• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition |OT| ...And I've got a bigger change log

I know all of this but good luck trying to complete that combo on DMD or higher when enemies are attacking non stop.

Also ranking gets tougher beyond S rank and it's tough to maintain.

Enemy step isn't rewarded and it shouldn't be. The reward is in the fast cancelling itself as long as you use it sporadically. Spamming Calibur enemy step Calibur shouldn't be rewarded anyway.

So doing stuff like Drop ES Helm Breaker is it's own reward.

The thing is, the ranking system is fine. It's because I've played DmC to death on 360 so I know what's coming; even on hardcore mode.

The problem with not being reward for J/Cing is that oh have step back in technical skill and do really bland combo strings.

*and I really dislike having to go through the game 4 times over just to get higher difficulties. :/
Ain't nobody got time for that.

Sesha

DMC3 had a "unlock everything" cheat, but if I remember correctly you couldn't save your game when it was active.

I appreciate at least hard mode being unlocked from the start in DmC. DMC4SE should have that as well. Although now with GMD in addition to the existing difficulties I wish SoS was unlocked from the get-go as well.

DMC3 had a "unlock everything" cheat, but if I remember correctly you couldn't save your game when it was active.

I appreciate at least hard mode being unlocked from the start in DmC. DMC4SE should have that as well. Although now with GMD in addition to the existing difficulties I wish SoS was unlocked from the get-go as well.

If not that, then make it so that you have to beat Nephilim then all the others unlock. To get to GMD you have to go through the game 4 times. C'mon.

ezekial45

Banned
I am four missions away from beating DMD mode. I'm having such a blast. I've put in over 20 hours so far, and I just want more.

This is one of the best remasters I've ever played. It's so damn good. You crushed it, Ninja Theory.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If not that, then make it so that you have to beat Nephilim then all the others unlock. To get to GMD you have to go through the game 4 times. C'mon.

It's a pain, especially when I already beat the PS3 version 4 times. I wish remasters like this could read your trophy data or something and put you back where you were.

You could save with the unlock cheat on the PS2 version though... (not the HD collection)

It's a pain, especially when I already beat the PS3 version 4 times. I wish remasters like this could read your trophy data or something and put you back where you were.
I'm pretty sure DMC4:SE will be like this too.. Which is going to suck unless the Vergil campaign(assuming there is one) is unlocked from the start.

Demoskinos

You could save with the unlock cheat on the PS2 version though... (not the HD collection)

I'm pretty sure DMC4:SE will be like this too.. Which is going to suck unless the Vergil campaign(assuming there is one) is unlocked from the start.

I'd actually be highly impressed if they made an actual campaign for vergil. I just assumed he would be able to play through Dante's missions or something.

theofficefan99

Back when this was released I was totally not digging anything about it, but now I guess I appreciate the over-flamboyant art design. It's quite nice. I'll definitely be checking this out.

Just did Heaven and Hell or whatever its called for Dante, 1 hit kills mobs 1 hit kills me, was really fun actually. Only mobs that sucked were the ninja's and the witches with teh shield but just DT and 1 shot em in the air and its all good. Just spam my pistols to victory. This mode made a TON of red orbs VERY fast. I'm kinda sad no one is buying this game! 230+ friends on psn, all active and not a single one bought this game =\

Have this coming from Amazon, i'm actually super pumped, i was one of the few people that didn't hate the original version (although it being 30fps really made me sad) but this re-release looks amazing

ike_

Have this coming from Amazon, i'm actually super pumped, i was one of the few people that didn't hate the original version (although it being 30fps really made me sad) but this re-release looks amazing

I was in this camp too. My initial playthrough I had this weird appreciation of how unlikable young Dante was. And this is a very hard balance for me to appreciate, so I think Ninja Theory did it quite well.

Once I saw its performance on the PC though I was done with my console version. And my PC was a real POS at the time.

Hugstable

Banned
Well this sucks, I've enjoyed the hell out of this on my Nephalim playthrough as it was my first time going through the game, and now I'm doing SoS Hardcore, but I'm just about to give it up.

The color coded enemies are killing the fun. It's really bad and those shields are just lame. It's really put a hamper on my enjoyment of this game, feels like there is no real way to beat them, I have almost no time without the shield, and it feels hard to take out. And they used to be worse than this? Like who thought this shit was actually a good idea...

So I have a new controller just for DMC. I thought I'd bring it in by testing it on Devil may Cry.
Just uploaded a "Vergil: My Hands" video. DMC: My hands video are about showcasing your personal improvements and execution while also trying to be stylish. Mine showcases Turbo+Hardcore Vergil in Blood Palace that I hope motivates people to really push Vergil to higher ground. Maybe even calm peoples worries about Vergil being potentially meh to play. He's not, he's fun as hell. Doesn't matter what level you're on in BP, you can have combo fun. Would love to see what other people come up with.
:)

Well this sucks, I've enjoyed the hell out of this on my Nephalim playthrough as it was my first time going through the game, and now I'm doing SoS Hardcore, but I'm just about to give it up.

The color coded enemies are killing the fun. It's really bad and those shields are just lame. It's really put a hamper on my enjoyment of this game, feels like there is no real way to beat them, I have almost no time without the shield, and it feels hard to take out. And they used to be worse than this? Like who thought this shit was actually a good idea...

Just get all your upgrades and have fun with Bloody Palace.

Devil Trigger and spending red orbs on devil trigger refilling items on SOS and up is your best friend. >.>

FreeMufasa

Is there a new game + here? So do my abilities and skills carry over to a new game when im finished? Would be a hassle to have to unlock it all again

Hugstable

Banned
Also is there no way to fix the camera in this? It's like even when I'm not locked onto something, the camera still swings around constantly to the enemy. It gets annoying when I try running for the health things sometimes mid fight, and even when not locked in it's just swinging wildly.

Dahbomb

Using the Demon Whip twice trips them and allows them to wack at them while they are undefended. Arbiter breaks their shield fast as well in general. A charged Eryx uppercut launches them and you can do air combos against them.

Also someone has finally beaten Gods Must Die on Hardcore on the PS4 Leaderboards. I just started GMD after a grueling one hour long session with fucking Vergil in DMD mode... that fight in GMD is going to be controller breaking difficult. He really tests your dodging and counter attacking ability.

Toughest fights in DMD mode were double Dreamrunners (and the final non boss fight in the game has you fighting 3 of them) and Vergil... everything else was within limits.

Beat Vergil's Downfall today, and oh man I absolutely love the way he plays! I think I may prefer him over Dante. That doppelganger ability is amazing. I seriously can not get enough of this game; I've put in so many hours this week and I just keep wanting to play more. My goal is to finish up hardcore mode with Dante, and maybe with Vergil, before the FFXV demo comes out, and then I'll sadly have to take a break from the game for a bit. This is by far the best remaster I've ever played; it feels like a whole new game practically, and I love it!

Also is there no way to fix the camera in this? It's like even when I'm not locked onto something, the camera still swings around constantly to the enemy. It gets annoying when I try running for the health things sometimes mid fight, and even when not locked in it's just swinging wildly.

Nope. The thing is, camera control is important because if you can't see an even my they won't attack you. This is true fr Manu games like Bayonetta, DMC and Ninja Gaiden. It still bothers me. Not to mention there were requests to have te ability to move the camera out slightly like in Resident Evil 6.

Roussow

Anyone got any suggestions for awkwardness in the basic control scheme -- it sometimes feels a bit tough to hold the triggers and perform advanced face button combinations -- doubly difficult to do devil/angel dodges with either trigger and L1.

Anyone got any suggestions for awkwardness in the basic control scheme -- it sometimes feels a bit tough to hold the triggers and perform advanced face button combinations -- doubly difficult to do devil/angel dodges with either trigger and L1.

Dante:
A - Jump
X - Melee
Y - Dodge
B - Special Melee
RB - Lock-on
RT - Shoot
LB - Demon mode
LT - Angel mode
DpadUp - change gun weapon
DpadLeft - change angel weapon
DpadRight - change demon weapon
DPadDown - Devil Trigger

Vergil:
A - Jump
X - Melee
Y - Dodge
B - Special Melee
RB - Lock-on
RT - Shoot
LB - Demon mode
LT - Angel mode
DpadUp - Doppelgänger switch
DpadLeft - Doppelgänger Angel
DpadRight - Doppelgänger Demon
DPadDown - Devil Trigger
Both sticks in - Doppelgänger delay

Carbonox

From an achievement perspective I've done all of Dante's stuff so I started Vergil's Downfall yesterday. I did dabble in this on the PS3 version but never really explored it fully which I intend to do now. Takes a while getting used to Vergil but he's fun. Not gonna smash his leaderboards though, will stick to Dante for those shenanigans.

Buzzman

Banned
Hey guys, I've got a question. So I bought DmC on the PC but still haven't played it, now with this definitive edition I hear it's taken some stuff from mods. What mods would those be, if anyone knows?

Roussow

So, finally, after much tweaking, the controls now feel perfect. It was super awkward until I decided to put Angel mode on L1 and Demon mode on L2, that way I can use R1 / R2 for easier dodges. Before trying to pull off a Demon perfect dodge was practically impossible, because you needed to use both your Index and middle fingers on R1 and R2 simultaneously. One being held and the other being tapped at precision points, it was like rubbing your belly and tapping your head at the same time. Now I just have to use my index finger for the bumpers/triggers and can flip between them, I'll never need both R1 and R2 (or L1 and L2) pressed simultaneously again.

Now just to commit this to muscle memory and the last half of the game and Vergils campaign should go smoothly.

One thing though -- you think they should add the function to map the press of two buttons for one action, separate from the individual intended button press? I've being playing a shit tonne of MGR:R, and being able to make dodge X + Square would make things easier to remember.

Edit: I totally misread the suggestion above, and disregarded it -- I ended up coming to the same conclusion (with some tweaks) cheers anyhow, BumblebeeCody -- I might try throwing shoot on the triggers though...

Dante:
A - Jump
X - Melee
Y - Dodge
B - Special Melee
RB - Lock-on
RT - Shoot
LB - Demon mode
LT - Angel mode
DpadUp - change gun weapon
DpadLeft - change angel weapon
DpadRight - change demon weapon
DPadDown - Devil Trigger

Vergil:
A - Jump
X - Melee
Y - Dodge
B - Special Melee
RB - Lock-on
RT - Shoot
LB - Demon mode
LT - Angel mode
DpadUp - Doppelgänger switch
DpadLeft - Doppelgänger Angel
DpadRight - Doppelgänger Demon
DPadDown - Devil Trigger
Both sticks in - Doppelgänger delay

Gonna try this out. The control scheme they give feels really weird.

Also, dislike the fact I have to hold down a button instead of pressing it, in order to change weapons, unless there is a way to do that and I missed it.

Sagely

Good lord does it feel good to play at 60fps with Turbo Mode on. Good lord does it feel bad to get D ranks in Hardcore Mode. My pride :(

I'm only 2 missions in but am loving how much more of a challenge this is in HCM. I find it quite difficult to remember and execute each command in a pinch because of all the different weapons (and Angel/Demon pull moves); but hopefully this will come with practice. Can't remember the last time a game forced me to use so much of the joypad, so consistently. I also love how you can switch weapons mid combo!

The difference between this and vanilla DmC is that I actually want to get better at it. Subsequent playthroughs are going to be so much fun.

Dahbomb

You have to enable the option after clearing the first chapter.
You don't have to clear the first chapter.

Start the first mission, then exit to the Main Menu. From Main Menu select Missions, Mission#1 and after that there's an option to toggle on Turbo.

Dahbomb

I actually have all the Collectibles for the Dante missions but when people ask me on stream how I got some of them I just draw a blank. I never paid attention to collectibles in games. I should've recorded myself.

Speaking of which I will try to record myself trying to beat Vergil on GMD. It's going to be fucking excruciating though I do have a "solid" enough strategy to beating him now.

Carbonox

Vergil Must Die left to do and that's the Platinum Trophy achieved. Will continue to play on though for sure.
Bloodborne isn't out until next Friday in the UK.

This game debuted at number 5 on the UK weekly sales list. I know these lists are half worthless now because they don't track digital sales.... But wtf people? Stop playing your cookie cutter ubisoft 'open world' games and try a tightly developed, gameplay centric action game for once.

This game debuted at number 5 on the UK weekly sales list. I know these lists are half worthless now because they don't track digital sales.... But wtf people? Stop playing your cookie cutter ubisoft 'open world' games and try a tightly developed, gameplay centric action game for once.
Isn't that pretty decent for a remaster though?

Dahbomb

That's better than expected to be honest. Wasn't expecting it to chart at all in top 10.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

That's better than I would have expected for a remaster of this game.

Isn't that pretty decent for a remaster though?

Yeah, I guess. I hope this will get DmC over 2 million in sales. That way the only dmc game with less than 2 million would be dmc2 at 1.7 million. Thus the worst dmc game is also the least selling. Which is strangely not common in entertainment media today. So the definitive edition needs to 350,000 worldwide. If they did a PC release that would have been easily achievable.

Demoskinos

Yeah, I guess. I hope this will get DmC over 2 million in sales. That way the only dmc game with less than 2 million would be dmc2 at 1.7 million. Thus the worst dmc game is also the least selling. Which is strangely not common in entertainment media today. So the definitive edition needs to 350,000 worldwide. If they did a PC release that would have been easily achievable.

Yeah, but I think the changes and tweaks could just be piped in via a patch for PC there is no real gain to an actual full proper separate version of the game. The PC version is obviously still superior from a technical aspect. Its just missing Hardcore Mode, GMD and a lot of the tweaks and changes.

The UK sucks in terms of gaming.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
God of War collection is the only remaster I can recall that came out to big sales numbers. #5 is really good for this game.

Top Bottom