• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney XD Renews ‘DuckTales’ Ahead Of Launch, Unveils First-Look Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie

Don't you think they should sound like ducks?

If you go there you may also give -everyone- ducky voices because that's what they all are, but that'd be just silly. I for one am more than fine with the nephews having clearer voices (that's been the case in many a dub around the world for ages now)...and hell, I know it's heresy, but just for this show I wouldn't mind if Donald himself greatly lessened on the ducky speech so he could be a fuller character more easily, the way he is in the comics.

PSqueak

Banned
If you go there you may also give -everyone- ducky voices because that's what they are all, but that'd be just silly. I for one am more than fine with the nephews having clearer voices (that's been the case in many a dub around the world for ages now)...and hell, I know it's heresy, but just for this show I wouldn't mind if Donald himself greatly lessened on the ducky speech so he could be a fuller character more easily, the way he is in the comics.

I can confirm, LatAm dub used the "duck-like" voice exclusively for Donald and no one else.

I saw people walking on the coins in that preview. Calling it now, there's gonna be a joke about this in the episode.

There was already a joke about this in the original DuckTales cartoon. The Nephews tried diving into it, bonk their heads, and say "How does he do it?" or something of that nature.

Although I remember at least one episode where they were shown swimming in it too.

Boem

Don't you think they should sound like ducks?

None of the other ducks, like Scrooge or Daisy or anyone else, talks like Donald.

They've used the fact that nobody can really understand Donald as a punchline many times.

I grew up on the Dutch dubbed version but the nephews were always much easier to understand than Donald there. Looking at some English clips, that was the case there as well. Don't forget, they're Donald's nephews, not his kids, just like how Scrooge is Donald's uncle. They're Donald's sister's kids. There's no reason they should have inherited his speech patterns.

I still love this amazing Don Rosa Duck family tree. Had this hanging on my wall when I was growing up:

l_us.jpg

Damn I want to start reading some Don Rosa again. By far the best Duck artist in my eyes, doing stuff nobody else would have gotten away with. Love his rough underground art style. Carl Barks will always be king of the Ducks, but Don Rosa is easily my favorite.

Never even really cared for cartoon Donald when I was a kid. Even Ducktales. Felt like something else entirely, like a cleaned up version of the comics. So far this trailer doesn't do much for me (although I love that they finally got comic accurate clothing in the cartoons, that Donald is a part of the gang again, and that they lift direct quotes from the comics 'Smarter than the smarties!' etc).

Richie

I can confirm, LatAm dub used the "duck-like" voice exclusively for Donald and no one else.

Chócala! Grew up with that dub myself.

(although I love that they finally got comic accurate clothing in the cartoons, that Donald is a part of the gang again, and that they lift direct quotes from the comics 'Smarter than the smarties!' etc).

Something I only noticed in repeated viewings; Scrooge has Carl Barks paintings all over his walls (around 0:14 and 0:16). My faith on the staff increases...

Boem

Something I only noticed in repeated viewings; Scrooge has Carl Barks paintings all over his walls (around 0:14 and 0:16). My faith on the staff increases...

I will preface this post by saying that, yes, it's very silly to go this deep on it as a grown man who probably won't end up watching this show anyway, but...

I have noticed they're taking some new liberties with the 'comic canon' as established by Carl Barks and Keno Don Rosa. Scrooge's Money Bin being on an island instead of Killmotor Hill for example, or Donald living on a boat instead of an actual house (which was the case in some cartoons, but not the comics). Donald not having his classic 313 car. And, of course, Scrooge's extended staff like Launchpad existing (which makes sense, it's still Ducktales). None of that really matter of course - a show like this should do its own thing, and it's not aimed at someone like me anyway - but as a kid I always dreamed of a Duckburg show based entirely on Barks/Don Rosa. Especially seeing some of the Don Rosa stories adapted to the screen, but they'll never go that far. Some of the subject manner is not something I can see Disney being okay with putting on the screen, and they'll never reach the beauty of the original drawings unless they would be willing to throw a lot of money at the animation.

Those Carl Barks paintings are indeed cool though! Also fun that Webbigail has a little doll of herself in her old 90s outfit.

Edit: About never being able to see Don Rosa's coolness on screen, here's an example. One of my favorite comics he did was 'The Duck Who Never Was', where Donald is working as a cleaner in a museum on his birthday, and he's depressed because nobody remembered. He blames himself for being a loser and useless to everybody, and he wishes he was never born. While saying it he knocks over a magic lamp, and he wakes up in a version of Duckburg where Donald was, indeed, never born.

Shit gets dark.

neverlittlehelper.jpg

Little Helper is dead.

neverscrooge.jpg

Scrooge is living on the streets

Because Donald never existed the nephews ended up being raised by Gladstone instead, and turned into dumb, fat couch potatos since everything comes too easy to Gladstone and he's basically a neglecting parent.

Etc. It's pretty damn amazing and it's only Don Rosa's constant success and stream of awards which lead to Disney allowing him to continue making these amazing comics. No other Disney artists would have been allowed to do what he did (and he did a lot of these 'darker' stories, like the part in Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck where he's complicit in the slaughter of an African Village - Scrooge's darkest day). Amazingly funny, beautifully drawn, and he solidified the world of Carl Barks in a way nobody else managed. We'll never see anything else like it.

He even had a story planned as the end of his Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck epic, dealing with Scrooge's final adventure. But that's one story Disney didn't allow him to tell, so he only ended up drawing this little thing:

f2f45085c40bf0abac1360c5fa4537fc.jpg

Cheerilee

People whining about the kids are so blinded by nostalgia. The fact that the old show had them all have the exact same voice, design, and less distinct personalities was sure as hell not something I actually wanted, but tolerated. I can't believe anyone would want that, it just seems like you guys like it because you grew up with it. It wasn't a good thing that the kids sounded like Donald, one should only tolerate that kind of voice from just one character, God.

I don't think you understand the concept of twins.

Did it bother you in the Harry Potter movies that they cast actual twins for Fred and George, because that made it hard to tell them apart?

He even had a story planned as the end of his Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck epic, dealing with Scrooge's final adventure. But that's one story Disney didn't allow him to tell, so he only ended up drawing this little thing:

f2f45085c40bf0abac1360c5fa4537fc.jpg
To clarify, that's not the story behind that image. IIRC, there was an event where people were drawing art containing dialogue starting with, "Hey Daisy, whatever happened to..." and Rosa drew that. There isn't any grand meaning behind it.

Boem

To clarify, that's not the story behind that image. IIRC, there was an event where people were drawing art containing dialogue starting with, "Hey Daisy, whatever happened to..." and Rosa drew that. There isn't any grand meaning behind it.

Ah, oops, my bad. I originally found it in this magazine, which also had that one quote about how he saw Scrooge's story ending (which was a question posed to him), and he said he couldn't see him dying of old age in a bed, but rather in the belly of a tiger in some temple in a deep, dark jungle. I think I mixed those two stories up and figured there was some sort of story there.

Not sure I buy Tennant as Scrooge or having the boys speak with a normal voice, but otherwise I really like what I'm seeing. Art style looks neat anyway.

DemWalls

Etc. It's pretty damn amazing and it's only Don Rosa's constant success and stream of awards which lead to Disney allowing him to continue making these amazing comics. No other Disney artists would have been allowed to do what he did (and he did a lot of these 'darker' stories, like the part in Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck where he's complicit in the slaughter of an African Village - Scrooge's darkest day). Amazingly funny, beautifully drawn, and he solidified the world of Carl Barks in a way nobody else managed. We'll never see anything else like it.

Just wanted to also recommend Tuomas Holopainen's great album about LaToS. Beautiful stuff.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This looks really good! I'll have to keep an eye out for it. There are so many people on the voice cast that I adore.

Rymuth

Saw the video. I can see myself warming up to Tennant's voice.

The boys' voices, though, was like a knife in my ear.

I think the art looks really cool overall, but I can see how some people think it looks stiff. The only part that really threw me was the part with Launchpad at the end in the plane. I knew where they were going with the joke, and it should have been funny, but the art style really isn't meant for action scenes. No clouds rushing by or anything like that, so you don't feel any sense of speed as the plane starts to tilt.

Still looks good overall though and I'm looking forward to watching it.

I really like the artstyle. The triplets having different styles from each other is something I'm ambivalent towards, considering that sometimes them being identical is the point and the source of many jokes and plot points. I never am a stickler for voices, so they sound good enough for me.

I kinda dislike the apparent prominence of Donald, though. That teaser even has his face front and center.

Ah, oops, my bad. I originally found it in this magazine, which also had that one quote about how he saw Scrooge's story ending (which was a question posed to him), and he said he couldn't see him dying of old age in a bed, but rather in the belly of a tiger in some temple in a deep, dark jungle. I think I mixed those two stories up and figured there was some sort of story there.

There is indeed a story he wanted to tell but not allowed to: what actually happened to the triplets' parents, Della Duck and her husband.

Really not a fan of the art. It's not that it's bad but it's too simple and if they couldn't be bothered or afford to make the show look at least in line with the original and the comics (which was part of why the original show was so amazing to look at) then why bother? Really sick to death of modern cable cartoon art style. Also, no offense to the actors but the nephews sound like moronic and self aware sitcom characters. Hopefully the stories are good and maybe I'll eventually warm up to the art (I *guess* it kind of reminds me of Will Van Horn's simpler style in his duck comics) but so far all this does is make me want to watch the originals or read my Barks and Rosa collections.

Richie

I kinda dislike the apparent prominence of Donald, though. That teaser even has his face front and center.

Worst uncle ever :p

I'm wary of Donald's appearances so far, but not because I don't want more of him (hell, to me this is long overdue, was never a fan of him being a rarity in the original Ducktales) but because aside from a couple moments in the initial trailer, it seems they're taking more after Don Rosa's characterization of him (with touches of his weaker characterization in recent animation years, Mickey Mouse shorts nonstanding), what with Don looking jaded as he's driving the triplets to Scrooge's manor, pushed around by them in the boat bit, growing tired with all the adventuring in this latest promo...

Barks' Donald was a very active character and contained multitudes. He had a love for adventuring which is why he was able to star in many of them before -and after- Scrooge entered the picture. Even then he was a valuable asset in Barks' Scrooge adventures, an integral part of the team. In Rosa's stories, Donald did have his moments of worth here and there, but he was often the butt of the jokes, the slapstick magnet, the subject to unwarranted bursts of Scrooge's violence to the point of feeling doormat-ish...Which is total sacrilege to the original conception of Barks' Donald. For all the virtues Rosa had, he could really miss the boat when handling Don.

Now, this iteration of Webby is clearly a huge Donald fan, which I consider the most adorable thing in the world, but I just hope her faith is actually portrayed as being justified ; they very well could depict Donald in Rosa's loser mode and have Webby cheer for him while Don succeeds by pure coincidence. Which would be very similar to how Rosa handled Don's friendship with Pancho Pistolas and José Carioca in his Three Caballeros stories, which amusing as it could be, really robbed Donald off his virtues as an intentionally active character.

I'm very much aware I'm overanalyzing the hell of a few moments of shown footage, but hey, I love Donald to pieces and this show is a golden chance to FINALLY show the world what he's truly capable of, how versatile he can be, how he can directly contribute to the adventure at hand, instead of taking the lazy route and sticking him in reluctant mode.

(His voice has clearly been an impediment to fleshing him out more in animation, but this post is long enough as is...that, and the Mickey Mouse shorts do give him more dialogue and funny dialogue at that, so I'm hopeful)

I will preface this post by saying that, yes, it's very silly to go this deep on it as a grown man who probably won't end up watching this show anyway, but...

I have noticed they're taking some new liberties with the 'comic canon' as established by Carl Barks and Keno Don Rosa. Scrooge's Money Bin being on an island instead of Killmotor Hill for example, or Donald living on a boat instead of an actual house (which was the case in some cartoons, but not the comics). Donald not having his classic 313 car. And, of course, Scrooge's extended staff like Launchpad existing (which makes sense, it's still Ducktales). None of that really matter of course - a show like this should do its own thing, and it's not aimed at someone like me anyway - but as a kid I always dreamed of a Duckburg show based entirely on Barks/Don Rosa. Especially seeing some of the Don Rosa stories adapted to the screen, but they'll never go that far. Some of the subject manner is not something I can see Disney being okay with putting on the screen, and they'll never reach the beauty of the original drawings unless they would be willing to throw a lot of money at the animation.

Ah man, I totally get where you're coming from there. Can only hope they do some faithful adaptions of at least select Barks/Rosa stories (and more, there's been some great tales by many an author out there).

It's just a shame Glomgold seems to be scottish again, him being african is more interesting. Doe I do find it funny this is the first adaptation he appears to be fat.

As for the artstyle I kinda like it. Sorta mix of classic comics and modern animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom