• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Yeah Hydo/Aero suffers from the need 2 attacks to stun thing. It's kind of dumb they could've just made it so you can't be stunned more than once every 2 turns. As it is burning is far easy to use, far quicker to use and does more damage. Just not worth bothering with aero unless your enemies weak to it or strong/immune to fire. (Hydro works well at times because a lot of its attacks are multhit. Aero doesn't really have a lot of that and the ones they do have are really pricey in ap).

I don't feel the CC issue is a big deal. You can still CC in one turn, you just can't CC as many things unless they're packed(which air helps a lot with with Teleport and Nether Swap, but still).

Main issue is aero and hydro just don't have enough damage spells. Or well good damage spells.

Aero has Blinding Light(low damage, low range, good for the blind aura but not for damage, also doesn't shock), Electric Discharge(average damage, single target), Shocking Touch(good damage but melee range only, single target), Dazzling Bolt(3AP which is way overbudget for the damage and aoe it does) and Superconductor(3AP but does good damage, acquired late though, pbae so not the best for positionning). There's a few other spells that do damage but they don't do enough to matter(teleport doing like 20phys dmg, Pressure Spike doing like 30dmg and whatever else).

It simply doesn't have a good aoe until Superconductor which is a "tier 4" spell in the sense that's it's only available fairly late in the game(I consider tier 1 the starting spells, tier 2 the spells unlocked at lvl 4 in fort joy, tier 3 the act2 spells and tier 4 after), and the single target spells are not really great either. It's just very low damage output, and while most spells shock, there's just not enough to make it easy to shock a bunch of stuff.

Hydro is in a bit better position but similar, spells cost too much AP for the damage they do and there's too few options.

All in all, most options in these 2 schools are bad, but if you only use the good spells, you have like, 3damage spells, and they're not even that good. You have to use bad spells, and to make them work you basically rely on Elemental Affinity to reduce their AP costs to acceptable levels. Luckily for Hydro, Rain is 1AP to set an easy water surface AND debuff every enemy to increase your damage, but setting up an air surface is more annoying and mostly takes 2actions(can create a cloud with scoundrel but then you can't see anything without moving, have to get The Pawn, it's like annoying).

Meanwhile Fire alone has like 5 good damage spells and a couple of situational/meh spells.

Earth is similar to fire, has plenty of good damage spells, although the split between poison and earth is a bit annoying imo especially with poison being garbage against undead, on the other hand earth spells oil pools afflicting Slow is great. And then the synergy with Fire for even more damage.

Both air and water suffer heavily from having CC rolled into their effects and from having too many utility spells so they don't have enough options for damage.

Ryzaki009

*snipped*

I agree with all of this except the CC in one turn. You really can't. The Aero damage isn't enough to strip magical armor in one hit most of the time (Unless your'e using the source skills and even then the fire source version is better). That said Teleport and Nether Swap are extremely useful. But the rest of this I agree with. I kind of hate my Ice king spec which is a shame because that was my favorite in DOS1.

Isn't that the idea though? To make each school have an emphasis on a particular facet. Fire is going to be your go to for damage, water for healing, air for various utility uses, etc. Each school has a little bit of diversity so that a dedicated hydro can at least do some damage but its really designed to diversify the builds. Otherwise it just feels like a case of pick your favorite element.

Any tips for what I should give my rogue Sebille? She basically just has Scoundrel 1 at the moment and she's doing terrible damage. I still have a few points unallocated per character cos I can't choose. What's a good skill to pair her up with?

bati

About to start this today. How are Rangers/Necromancers? Any build tips/not-so-obvious "must haves"?

Pet Pal, Persuasion (both on same character ideally) and Thievery are must haves, rest are nice to have as well.

Necro is a good secondary spec for summoners or melee.

Any tips for what I should give my rogue Sebille? She basically just has Scoundrel 1 at the moment and she's doing terrible damage. I still have a few points unallocated per character cos I can't choose. What's a good skill to pair her up with?

Poly.

I agree with all of this except the CC in one turn. You really can't. The Aero damage isn't enough to strip magical armor in one hit most of the time (Unless your'e using the source skills and even then the fire source version is better). That said Teleport and Nether Swap are extremely useful. But the rest of this I agree with. I kind of hate my Ice king spec which is a shame because that was my favorite in DOS1.

I didn't mean on first turn. You can CC in one turn, just not on first. That's the whole point of the armor system though, that you don't pump your wits high enough on everyone so you take first turn and then CC the entire enemy opposition, because once you CC you can generally chain CC pretty well(even with the current system). Forcing you to first remove armor means CC comes in later and not as your de-facto opener.

My aero/hydro mage play first always cause I dumped most points in wits, she has terrible int too so that doesn't help damage, but I just do buffs/teleport/netherswap or whatever, then my fire mage will start hitting some shields and generally on 2nd turn the first thing I do is get a shock(freeze works so so when stuff is standing in seas of flames).

Works well after that too but yeah it's not good for 1st round CC, most classes aren't tbh. Only one that's good at it was warrior before the balance patch they did today where you could 1AP move(the pawn or phoenix etc), then 1AP reactive armor which since it's so stupidly balanced would rip every armor of stuff around you, and then knockdown or do whatever. Since they nerfed Reactive armor to 2AP though it's a lot harder I think unless you can reach stuff with The Pawn alone, or go stand in oil/poison with Elemental Affinity.

I honestly haven't found it to be too much of an issue, it's just not as easy as in the first game. Past the first turn I CC a lot of stuff. Granted, it's mostly my warrior that does CC but still. Love Medusa Head aoe CC. The aero/hydro mage is mostly for buffs, armor regen spells(the single and aoe ones) and only occasionally stun/freeze. If there were better damage spells I'd probably build her differently but there's just not enough in these schools so I kinda gave up on her doing damage, but I like the utility it provides and I like having the other mages free to spam fire spells and oil earth spells everywhere without having to buff too much.

Xeteh

Putting points in to Warfare will increase your damage more than points in Dual Wield according to some reddit thread. It was posted a couple pages back but apparently Dual Wield's bonus is additive but Warfare is multiplicative.

A-V-B

Hey, I've just ran out of charges for my one and only
purging
wand during Act 2.
Am I kind of screwed against shriekers and things that need purging?

After seeing RPG Codex thanked in the opening screens I thought maybe I should head over there to see what they thought of the game......queue ivemadeahorriblemistake.gif

Seems like twice a year I get an inkling to check something out there only to instantly regret it.

Xeteh

Hey, I've just ran out of charges for my one and only
purging
wand during Act 2.
Am I kind of screwed against shriekers and things that need purging?

If you've got the Tyrant's Helm you can use that, it has charges.

I have poly on my spellcasting Fane main but Poly seems useful for every single class.

I have default Ifan
Geo/Poly Fane
Scoundrel Sebille
Knight Red Prince

What are good skills for these? I'm not sure of what's a good mix at the moment. I'm fighting level 4 dudes now with basically all default skills.

Oh my god, entering Driftwood in Act 2 hit me with a second wave of overwhelming choice paralysis. It takes me a bunch of brief play sessions to get through this feeling, I can't progress, I just walk around and look at things because I can't tell how everything is interconnected yet and I fear closing off a path I didn't know existed....

Taruranto

I didn't mean on first turn. You can CC in one turn, just not on first. That's the whole point of the armor system though, that you don't pump your wits high enough on everyone so you take first turn and then CC the entire enemy opposition, because once you CC you can generally chain CC pretty well(even with the current system). Forcing you to first remove armor means CC comes in later and not as your de-facto opener.

My aero/hydro mage play first always cause I dumped most points in wits, she has terrible int too so that doesn't help damage, but I just do buffs/teleport/netherswap or whatever, then my fire mage will start hitting some shields and generally on 2nd turn the first thing I do is get a shock(freeze works so so when stuff is standing in seas of flames).

Works well after that too but yeah it's not good for 1st round CC, most classes aren't tbh. Only one that's good at it was warrior before the balance patch they did today where you could 1AP move(the pawn or phoenix etc), then 1AP reactive armor which since it's so stupidly balanced would rip every armor of stuff around you, and then knockdown or do whatever. Since they nerfed Reactive armor to 2AP though it's a lot harder I think unless you can reach stuff with The Pawn alone, or go stand in oil/poison with Elemental Affinity.

I honestly haven't found it to be too much of an issue, it's just not as easy as in the first game. Past the first turn I CC a lot of stuff. Granted, it's mostly my warrior that does CC but still. Love Medusa Head aoe CC. The aero/hydro mage is mostly for buffs, armor regen spells(the single and aoe ones) and only occasionally stun/freeze. If there were better damage spells I'd probably build her differently but there's just not enough in these schools so I kinda gave up on her doing damage, but I like the utility it provides and I like having the other mages free to spam fire spells and oil earth spells everywhere without having to buff too much.

Is putting that many points in Wits even worth? I mean, given how the turns work in this game I don't think going second is a big deal, either way enemies are going to teleport/move out of range and turn order will always be you, them, you, them.

I do agree that thunder has too few damage spells, though stun and frozen are really powerful compared to fire/poison since it prevents the enemy from acting altogether.

How do you cure the rat that always lies? I've already cured the one that tells the truth, but this one dies with everything I do.
I don't think you can? Fane said he wanted to die to me.

Burt

Welp, super annoying glitch.

I took an optional boost from a character in (late Act 3 location)
the academy
that sacrificed some of my Constitution for extra Intelligence (or maybe Wits), and it apparently lowered my Con enough that my shield got unequipped because I no longer met the stat requirements. Now, no matter how high I raise my Con, I still can't put the shield back on because "Constitution not high enough". Can't even equip a Level 4 shield.

Don't take the stat boosts from the spirits in
the Academy

Edit: I was able to get a shield back on at 7 Con higher than the shield's requirement. I think the amount of Con that I sacrificed was 7, so either my stat sheet is just telling me wrong stuff or requirements got way out of whack from the boosts.

ValfarHL

How is the spell book situation after Fort Joy? Should I be wary going wild trying different stuff with all the spell books I ste...ehm..buy?

Ryzaki009

Yeah but in that case fire still does it better. That's my point.

Shock gets wiped by burning though in my experience so if you're using fire and shock you're pretty much nullifying the shock.

Also the warrior CC is stupidly easy compared to the magic one. With warrior CC its break armor = instant CC. Only magic requires this two hit BS. Even the Medusa head is kind of BS because it has a aura effect which means the second magic armor breaks it'll probably apply and it doesn't get overridden by other environmental effects.

I'm trying to access the
Forbidden Library within the Academy
at the end of Act 3 where it has as switch, tow levels, an some relic that turns. I followed the ghost and laid down one of the correct items on the spot and yet the shit still shocks me. Am I missing something here?

I'm trying to access the
at the end of Act 3 where it has as switch, tow levels, an some relic that turns. I followed the ghost and laid down one of the correct items on the spot and yet the shit still shocks me. Am I missing something here?

Yeah I sorta gave up on that too lol. But
once you get the blue force field down you can just teleport in that room

Zesh

Respecced my Rogue to a Ranger, and I think I need to bump the difficulty up to Tactician. It's kind of absurd; she's one-shotting enemies with the high-ground bonus. Regularly does about 1K damage at level 12 with 2-AP abilities. Scoundrel really needs some more damaging skills; the utility is pointless when you could just be killing enemies instead.

Sou Da

Respecced my Rogue to a Ranger, and I think I need to bump the difficulty up to Tactician. It's kind of absurd; she's one-shotting enemies with the high-ground bonus. Regularly does about 1K damage at level 12 with 2 AP abilities. Scoundrel really needs some more damaging skills; the utility is pointless when you could just be killing enemies instead.

What are the not shit Huntsman skills?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Think my act 3 quest is bugged: Almira related

I have both pieces of the sworn breaker but there is no option to give it to her?

But it spoiler and I can't get onto it?

It's a waypoint.

Zesh

What are the not shit Huntsman skills?

Barrage is always good; Ballistic Shot is good if you're at range (so almost always); Sky Shot is good if you need the high-ground bonus; Ricochet and Marksman's Fang are good if you can leverage their AoE (or if you need to bypass armor in the case of the latter); Tactical Retreat offers some utility as well.

I also have Adrenaline from the Scoundrel tree, and the Executioner talent for more AP. Ability-wise, I have Warfare maxed and I'm working on Huntsman right now. For attributes, I have every point in Finesse.

Yeah I sorta gave up on that too lol. But
once you get the blue force field down you can just teleport in that room

Apparently you can just have a character stand in it and it will work, so dumb. ANYWHO, I just completed Act 3 and back on my ship, looks like there's an Act 4 I'm about to tackle woop woop. Well depends, I'm calling it Act 4 anyhow. Fucking Malady is badass, just saying.

Sou Da

Honestly there are not a lot of shit Huntsman skills that I have encountered so far but I am currently level 11 so YMMV. Ifan fucking wrecks shop so far in my playthrough...

Man I'm level 4 and this last bit of Braccus' vault is fucking rough.

Jag

Barrage is always good; Ballistic Shot is good if you're at range (so almost always); Sky Shot is good if you need the high-ground bonus; Ricochet and Marksman's Fang are good if you can leverage their AoE (or if you need to bypass armor in the case of the latter); Tactical Retreat offers some utility as well.

I also have Adrenaline from the Scoundrel tree, and the Executioner talent for more AP. Ability-wise, I have Warfare maxed and I'm working on Huntsman right now. For attributes, I have every point in Finesse.

Nothing in memory?? My ranger hits like a wet noodle at level 10. Maybe I'm not specced right.

Zesh

Nothing in memory?? My ranger hits like a wet noodle at level 10. Maybe I'm not specced right.

Yeah, nothing in Memory, Wits, or Constitution. My Ranger is built for pure damage, so I just have Huntsman abilities, Adrenaline, and Phoenix Dive at the moment.

Your damage output is also heavily dependent on your weapon. Lucky Charm and pickpocketing should give you a steady flow of upgrades.

sadblob

I'm about to leave Act 1 but there are 2 quests in my journal that I'm not sure how to finish (if they can be finished in this act): The Cursed Ring (do I have to put it on?) and The Arena of Fort Joy (I've won the battle and spoke to everyone but the journal still says I should talk to Thola).

Any tips?

JMY86

I would absolutely make sure your Wayfarer/Ranger attacks from high ground whenever possible. My Ifan has +70% to damage while attacking from high ground. This can make all the difference in the world...

Man I'm level 4 and this last bit of Braccus' vault is fucking rough.

You might be underleveled. I was almost level 6 when I got out of Fort Joy.

I'm about to leave Act 1 but there are 2 quests in my journal that I'm not sure how to finish (if they can be finished in this act): The Cursed Ring (do I have to put it on?) and The Arena of Fort Joy (I've won the battle and spoke to everyone but the journal still says I should talk to Thola).

Any tips?

I don't think the arena quest ever shows as completed in your log.

Maximo

I'm trying to access the

Not a helpful response but I believe I just got my rogue to open it.

sadblob

You might be underleveled. I was almost level 6 when I got out of Fort Joy.

I don't think the arena quest ever shows as completed in your log.

Oh...

Well, I put on the ring
and I'm assuming I need to cast bless to remove the curse, just need to restore some source points

Also, do I have to talk to Garreth before leaving Act 1? Where is he?

HeavenlyE

Loving it so far but one thing that really disappointed me while on fort joy is
when stumbling upon judge orvidand is about to suck the soul out of an elf prisoner I snuck around and attacked him but he immediately turns the prisoner into a silent monk and we eventually all die. So my second attempt I teleported the prisoner out of the circle to save her thinking this was a clever enough idea, but instead she just slowly...walked back into the circle for no reason and it happens anyway.
so to people further into the game does this happen often where it seems like some things are just scripted and will bend the game in an unrealistic way to get to that outcome

Hey guys. So I'm in fort joy and i have found all but one companion that were on the boat. I'm at max party size and I was wondering if you can pick up the other party members when you leave and if asking them to leave the party is bad. Right now I have the red prince, beast and Fane

Hey guys. So I'm in fort joy and i have found all but one companion that where on the boat. I'm at max party size and I was wondering if you can pick up the other party members when you leave and if asking them to leave the party is bad. Right now I have the red prince, beast and Fane

Lohse and Ifan should be near the front gate right in front of the Lucian statue

Ever since I visited the ship for respec a couple hours ago, the BGM is looping weirdly. For example, when I'm in some area (other than the ship), the area's BGM kicks in initially like normally. But after a few seconds, the ship BGM overlaps it and then it reverts back to area BGM.

Top Bottom