• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC - Devil May Cry announced (Capcom X Ninja Theory) - [Update: Unreal Engine 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Novella said:
Am I alone in that the old Dante wasn't even a character I liked? He was just bland enough to be inoffensive.
bingo

People acting as if Dante was a deep, introspective character with a meaningful history and relationships. Dude has a big giant sword sticking through his chest while he blasted away demons who interrupted his pizza lunch. Give it a rest.

Oh, man. You're right. Some people don't care for old Dante, therefore NO ONE SHOULD CARE FOR OLD DANTE.

You guys don't get why people like Old Dante. That's fine. You guys don't like Old Dante. That's fine. But some of you are saying that no one should like Old Dante, and that is a giganto pile of shitty shit.

Novella

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
People are very divided on Captain Crunch due to its high level of sweetness and mouth-cutting power.
The fellow on the box.

What I mean is that if you have strong feelings either way, that's probably something you should talk about with someone you pay.

It'd be a lot easier to get used to new Dante if they had done like every DMC game before them and showed off a pure gameplay trailer first and foremost.

Although I will say, after playing the Enslaved demo, MAYBE it's possible. I'm not saying enslaved is GOTY or anything, but the demo at least does some interesting things.

Novella

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
People are extremely divided on the fellow on the box due to his threatening moustache and their personal feelings about British Empiricism in the 19th and 20th centuries.
I really hope you're not trying to make any kind of unironic point with these posts.

hamchan

RustyNails said:
bingo

People acting as if Dante was a deep, introspective character with a meaningful history and relationships. Dude has a big giant sword sticking through his chest while he blasted away demons who interrupted his pizza lunch. Give it a rest.

No they're not.

People like Old Dante because he looks and acts awesome. Blasting away demons with a big sword through his chest and he eats pizza? What a fucking badass.

Novella said:
I didn't even know it was possible to like/dislike Old Dante.

It's like liking/disliking Captain Crunch.

Wat? Are you saying we should be apathetic to all fictional characters?

And what's wrong with Captain Crunch?

Novella said:
It's not that I didn't "get" your brilliant comedy. I was just making sure it was the brilliant comedy it was.
I mean, there is an unironic point to it, I guess. For any given object in the world, fictional or non-fictional, you will find some people that care about it. You might not be able to see their point of view, but surely common courtesy shows that you respect it, so long as that care doesn't translate to harm for others.

I mean, there are people who care about Transformers, which is about the saaaaaywhaaaaaaaaaat'est thing I could ever imagine, but I don't begrudge people for it, and I certainly wouldn't sit there clucking my tongue at them for caring about losing it were it threatened.

Novella said:
I didn't even know it was possible to like/dislike Old Dante.
My thoughts exactly. Guy was 2D cardboard cutout with cheesecake lines. I liked playing as him though, but that doesn't mean I care about his childhood/teenage/rebellious years. Whatever they were like, I would imagine they they involve being a rebel. With that being said, the new Dante redesign gets a thumbs down.

hamchan said:
Why can't someone like or dislike Cap'n Crunch again?

Because you can only care about characters with a well told back story and a level of depth set by the psychological association of Weebilwash. It's the law!

Novella

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I mean, there is an unironic point to it, I guess. For any given object in the world, fictional or non-fictional, you will find some people that care about it.
First of all, let's establish that I'm not talking about all fictional characters.

I'm talking about fictional characters that are basically supposed to be registered and cared about and thought about on the level that you register/care about/think about billboards.

What I'm saying is that Dante is about as nuanced a character as the Cocoa Puffs bird. It's insulting to other fictional characters to call him a Character. He's just some dude with white hair and a huge sword who says some things you forget the moment he says them. If he's anything more to you, I really do not know what to say.

cosmicblizzard said:
Because you can only care about characters with a well told back story and a level of depth set by the psychological association of Weebilwash. It's the law!
But isn't that the point though? I mean, I wouldn't give a horse crap if Shia LeBouf's character died in Transformers 3. But I shed man tears after Mel Gibson's character died in Braveheart.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Novella said:
First of all, let's establish that I'm not talking about all fictional characters.

I'm talking about fictional characters that are basically supposed to be registered and cared about and thought about on the level that you register/care about/think about billboards.

What I'm saying is that Dante is about as nuanced a character as the Cocoa Puffs bird. It's insulting to other fictional characters to call him a Character. He's just some dude with white hair and a huge sword who says some things you forget the moment he says them. If he's anything more to you, I really do not know what to say.
What's with you and cereal mascots? :lol

is it so hard to understand that people might like a character that doesn't mean anything to you? If anyone says that YOU should care about him, that might be a problem, but why attack people who think he's like-able? let it be, I say.

Novella said:

Okay, but what I said, and will say again, is that that doesn't matter. People can and will still care about him. What are Transformers but toys that needed a commercial?

I guarantee there's something you care about that other people would think is preposterous to care about. Guarantee it. I really hope you aren't looking down on people for something that *everyone* does.

Novella said:

First of all, I completely disagree with the expected amount of "care" you're supposed to put into any fictional character regardless of exposure. A character can receive a following if he/she says one word. Hell, I'm sure there's plenty. I don't think they have to verify their existence becasue they were created for a purpose that normally doesn't lead to attachments. No, I am not particularly attached to any cereal mascots (outside Lucky, hope he kills those damn kids one day) but saying it's impossible and lowering your opinion of someone that does is just silly.

Second, Dante is definitely not comparable to a cereal mascot. Good or bad, a history has been established surrounding him and his family. He doesn't just advertise a product, he feels emotions. I don't want to argue the depth of his character becasue that's another discussion entirely but there's definitely more to him than "Follow your nose!"

Novella said:
Do any of you have strong feelings about Pac-Man? I mean...as a character. Frankly, I hate him.
He was alright til they retconned him into a henpecked husband/father. I'm not such a big fan of him anymore, but I do enjoy digging into the pre retcon stuff now and then.

Novella

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
First of all, I completely disagree with the expected amount of "care" you're supposed to put into any fictional character regardless of exposure. A character can receive a following if he/she says one word. Hell, I'm sure there's plenty. I don't think they have to verify their existence becasue they were created for a purpose that normally doesn't lead to attachments. No, I am not particularly attached to any cereal mascots (outside Lucky, hope he kills those damn kids one day) but saying it's impossible and lowering your opinion of someone that does is just silly.

Second, Dante is definitely not comparable to a cereal mascot. Good or bad, a history has been established surrounding him and his family. He doesn't just advertise a product, he feels emotions. I don't want to argue the depth of his character becasue that's another discussion entirely but there's definitely more to him than "Follow your nose!"
Didn't you go absolutely ballistic because I said a dog in Persona 4 was cooler than a fox without having played through the whole game?

RustyNails said:
But isn't that the point though? I mean, I wouldn't give a horse crap if Shia LeBouf's character died in Transformers 3. But I shed man tears after Mel Gibson's character died in Braveheart.

Are you saying you can't get attached to a person without knowledge of their history?

I frankly don't care how 1 dimensional someone is, if I like them, I like them. I'll cry if they die, I'll want to get revenge on the ones that hurt them, I'll be happy when they're happy. Is that really so hard to understand?

Novella said:
Didn't you go absolutely ballistic because I said a dog in Persona 4 was cooler than a fox without having played through the whole game?

Yeah, but I was just bored. I didn't really care that much nor do I care much about this conversation because I'm fairly certain no one is going to budge in their opinions on this. Just expressing my view point to show alternate lines of thought exist.

Man, seems like most of the arguments I get in here are about a line of thinking and not the actual thought itself. Guess I just want people to respect others opinions but I know how likely that is here :/

Darknessbear said:
Anyone see the PSBlog interview? The interviewer looks muchhh more like the new Dante then that developer guy.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/09/24/re-imaging-of-dante-and-the-new-devil-may-cry/

I hate this guy now because of this:

yEKOO.jpg

EDIT: This guy is calling it the video game version of Batman Begins...:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

cosmicblizzard said:
Are you saying you can't get attached to a person without knowledge of their history?

I frankly don't care how 1 dimensional someone is, if I like them, I like them. I'll cry if they die, I'll want to get revenge on the ones that hurt them, I'll be happy when they're happy. Is that really so hard to understand?
I guess we differ in that respect. If I'm spending time staring at some guy for hours, I would need a reason to care for him. If he's shouting atrociously cheesy one liners with unbelievable dialogue/story, its not helping matters. I guess I cant be forced to like a character who is flat as a cardboard.

CaptYamato said:

yEKOO.jpg

EDIT: This guy is calling it the video game version of Batman Begins...:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Not to mention he compared NT to Christopher Nolan as well.

Seriously he sounds like another guy who doesn't understand the DMC franchise and yet wants to pass off as if he knows what's best for it

hamchan

RustyNails said:
I guess we differ in that respect. If I'm spending time staring at some guy for hours, I would need a reason to care for him. If he's shouting atrociously cheesy one liners with unbelievable dialogue/story, its not helping matters. I guess I cant be forced to like a character who is flat as a cardboard.

So you dislike him then? Because that's ok too.

BeautifulMemory said:
Not to mention he compared NT to Christopher Nolan as well.

Seriously he sounds like another guy who doesn't understand the DMC franchise and yet wants to pass off as if he knows what's best for it

Read the comments. He is full of shit. How did he get that blog...I swear I would be a far better journalist than most of these blog writers. Looking at Capcom's forums you can see that the hate out weigh the good comments. However, in the interview he says some bad, some good, that would imply that it is close to 50/50. Which it isn't. Let me have a sit down with them...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Novella said:
Do any of you have strong feelings about Pac-Man? I mean...as a character. Frankly, I hate him.
That's like insulting jesus. how dare you?

RustyNails said:

Well that also varies from person to person. I consider Dante having enough depth to care about. I want to know more about his history and his future. Just like I want to know more about Nero and what his relation to Sparda is. I don't want to say the personality is irrelevant because that's a huge reason why I like Dante, but it really comes down to what the characters feel. If they are capable of multiple emotions, I don't see any reason not to like them.

But of course, there are only 2 characters in all of gaming that I don't like, so maybe I'm not qualified to talk about this.

ezekial45

Banned
CaptYamato said:

yEKOO.jpg

Thats where he went. He was the video features editor at Destructoid.

hamchan said:
So you dislike him then? Because that's ok too.
No, I don't dislike him at all. Its not like you either have to like him or dislike him. There are some chaps you just don't care about. Doesn't mean you dislike them. For this reason, I'm not all winded up about NT remodeling Dante.

I like Begins...but one day people will realize it's not as great as it's chalked up to be. It's already aging fairly poorly for me and I think in 10 years the only thing I'll remember fondly from these Batman films will be Heath Ledger's Joker and the theme from Hans Zimmer.

Now Spiderman 2 on the other hand....still ballin. I can see the Begins comparisons easily here actually. They're trying to make dante all dark and grittyzz. All the schoolchildren will think it's so deep and philosophical too when he goes in depth with his psychological problems.

Tameem will pleasure himself to the comments from ign and others when they say "never has a silly videogame series been rebooted into masterful storytelling that propels the genre forward. Ninja Theory took something that was dead and gave it life"

I will be fuming and fans of the crap game will be posting michelle obama 'LOL why you mad tho?' pictures.

All this in a year from now. Believe.

Discotheque said:
I like Begins...but one day people will realize it's not as great as it's chalked up to be. It's already aging fairly poorly for me and I think in 10 years the only thing I'll remember fondly from these Batman films will be Heath Ledger's Joker and the theme from Hans Zimmer.

Now Spiderman 2 on the other hand....still ballin. I can see the Begins comparisons easily here actually. They're trying to make dante all dark and grittyzz. All the schoolchildren will think it's so deep and philosophical too when he goes in depth with his psychological problems.

Tameem will pleasure himself to the comments from ign and others when they say "never has a silly videogame series been rebooted into masterful storytelling that propels the genre forward. Ninja Theory took something that was dead and gave it life"

I will be fuming and fans of the crap game will be posting michelle obama 'LOL why you mad tho?' pictures.

All this in a year from now. Believe.

Think they can get it out in a year if that's how long the design took?

Okay maybe a year and a half. Summer 2012-ish. And it will still be suffering from framerate issues and controller lag.

God damn Enslaved plays like shit. You could literally close your eyes and go through the platforming. Even if you move the stick in the wrong direction the character jumps where you want him to go.

Aaaand, they've taken the liberty to highlight your path. no thought involved...at all.

ezekial45 said:
Thats where he went. He was the video features editor at Destructoid.

What was with the Edit? Who cares if he is reading it?

Discotheque said:
Okay maybe a year and a half. Summer 2012-ish. And it will still be suffering from framerate issues and controller lag.

God damn Enslaved plays like shit. You could literally close your eyes and go through the platforming. Even if you move the stick in the wrong direction the character jumps where you want him to go.

Aaaand, they've taken the liberty to highlight your path. no thought involved...at all.

I hated that. If you watch the DmC trailer again with that interview it seems like they are going to had something like it. He says something about the way he runs and jumps, camera cuts to him platforming...

This guy also said that given the buzz the new DmC trailer has created, NT is doing a great job marketing the game.

Can I just point out the obvious that a sequel to an established and poplar franchise will generate buzz? And so far the majority of the "buzz" has been how shitty we think the new design and the NT is...not how awesome the game will be.

zoukka

BeautifulMemory said:
This guy also said that given the buzz the new DmC trailer has created, NT is doing a great job marketing the game.

Can I just point out the obvious that a sequel to an established and poplar franchise will generate buzz? And so far the majority of the "buzz" has been how shitty we think the new design and the NT is...not how awesome the game will be.

No. The radical design of Dante fueled the talks exponentially. It was all calculated from the beginning by Capcom. Will be interesting to see if they can harness the buzz from here on.

When I saw the interviewer opposite the Tameem guy I burst out laughing. They looked like brothers or something.

That's the new Dante and Vergil forrealz.

Any buzz is good buzz though. It's always worked like that. It is working. Even though capcom is wrong. Gamers were anticipating the next release and how it would stack up to Bayo. Now they are waiting for it to suck. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom