• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

sadblob

How do you steal from the merchants in the Driftwood square? It feels like no matter where I put myself and which NPC I distract I can't sneak.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
How the hell do you beat the
Voidwoken fight
in HM? Party manages to kill it, but his minions either freeze-shock-stun each one of my guys for several turns and then kill them one by one

danthefan

Accidentally ended up in (ch1)
Fort Joy basement
. Have run into a battle I simply can't win, and can't see any other way out. Well this is just great.

J4g3r

How do you steal from the merchants in the Driftwood square? It feels like no matter where I put myself and which NPC I distract I can't sneak.

Have you got an undead party member?

Remove your mask when there's no guards about and the merchant will run out of the square - That's where you can trap them in a conversation with another party member, then pickpocket with another.

Jisgsaw

My melee backstab Sebille is tearing up fools in act one by the mid-way point on classic. Her movement and skills Means she's always stabbing someone. Can't say I feel going for daggers seems underpowered compared To the alternative.

Well, there are two issues: ennemies that are back to a wall or an otherwise unreachable back (happens every so often, and then your damage is not very good), and survability, as you're constantly in melee mode. Archer also has the possibility to do elemental damage (i.e. magical) via elemental arrows, if I'm not mistaken, which is quite a plus.
I'll try switching my fane as ranger tomorrow, see if his damage output increases.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Im thinking about picking this up after seeing how well its being received, but I havent played any other Divinity games and was under the impression that the first Original Sin was more of a hack-n-slash Diablo style game, rather than a rpg in the vein of Baldurs gate or Pillars, which is what I usually go for. From what I have read it seems pretty heavy on story, but how does it compare to the aforementioned in terms of dialogue, choices, companions, etc?

Lanrutcon

Im thinking about picking this up after seeing how well its being received, but I havent played any other Divinity games and was under the impression that the first Original Sin was more of a hack-n-slash Diablo style game, rather than a rpg in the vein of Baldurs gate or Pillars, which is what I usually go for. From what I have read it seems pretty heavy on story, but how does it compare to the aforementioned in terms of dialogue, choices, companions, etc?

Totally wrong.

PoE and D:OS are the same kind of game. One focuses gameplay, the other focuses story. D:OS 2 focuses both.

My dorf is looking fly.

SfJ1deg.jpg

Jisgsaw

Ehm, Original Sin games are definitvely not hack'n'slash, they have turn based combat...
Can't comment on your question as I haven't played those games (yes, lynch me), but so far for D:OS2, the writing is good, the characters are also good (not great), and the story is interesting, but nothing to write home about. At least it's far better than the first one on these points.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Totally wrong.

PoE and D:OS are the same kind of game. One focuses gameplay, the other focuses story. D:OS 2 focuses both.

Ehm, Original Sin games are definitvely not hack'n'slash, they have turn based combat...
Can't comment on your question as I haven't played those games (yes, lynch me), but so far for D:OS2, the writing is good, the characters are also good (not great), and the story is interesting, but nothing to write home about. At least it's far better than the first one on these points.

Ok, seems like I completely misjudged the series. Happy to be wrong here, going to pick this up.

sadblob

Have you got an undead party member?

Remove your mask when there's no guards about and the merchant will run out of the square - That's where you can trap them in a conversation with another party member, then pickpocket with another.

Awesome, it worked perfectly!

Feeroper

I kickstarted this game but have yet to actually play it - looking forward to digging in.

How well does it handle with a controller? I'm tempted to play it on my couch with the Steam Link.

Burt

And beat wooooooh!

End game tip if you are after achievements

After you beat the last boss, save the game right at the question asking you what it wants you to do that way you can reload and get all 4 different achievements.

EDIT: all my rarest achievements are now divinity lol
http://steamcommunity.com/id/plbelanger

Congrats!

I'm, err... stuck in Act 4. I'm pretty sure I did everything out of order, and now I have no idea where to go. Any tips?

I killed the dollmaster before I found out about the cake having dolls in it to ask him, I've raided the first floor of Kemm's vault but can't get into the far back room,
I can't poke around in Ahru's room because the paladins throw me straight into prison (although I did manage to get his diary out the first time), and I can't pass the Path of Blood. And I just got the key and permission to go into Ahru's room, but because I had previously lockpicked it, the Paladins are still there and won't let me do anything despite.. having permission.

So, yeah, I feel like I need a reset button on the act.

Congrats!

I'm, err... stuck in Act 4. I'm pretty sure I did everything out of order, and now I have no idea where to go. Any tips?

I killed the dollmaster before I found out about the cake having dolls in it to ask him, I've raided the first floor of Kemm's vault but can't get into the far back room,
I can't poke around in Ahru's room because the paladins throw me straight into prison (although I did manage to get his diary out the first time), and I can't pass the Path of Blood. And I just got the key and permission to go into Ahru's room, but because I had previously lockpicked it, the Paladins are still there and won't let me do anything despite.. having permission.

So, yeah, I feel like I need a reset button on the act.

Spoiler
Basically to progress to the end you need to get the source amulet from the toymaster and scroll out of the locked desk in toymasters house top floor...I just killed toymaster and took it off him lol. I just guessed the password to the desk. Just save right at the desk and reload if you guess wrong cause it will kill you. Apparently there is a note on toymaster with hint to password but I didn't get that it seemed then you go to that path of blood quest statue and continue. You have to fill the source amulet btw to progress past the statue which is easy from killing all the puppets that have source on them.

fb8697d88d55e06a0d68bccd42fa7b5d.png

That's Goddamn right... more people are playing D:OS2 than...
PAYDAY 2
Warframe
Football Manager 2017
ARK
Rocket League
& TF2

CRPGs have come a long way and now they've finally finally hit mainstream success.

Trickster

How do you get into Gareth's
childhood home
? Even after being tasked with
going in and cleaning out the monks, the paladin's at the door won't let me in
because I can't pass any of the checks

Burt

Spoiler
Basically to progress to the end you need to get the source amulet from the toymaster and scroll out of the locked desk in toymasters house top floor...I just killed toymaster and took it off him lol. I just guessed the password to the desk. Just save right at the desk and reload if you guess wrong cause it will kill you. Apparently there is a note on toymaster with hint to password but I didn't get that it seemed then you go to that path of blood quest statue and continue. You have to fill the source amulet btw to progress past the statue which is easy from killing all the puppets that have source on them.

Ah thanks. I thought I had picked up the scroll before, I definitely remembered the password, but I must've reloaded at some point and not gone back for it. Didn't know he had anything to do with the PoB anyway, so I had originally just assumed it was trash.

/facepalm

Does the amulet just fill up from killing stuff or is there something I have to do?

How do you get into Gareth's
childhood home
? Even after being tasked with
going in and cleaning out the monks, the paladin's at the door won't let me in
because I can't pass any of the checks

Hm I had no problem getting past...iirc you have to persuade them? Maybe toss some points into that?

Ah thanks. I thought I had picked up the scroll before, I definitely remembered the password, but I must've reloaded at some point and not gone back for it. Didn't know he had anything to do with the PoB anyway, so I had originally just assumed it was trash.

/facepalm

Does the amulet just fill up from killing stuff or is there something I have to do?

It fills the same way you fill it for yourself. Once you equip and start giving yourself source you will see the character will mention it filling up and tell you when it's filled.

Trickster

Hm I had no problem getting past...iirc you have to persuade them? Maybe toss some points into that?

I mean I'm failing it even though i have over 30 points in wits, seems kinda dumb. I shouldn't have to go and respec just t obe able to clear stat checks, even more so when one of seniors have specifically tasked me with going into that building

Burt

It fills the same way you fill it for yourself. Once you equip and start giving yourself source you will see the character will mention it filling up and tell you when it's filled.

Awesome, thanks.

It came with one charge on it, and wouldn't start absorbing Source until I drained it down to 0... which took two casts for some reason.

Sentenza

Second act, facing Mordus.

I'm completely torn on the option that was given to me:
Should I eat the voidwoken heart or not? I can vaguely guess the former is the "chaotic evil" option, but I don't feel like I have enough elements to weight the consequences for both.

So torn, in fact, I'm paralyzed on this choice since yesterday night. I'm playing again now and I'm struggling to move forward.
The way the entire conversation was worded makes me feel like the game is hinting at "Yeah it's bad, but a necessary evil". I wonder if I'm not being tricked on doing something really, REALLY bad.

Trickster

I'm fairly certain when it comes to persuasion, the str/int/wits/fin points dont matter, its more of the persuasion level itself.

I have 2 points in that, should be enough unless the devs thought it made sense to dedicate a character to persuasion for even more mundane checks

justjim89

How do I put
Magister Sang
out of his misery? Attacks don't work.

Edit: Nvm. I'm an idiot. Even dying men asking to be quickly killed have super high armor apparently.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So I found an exploit/bug in an act 4 boss fight.

When fighting Adramalik if you quicksave and reload after he transforms into a demon, his health is swapped back to his human hp values. Kinda ruined the fight but oh well.

Orca

I'd really love some tutorials on the Game Master mode. Anyone have a good site for them? I'd rather have writing, not JUST youtube videos...

So I found an exploit/bug in an act 4 boss fight.

When fighting Adramalik if you quicksave and reload after he transforms into a demon, his health is swapped back to his human hp values. Kinda ruined the fight but oh well.

Haha I was wondering about that. He had hella health/armor at first and I saved part way through just so I wouldn't have to redo just in case then I reloaded cause someone in my party died and I wrecked him

Second act, facing Mordus.

I'm completely torn on the option that was given to me:
Should I eat the voidwoken heart or not? I can vaguely guess the former is the "chaotic evil" option, but I don't feel like I have enough elements to weight the consequences for both.

So torn, in fact, I'm paralyzed on this choice since yesterday night. I'm playing again now and I'm struggling to move forward.
The way the entire conversation was worded makes me feel like the game is hinting at "Yeah it's bad, but a necessary evil". I wonder if I'm not being tricked on doing something really, REALLY bad.

Can't really answer you without spoilers. Do note you can keep the item in your inventory and that's there's multiple Source Masters in Act 2 with varying moralities/alignments.

Finally beat the oil void fight.

RIP framerate

Taruranto

It's really nothing like Diablo, it's pretty much a '90 cRPG in 2017.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Started the game last night and picked Fane as my main and made him a Battlemage. Played a couple hours and now today at work I've been regretting it a little. I think I might re-roll tonight but I'm looking for advice on what Origin party to roll with and how to spec them out.

Maybe something like:

Fane - Rogue
Lohse - Wizard / caster /cleric / healer of some kind.
Red Prince - Fighter?
Ifan? Sebille? I really want the pet talking perk but would like an Elf as well.

Basically any advice for a fun and effective party comp of four Origin characters would be really appreciated!

I never played the first game. Who's this Braccus Rex fella everyone keeps talking about?

Game-wise, he was a main boss in D:OS1 and his fight was brutal.

Lore-wise, he was a Sourcerer King who used his powers to rule the land and commit horrendous experiments to further his research into Source itself.

Sentenza

Can't really answer you without spoilers. Do note you can keep the item in your inventory and that's there's multiple Source Masters in Act 2 with varying moralities/alignments.
Unless it's a MAJOR spoiler I would almost welcome it at this point. Not the details maybe, but just a hint of what sort of consequences I should look for.

About the bolded sentence... I really can't spot it in my inventory?
What does it look like? I saved just before the fight and I'm moving on in a save where I refused to eat it (also, I killed the bastard, because frankly he seemed beyond any redemption).

Unless it's a MAJOR spoiler I would almost welcome it at this point. Not the details maybe, but just a hint of what sort of consequences I should look for.

About the bolded sentence... I really can't spot it in my inventory?
What does it look like? I saved just before the fight and I'm moving on in a save where I refused to eat it (also, I killed the bastard, because frankly he seemed beyond any redemption).

Oh I just assumed, my bad. For that fight
I didn't encounter the Voidwoken part as I CCd the boss down to death for him unable to shapeshift into that form
. however I pretty much eat every bodypart with my elf that I find. In Act 4 atm and haven't had any story issues, just memories and nice puzzle pieces to figure out the overarching narrative.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
So what are the hot party comps that people are liking?

Pre-made class or roll your own PC?
Which companions are the faves so far? I'm leaning toward, Sebille & Lohse, and then undecided on the two others. Is it basically a given that you should use an origin character at your PC?

As usual these games give me the most paralysis around character creation and party composition.

Having seen much of the story now, I will strongly recommend people either play as Fane or put him in the group. He seems pretty tied in with the story.

Which companions are the faves so far? I'm leaning toward, Sebille & Lohse, and then undecided on the two others. Is it basically a given that you should use an origin character at your PC?

As usual these games give me the most paralysis around character creation and party composition.

So far I have:

(Red Prince) Sword/Board melee with poly and fire
(Fane) Inquisiitor/TwoHand melee with necromancy
(Custom) Necromancer, dual wands, with priority in necro/summon and a bit of Aetho for Teleport+NetherSwap
(Sebille) Ranger with Poly for Chamelon/Wings

I love all these characters, Fane is a must for how integral he's part of the overarching story and mystery. Sebille is a tragic character with a gentle personality, and Red Prince is a misunderstood lovable noble. Ultimately my party is morally gray and selfish but still have their moments of 'good' when needed. Rolling with a custom character is legit, but that's my preference really. In Act 4 (the last Act I believe) and I don't feel I've missed out on anything narrative-wise in what I've done so far.

Beat the game today. Party was:

Custom - Summoner
Red Prince - Fighter - sword and board
Ifan - Ranger
Lohse - Enchanter

Sentenza

Oh I just assumed, my bad. For that fight
I didn't encounter the Voidwoken part as I CCd the boss down to death for him unable to shapeshift into that form
. however I pretty much eat every bodypart with my elf that I find. In Act 4 atm and haven't had any story issues, just memories and nice puzzle pieces to figure out the overarching narrative.
Did the same.
But the "thing" I'm talking about doesn't seem to be a physical item, it's mentioned just in the dialogue with him after you beat the guy.

And since the benefit of doing as he suggests seems to be very good
(one additional source point for the entire party)
, I'm just wondering if the same doesn't go for the aftermath (some shitty side-effect or consequence).

I never played the first game. Who's this Braccus Rex fella everyone keeps talking about?

Even in the first game, everyone talked about him in the same way because he was dead a while before the events of the first game. He's basically the "Mad King" character used in a bunch of fantasy setting, got a taste of power, became crazy, started killing and torturing and all the bad things, got more and more power, until he was eventually killed. In the first game there's some idiots reviving him and you kill him again, it's not even a big thing really, other than the fight being pretty challenging without the right skills. So it isn't even really a reference to the first game and more something with the general lore of the setting.

Did the same.
But the "thing" I'm talking about doesn't seem to be a physical item, it's mentioned just in the dialogue with him after you beat the guy.

And since the benefit of doing as he suggests seems to be very good
(one additional source point for the entire party)
, I'm just wondering if the same doesn't go for the aftermath (some shitty side-effect or consequence).

I do know that some Source Masters have side effects if you absorb from them. For instance one Source Master can have you slay another Master in the area, and another Source Master will take away your Pet Pal talent if you had it.

kevyward

I am able to recruit all the party members I come across in Act 1 and then pick the ones I want in my party later on?

Choices...

Talents

Banned
So is it just me or are summoners pretty broken? My mate is playing one and the damage he does it absurd, not to mention he does magic damage as well as physical.

Top Bottom