• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney XD Renews ‘DuckTales’ Ahead Of Launch, Unveils First-Look Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_inline_o2igl9bry11rv4fej_540.gif

This.

They all have very different silhouettes so it really doesn't matter. Thats whats important.

Matticers

Woohoo, finally a trailer for the show. I'm good with the animation style. The only thing that is kind of odd to me is the kid's voices since they lack that Donald-like sound but I guess they'll grow on me. Also, the "our family is awesome!" line kind of made me cringe a bit. lol. It has been quite a while since I watched the original show but for some reason, I don't remember hearing lines like that in it. But maybe I'm just not remembering it very well or maybe it's the different sounding voices that is throwing me off.

Launchpad is great. Tennant seems like he does a good job as Scrooge. I don't know who's singing the theme song but hopefully it won't suck. Seems like they're staying true to the original with that which is good. I'm certainly looking forward to the show and I think it'll be great.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to get the feeling it's against federal law to make an animated series and not include Kate Micucci, Bobby Moynihan, or Kristen Schaal.

TimmiT

David Tennant is perfect as Scrooge, all of the other voices are good as well but are going to need to grow on me cause of how different they are. With the exception of Donald, who sounds the same as ever.

The animation seems pretty hit or miss though, it looks very stiff in some scenes but pretty good in others. Still, I'm excited!

Snaku

Banned
Everything is on point as fuck. Art direction, characterization, voice acting, etc. Nothing will touch my nostalgia for the original series, but this is shaping up to be a worthy update. Now get on Rescue Rangers, D.

RPGCrazied

A little off topic, but are they ever going to release the old show complete on DVD or bluray? I know some is out on DVD, but not the entire show.

Briarios

Looks awesome, I'm in ... I'd be annoyed if it was exactly like the original or if new actors just copied the old ones. The only thing I really want to remain the same is the spirit of the show.

Disney had been on a pretty good animated roll lately - both movies and TV. Rebels, Star vs the forces of evil, Gravity Falls, Phineas and Ferb -- so, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the the doubt.

Bert409

To be honest, I'm more interested if this leads to a new Duck Tales game by Wayforward than the show itself.

mr_nexus

Banned

That picture is so dishonest. First the silhouettes of all the characters are completely different but they remove that from the animation. Plus they try to make it look like that they all use the same mouth but if you watched any of the shows you would know that is not the way they draw their mouths. This is the equivalent to that dumb Dreamworks vs Pixar image.

Sophia

I am amazed at how perfect David Tennant as Scrooge works.

Only thing I don't like is the theme song, which is... meh.

Firebrand

Do Disney not have people who can draw anymore, or is this a budget issue? Everything looks so... flat.

https://artofmarcusade.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/tumblr_inline_o2igl9bry11rv4fej_540.gif?w=700This.
I don't mind the bean mouth so much, reminds me of some 80s anime or whatever. I legit thought the guy in the cap and the guy with the brown hair were the same character though, until now.

woopWOOP

Looks great to me

New voices aren't a big deal since I've only watched locally dubbed Ducktales anyway, but everyone having regular voices except for Donald feels kinda... weird

Ruflux

Neo Member
That picture is so dishonest. First the silhouettes of all the characters are completely different but they remove that from the animation. Plus they try to make it look like that they all use the same mouth but if you watched any of the shows you would know that is not the way they draw their mouths. This is the equivalent to that dumb Dreamworks vs Pixar image.

Yeah, this. When you have to draw the characters noticeably off-model to prove your point about "the CalArts look", then you've basically completely dismissed any point you might've originally had.

And besides, this new Ducktales cartoon doesn't even fit the supposed CalArts mold, which in itself is just a general animation trend just like thick and angular outlines were at one point.

Anyway, show looks real fuckin' good and I can't wait to see more.

roytheone

Man, when I heard they were rebooting this I had ZERO faith in it. But this seems to look really good, way better then I had any hope it would be!

Everything seems great, and I like the slightly more serious and focused tone they're taking...but man they really need to make the faces more expressive. I love the new style, but Huey, Dewey, and Louie's eyes seem frozen in place in the first few clips.

Hopefully that's because this is just "early" footage and they'll fix it up before it airs.

As far as the voices, I have absolutely no problem with the changes. The nephews' voices were shrill and indistinguishable from each other in the original. Plus, animation has changed a lot in almost 30 years and audiences don't generally like hit-you-over-the-head "cartoon" voices anymore.

I'm loving the new take on Webby particularly. That's a great background joke with the Webby doll being pinned to the wall. It's a subtle dig at Webby in the original, since she's a character that's probably best forgotten.

RDreamer

Looks fun, and I love Tennant as Scrooge. The other voices will take a bit to get used to.

I also like the art style though my one critique is that it could use just a dash of variable line widths. That would make it perfect.

e_i

Tennant sounds like he's having lots of fun. Perfect casting
Louie is going to be a pothead for sure. I like the new Louie.
Old Webby is DEAD. All hail the new Webby.
Launchpad sounds like the old Launchpad. Good.

UberTag

As far as the voices, I have absolutely no problem with the changes. The nephews' voices were shrill and indistinguishable from each other in the original. Plus, animation has changed a lot in almost 30 years and audiences don't generally like hit-you-over-the-head "cartoon" voices anymore.
They were largely indistinguishable from each other by design as Huey, Dewey, Louie and Webby were all voiced by Russi Taylor... who still voices Minnie Mouse today along with Sherri, Terri and Martin on The Simpsons.

The nephews and Webby feel like they're just trying to emulate the kids from Bob's Burgers. Lots of yelling and being extremely excitable to try and force the jokes. "You used to be a big deal, what happened?" is a damn funny line but the delivery, for me, robs it of its humor. I'm sure they'll grow on me, I ADORE Bob's Burgers, it just feels weird here since I'm so used to like little kid nephews and these seem to be somewhere in the tween age range.

I've always wanted the animated shows to go back to hand drawn animation. Sad to say those days are over, its much more simplified now for better or worse.

There is always something to hand drawn animation that I really like, hard to say why. Just like it more than digital art.
To clarify you are aware that it is still hand drawn, right? It doesn't matter if it's drawn on a tablet or a sheet of paper, the result is the same. A hand and a pen on a surface made these drawings. And moreover, I doubt this was animated in America, so depending on the studio that actually animated it it's entirely possible that they were sent the boards and animatics, and then they drew the animation on actual paper and scanned it to ink and color it, which is what a ton of Korean studios do as they are dragged kicking and screaming into an all-digital ToonBoom future by Fox and BentoBox.

I don't take issue with not liking the visual style but it's disingenuous as hell to say it's not hand drawn. All 24 drawings in a second of animation multiplied out by 60 then again by 22 were at some point in the pipeline hand drawn. I think what you're after is saying you don't like the digital animation and prefer traditional? Can't say I disagree with that, even though I've seen way more fluid animation out of the ToonBoom animated Bob's Burgers than a lot of other shows in recent memory. I wonder if animation programs will ever be able to capture the look of something drawn on paper and inked/painted on a cel?

Future

Surprised the nephews don't sound like kids, or like Donald, or like they used to sound. Original voice actor is still alive and kicking too, still voicing Minnie so I am surprised they didn't just use her

e_i

Surprised the nephews don't sound like kids, or like Donald, or like they used to sound. Original voice actor is still alive and kicking too, still voicing Minnie so I am surprised they didn't just use her

I like they differentiated the nephews this time. They sound distinct this time.

Sean C

Huey, Dewey and Louie having individual, realistic voices takes a bit of getting used to.

On the other hand, Webby is no longer insufferably twee, so that's a big improvement.

TreIII

I couldn't be further IN with this, if I tried.

Glad to see that they're giving both Donald and LP their shine, so that hopefully we wouldn't have to pick between the two of them.

Bring on Magica. I can't wait to see what she sounds like now.

Jazzem

Not liking the triplets being so smarmy and I wish the art style was a little...softer I guess?

But otherwise it looks like it has the humour and sense of adventure down, and Tennant's Scrooge voice is great. Colour me excited :)

this

the gif got those characters looking like off-brand knockoffs

I REALLY hope that's not how the nephews will sound beyond this show, their voices are awful.

Scrooge is great and Launchpad's line cracked me up, so maybe I can endure the nephews.

Aye

For those wondering this is what the characters actually look like:

Yep they all look horrible in very different ways. But I'm just an old fart who cannot stand the new popular crappy looking styles like this. Duck Tales feels like a step up from this, though it's still kinda flat and ugly. Webby in particular looks AWFUL.

Still Davit Tennant as Scrooge more or less rights all wrongs. And Donald as an adventurer is pretty cool too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom