• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity Original Sin 2 review thread

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
That feeling when a mate gifted you a steam key for this and the DLC, and you just remember now when you see this hyper review thread.

Installed now and didn't even know I owned it yesterday: life is amazing :D

GenericUser

Wow, this game turned out to be even better then expected. Larian cementing themselves as a AAA tier rpg developer. Wonderful, just wonderful.

Can't play it atm, because I don't havr a capable of right now, but it's good to know this gem exists. Feelsgud

So far, it definitely is.

If anything, this game makes PoE look a lot more half-assed.

I don't think PoE was half assed, Larian is just firing on all cylinders. In so happy this game is doing well. I want this Larian to be able to create games forever. I wonder if they'll stick to crpg for the next or what.

xuchu

Calling it now, Polygon is going to give this a 6. Oh well, glad other outlets can recognise what a great game this is.

patapuf

Calling it now, Polygon is going to give this a 6. Oh well, glad other outlets can recognise what a great game this is.

Going from the review in progress, i don't think this is going to get a poor score from them. Not as high as others maybe, but not everyone is going to fall in love with the game.

Regardless of the score, the reviewer describes the strenghts of the game well.

Staf

I just wish more people knew about this series - especially on consoles. The first is probably one of the best games on PS4.

get

Sentenza

Having the first Divinity Original Sin as my personal game of the year in 2014 I wasn't exactly surprised hearing this sequel is great as well, and STILL the more I'm playing it the more impressed I am with his quality.

Entering the second act, it's immediately apparent they weren't kidding about their goal to make this game a massive jump in size and scope from the previous one.
This is really starting to feel like "the Baldur's Gate 2 of the franchise".

Durante

Having the first Divinity Original Sin as my personal game of the year in 2014 I wasn't exactly surprised hearing this sequel is great as well, and STILL the more I'm playing it the more impressed I am with his quality.

Entering the second act, it's immediately apparent they weren't kidding about their goal to make this game a massive jump in size and scope from the previous one.
This is really starting to feel like "the Baldur's Gate 2 of the franchise".
It's the Baldur's Gate 2 of CRPGs.

Widge

I'm really up for this. I wouldn't have gone anywhere near it before until I found out that it has the twin benefits of local couch co-op and being a controller enabled game.

Good to see this is getting the love. Holding out for console.

Larian are great, solid games and idiosyncratic stylings and approach.

Saganator

I've been in the mood for an isometric RPG. I was conflicted between Tyranny, revisiting PoE (only played it for a couple hours), or Divinity Original Sin 2. Watched some gameplay videos of Divinity 2 Original Sin and made my decision to get it. Wow, super glad I got it. I love all the different ways a quest can be completed, how detailed the world is, the writing, and voice acting are all top notch. I started on classic difficulty and had some issues with it, but I kept trucking through it, now I'm getting the hang of things, and it feels so good and satisfying.

Give us switch version...Godamnit !

Switch port begging for every game is getting old. Have you watched any of the gameplay videos? Do you really think a Switch is capable of pulling it off? They'd have to do a massive amount of work to get running half decent on a Switch.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've been in the mood for an isometric RPG. I was conflicted between Tyranny, revisiting PoE (only played it for a couple hours), or Divine Divinity 2. Watched some gameplay videos of Divine Divinity 2 and made my decision to get it. Wow, super glad I got it. I love all the different ways a quest can be completed, how detailed the world is, the writing, and voice acting are all top notch. I started on classic difficulty and had some issues with it, but I kept trucking through it, now I'm getting the hang of things, and it feels so good and satisfying.

You mean Divinty Original Sin 2. Divine Divinity 2 exists as well, and it is a pretty awful game.

danthefan

I don't think PoE was half assed, Larian is just firing on all cylinders. In so happy this game is doing well. I want this Larian to be able to create games forever. I wonder if they'll stick to crpg for the next or what.

Yeah, I enjoyed PoE but this is just better, it feels better, it looks better, it's just better.

Great to see it reviewing so well. Hope it sells well enough to guarantee a third game.

You mean Divinty Original Sin 2. Divine Divinity 2 exists as well, and it is a pretty awful game.

Divine Divinity and Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga are two separate games.

And Divinity II is an awesome game. It's super charming, great humour and some very interesting mechanics. For me it is one of the better action RPGs out there.

Another reminder that Larian is absolutely awful at coming up with good game titles.

Chaos17

Good game but I'm gonna wait a little because lot of quests are broken if you don't do it in the right other (you can check the Steam forum technical thread) and it's kinda break my immersion. But it's THE c-rpg to pick up, even the first 1 was better than Pillar of Eternity for me back then (because damn their battle system is so enjoyable, you can"t stop loving the combos with elements).
But if you want a game focused 100% on Role Play, play Witcher serie instead.

Adnor

Banned
So far my skeleton lizard has had sex with:

- A skeleton from a race millennia old.
- A lizard prostitute with an undead fetish
which was a trap to rob you but my skeleton lizard was so damn charming he helped me in the fight
- French-kissed a giant spider.

I'm only starting act 2.

GOTY.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Divine Divinity and Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga are two separate games.

And Divinity II is an awesome game. It's super charming, great humour and some very interesting mechanics. For me it is one of the better action RPGs out there.

Another reminder that Larian is absolutely awful at coming up with good game titles.

Ugh sorry I agree, Divinity 2 was great. I meant Beyond Divinity, which in order of release was Divinity 2... so I was confused.

Staf

So far my skeleton lizard has had sex with:

- A skeleton from a race millennia old.
- A lizard prostitute with an undead fetish
which was a trap to rob you but my skeleton lizard was so damn charming he helped me in the fight
- French-kissed a giant spider.

I'm only starting act 2.

GOTY.

Bioware has met it's match lol!

Bl@de

Haven't read the reviews yet. One question: Does it still have a lot of comedy? Loved combat etc. in D:OS but I never liked the cheap puns and wacky humor :/ I prefer dark humor like Fallout New Vegas or no comedy at all in RPGs.

Ugh sorry I agree, Divinity 2 was great. I meant Beyond Divinity, which in order of release was Divinity 2... so I was confused.

i don't blame you, lol.

Haven't read the reviews yet. One question: Does it still have a lot of comedy? Loved combat etc. in D:OS but I never liked the cheap puns and wacky humor :/ I prefer dark humor like Fallout New Vegas or no comedy at all in RPGs.

It does have a lot of humour but the story is more serious this time around. It's a large improvement over the first game.

There is still humor, yes. But it's situation appropriate (pet pals and the like). The game is serious when it needs to be, which is most of the time with this story.

City 17

PoE2 is going to be the BG2 of PoE.

[TW]Stone

Tripwire Producer
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the new composer? Saddened that the original composer from part 1 passed away :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I think the music is kinda bland personally. It's fine generic fantasy fare, but it doesn't have that creative unexpected flair you got from Kiril. Nothing about the games soundtrack screams "Divinity" to me, it could be any game.

A-V-B

I think the music is kinda bland personally. It's fine generic fantasy fare, but it doesn't have that creative unexpected flair you got from Kiril. Nothing about the games soundtrack screams "Divinity" to me, it could be any game.

There are a few tracks that have stood out for me. When they were on the
ship
at the end of act 1 and shit was going down, the score got really, really good.

yuraya

IGN gave it a 9.6

Game is really amazing. I am about 20hrs in so far and haven't experienced anything like since the first. Its so addicting and so immersive. Larian did it again <3

lefty1117

Gold Member
What a time to be an RPG fan! POE was great, this one looks like it will be legendary, we have POE2 in development (which will surely be impacted by DOS2 in a positive way) and there are other RPGs like The Bard's Tale IV on the horizon that people don't even know about. Wasteland, Planescape, it's just been a great last couple of years.

sflufan

Banned
IGN gave it a 9.6

Game is really amazing. I am about 20hrs in so far and haven't experienced anything like since the first. Its so addicting and so immersive. Larian did it again <3

I will cackle my head off in glee if a crowd-funded, turn-based CRPG from an independent studio manages to earn GotY from a "major" website like IGN.

Adnor

Banned
I will cackle my head off in glee if a crowd-funded, turn-based CRPG from an independent studio manages to earn GotY from a "major" website like IGN.

Well, Gamespot gave GOTY 2014 to Shadow of Mordor in PS4 and XBO, and also gave it overall GOTY, but D:OS got PC GOTY even tho SoM also was released on PC, so D:OS was the actual, secret GOTY.

Top Bottom