• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC - Devil May Cry announced (Capcom X Ninja Theory) - [Update: Unreal Engine 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

d0c_zaius

cosmicblizzard said:
How many people?

I didn't count, but estimating probably around 30 (in multiple departments / job positions). it was just casual discussion, not a competitive analysis.

And Segata, whoever you sarcastically talked to doesn't know shit about eating pizza!

Kittonwy

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Everyone I talked to in the industry prefers to eat their pizza crust first.

Weirdos.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
God's Beard said:
Platinum Games, Valhalla(although they probably only have the staff for one game at a time)

Considering how both Kamiya and Mikami exited Capcom, Platinum Games isn't going to be an option for Capcom, Inafune might as well give his keys to Capcom back to Mikami.

My question is why hasn't stuffed crust pierced the mainstream yet? Seems like Pizza Hut is the only place that advertises it well (just got back from there a few hours ago).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I have no problem with the trailer really. My problem is how ridiculous it is to completely change the character's design when it was never an issue to begin with. Change the clothes a bit and it's a done deal as far as getting rid of the overly-anime feel, if that's what they wanted to change. Dante's overall proportions or face and hair color are in no way wrong for the Western market. In fact he fits damn well and is much more charismatic.

If they want to widen the market for DMC, Dante was pretty much one of the few characters in Japan that already fits the bill. He actually looks and talks like a leader, but the character suffered from poor writing. That's all that really needed to improved. Better writing, and a slight change of clothes (a shirt under his coat, less red leather while still keeping the character's color scheme the same, etc.). His head was perfectly fine and the white hair is not ridiculous at all. Do albinos get laughed and pointed out when attending a rock concert or something?

The new Dante looks weak, introverted, a reject. That is NOT how you attract more people to a series in the US or Europe. If people saw him in a club they wouldn't even talk to him, he looks like he would be too fucking emo and just smoke in a corner. The real Dante would turn the place into an open bar and have a few girls around his arms. THAT is a character that would have appeal in the US and Europe.

Instead they are making a design based on a niche/reject/obscure/excessively-underground "culture" that you could say actually no longer even exists considering how small it is. They are going about it completely in the wrong way.

Nemesis_

A Bayonetta / Dante crossover title where they would be all slutty towards each other would be incredibly hot and fun to play, I'd imagine.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Nemesis556 said:
A Bayonetta / Dante crossover title where they would be all slutty towards each other would be incredibly hot and fun to play, I'd imagine.

That sounds ridiculous. Bayonetta is a joke character really.

Zen said:
That's exactly what happened by the sounds of it.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...e your personal motives or relationships out.

Yeah I dislike everything about Bayonetta except the combat system. But the gameplay in there is so good that I can actually ignore it's very large faults in presentation. So annoying.

cosmicblizzard said:
My question is why hasn't stuffed crust pierced the mainstream yet? Seems like Pizza Hut is the only place that advertises it well (just got back from there a few hours ago).

This is the exception, I don't mind having crust last if there's something in it.

Ether_Snake said:
That sounds ridiculous.

That would be kind of the point.

d0c_zaius

cosmicblizzard said:

Stuffed crust is too good for the masses

new dante = dominos

-PXG-

Warm Machine said:
Its so strange, everyone I've talked to in the industry thought the trailer looked awesome.

At a pure production standpoint, yeah, the trailer was pretty cool. But the subject matter in question is what is bothersome.

Teknoman

Trailer would be so much better if the gunshot section didnt make the guns seem so weak/only shoot the enemies once. The action just seemed a little lighter on impact than it should have.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Teknoman said:
Trailer would be so much better if the gunshot section didnt make the guns seem so weak/only shoot the enemies once. The action just seemed a little lighter on impact than it should have.

THIS

Strike

http://play.tm/news/31931/capcom-dmc4-s-2-7m-sales-not-enough-wants-5-from-reboot/

Capcom: DMC4's 2.7m sales not enough, wants 5+ from reboot
The Japanese publisher expects big numbers from Ninja Theory's reboot

2.7 million games sold to consumers is nothing to sneeze at, yet it isn't enough for Capcom producer Motohide Eshiro. With Ninja Theory's upcoming reboot of the franchise, the Devil May Cry producer is hoping to cross the 5 million mark that other action games have set.

To reach those numbers, the Japanese publisher realised it would need to appeal to a wider audience than DMC's core user base. This is partially the reason Capcom is taking the series in a new direction.

"When we say rebirth, part of our goal is to go back to the roots, dig deeper, and try to expand upon those ideas to make the series accessible to a wider audience," Motohide told Eurogamer. "We want to give the series a fresh, new standard a literal rebirth."

Though the game's redesign is intended to expand the fan base, a vocal segment is opposed to the new look for protagonist Dante. Even franchise creator Hideki Kamiya recently tweeted some reservations to the character's face lift.

By Nicholas Gasse

Yeah...

These people realize that there's virtually no chance the game will reach 5 mil, right? If that's really what it needs to sell to make a profit, I don't see how NT could survive.

zoukka

cosmicblizzard said:
These people realize that there's virtually no chance the game will reach 5 mil, right? If that's really what it needs to sell to make a profit, I don't see how NT could survive.

Not even close silly. That's their PR goal. Capcom wants improvement on the 2,7 million mark. Very unlikely to happen, but hey they are the crazies here, not NT.

Unreasonable expectations, awesome. Makes the motivations behind the unnecessary reboot somewhat more clear.

What's the highest selling action game? How well have games in the God of War, Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden series sold in the past? What are the total overall sales for each series? How well did Bayonetta do? Give me statistical data for what I already imagine is the case Sales-Age, show me that Inafune's arms are too short to box with god.

zoukka said:
Not even close silly. That's their PR goal. Capcom wants improvement on the 2,7 million mark. Very unlikely to happen, but hey they are the crazies here, not NT.

I'm honestly thinking it could go as low as sub-1 mil. This might be the worst unveiling reaction in video game history and Capcom/NT will have to do A LOT to reassure us and win people back.

That bit about Kamiya's tweets is bullshit. He even made a tweet thoroughly clarifying that he had no specific problem with the new design and told everyone to give the new guys a chance. I enjoy the flogging as much as anyone, but that's just spreading falsehoods for controversy.

trejo

zoukka said:

Heavenly Sword was Sony's fault.

Enslaved was Namco's fault.

DmC is Capcom's fault.

the Ninja Theory and Obsidian Defense Forces should get together and hang out sometime. Looks like they'd hit it off.

jaundicejuice said:
Unreasonable expectations, awesome. Makes the motivations behind the unnecessary reboot somewhat more clear.

What's the highest selling action game? How well have games in the God of War, Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden series sold in the past? What are the total overall sales for each series? How well did Bayonetta do? Give me statistical data for what I already imagine is the case Sales-Age, show me that Inafune's arms are too short to box with god.
God of War, the highest selling installment is the first one, sold about 4 million worldwide.
Devil May Cry, the highest selling installment is the fourth one, sold about 2.7 million worldwide.
Ninja Gaiden, the highest selling installment is the original Xbox game, sold about 1.6 million worldwide, original + Black combined.
Bayonetta shipped 1.1 million worldwide.

DihcarEM

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
He really said that?
Yep, he's not shouting it from the rooftops but basiclly he would do it if the fans wanted him to.

http://play.tm/news/31874/kamiya-i-would-do-a-new-devil-may-cry-if-the-fans-wanted-it/

cosmicblizzard said:
Didn't he say he never wanted to work on franchises that have been taken away from him? Likening it to his wife sleeping with another man or something? At least I'm pretty sure he said that about Okami.
Yep, that's true too. Before that, it had always been his tag line. He used to compare losing Dmc to having a wife that sleeps around. Although he also said last week that he missed Dmc.
And really it wouldn't matter anymore, if Capcom had done the right thing and given the reboot to Kamiya stating only that they want a fresh and darker,more realistic view on the series then that's what Kamiya would have done. People act as if he would have made it over the top as Bayonetta. He wouldn't have, he's a professional. But my point is, doing a origin entry can change the whole view on the series. Just like how Dmc3 usurpd Dmc1 because it took place before the big conflict with Mundus and showed us how Dante became who he was. This would have been the same oppertunity for Kamiya to retake control of his franchise and shape it as he sees fit. Again, the stupidity of Capcom amazes me.

V_Arnold

cosmicblizzard said:
I'm honestly thinking it could go as low as sub-1 mil. This might be the worst unveiling reaction in video game history and Capcom/NT will have to do A LOT to reassure us and win people back.

You overestimate the power of the Whining.

Dahbomb

Segata Sanshiro said:
God of War, the highest selling installment is the first one, sold about 4 million worldwide.
Devil May Cry, the highest selling installment is the fourth one, sold about 2.7 million worldwide.
Ninja Gaiden, the highest selling installment is the original Xbox game, sold about 1.6 million worldwide, original + Black combined.
Bayonetta shipped 1.1 million worldwide.
That's about right. How can they aim for 5 million then?

zoukka

cosmicblizzard said:
This might be the worst unveiling reaction in video game history and Capcom/NT will have to do A LOT to reassure us and win people back.

I can't hope too much from NT's side, but Capcom are geniuses in this case. Everyone here is playing to Capcoms bag by being all "outraged" to the max. They have so many options now that the game is on everyone's lips.

Modify the character a bit = fans will love the "good old" Dante design again, which normally wouldn't have been even noticed if the game would've continued the old style.

Keep the design, but balance things with Vergil and other characters. (highly probable)

Evolve the design as the game progresses. Show glimpses of this in trailers and the fans will play the game just to see the old demon slayer again.

the Ninja Theory and Obsidian Defense Forces should get together and hang out sometime. Looks like they'd hit it off.

Err I hated Heavenly Sword. Enslaved looks dull as fuck. I just want to give them a chance because we haven't seen the game in motion. I'll be the first to stomp the game if it looks bad.

Until then, I'll fight the madness in these threads.

V_Arnold said:
You overestimate the power of the Whining.
Yeah, I don't think there's a chance of it going under a million. They'll lose Japan, which is about 600k of that 2.7 million. But I honestly don't expect it to sell terribly worse in the other regions provided it's not a disaster.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah, I don't think there's a chance of it going under a million. They'll lose Japan, which is about 600k of that 2.7 million. But I honestly don't expect it to sell terribly worse in the other regions provided it's not a disaster.
Given that Front Mission Evolved just opened with half the opening week of Front Mission 5, I think it's possible that they could still sell 200-300k in Japan.

I really like Ninja Theory as a developer. There is just something in their games that I love and I can't put my finger on what that is. I personally, cannot wait for this.

On a side note..people bitch WAY to much about character design.

zoukka said:
It will sell good unless it's not a disaster?!

Holy shit.
Sorry, couldn't elaborate, my student came early so I just hit "submit reply".

Anyway, I think if Ninja Theory turns in an average effort, like say, what they usually do, it's still going to easily pass a million WW. Maybe not 2 million, but 1.5 seems reasonable. Heavenly Sword almost managed a million without a brand attached to it, after all.

If they completely mess things up, which is highly unlikely, you'll probably see it go closer to 1 million, but I very much doubt it will go below that.

If they turn in an exceptional effort, I could see it go as high as 2.5 million to 3 million.

5 million is a fucking pipe dream, though. If God of War can't do it, DmC surely can't.

Eliciel

never ever will a game like Devil May Cry sell 5 million+.....

Seriously is this a serious statement? 5m+ wasn't even possible for anything like uncharted 2, god of war 3...damn Final Fantasy XIII sold like 5m+ and MGS 4 nearly hit 5m.

Final Fantasy was one of "THE" most wanted games the last 3 years+...
What's the matter with capcom what are they talking about?

voady said:
never ever will a game like Devil May Cry sell 5 million+.....

Seriously is this a serious statement? 5m+ wasn't even possible for anything like uncharted 2, god of war 3...damn Final Fantasy XIII sold like 5m+ and MGS 4 nearly hit 5m.

Final Fantasy was one of "THE" most wanted games the last 3 years+...
What's the matter with capcom what are they talking about?
Silly sales expectations are nothing new for game companies, and Capcom has certainly never been an exception. Most notably see the 1.5 million expectation of Bionic Commando, which ended up selling under 300k.

Eliciel

Segata Sanshiro said:
Silly sales expectations are nothing new for game companies, and Capcom has certainly never been an exception. Most notably see the 1.5 million expectation of Bionic Commando, which ended up selling under 300k.

I'll write them an email calling there "new" action hero dante a bummer and a douchebag. If they don't react to their audience frustrations they'll get like 2m sales for DMC 5, or even less.

I call it
1m for the PS3 and 1m for the 360 combined: 2m worldwide.

I want him back, give me the real kick-ass dante sparda :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Capcom is pretty notorious for absurdly high predictions this gen, no?

This is going to end in tears.
A reboot by a largely unknown and unloved dev, for a rather hardcore niche game...
Yeah good luck getting your 5 mil.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom