• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Channel Presents Gravity Falls |OT| Awesome new animated show

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally actually watched the free first episode they put on iTunes, and wow has this show changed since December.

I saw the same episode, but it was much, much shorter. About 7-11 minutes I think? There was only Dipper, Mabel, and Grunkle Stan at that point, no extra help from around the shop. A LOT of new gags too, the leaf blower kiss bit wasn't in the version I saw. In fact the one I saw had a completely different ending. And beginning too, IIRC, I don't think the journal was found in the same way. I wonder if what I saw was just the pitch episode and once it'd been approved for series they fleshed it out into a full episode?

Anyway, awesome show. Very very cool to see how the idea grew since I saw it. Still funny as hell, too, I really like the new characters.

Is it any similar to Adventure Time?

It has the same kind of off-beat, random humor that appeals to the AT crowd, but the world itself has much more structure.

In Ooo, anything can happen. Anything. Pen even said he wants AT to be like a shorts program for the people working on it, where they can just think up a story for Finn & Jake and make it.

Gravity Falls is more real. If that makes sense? It's set in the real world, the characters are real kids, they abide by all the rules of the real world, there just happen to be monsters.

But the humor is very similar. When I saw it in December I was shocked that is was a Disney cartoon. It feels very, very much like a Cartoon Network show that would fit right in with Adventure Time and Regular Show. IE, it's a cartoon, and kids can enjoy it, but it's not a kid's cartoon. (Whereas something like Fish Hooks or Phineas and Ferb are kid's cartoons that anyone can enjoy).

I mean, the show was literally pitched as "Twin Peaks for kids" by the guy who came up with it. It's definitely not typical Disney cartoon fodder.

Mistle

Animation looks great. Don't love the character design but it's not bad either. Art style is fantastic otherwise.
So glad kids still have stuff like this to watch. More often than not when I turn on a kids channel, it's either horrible emotionless "flash-tween" look, or CG that looks like it was made by people who have no concept of animation.

I still think older cartoons had much more emotion/personality in the animation, but at least this is trying.

Galang

Banned
I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a show like this. I randomly saw the first episode yesterday and I didn't expect to like it at all. It ended up being hilarious and I really love the art direction a lot. The music is also top-notch, very trippy sounding. One track even reminded me of Flying Lotus. I looked the show up immediately after I watched to see if I could watch all the episodes at once, but I was surprised it just started. This series is going to be so good!

I just hope Family Channel is going to be good for airing this show for the people in Canada. Wish the disney stream worked for us :(.

So if I heard correctly, Matt Chapman is a writer for this? Wonder if Homestar Runner's quirky humor sensibilities rub off here.

This show is indeed awesome. The animation/art style is lovely. And it's got some really laugh out loud funny bits. But in general its a humorous show. Some funny lines like "Maybe he blinks when you blink" and "My ex wife still misses me, but her aim is getting better" cracked me up.

Grunkle Stan reminds me a bit of Tommy Cooper with his fez and gravely voice.

tommy_cooper.jpg
Great_Uncle_from_Gravity_Falls.jpg

Grunkle Stan _____________________________________________Tommy Cooper_________________________________________

It sort of reminds me of a Phineas and Ferb/Dexter's Lab. Which is great. I must admit though the first episode was the best for me. Can't wait for the new episode.

Fave new show!

Belfast

Gotta love that Coolio and Larry King actually voiced the wax versions of themselves (with John Oliver as Sherlock).

Orly. The book. Also. I like the little touches. Like the fallen s from the wax episode. This show is more of a story based one.

I really like it! A nice pair of shows Disney has with P&F and Gravity Falls. Plus maybe I spent too much time with my nephews but I don't think Ant Farm is bad either....lol

somedevil

I watched it and its very good. I wonder if the 3 books represent
places, objects and creatures
in gravity falls.

Also, next weeks episode leaked online already.

jediyoshi

A little lolrandom this week. Felt like it flew in the face a bit of the first episode with Mabel originally being boy crazy. Wonder how long before a Wendy-centric episode drops.

edit: speak of the devil

Finally watched the first episode, love it, love it, love it. It reminds me of Twin Peaks in a weird way, especially the opening. I will be buying the rest on iTunes to support it!

Trin

Instantly loved this show, thanks for the recommendation!

The gnome throwing up a rainbow through the end credits of the first episode
cracked me up, but I'm a little surprised to see something like that on Disney. It has more of a Nickelodeon vibe, really.

Lijik

but I'm a little surprised to see something like that on Disney. It has more of a Nickelodeon vibe, really.

Funny you mention that. I got around to watching all five episodes today, and this show filled an Invader ZIM sized hole in my heart.

I laughed hardest at Manly Dan teaching his kids how to fish. Good stuff

I got to party with the creator of this show last night at Pen Ward's house and he is fucking awesome. I didn't actually know it was him until afterwards, though, so I didn't get to shower him with praise. He can draw like a fuckin' boss, too.

Edit: Just caught the second episode (the fishing one) and the gag with the glass fucking KILLED me. This show is incredible.

Belfast

I got to party with the creator of this show last night at Pen Ward's house and he is fucking awesome. I didn't actually know it was him until afterwards, though, so I didn't get to shower him with praise. He can draw like a fuckin' boss, too.

Edit: Just caught the second episode (the fishing one) and the gag with the glass fucking KILLED me. This show is incredible.

Fuck. That's some good company!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think the show's charming, but so far, the writing's really not as funny as a Regular Show, Phineas And Ferb, or Adventure Time. It kind of reminds me of that Kick Butowski show

tumblr_m6rx3rOZOB1r6bom6o1_500.gif

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I've seen episodes 1-4 and they are glorious...1 and 4 are better than 2 and 3...but 1 was such an amazing pilot that I'm sticking with this show for a bit.

Watch Disney app not supporing AirPlay is horseshit, though. Have to mirror which makes the viewing window a lot smaller on my HDTV than it should be (but still plays perfectly fine).

This problem is worse than cancer and needs to be fixed! /nosarcasm

Tizoc

Just watched the first 3 eps. and I am LOVING this show.
Heck 10 minutes into Ep. 1 and I am hooked.
Dipper's cool.
Mable's FRIGGIN' ADORABLE.
Soos (sp) is cool.
Grunkle Stan is awesome.

dangeROSS

I caught the first 4 episodes over the weekend. This is seems great so far. I love the idea of the location too. The dialogue is funny and well delivered. The voice actress for Mabel whats-her-name is soo good. Has anyone figured out what the deal is with the weird man with the goggles showing up in the backgrounds? Is it just a gag or part of the overall mystery aspect of the show?

dangeROSS

I guess there is all sorts if random bits thrown in the show for people to catch. From what I understand I guess 6-18 is one of the producer's birthday:
EYBKp.png

and heres some pics of the "goggle Man"
YEiyl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom