• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity Original Sin 2 review thread

Scuffed

Excellent reviews. I want to play the previous one first.

Honestly I wouldn't bother because you might get mired in it and by then lose interest in playing the sequel which is a much better game. This one takes place like 1200 years after the first one so there is basically no connection at all. I would jump right into this one because imo it is far superior to the first in pretty much every way.

Rhoc

FWIW, the voice acting they added to the first game in the expanded edition is really good. Maybe not quite at the same level as the voice acting in OS2 but impressive nonetheless.

Oh nice never knew they added that. Thanks for the heads up maybe I check it out someday but I think I have my hands full with this one for quite some time.

Honestly I wouldn't bother because you might get mired in it and by then lose interest in playing the sequel which is a much better game. This one takes place like 1200 years after the first one so there is basically no connection at all. I would jump right into this one because imo it is far superior to the first in pretty much every way.

Yep,i think it's actually better to play this first and then go to the first one if the dos thirst keep coming.

How would I know if I'd be able to run this? I'm a total idiot when it comes to PC gaming. I don't think I have the graphics card for it. Intel HD Graphics 530

Definitely surprised by the reviews! I have it, and I just started - a couple of hours in. Liking it a lot, but not sure about the greatest RPG ever stuff being bandied about. We'll see how it goes once i get beyond a few hours.

KorrZ

Oh dear - an RPG is forcing the player to make a decision that they may feel terrible about either way! Heavens no! :p

Yeah, it's hard to say without knowing the details but generally if a game is leaving me paralyzed with indecision regarding a choice that's a good thing for me.

Durante

How would I know if I'd be able to run this? I'm a total idiot when it comes to PC gaming. I don't think I have the graphics card for it. Intel HD Graphics 530
I just tested it on a laptop with HD Graphics 620 (a bit slower than 530). On the very low preset, it's playable at a solid 30 FPS (with the in-game FPS lock) at 1600x900.

(Note that this is a ultraportable, so if you are talking about a desktop CPU it probably does better due to much higher power limits)

I just tested it on a laptop with HD Graphics 620 (a bit slower than 530). On the very low preset, it's playable at a solid 30 FPS (with the in-game FPS lock) at 1600x900.

(Note that this is a ultraportable, so if you are talking about a desktop CPU it probably does better due to much higher power limits)

I might be okay then. Hmmm. I have an i5 and 8GB of RAM, both of which seem to good. Anything else I need to take into consideration? I guess I could just buy it and get it refunded if it doesn't work. Steam's refund policy seems pretty liberal.

Durante prefers RTwP to turn-based...

F0AE2lS.gif

Bookoo

Where is the cheapest price to get this game?

Don't see many deals on it yet although it only $45 bucks and the amount of content in the game is pretty crazy.

I don't think I have even finished the first act yet and probably put 10-15 hours into it. already. I did start over, but various things did happen differently so it felt new.

nameless_joe

Neo Member
My guess is you won't be seeing this on PS4 until 2018 earliest. Assuming it comes (though given it's current success, it's likelyt o make the jump).

But you know guys, if these types of games are somethign you crave, there's a simple solution for you: Get a PC. You don't need to spend $800 for one that runs this game and similar games. You can build a budget gaming PC for $300-$400.

Problem is, i don't use a pc for anything...
Not gonna speed 300 € for one game. But im patient. I can wait for the ps4 edition.
Hope you guys have fun in the meantime.

Signed; a very proud belgian

There's no retail version, so no foreign keys, so Steam is the cheapest place to get it.

Don't see many deals on it yet although it only $45 bucks and the amount of content in the game is pretty crazy.

I don't think I have even finished the first act yet and probably put 10-15 hours into it. already. I did start over, but various things did happen differently so it felt new.

Thank you I will get it on Steam. Everyone is praising this game so much and judging by pics and videos it looks really cool

Anno

The RTwP vs. turn based vote that happened for Numenara was pretty close to 50/50 I thought. With how that turned out maybe some people even converted to the side of the righteous.

Lister

Banned
Problem is, i don't use a pc for anything...
Not gonna speed 300 € for one game. But im patient. I can wait for the ps4 edition.
Hope you guys have fun in the meantime.

Signed; a very proud belgian

Well that's the thing.. is it ONE game, really? If this game is up your alley, the PC is home to some of the best CRPG's, decades of games in the same vein, many not avialable on consoles.

Anyway, just a recommendation, I know some people get angry at the mere suggestion that they should give PC gaming a shot.

Lister

Banned
The RTwP vs. turn based vote that happened for Numenara was pretty close to 50/50 I thought. With how that turned out maybe some people even converted to the side of the righteous.

RTwP has so many possible advantages over turn based combat. But I do think it's harder to get right than turn based combat.

todahawk

Can't wait to try 2. I just bought the first one on sale and was pretty quickly struck at how it reminded me of Ultima VII. Completely sucked in.

Bookoo

Thank you I will get it on Steam. Everyone is praising this game so much and judging by pics and videos it looks really cool

Yea, sort of the same for me.

I heard so many people praising the first one and decided to check this one out a few days before it launched.

I was never a huge fan of this kind of gameplay, but so far it's been a blast and easy to recommend.. I talked all my friends into buying it so we can try out co-op.

RTwP has so many possible advantages over turn based combat. But I do think it's harder to get right than turn based combat.

As much as I like the premises and universes of Tyranny, I can't get to understand rtwp. It just feel like turn base but you loose part of your time for not deciding rapidly enough

Yea, sort of the same for me.

I heard so many people praising the first one and decided to check this one out a few days before it launched.

I was never a huge fan of this kind of gameplay, but so far it's been a blast and easy to recommend.. I talked all my friends into buying it so we can try out co-op.

Cool I have friends that also purchased it and are having a blast!

Lister

Banned
As much as I like the premises and universes of Tyranny, I can't get to understand rtwp. It just feel like turn base but you loose part of your time for not deciding rapidly enough

That's where the pause comes in.

The main advantage in RtWp is that movemment is more dynamic and can lead to some really challenging moments when in a good set piece combat engagement. On top of that it allows you to adapt to the pace of combat as you go, this is a big one for me as combat pacing will vary between encounters AND within an encounter.

For less hectic segments, you can do a lot less pausing, for a more challenging spot, you can do more. With turn based, it doesn't matter if you're fighting a dragon and three death knights, or 5 skeletons, combat is still going to move at the same pace. This leads to wasting a ton fo time going through the motions on trash mobs, or doing cleanup after the most challening part of the encounter is already over.

Or what Anno says below.

Anno

I think a lot of people (myself included) like it for basically the inverse of that notion. It's effectively turn based when I need it to be and much faster when I don't. I've found that basically every turn based combat system suffers to some degree from the slow pace of combat.

Plus it's just fun to be able to fiddle around with everyone at once rather than waiting for their turn.

I love turn based provided that the game doesn't overload you with trash encounters. What I love about the OS series is that the combat isn't just never ending waves of enemies as you move forward a feet. The battles all feel unique and strategically placed.

RTwP works great if you going to have lots of enounters because you can dispense with the easier battles very quickly but really dig and take a lot of time on the major set pieces.

Honestly Tyranny's combat is kind of half baked. Some interesting ideas but not really fleshed out. Combat felt kind of like an after thought.

I far preferred the system in Pillars and it looks like Pillars 2 is making a lot of smart improvements to make it even better.

That's where the pause comes in.

The main advantage in RtWp is that movemment is more dynamic and can lead to some really challenging moments when in a good set piece combat engagement. On top of that it allows you to adapt to the pace of combat as you go, this is a big one for me as combat pacing will vary between encounters AND within an encounter.

For less hectic segments, you can do a lot less pausing, for a more challenging spot, you can do more. With turn based, it doesn't matter if you're fighting a dragon and three death knights, or 5 skeletons, combat is still going to move at the same pace. This leads to wasting a ton fo time going through the motions on trash mobs, or doing cleanup after the most challening part of the encounter is already over.

Or what Anno says below.

Interesting, thanks you for the breakdown, after this one I will give another chance to PoE, I always wanted to play it but the combat system felt wrong.

Lister

Banned
Don't get me wrong, while I really, really like RTwP, games like D:OS2 remind me that turn based combat can be done really, really well too. Then again games like Torment: Tides of Numenera also show that can be done pretty poorly, as can rela time!

It just so happens that many of my favorite RPG's are real time with pause games: BG series, Dragon Age: Origins, Pillars of Eternity, Neverwinter Nights series, and severla others.

spad3

Sleeper hit. Did not expect this to be as good as it is. Graphics are amazing, animations are top-notch. Dialogue is all voice acted, choice and consequence is massive. I love it.

This year has some epic games so far holy crap.

Horizon Zero Dawn
Zelda BotW
Nioh
Nier Automata
Persona 5
Injustice 2
Tekken 7
Mario+Rabbids
Knack II
Destiny 2
Metroid: Samus Returns
Divinity: Original Sin II

The rest of this month still has
Cuphead
Starfox 2

And we still have the big holiday push to go with
Middle Earth: Shadow of War
Gran Turismo Sport
South Park: TFBW
Fire Emblem: Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey aka Game of the Year 2017 aka Game of All Time
Assassin's Creed: Origins
Wolfenstein II
Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon
Star Wars Battlefront II
Skyrim VR
Xenoblade Chronicles II

I mean, out of all of these epic games, which one are we even supposed to nominate as runner up to Game of the Year?

I knew D:OS2 was looking good, but am shocked at just how effusive these reviews are in their praises. Though it's annoying that the Mac version is still MIA with no announced date.

It's also so refreshing to see a good CRPG that is turn-based and true to its tabletop roots. Having gotten into Critical Role recently, the amount of freedom in this game feels like the perfect compliment.

Regarding the Game Master mode, does this allow for publishing of campaigns for others to play?

Mash83

First game was my GOTY, I really want to wait for this come out on consoles but I also really don't want to wait.

Ahh, Ill probably have to double dip on this one.

Kudo

Sleeper hit. Did not expect this to be as good as it is. Graphics are amazing, animations are top-notch. Dialogue is all voice acted, choice and consequence is massive. I love it.

This year has some epic games so far holy crap.

Horizon Zero Dawn
Zelda BotW
Nioh
Nier Automata
Persona 5
Injustice 2
Tekken 7
Mario+Rabbids
Knack II
Destiny 2
Metroid: Samus Returns
Divinity: Original Sin II

The rest of this month still has
Cuphead
Starfox 2

And we still have the big holiday push to go with
Middle Earth: Shadow of War
Gran Turismo Sport
South Park: TFBW
Fire Emblem: Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey aka Game of the Year 2017 aka Game of All Time
Assassin's Creed: Origins
Wolfenstein II
Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon
Star Wars Battlefront II
Skyrim VR
Xenoblade Chronicles II

I mean, out of all of these epic games, which one are we even supposed to nominate as runner up to Game of the Year?

Yeah, it's going to be hard to choose.

Never did I expect that Baldur's Gate would be surpassed like this, this is something to celebrate as I was starting to lose hope in recent CRPG genre releases.

StereoVsn

Yeah, it's going to be hard to choose.

Never did I expect that Baldur's Gate would be surpassed like this, this is something to celebrate as I was starting to lose hope in recent CRPG genre releases.
Now, now, let's not get crazy just yet :). However D:OS 2 is an amazing game and Larian deserves all the possible praise for it. Oh and for combat for a game like this where proper tactical skill and spell placements and combos matter, IMO, turn-based is better. It allows for a better game flow vs constant pausing.

Top Bottom