• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

I'm using Witch's charm spell. Can't remember where I got it though so it might have been a lucky drop....

Vendor spell in Cyseal iirc, it's a common one, and definitely a strong one. Summons are more reliable since no resists and they last longer, but charm is a win win since any damage done to your charmed mob helps you kill them once charm breaks and it directly reduces enemy damage while increasing yours.

Summons and charm are definitely the key to winning fights easily, other than prefight preparation/massive grenade usage.

Nyx

Yay, beat
Evelyn
on my 2nd try last night. A combination of charm arrows, oil and Jahan's teleport spell did the trick.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm level 10 now and I think I should've put more points into speed in general. I would win way more situations if I just had that one more move to dish out. But maybe then I would miss health or damage, who knows.

Annubis

I'm level 10 now and I think I should've put more points into speed in general. I would win way more situations if I just had that one more move to dish out. But maybe then I would miss health or damage, who knows.

You can craft rings with +SPD if you want to test how it would help you out.
As for health, the only reason I see to get CON would be that you cap AP each turn and want to increase your maximum AP.
Otherwise, you are much better served by getting gear with bonus HP.

Enjoyment for this game has completely dried up since reaching Lucella Forest. Everywhere I go I'm met with enemies above my level. The game seems really badly designed in this area. I'm level 8, the main questline thread (find the
witch
) has me run up against level 11 mages with seemingly nowhere else to go. I can't sneak by the trolls to get to the
initiation
, I can't find the
mines
to do the quest there. The story has stopped making sense and my quest log has an absurd amount of vague quests open I don't know how to progress. Not happy.

Miker

You can craft rings with +SPD if you want to test how it would help you out.
As for health, the only reason I see to get CON would be that you cap AP each turn and want to increase your maximum AP.
Otherwise, you are much better served by getting gear with bonus HP.

What's the crafting recipe? I tried pixie dust + lucky rabbit's paw + ring kit, but the ring didn't give +SPD.

ced

I know this is embarrassing but I started a new game with 2 man party (lone wolf) on explorer mode, it's pretty fun.

Gsnap

Man, this game is kind of great. It's blowing every rpg I've played lately out of the water (Well, with the exception of bloodborne, but that's kind of a different scenario). I played Dragon Age Inquisition. Hated it. Played Witcher 3. Didn't hate it, but certainly wasn't floored by it. There's no way either of those games would make their way onto my game of the year list. But this game is really ticking all the right boxes. The combat is great, so many options, lots of depth. The way various elements and objects interact leads to a lot of fun scenarios. There's secrets around every corner. It's the very beginning of the game and I'm solving an ever-evolving murder mystery. Actually solving it. Not just turning on "detective mode" and walking between glowing objects while my character figures out everything on their own. I've got to talk to people (who never give me all the information), make my own decisions based on how I personally deduce things, and if I screw something up I have to find other options on my own. There's no skyrim-esque marker telling me exactly where to go every step of the way because there's always just enough information to keep me on the right track. I love it.

Nyx

Man, this game is kind of great. It's blowing every rpg I've played lately out of the water (Well, with the exception of bloodborne, but that's kind of a different scenario). I played Dragon Age Inquisition. Hated it. Played Witcher 3. Didn't hate it, but certainly wasn't floored by it. There's no way either of those games would make their way onto my game of the year list. But this game is really ticking all the right boxes. The combat is great, so many options, lots of depth. The way various elements and objects interact leads to a lot of fun scenarios. There's secrets around every corner. It's the very beginning of the game and I'm solving an ever-evolving murder mystery. Actually solving it. Not just turning on "detective mode" and walking between glowing objects while my character figures out everything on their own. I've got to talk to people (who never give me all the information), make my own decisions based on how I personally deduce things, and if I screw something up I have to find other options on my own. There's no skyrim-esque marker telling me exactly where to go every step of the way because there's always just enough information to keep me on the right track. I love it.

+1

So far this is my GOTY.

Durante

There were a lot of RPGs released these past few years that don't hold your hand to a ridiculous extent.
Primarily on PC though.
I'm happy to see that there are still people who appreciate that.

Nyx

I sincerely hope this game sells enough on consoles for other publishers to think : ''let's bring our cRPG, RTS, simulation game to consoles too.''

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They have chosen quite the busy time of the year, though. It reviewed better than all the other giant releases on console this month, but I don't think it made the biggest splash on gaming sites. It's kind of crazy how I got the EE for free on PC, too, they obviously put a lot of work into it and I can only hope this will be a success for Larian.

moniker

Man do I love this game. What I don't love is when I, after an especially hairy encounter where I leveled up, assigned points to the wrong character (because I'm stupid) without saving before. Oh well, more fun combat for me.

I'm also surprised how well this plays with a gamepad considering what kind of game it is.

Burt

Enjoyment for this game has completely dried up since reaching Lucella Forest. Everywhere I go I'm met with enemies above my level. The game seems really badly designed in this area. I'm level 8, the main questline thread (find the
witch
) has me run up against level 11 mages with seemingly nowhere else to go. I can't sneak by the trolls to get to the
initiation
, I can't find the
mines
to do the quest there. The story has stopped making sense and my quest log has an absurd amount of vague quests open I don't know how to progress. Not happy.

I ran into this exact problem on my first run when the game initially released. You're missing an area. It's hidden. Probably a bit too well, considering you're in the same pickle I hit. Hopefully the 'Hold A to search" functionality will make it a bit easier for you. But yeah, regardless, I think it's actually harder to maintain story cohesion in Act 2 and beyond than it is to break it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Man do I love this game. What I don't love is when I, after an especially hairy encounter where I leveled up, assigned points to the wrong character (because I'm stupid) without saving before. Oh well, more fun combat for me.

I'm also surprised how well this plays with a gamepad considering what kind of game it is.
It works really well and so did XCOM, another turn-based game. Almost feels like nobody ever really tried it before and that's why it's not as common on consoles, because it's definitely a viable control scheme.

witch
initiation
, I can't find the
mines
I'm at the exact same point and I'm level 10. Maybe you missed something?

Tenck

witch
initiation
, I can't find the
mines

Have traveled in the snow yet? Sounds like you're missing that area.

If you're 8 in Luculla, you missed a bunch of stuff in Cyseal, it's not really about not picking the right way. Luculla early stuff is 10-11. The game kinda assumes you do most of the stuff, if you skip large areas you'll be quite a bit behind. Notable easy to miss area in Cyseal would be Black Cove.

AcAnchoa

Yesterday I killed
King Boreas
in Hiberheim and put an end to every quest I had in that place, and I must confess with two rage quits in the process. Once I figured a way to
tear down the statues and lure him to the bridge outside it was just a matter of keeping up with his summons
. If I remember correctly I'm now done with this map, I didn't like it a year ago and I didn't like it this time either.

witch
initiation
, I can't find the
mines
The game punishes you for being underleveled, sometimes too much, and level 8 in Luculla Forest is being two levels down with respect to the encounters for the first things you have to do there. Go back to Cyseal, finish exploring that map and complete as much quests as you can.

got me a delicious bug on 2 of my 3 saves where one of my characters can't have gold at all. If you pick up a chest the character with it can't have gold no matter what you do as it's put in the chest for some stupid reason even if the chest is locked

Annubis

got me a delicious bug on 2 of my 3 saves where one of my characters can't have gold at all. If you pick up a chest the character with it can't have gold no matter what you do as it's put in the chest for some stupid reason even if the chest is locked

Patched with the latest version and the one before that.

Got his recently and have been enjoying it. I love how the spells interact with one another. Got stuck in the observation thing with the time lady for like 30-45 minutes. Was looking for an exit, didn't realize I could just go to the map and fast travel LOL. I also LOVE the battle/fighting system.

I never bothered with RPGs for pc due to having a shitty desktop, but now I have a decent budget one. Can you guys recommend some more RPGS like this one? Mainly ones where your decisions matter, nice spell systems, very story rich, or have a battle system like this one. It can fit one or all the criteria. Was browsing things on steam and seems like Wasteland 2 and Age of Decadence could seem nice.

Durante

Got his recently and have been enjoying it. I love how the spells interact with one another. Got stuck in the observation thing with the time lady for like 30-45 minutes. Was looking for an exit, didn't realize I could just go to the map and fast travel LOL. I also LOVE the battle/fighting system.

I never bothered with RPGs for pc due to having a shitty desktop, but now I have a decent budget one. Can you guys recommend some more RPGS like this one? Mainly ones where your decisions matter, nice spell systems, very story rich, or have a battle system like this one. It can fit one or all the criteria. Was browsing things on steam and seems like Wasteland 2 and Age of Decadence could seem nice.
Those are good choices, though each succeeds at different things. For example, I can think of very few games that do choices and consequences as well as AoD.

Depending on how comfortable you are with a RtwP (realtime with pause) battle system
(the best type of battle system)
, Pillars of Eternity could be another great choice.

Shadowrun Dragonfall / Hong Kong are not as decision driven, and feature a less involved battle system, but are very story-rich high-quality RPGs in one of the best settings of all time.

One good thing is that all of these games run well on a mid-range system!

Yeah I'll echo that I"m having a lot of fun. I probably shouldn't have started my experience on tactician until second play through, though things are kinda of starting to click.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Checked all my bags and containers, no luck. I also don't seem to be able to offer money anymore on the trade screens. Which is rather annoying.
If you used it, then one character should have learned the skill and the book should be gone.

didn't know you could
let both of the guys die and not get a blood stone
early in the game with Evelyn on first interaction and miss out on the trigger for a quest

Sarcasm

I have three smelly items but I don't have Jake's. I can talk to the dog but I can't give him items.

What do I do? I can't find Jake's item (google is being useless).

Those are good choices, though each succeeds at different things. For example, I can think of very few games that do choices and consequences as well as AoD.

Depending on how comfortable you are with a RtwP (realtime with pause) battle system
(the best type of battle system)
, Pillars of Eternity could be another great choice.

Shadowrun Dragonfall / Hong Kong are not as decision driven, and feature a less involved battle system, but are very story-rich high-quality RPGs in one of the best settings of all time.

One good thing is that all of these games run well on a mid-range system!
Decadence is up next then, followed by Pillars. Then I'll decide between W2 and the Shadowruns. Thanks for the recommendations.

Finally got around to finishing this, they changed a bunch of stuff at the end like they said. Lots of fairly tedious stuff though. And as I kinda expected, I killed last boss on the first round, no tactician change that I could see. Tactician was quite a letdown overall, it started really good but it feels like they got bored redoing every encounter and just stopped after the first few fights. There wasn't much of a difference.

Very much looking forward to Divinity OS2 whenever that's ready, so many interesting changes.

Nyx

This game man!

After finishing up the murder mystery questline I was almost lvl 7 and went through the eastern exit of Cyseal, killed some wolves, leveled up, walked a bit more and then met
some ''Madman'' dude...

Holy shit! My whole party was dead within 2 turns lol.

This game man!

After finishing up the murder mystery questline I was almost lvl 7 and went through the eastern exit of Cyseal, killed some wolves, leveled up, walked a bit more and then met
some ''Madman'' dude...

Holy shit! My whole party was dead within 2 turns lol.
ha that fight is actually so easy and fun
as long as you got someone to cast Rain

Fox1304

Just started the game, and loving it already. The absence of hand-holding and the possibilities offered are just so refreshing. Read a scroll in a bag I found, and it adviced me to combine two shitty items ... BAM Blue Dragon Wand ! Arrived in town to see a boat burning and 10 men trying to extinguish the fire... Rain Spell ... BAM Reputation +1, Reputation +1, Reputation +1, Reputation +1.
The combat is strategic without being too much, using the environment is really nice, the graphics and sounds are good enough ... I think I'll enjoy my stay with this game. Can't wait to try coop.

Gsnap

Ok,
Raddagoth
is driving me nuts. I imagine my best bet against him is to do some setup before the fight, maybe make a rain puddle and try to get him stunned before the get-go, but it's crazy tough. So many enemies, so many attacks that knock me over or curse me or charm me or stun me. And they're all strong. And if I do kill the enemies he just makes more. geeeeeeeeez.

Decado

What is the best ui to use for comfy couch gaming? I have steam controller now or 360 controller. Is the text bigger using the console ui?

epmode

What is the best ui to use for comfy couch gaming? I have steam controller now or 360 controller. Is the text bigger using the console ui?

The text is far larger in controller mode.

While I love the controller SEARCH function, I prefer the mouse and keyboard UI. Not sure how well it would work with a Steam controller though.

Erheller

Ok,
Raddagoth
is driving me nuts. I imagine my best bet against him is to do some setup before the fight, maybe make a rain puddle and try to get him stunned before the get-go, but it's crazy tough. So many enemies, so many attacks that knock me over or curse me or charm me or stun me. And they're all strong. And if I do kill the enemies he just makes more. geeeeeeeeez.

I threw a frost grenade at him before the fight started and immediately froze him. Oops.

Ok,
Raddagoth
Yea just don't fight him until your almost about to level up to 7. That way you get free healing mid fight

Top Bottom