• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition |OT| ...And I've got a bigger change log

Dahbomb

My first time playing this and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I also liked all the previous DMCs (yes that includes DMC2).

I know this version has gameplay changes, but reading this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407379 in hindsight is hilarious. Game's great.
To be fair most of those fears came true when it came to DmC.

People thought that since it would be a Western game it would use UE3,, run at 30 FPS, be more cinematics with edgy/mature/gritty story, use QTEs/contact sensitive finishers, wouldn't have lock on, janky animations, not as much depth/difficulty etc.

The cries over the character design were over the top but so was that initial crack addict design they debuted.

My sincerest apologies if this has been asked before, but if I owned the original on pc and played it at 1080p 60fps, is this new release still worth purchasing? I loved it when it debuted, but I only ever played through it once and never purchased the dlc. Is this new edition worth getting or should I just play through the pc version again

Slaythe

My sincerest apologies if this has been asked before, but if I owned the original on pc and played it at 1080p 60fps, is this new release still worth purchasing? I loved it when it debuted, but I only ever played through it once and never purchased the dlc. Is this new edition worth getting or should I just play through the pc version again

If you are going to replay the game and train to do good combos, yes definitely.

Overall rebalance, hardcore mode, turbo mode, Vergil included, bloody palace tweaks and for both characters, lock on, colour coded enemies new system (and you can stun them with proper weapons on one specific hit then use whatever you want so it really is the perfect compromise) where you can damage them with anything.
New bosses behaviour.

It's awesome.

If just for a casual run, not really ? Or not at full price.

Game arrived for me <3. I'm just wondering if I have the guts to go Turbo Mode from the beginning. I platinumed the vanilla game but I never tought it was too slow or anything.

Apparently some of the collectible positions are changed?

Carbonox

Am I dreaming? I acually had fun with the succubus fight.

I enjoy that fight. It was satisfying doing her in last night without getting hit on SoS once I started to remember all the tactics from the vanilla version. Though Succubus is pretty easy regardless due to her limited set and easy to predict nature.

Overall it's all starting to come back to me now at the base level. Adjusting various tactics to keep in mind Hardcore mode's "perks" is enjoyable too.

Gbraga

I enjoy that fight. It was satisfying doing her in last night without getting hit on SoS once I started to remember all the tactics from the vanilla version. Though Succubus is pretty easy regardless due to her limited set and easy to predict nature.

Overall it's all starting to come back to me now at the base level. Adjusting various tactics to keep in mind Hardcore mode's "perks" is enjoyable too.

Oh yeah, she still gets destroyed by parrying, but at least there's skill involved in parrying now, so it's already a huge step up. She's not free to Demon Dodge into overdrive anymore as well, is she? (I still don't have Demon Dodge)

EDIT: Thinking about it, now that Demon Dodge gives a speed boost, S rank + Turbo Mode + Demon Dodge must make things insane. I need to get it today.

Matriox

Well, they're the same genre, but they don't really play the same. DMC games have much less emphasis on spectacle than Bayonetta, and Bayonetta is a lot more streamlined than the DMC games in many ways - although the same is true of DmC.

I think the original DmC wasn't comparable to either Bayonetta at all, but it seems like the update should do a lot for it.

Yes, DmC is a top tier action game. And will probably be the best action game there is until Bayonetta 3 (which won't happen) comes out, or until Devil May Cry 5.

If you have access to a PS3/360 then I would suggest you start the series off on a high note with the original series and then play the reboot.

DMC3 in particular is simply amazing and DMC4 probably has the deepest combat system ever.

I'd strongly suggest getting into the original series, personally. The HD Collection is super cheap right now and a perfect entrypoint. DMC3, in particular, holds up to the combat giants of today and has a good story. It recently was in the top 25 games of that entire generation.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005VBVQDI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I appreciate the responses, I went ahead and picked it up because I figure I'll give it a shot. I feel like the game flows similarly to Bayonetta enough that I could pick it up fairly easily and man am I having a great time. I get a little put off by punk Dante from time to time (compared to my small exposure to DMC on ps2 anyways) but so far the game is a blast. I just finished the fight with
Bob Barbas
and I think this has been one of my favorite fights in a long ass time..

Slaythe

Kyosuke is streaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SGVfNG-Jhc

Not hardcore mode though.

No lock on and no hardcore mode ? And he doesn't use normal weapons on coloured enemies so far :x ...

Also, maybe it's because I stream and quality is important to me.

But I'm done watching these kind of streams :

05e79ad07e924d8d02ed12d7b446b423.png

Come on this is 2015.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Not a lot of people have the proper bandwidth or specs for high motion streams for games. o: I stream at 60 FPS though when possible though since my computer can handle it pretty okay. (Well not my PS4 games since my ElGato only does 60FPS at 720p.)

AllGamer

I finished it yesterday (Nephilim, HCM and Turbo Mode). 7 hours playtime and I died twice. I already liked the game on PS3 (3 playthroughs) but the DE is soooo much better. Can't wait to play Vergil's Downfall again!

Dahbomb

Am I dreaming? I acually had fun with the succubus fight.
She is more aggressive and you can't auto win anymore with Demon Dodge into Drive or with an easy mode parry.

Still every non final boss fight in the game is relatively easy even on high difficulties. Their patterns are more aggressive but that is negated by having Triple dash. The final boss on the other hand starting from SOS and up has turned absolutely ludicrous.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Found a bit of an annoying issue. If you put assign something to R3 as Vergil you won't be able to spawn a doppleganger because there's no way to reassign the spawn.

Sagely

Does anyone who's played both the vanilla version and DE feel like DE is more comfortable due to the speed increase? I want to say "easier" but I know this won't be the case with all the difficulty mods available.

I ask because I actually found DmC vanilla more difficult than Bayonetta or DMC 1 and 4 (despite not being a high level player in the slightest) because of the lower speed and heavy-feeling combat. That sounds crazy, I know, but fast combat just feels so much more comfortable to me. So would you guys say that the DE feels closer to these games since it has Turbo mode and 60fps? I'm going to play it regardless, just curious.

Gbraga

Not really, I feel like the DE is way harder, but, that being said, I also thought DmC was too easy in the vanilla version, so it makes sense that you would think the opposite about the DE

Pez

So what was the big beef with DmC2?

I beat one recently and was excited to go to 2 as I skipped it in my youth. As soon as I loaded it up though, my biggest adversary was the game's camera.

I couldn't deal with it and turned it off. I imagine this was everyone's issue?

Sagely

Not really, I feel like the DE is way harder, but, that being said, I also thought DmC was too easy in the vanilla version, so it makes sense that you would think the opposite about the DE

Yeah, I don't think it will be easier at all - just (hopefully) more comfortable for someone who prefers fast-paced action. I find it a lot more enjoyable and easier to react when things are happening quickly.

Gbraga

Yeah, I don't think it will be easier at all - just (hopefully) more comfortable for someone who prefers fast-paced action. I find it a lot more enjoyable and easier to react when things are happening quickly.

Did you play the vanilla game on consoles?

The way you're describing it makes me think you could be struggling more with framerate than the actual speed.

I beat one recently and was excited to go to 2 as I skipped it in my youth. As soon as I loaded it up though, my biggest adversary was the game's camera.

To be honest I don't even remember much of DMC2, I barely remember it exists. I've only played it once, and that was already too much.

Dahbomb

You probably thought DmC was harder than Bayonetta because you were using Rebellion/Red weapons and trying to dodge out of them like in Bayonetta but you can't do that in DmC (at least with those weapons). You can't cancel everything into dodge which means you need to be aware of what move you are about to commit to. This doesn't apply to the blue weapons though as they are cancellable whenever into dodges.

Also the difference in framerate makes moves easier to react to at 60FPS vs 30FPS even with a higher speed.

DmC DE is overall just harder than DmC vanilla with the exception of the dodging thanks to the new triple dash which makes dodging a lot easier. Combined with the regular dodge you can basically dodge 4 times in a row although it's best to do demon dodge, then two angel dodges then cancel the 2nd last dodge's recovery into another move like a jump into angel glide.

If you want it would be impossible to hit you in this game although if you are spending the entire time dodging you are losing out on time and style points.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

DMC2?

It was all around bad. The camera. The environment. The speed. The gravity. The story. The lack of character. The enemy types. The bosses. The sound effects. The music.

Everything about it was bad. It felt like sewage in your hands. The only possible redeeming feature was Dante's visual design, but he had the personality of cardboard.

If you haven't played 3, I strongly recommend it. It's considered one of the greatest action games of all time.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
i've never played a DMC before...would this be a good one to start with?

I'd suggest getting the HD Collection and starting with DMC1 and DMC3. The games aren't that long, and set the stage for events to come. DMC1 spawned the entire 3D action genre as we know it. DMC3 is hailed as one of the greats of all time and has aged incredibly well. The HD Collection is also dirt cheap nowadays.

You could start with this game, but it's a DmC game, not a DMC game. It's extremely different in tone, and a completely separate story.

Sagely

Thanks for the answers!

It's very useful to know that the Demon weapons can't be cancelled into dodge; I did not know this, but until recently I wasn't a fan of heavy weapons anyway (and used them as little as possible). Looking forward to diving into this with more experience and patience than I had two years ago.

I'm aware that DMC is a different play style to Bayonetta in general but I still had less difficulty and more fun with the previous DMC games; so maybe it really is down to the framerate. I'm hopeful that even a tougher challenge will feel better and be more fun at 60fps.

Thanks for the answers!

It's very useful to know that the Demon weapons can't be cancelled into dodge; I did not know this, but until recently I wasn't a fan of heavy weapons anyway (and used them as little as possible). Looking forward to diving into this with more experience and patience than I had two years ago.

I'm aware that DMC is a different play style to Bayonetta in general but I still had less difficulty and more fun with the previous DMC games; so maybe it really is down to the framerate. I'm hopeful that even a tougher challenge will feel better and be more fun at 60fps.

I didn't know this either. So basically I stick to a weapon other than a Demon weapon until I'm ready to dodge? This is the first DMC I have played in awhile so I'm still getting the timing down. Also thanks Gbraga for that tip about the Ricoshot. I'm having the most problems with those rage beasts

Dahbomb

Most charge moves break the armor of the chain saw enemies.

Charged Eryx attacks, Drive, charged Round Trip etc. They are just slightly stronger than the trash enemies.

Carbonox

Never considered the chainsaw enemies troublesome. In-fact I relish their appearance cos they're easy to style on.

Only enemies I need to dust off the tech with to get used to styling on are the Dreamwalker ones and its variants. Everyone else I'm used to again.

ciD_Vain

I'd suggest getting the HD Collection and starting with DMC1 and DMC3. The games aren't that long, and set the stage for events to come. DMC1 spawned the entire 3D action genre as we know it. DMC3 is hailed as one of the greats of all time and has aged incredibly well. The HD Collection is also dirt cheap nowadays.

You could start with this game, but it's a DmC game, not a DMC game. It's extremely different in tone, and a completely separate story.
what do you mean by this? DmC/DMC

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
what do you mean by this? DmC/DMC

DMC and DmC are two different series. DMC is the classic series with 4 entries, and a remaster of the fourth coming this summer. DmC is a new and separate series, and this is the OT for the remaster of that game.

Dahbomb

Who will be the first person to conquer GMD/MSM/Hardcore mode?

That man........will not be me.
It's not going to be me either although GMD + Hardcore I will be going for.

Must Style with Hardcore mode enabled makes some of the higher tiered enemies near impossible especially if you are against like double Dreamrunners. You would need to be combo video expert type stuff to pull that off.

But man when someone pulls it off it's going to be glorious.

Game arrived for me <3. I'm just wondering if I have the guts to go Turbo Mode from the beginning. I platinumed the vanilla game but I never tought it was too slow or anything.

Apparently some of the collectible positions are changed?

Turbo Mode doesn't make the game harder. It only makes the game funner.

So there it is.

ZeroX03

Banned
My friend told me he got up to Wave 50 of the Bloody Palace for the King? Yeah, here's your crown trophy and didn't get it. Anyone else? Not far enough ahead to try myself.

Dahbomb

My friend told me he got up to Wave 50 of the Bloody Palace for the King? Yeah, here's your crown trophy and didn't get it. Anyone else? Not far enough ahead to try myself.
Did he get the BP complete screen? Most trophies are awarded when you get the results screen.

ZeroX03

Banned
Did he get the BP complete screen? Most trophies are awarded when you get the results screen.

Yes, no trophy. Game also crashed on him in story mode once and the Hunter boss in Bloody Palace and just ran around in a circle the whole fight not attacking.

Hypron

DMC2?

It was all around bad. The camera. The environment. The speed. The gravity. The story. The lack of character. The enemy types. The bosses. The sound effects. The music.

Everything about it was bad. It felt like sewage in your hands. The only possible redeeming feature was Dante's visual design, but he had the personality of cardboard.

If you haven't played 3, I strongly recommend it. It's considered one of the greatest action games of all time.

Yeah, this. I got all the achievements for the game because I wanted to complete the HD collection entirely and it's just atrocious. Hands down the worse POS I've ever played. Special mention to that invisible fish boss fight in DMD. So terrible... Ha, and that stinger as well. First time I did one I couldn't believe my eyes, it's completely pathetic.

Ghazi

Just got the game! What was the rest of that control scheme someone said where the angel and demon triggers are on LB/LT? I want to start off with that, since it sounds much better.

Found it, thanks Cody!

Welcome to Amiibo hunting. Wait.

I couldn't think of one, but my layout is:
A - Jump
X - Melee
Y - Dodge
B - Special Melee
RB - Lock-on
RT - Shoot
LB - Demon mode
LT - Angel mode
DpadUp - change gun weapon
DpadLeft - change angel weapon
DpadRight - change demon weapon
DPadDown - Devil Trigger

It's the only solution I can come up with. I put DT on Y in DMC4. Gun special is jump and RT. Both attacks are based on DMC4 layout.

Pretty much.

Skipped it originally because of new Dante. Bought the DE because of the old Dante skins.

So far so good, but the manual camera will take some getting used to. The character faces are beyond ugly though. Wow.

Skipped it originally because of new Dante. Bought the DE because of the old Dante skins.

So far so good, but the manual camera will take some getting used to. The character faces are beyond ugly though. Wow.

Increase the camera movement speed and get used to clicking in R3 to snap camera. And trust your ears. Enemies make auditory cues before they attack. And use lock-on more often. Click in R3 while locked-on to cycle between targets.

Dahbomb

Click in L3 to change targets with lock on, not R3.

Gonna start DMD Hardcore/Turbo run in 5 mins and will stream for around 4 hours. My previous streams was me being kinda experimental and sort of re-learning the game on a controller plus trying to get all the collectibles... this DMD run will be more efficient.

BadWolf

Click in L3 to change targets with lock on, not R3.

Gonna start DMD Hardcore/Turbo run in 5 mins and will stream for around 4 hours. My previous streams was me being kinda experimental and sort of re-learning the game on a controller plus trying to get all the collectibles... this DMD run will be more efficient.

Sweet, looking forward to it.

SkylineRKR

Yeah, this. I got all the achievements for the game because I wanted to complete the HD collection entirely and it's just atrocious. Hands down the worse POS I've ever played. Special mention to that invisible fish boss fight in DMD. So terrible... Ha, and that stinger as well. First time I did one I couldn't believe my eyes, it's completely pathetic.

I only played it for about an hour and then quit it. I remember walking on rooftops, enemies hardly to be seen and the level design was very lacklustre. As was the fighting and overall feel of it. It was just so tame and void of style compared to DMC1. The atmosphere, tight controls and feel of DMC1 wasn't there.

Even as a non related hack n slasher, I think this would still be considered a mediocre game.

Top Bottom