• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC - Devil May Cry announced (Capcom X Ninja Theory) - [Update: Unreal Engine 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

Victrix said:
Asked if he thinks Bayonetta looks cool, Antoniades says: "Personally, I don't. I love the game. I think it's awesome. It's taken everything -- it's just gone to a total extreme. But in terms of, 'Do I think it's cool?' No, not at all. I think it's caricatured and over-the-top and very 'Japanesey,' and for that absurd style it does that really well, but that's not what I want."

We know what you want
Actually I agree with his sentiments about Bayonetta, it doesn't really look cool, it's really fucking over the top and pretty ridiculous. That doesn't stop the game from being awesome though. I find it funny that he is trying to make dante more fashionable in dmc, I mean wtf is up with his trench coat?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
My guess is someone at Capcom America knows some people at Ninja Theory and simply got them the contract. Period.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SolidSnakex said:
Shouldn't Bionic Commando and Dark Void be put on Inafune?
Sorry, I stealth edited my post too slow.

They seem to have put that on Ben Judd's and Seth Killian's heads, since neither of them have been heard from much since then.

Nirolak said:
Sorry, I stealth edited my post too slow.

They seem to have put that on Ben Judd's and Seth Killian's heads, since neither of them have been heard from much since then.

If they're blaming everyone but Inafune when a game tanks then will this Alex guy take the hit if DMC tanks? It would of course take them ignoring that the common guy in all of this is Inafune.

Finaika said:

Why should he stop? It's pretty clear what's going on here, and it's actually not uncommon at all: see Itagaki, Nomura, Nagoshi, Suda.

The only difference here is that the guy isn't japanese and will likely read what's written here. That's kinda hypocritical.

graywolf323

Nirolak said:
Inafune actually hasn't really had a fail lately since Lost Planet 2 got dropped on Jun Takeuchi's head, while based on interviews Inafune has been getting company credit for the success of Dead Rising 1, Lost Planet 1, and a fair share of Monster Hunter's success it seems. Also, the fiasco with GRIN seems to have largely been placed on Ben Judd, who we now hear nothing from anymore, and the same seems true with Seth Killian for Dark Void.

If Dead Rising 2 does really well but DmC bombs, I think he still has a chance to be left in relative control, but if both go down burning he's pretty much screwed.

so he's quite adept at playing company politics

good for him but kinda sucks for us fans

Canova

Banned
Nirolak said:
Inafune actually hasn't really had a fail lately since Lost Planet 2 got dropped on Jun Takeuchi's head, while based on interviews Inafune has been getting company credit for the success of Dead Rising 1, Lost Planet 1, and a fair share of Monster Hunter's success it seems. Also, the fiasco with GRIN seems to have largely been placed on Ben Judd, who we now hear nothing from anymore, and the same seems true with Seth Killian for Dark Void.

If Dead Rising 2 does really well but DmC bombs, I think he still has a chance to be left in relative control, but if both go down burning he's pretty much screwed.

my prediction is DR2 is gonna bomb, then DmC too. So the shareholders can call out for his resignation

DeVeAn

It seems to me Inafune is getting big headed. I loved most of his games but, what is happening to DMC? I really don't mind the new style or atmosphere but changing Dante to look like that is so unappealing. Please just keep the Japanese games Japanese. I had no problem with DMC4 I loved the game.

Infinite Justice said:
Because a few got banned for it already?

Well that's just wrong and like i said, hypocritical. also racist.
nobody said that the guy looks like shit. they're simply suggesting that his own vision of what's cool and fashion influenced the character (which is obvious and natural). And many happen to dislike the character. I've never seen anyone banned over the fact that they said that Nomura, Nagoshi or Suda dress like the characters in their games.

Finaika

Sickboy007 said:
Well that's just wrong and like i said, hypocritical. also racist.
nobody said that the guy looks like shit. they're simply suggesting that his own vision of what's cool and fashion influenced the character (which is obvious and natural). And many happen to dislike the character. I've never seen anyone banned over the fact that they said that Nomura, Nagoshi or Suda dress like the characters in their games.
Ummm how is that racist?

Finaika said:
Ummm how is that racist?

Because nobody was bothered when those things were said about Nomura, Suda, Nagoshi and the likes. I don't know if it's because we think that english speaking devs might read english speaking forums and be offended (over what?) or because we have a higher tolerance for ridiculing japanese culture (and people), but that's a clear double standard.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SolidSnakex said:
If they're blaming everyone but Inafune when a game tanks then will this Alex guy take the hit if DMC tanks? It would of course take them ignoring that the common guy in all of this is Inafune.
Apparently Inafune had to twist a lot of arms to get this one done, and he also seems to have convinced Capcom to buy Blue Castle, so I imagine any chance of deflection (even if the previous cases were unintentional) is pretty much gone here.

Nirolak said:

I'm not so sure. Devil May Cry is the biggest toy he's been given to play with by far. It's one of Capcom's highest selling franchises in recent times, has strong brand-name value worldwide, and was on a rise before this shake-up. If this proves to be a disaster to the point of damaging the Devil May Cry brand (which would be pretty hard to do, given the bounce-back after DMC2, but ehn), I don't think he's going to be able to slip out of responsibility.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
SolidSnakex said:
Shouldn't Bionic Commando and Dark Void be put on Inafune?
Dark Void was extending Capcom as a publisher, while Bionic Commando was just a flop. While both were bad and lost them quite a bit, the reprecussions weren't as strong.

DmC on the other hand, it could destroy the good will towards the series, similar to 2. Even if they do announce 5 with all Japanese development. It's still going to damage the series once again. This is a much larger investment and gamble since it could potential kill a strong IP. It's not a dead one or new one, it's only second to GoW worldwide for action titles.

DihcarEM

I think a lot of you are overestimating NT. Heavenly Sword was not a massive hit and is already a 3 year old game. Enslaved is getting a lot of the same feedback as HS except gamers are a lot less forgiving these days. I don't think Enslaved will be a hit. And Dmc's negative feedback is really starting to become loud. Any press is not good press. Bad press can hurt your sales and such. Unless Capcom change a few things(Dante's design, get rid of that ugly motherfucker) and get more hands-on(combat) and supervise Ninja Theory more.
It's not like they are close to finishing the game. In the gametrailers interview they said they are only in phase 1(of 5). They are only starting work on the combat now. So lose the unwarrented arrogance,ego and make a proper Dmc game as it should be done.

Ofcourse i'm only saying all of this if we can't get rid of NT. If Capcom is so determined to work with them atleast do it right.

Lyonaz said:
Hopefully after they crash and burn with this, Capcom will give the franchise back to Kamiya so he can make a Bayonetta X Devil May Cry game.
That was my wish too. And there were already small hints in Bayonetta for a possible DmcXBayonetta crossover.

Last week Kamiya saying on twitter that he would make a new DMC game if fans wanted it. How can you be so stupid Capcom.

Xun

People are seriously wanting the game to flop?

It would mean the closure of NT most likely, which I do not want to happen.

The reason? I see a lot of potential in the company, despite the games they've made.

Draft

Xun said:
For gaming to thrive, weak developers must die.

Maybe there's a silver lining to this whole debacle, after all...

Draft said:
For gaming to thrive, weak developers must die.

Maybe there's a silver lining to this whole debacle, after all...

Agreed. Lost jobs is a bad thing but really, do shitty studios have an entitlement to survive just because they have human employees? LOL, this is business.

Xun said:
People are seriously wanting the game to flop?

The reason? I see a lot of potential in the company, despite the games they've made.

I don't want them to close but I'll only think about buying their game if it's better than or equal to DMC 1 or 3.

DihcarEM said:
Last week Kamiya saying on twitter that he would make a new DMC game if fans wanted it. How can you be so stupid Capcom.

Didn't he say he never wanted to work on franchises that have been taken away from him? Likening it to his wife sleeping with another man or something? At least I'm pretty sure he said that about Okami.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Enslaved is 100% certain to be a flop. It's going to do at best the same numbers PoP 2008 did.

Like I said before, I can only imagine that since it was left up to Capcom's US studio to find a western dev for the game, someone at Capcom knew some people at Ninja Theory and got them the contract.

Not uncommon, and quite likely, since there is very little reasons at all to go to NT to get this game done. I mean when you think "Westernization", Ninja Theory, makers of Heavenly Sword (asian-fantasy kick and punch game) and Enslaved (a kick and punch platformer's take on the old Asian myth Journey to the West), they're probably the last ones someone would go to.

I'd like this game to turn out good, but some people at the helm of Capcom have beer bottle glasses on.

Imm0rt4l

Ether_Snake said:
Enslaved is 100% certain to be a flop. It's going to do at best the same numbers PoP 2008 did.

Like I said before, I can only imagine that since it was left up to Capcom's US studio to find a western dev for the game, someone at Capcom knew some people at Ninja Theory and got them the contract.

Not uncommon, and quite likely, since there is very little reasons at all to go to NT to get this game done. I mean when you think "Westernization", Ninja Theory, makers of Heavenly Sword (asian-fantasy kick and punch game) and Enslaved (a kick and punch platformer's take on the old Asian myth Journey to the West), they're probably the last ones someone would go to.

I'd like this game to turn out good, but some people at the helm of Capcom have beer bottle glasses on.
Personally I think that probably helped them get the chance to make DMC. I'd imagine Capcom would prefer a Western developer that has a certain level of respect for things Asian. I'm not saying DMC has a lot of Asian motifs, but it has the choreography that is distinctly Japanese, something you'd find in a Ryuhei Kitamura film.

Imm0rt4l said:
Personally I think that probably helped them get the chance to make DMC. I'd imagine Capcom would prefer a Western developer that has a certain level of respect for things Asian. I'm not saying DMC has a lot of Asian motifs, but it has the choreography that is distinctly Japanese, something you'd find in a Ryuhei Kitamura film.

I'm pretty sure they choosen NT, because they were the only independent western developer that made an action game that was midly succesful (even if Sony barely broke even with the sales of HS).

Persona7

Banned
I am pretty late on this thread, but I thought the trailer looked pretty good and it got me pretty excited.

I can't wait to try it out.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Ether_Snake said:

Does 2.2 million in sales constitute a flop these days?

Ubisoft later released sales figures showing that Prince of Persia has sold over 2.2 million copies worldwide as of January 2009.

(which yay, since PoP 2008 was a fantastic game, screw the haters. :p)

I don't really love NT that much (Antoniade comes over as massively pretentious, sorry), and I hate the Dante redesign, but I don't really want them to fail. I just want them to make much better games. That said, I am buying Enslaved because the story looks good and for Andy Serkis. Hopefully it'll be as good re gameplay as all the previews I've seen predict - demo was sort of eh, imo.)

(I have to say I don't get the NT defense force though? Heavenly Sword was a really popular game on Gaf, maybe?)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Canova

Banned
Imm0rt4l said:

huh? Capcom wants to go as far away from Asian as possible. They want to westernize their games

Imm0rt4l

canova said:
huh? Capcom wants to go as far away from Asian as possible. They want to westernize their games

yea, but we're talking about DMC not Onimusha. Their isn't anything specifically Asian about the game outside the gameplay action/choreography. I'm sure they don't want to change this as it's the only thing worth caring about in regards to DMC.

Imm0rt4l said:
yea, but we're talking about DMC not Onimusha. Their isn't anything specifically Asian about the game outside the gameplay action/choreography. I'm sure they don't want to change this as it's the only thing worth caring about in regards to DMC.
the art, the character designs, the combat

Japanese games have "this" feel, look and aura

Capcom for some bizarre reason wants to de-Japanize their games are Westernize them thinking that people in the West will buy more of their games

while Devil May Cry 4 sold pretty God damn well with it's Japanese style and gameplay

mind implodes on reasoning

Curufinwe

If Capcom had got David Jaffe and some other God of War guys to collaborate on DMC 5 (Vergil fighting his way thru Hell maybe?) then at least their claims about wanting to broaden the game's appeal and increase sales would make some sense.

But Ninja Theory? Come on.

luxarific said:

Ubisoft later released sales figures showing that Prince of Persia has sold over 2.2 million copies worldwide as of January 2009.

I don't really love NT that much (Antoniade comes over as massively pretentious, sorry), and I hate the Dante redesign, but I don't really want them to fail. I just want them to make much better games. That said, I am buying Enslaved because the story looks good and for Andy Serkis. Hopefully it'll be as good re gameplay as all the previews I've seen predict - demo was sort of eh, imo.)

(I have to say I don't get the NT defense force though? Heavenly Sword was a really popular game on Gaf, maybe?)

I can't get that link to open, can you post the actual URL?

RyuHayate

gutter_trash said:

Maybe they took the core team members behind DMC3 & DMC4 and assigned them to another high profile project?

Even if that is the case, to allow an outside team with a spotty track record to take charge is still mind boggling.

Imm0rt4l

gutter_trash said:

Capcom for some bizarre reason wants to de-Japanize their games are Westernize them thinking that people in the West will buy more of their games

while Devil May Cry 4 sold pretty God damn well with it's Japanese style and gameplay

Yea I agree that the games do have this 'feel' in regards to aesthetic, Personally I'm in the camp that believes that Japanese art has really stagnated, or maybe I'm just becoming more mature. Either way I do believe the game could use a western perspective on art because it's kinda trying to simulate that from the beginning whilst injecting it's over the top Japanese style (which I love). Unfortunately the guys at Ninja Theory have shit taste and put this abomination of a character design upon us :lol. I'm not for westernizing just for the sake of westernizing it, I'd only be supportive of westernizing if it were a competent enough developer who could change a lot of the gameplay mechanics, because the games have become very boring aside from the combat.

d0c_zaius

gutter_trash said:

Yea for some reason, they used Dead Rising as an example of "failing to get the western market". So their logic is to farm out any IP with west recognition to random studios with little experience.

I don't get it either (probably just trying to save $$ any way possible on a future flop). At least DR2 looks good.

Kittonwy

Banned
luxarific said:

Do you honestly expect Enslaved to sell 2.2 million?

I don't think Andy Serkis is a good reason to support a game, at the end of the day you're playing the game, not watching it, the philosophy of spending as much money as you can on production values and putting gameplay second is a bad idea, if the demo is any indication, it lacked imagination, worse yet, it controlled like shit.

Zen

Banned
Ether_Snake said:

That's exactly what happened by the sounds of it.

Eurogamer said:
Eurogamer: Did Capcom approach Ninja Theory with the idea, then?

Alex Jones: Actually, what happened was that Capcom Japan came to Capcom America and said, "We want you to explore a new direction for Devil May Cry." They didn't give us any mandate as to whether it had to be a sequel or something else, and we had people in our office who had had previous positive experience working with the guys at Ninja Theory.

If you play Heavenly Sword and some of their previous games, a lot of their core competencies are in line with what makes Devil May Cry special. They seemed like a natural fit.

So we approached them, and then we brought on our partners from Japan once we were sure that these were the right guys for the job. The idea of doing a reboot honestly just came organically out of working together with these guys over five or six months. It didn't start out like that.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-22-dmc-devil-may-cry-interview

Hopefully the Japenses partners are really in the mix on this project. It could turn out well, it could also be a train wreck, but it's not like Ninja Theory is solo deving this project, by the sounds of it.

Imm0rt4l

Warm Machine said:
Its so strange, everyone I've talked to in the industry thought the trailer looked awesome.
I think the trailer has some good qualities to it, I just think the character design and the knowledge that Ninja Theory is making the game kinda trumps it.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Kittonwy said:
Do you honestly expect Enslaved to sell 2.2 million?

I don't think Andy Serkis is a good reason to support a game, at the end of the day you're playing the game, not watching it, the philosophy of spending as much money as you can on production values and putting gameplay second is a bad idea, if the demo is any indication, it lacked imagination, worse yet, it controlled like shit.

No, I never said that. My comment was directed towards the PoP 2008 = flop. While it may not have hit targets, I don't think it was, not with 2.2 million in sales (even if it didn't meet Ubi's expectations).

I've never played HS and while I wasn't wow'ed by the Enslaved demo, I'm still going to buy the game for several reasons:

1.) I've played more than one demo where the complete game has been a much better experience, so much so that if I had based my buying decision on the demo alone I would have really missed out on a lot of fun (e.g., Dead Space, Heavy Rain);

2.) Gameplay isn't the only reason I play games. Presentation and story are equally as important to me as gameplay. Also see 1.;

3.) I can always resell the game and get at least some credit back for a new game (this is why I hope the digital download future is still a few years off - it's a much less risky proposition to buy games at $50+, if you can sell them back for a good percentage of the price purchased).

If nothing else, at least I'll be able to base my DmC purchasing decision on more than just hating Dante's design. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom