing my Corvo as a 'guardian of Dunwall' type so she went in the furnace!

vazel

Banned
Over $20 for a digital copy of the magazine. Jeesh. I'll wait until the actual magazine is out and hope it's cheaper.

Just complete Dishonored. Steam says I spent 22 hours playing it, not too shabby. Got less and less stealthy as I went on, the game really became fun though when I let loose on killing enemy guards. Wish I just did that the whole time, actually.

Overall, very good game. Love Dunwall and the atmosphere, but I think the story was bit thin and the characters underdeveloped. Top notch gameplay though.

This game is screaming for a new game+ mode where you can re-run all the missions with all your powers unlocked- anyway to do that?

Labadal

Just complete Dishonored. Steam says I spent 22 hours playing it, not too shabby. Got less and less stealthy as I went on, the game really became fun though when I let loose on killing enemy guards. Wish I just did that the whole time, actually.

Overall, very good game. Love Dunwall and the atmosphere, but I think the story was bit thin and the characters underdeveloped. Top notch gameplay though.

This game is screaming for a new game+ mode where you can re-run all the missions with all your powers unlocked- anyway to do that?

I strongly agree with this. In the end, I stopped reading notes, etc, because despite the mood being great, I really didn't feel that the world and characters were develpoed enough. In their next game, whatever it is, I hope we get more background about the world itself.

Ambitious

I'd like to get the game, but I've no idea whether to get the 360 or PS3 version. The latter seems to have much better contrast, but also more tearing. Whereas the 360 version seems to have some blurry textures.

I'd like to get the game, but I've no idea whether to get the 360 or PS3 version. The latter seems to have much better contrast, but also more tearing. Whereas the 360 version seems to have some blurry textures.

If you're steadfast in your console allegiance, the only considerable negative would be the higher rate of tearing on PS3 - though much of this is mirrored by the 360 version during combat. But if dropped v-sync is something you can overlook, the decision may well come down to controller preference, or even your uses for the PS3's 5.1LPCM support. Either way, Dishonored easily arrives as a worthwhile proposition on any platform.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-dishonored-face-off

Oneself

Currently near the end of the game and I must say I am impressed. The atmosphere, the art, the gameplay, the controls, everything feels great. What a nice surprise!

Peace Tea

Finished Dishonored 3-or-so nights ago and got too lazy to post final impressions. So here goes...

It was probably just my mood at the time , in hindsight, but I wanted the game to end right after killing
the chief assassin guy
. After that I just sped through the game by running past everything (loot, notes, enemies) and rarely exercising caution.

The ending was a bit..... odd. For all the discipline and fortitude
Admiral Havelock
exuded throughout the game, I expected to hear something... deeper? when listing his reasons for the
betrayal
, while in his drunken stupor. The actual battle & setting was fine though.

Lastly there is
The Outsider
. I still don't know wtf he was doing in the game, as in what purpose did he serve. If he was to: provide two moral pathways, some kind of framework, or just add weight to the incoming decisions you would soon make, i couldn't see it or feel it.

Regarding the entire game though, I really liked it, and will be playing it again, sometime in the future.

Top Bottom