• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DK3713 - Square Enix Private Show 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zilch said:
As was mentioned earlier, this show seems to revolve around Kitase/Nomura projects exclusively.
Oh. Well that would explain the really unnecessary name DKS3713. Still leaves me pretty down not to see it.

Kinan

Airkiru said:
Oh, I certainly remember it being at E3, but I didn't know they announced it there as well. Didn't they announce it and then show a trailer at a different event, or am I confusing this with something else? :p

Both trailers for FF13 and FFv13 were shown:

http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6149412

2:02 Final announcement! For PS3! E3 is so damn exciting sometimes. What is it?!

FFXIII director Toriyama.

FINAL FANTASY XIII. FINAL FANTASY XIII. They pulled a serious bait and switch on us. Sword-and-gun-wielding heroine who looks like Yuna, flipping her way around a high-tech, futuristic world. No idea what it was until the end when that NAME popped up. Yoshinori Kitase directing! This is the guy behind all the best ones--VI, VII, VIII, X. Be still my heart.

2:08 Sorry, I jumped the gun--Mr. Kitase was merely presenting. Motomu Toriyama will direct the game. And apparently FFXIII isn't the only game coming out of this universe--there's a, uh, mobile game too. Oh. It's Final Fantasy Agito XIII.

Now it's Fabula Nova Crystallis--"the new tale of the crystal" in Latin. They're big on the Latin today. Whoa, wait, another new game? Another PS3 game?! Final Fantasy Versus XIII? They're emphasizing that in Latin, versus means "to change direction." This is a Tetsuya Nomura game, and he's taking the stage now.

2:17 Nomura is providing more details. The CG movie we just saw, featuring a spiky-haired character (natch) squaring off against machine-gun-wielding soldiers, was created by the Advent Children team, but the game itself will be made by the Kingdom Hearts team, and will feature "extreme action elements." He says "bonding" will be the primary theme of the game.

2:20 The conference draws to a close with a comment from Hashimoto that this should demonstrate Square Enix's commitment to next-generation gaming, but that it's "only the beginning." A final movie showcases the name Final Fantasy XIII, as if each new installment in this mega-enormous series is now a franchise unto itself.

Square Enix creative force Nomura.

Finally, Mr. Wada has retaken the stage. "How did that grab you?" Laughter and applause. Some more commentary on SE's commitment to supporting the next gen. Speaks more about the "synergy between products" being a proven formula with Compilation of FFVII. Looks like they're taking the same tack with FFXIII.

Some more info on FFXIII (can't type fast enough!): The game was begun by the FFX team for PS2, but the team was then derailed to make last year's FFVII PS3 tech demo. They were so happy with the hardware, they decided to then shift development to the new platform. Apparently the game will run on the "White Engine" and will feature the most technologically advanced civilization ever featured in a Final Fantasy. The storyline will center on "those who resist the world." Yeah, OK.

Good times.

Acosta

duckroll said:
The 3rd Birthday is not only a highlight of the show, but also the 3 in the title of the event. So no, it's not canned either.

Ah, that makes perfect sense, didn't know PE was called "3rd Birthday". So yeah, something we didn't know, maybe a kind of mmo for mobiles?

biocat

Autumn Thread said:
Well it might be 'dick' since it's Nomura we're talking about but who knows.

Speaking of which, anyone else intending to go? J-Gaf meet up would be nice. I propose we Gaijin Smash our way into the closed cinema and record direct feed trailers for the internet.

I'm planning on going, but it's invitation only and the invitations are distributed by a drawing.
I don't know how many of us will actually be going even if we want to.

nelsonroyale said:
oh come on, I swear if they show the same trailer...even Im going to forget about this title until its in the shops

I find myself less bothered by the prospect of anything FFXIII related, unless the trailer a) has something new which isn't just more CG and b) is made publically available.

However I will be interested in hearing impressions of the playable games, and I mean really interested. So even if FFXIII yet again fails to deliver this event won't be a total blow out for me.

soul

Himuro said:
Wasn't this supposed to be FFXIII's year? Why the lack of updates and why isn't it playable yet? Even FFXII was playable in 2004.

Today's Weekly Famitsu issue featured an interview with Nomura who said "wait for TGS", perhaps we're in for a suprise.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Himuro said:
Wasn't this supposed to be FFXIII's year? Why the lack of updates and why isn't it playable yet? Even FFXII was playable in 2004.

Yeah i think we will be dissapointed this year again, we will be lucky if we can play it before ps4 arrives at this rate.

There may also be some new trailers/information at E3 a month before this event, right? One of the two events pretty much needs to have some serious new FF13/FFv13 footage.

Very interested in Birth By Sleep gameplay impressions as well. The reduced PSP controls might force the developers into finally making a good, smart camera for the game, which would bode well for Versus too.

duckroll

badcrumble said:
Very interested in Birth By Sleep gameplay impressions as well. The reduced PSP controls might force the developers into finally making a good, smart camera for the game, which would bode well for Versus too.

That didn't really help MPO much. But hey, MGS4 had a great camera, so maybe!

duckroll said:
That didn't really help MPO much. But hey, MGS4 had a great camera, so maybe!
I'm just thinking that eliminating both the L2/R2 buttons and the second analog stick make both previous camera control models impossible. L1 is needed for lock-on and R1 is needed for magic, the dpad is needed for menu navigation. They need SOME new way to control and center the camera, and I'm not sure how they can do it, so my hope is that they'll be forced into making the default, uncontrolled camera work well enough that it needs very little input.

badcrumble said:
I'm just thinking that eliminating both the L2/R2 buttons and the second analog stick make both previous camera control models impossible. L1 is needed for lock-on and R1 is needed for magic, the dpad is needed for menu navigation. They need SOME new way to control and center the camera, and I'm not sure how they can do it, so my hope is that they'll be forced into making the default, uncontrolled camera work well enough that it needs very little input.

Maybe L + R to centre the camera. Or tap L for centering, hold L for locking on. I don't think there's really any control setup that would be ideal, but that's pretty par for the course on PSP. However a workable compromise isn't out of the question. I would suggest an simple first step to lessen the camera problems would be to zoom the camera out a bit.

Defuser

duckroll said:
The agenda has been updated in more detail now.

TRAILERS ONLY:

FFXIII
FFVersusXIII
FFAgitoXIII
KH Coded
The 3rd Birthday
FFVII AC Complete
Ha ha ha, Old trailers plus a few seconds new footage confirm. Fuck you SE

TRAILERS AND PLAYALBE:

KH 358
KH BBS
Dissidia FF
Sigma Harmonics
Do want!!!I'm looking forward for impressions and phone camera footages.

duckroll

badcrumble said:

Did you play MPO? Lol.

duckroll

badcrumble said:
No, how was the camera controlled in that?

It.... wasn't. It was just as bad as MGS3's camera, except without another analog to even move it. You could change the control scheme around, but it was just variations of pain. Some people changed the control scheme around so they could get some camera control through a combination of the d-pad and the analog nub, but it's still pretty tacky.

duckroll said:
It.... wasn't. It was just as bad as MGS3's camera, except without another analog to even move it. You could change the control scheme around, but it was just variations of pain. Some people changed the control scheme around so they could get some camera control through a combination of the d-pad and the analog nub, but it's still pretty tacky.
Hmm. I'm a bit worried about the camera then - a smart camera would be great, but the KH team isn't one to trust on having a good camera.

Defuser

Kyoufu said:
Square was fine until the merger, so the conclusion I have came up with is:

Enix is ruining Square.
lol
You should do some digging and researching before saying that. Enix never laid a hand on Square's gaming development when they merged.

Datrio said:
Just like the FFXII trailer?
XII wasn't on Blu Ray.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kyoufu said:

Enix is ruining Square.

Yeah that whole immense film bombing fiasco never happened

Square makes its own problems

:lol why in the world is AC taking so long to hit Blu-Ray?

added cutscenes that connect it to the FFVII PS3 Remake that will be announced at TGS, right? LAWL!

duckroll

TheJollyCorner said:
:lol why in the world is AC taking so long to hit Blu-Ray?

added cutscenes that connect it to the FFVII PS3 Remake that will be announced at TGS, right? LAWL!

The business end of S-E decided to wait for the right time. Last year HD-DVD wasn't dead yet, and Blu-ray market uptake was rather slow. It was literally a case of "waiting for the user base to grow", and Nomura even said that in an interview.

duckroll said:
The business end of S-E decided to wait for the right time. Last year HD-DVD wasn't dead yet, and Blu-ray market uptake was rather slow. It was literally a case of "waiting for the user base to grow", and Nomura even said that in an interview.
I'm hoping we can at least get a release date on that soon. I don't even care much about the project at all, but getting it out of the way to free up room for other stuff at trade shows would be nice (and I'll buy it because I'm a whore).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Da fuck are my Crystal Chronicles?
testcopy1.png

androvsky

Kyoufu said:

Enix is ruining Square.

Square was fine before the merger?? Ever wonder why the merger happened in the first place? Research FFIX and the Japanese strategy guide, also, FF: The Spirits Within.

androvsky said:
Square was fine before the merger?? Ever wonder why the merger happened in the first place? Research FFIX and the Japanese strategy guide, also, FF: The Spirits Within.

I don't know about the Japanese guide, but the US one was absolutely ridiculous.

you'd get half a strategy and then "want more? LOG INTO PLAYONLINE!" for literally everything in the book.

it was hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom