• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition |OT| ...And I've got a bigger change log

Dahbomb

MCC had an immense hype bandwagon and marketing budget... no way that it could've under performed in sales.

Plus it packed in 4 remastered games... if the game was functional it was a MASSIVE value of gaming entertainment. I almost bought an Xbox One because of it.

And like I said before, I don't expect DmC DE to do well starting out but it will continue to sell throughout its life span. It has good metacritic reviews and currently is within the top 5 best reviewed games on XB1 and PS4. Plus now it has "gamer cred" now, people aren't going to tear it a new one for it being brought up.

ezekial45

Banned
The only remaster that I can really recall being a big, big hit is for The Last of Us. And that's because it was a such a massive hit for the PS3 and it was marketed heavily.

Anyway, it's probably best not to get worked up about how this game does. I'd imagine DD sales will account for most of the sales anyway, and those aren't really reported on much.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
MCC had an immense hype bandwagon and marketing budget... no way that it could've under performed in sales.

Plus it packed in 4 remastered games... if the game was functional it was a MASSIVE value of gaming entertainment. I almost bought an Xbox One because of it.

MCC came in at #10 on the November NPD and then dropped off completely. I think it underperformed a bit based on expectations I saw around here.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So technically because it's a new edition we won't get official sales numbers unless it reaches 1 million sales?

Sales numbers will be available if Capcom decides to disclose them or an industry insider decides to leak them. It being a remaster wouldn't preclude the sales being tracked just like normal.

Capcom would report the numbers to financial investors on their Platinum titles if it reaches 1 million, though.

ezekial45

Banned
So technically because it's a new edition we won't get official sales numbers unless it reaches 1 million sales?

Who knows? Capcom doesn't really talk about sales figures, anyway. I'm sure if it'll do well, they'll tell us. After three weeks of RE HD Remaster being on the market, they made that announcement about it being a big hit (fastest sales they've had in years). If DmC is that kinda hit, then we'll get the same news.

For now, it's only been a week. So don't expect to hear anything anytime soon.

def sim

I'll be giving this a rent after I return Xenoverse. A decent character action game is just what I need before Bloodborne and I never did get around to this game last gen or on PC.

Are there any news about a PC version of this thing?

I bet we'll hear something about this right around DMC4:SE's release.

MCC came in at #10 on the November NPD and then dropped off completely. I think it underperformed a bit based on expectations I saw around here.

It sold over 1m as of December and I want to say it's short of 2m as of January NPD. I can't remember which person said the latter in the NPD thread, however. It likely did well.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Really enjoying this game outside of Dante looking like a hobo without his Classic costumes.

Me playing Nephilim Hardcore my first play:

D
D
C
D
D
D
C
D
D
C

...and so it goes.

I guess its to be expected since the first playthrough acts as a tutorial and I need to upgrade. I REALLY need to possibly re-map my controls too. Evade is a bit wonky to use with all of the modifiers on the bottom triggers, especially hitting both the left triggers simultaneously when using that weapon to dodge. Any suggestions for optimal layouts?

Roussow

I guess its to be expected since the first playthrough acts as a tutorial and I need to upgrade. I REALLY need to possibly re-map my controls too. Evade is a bit wonky to use with all of the modifiers on the bottom triggers, especially hitting both the left triggers simultaneously when using that weapon to dodge. Any suggestions for optimal layouts?

Try putting Demon mode and angel mode on the same side of the controller -- Angel or L1 and demon on L2 for example. Leave dodge and lock on R2 and R1 respectively. Makes it 100x easier to pull off dodges in demon/angel mode.

Slaythe

Really enjoying this game outside of Dante looking like a hobo without his Classic costumes.

Me playing Nephilim Hardcore my first play:

D
D
C
D
D
D
C
D
D
C

...and so it goes.

You have no proper abilities on the first playthrough and you kill enemies too fast anyway so it's not like you can do much better...

Put dodge on Circle button. And launcher attack on R2. R1 for demon attacks. It's a great layout.

Some people like to be able to charge shots with guns on the triggers but honestly it's ok you can still do it using two fingers on the regular buttons.

Dpad down should be gun special.

This might not be the "pro layout" but you're gonna have a lot of fun and it will be so much more comfy to play with.

Any chance AF will be fixed? I have no intention to spend my money in a remastered with worse AF of the ps3.

So far, none. But i'm with you on this, let's harass ninja theory on twitter until they at least acknowledge the issue.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Brr trying to practice a bit on chapter one before going forward and get my styling down, but the dumb cinematic interruptions during boss battles really messes with my flow.

Roussow

So -- all of the major changes since the vanilla game in the Hardcore mode only? Do I have to tick that on to get a bunch of the changes? Or are some in the core game as well.

realcZk

Never played through a DMC game before but picked this up. Really enjoying the combat and the intense speed of the action. Been playing on Turbo Mode and it's great. The story/character writing isn't my cup of tea but oh well, the gameplay is dope. Dante kinda reminds me a lot of Delson from Infamous: Second Son in this game with his attitude.

I broke down and bought this last night. Looking forward to playing through it this week.

I couldn't help myself when I saw it, haha

Sagely

I think the classic costumes look like Dante is in bad cosplay with a wig on. Just something off about them.

I think it's because his facial structure and skin tone fit so well with the black cropped hair. I'm actually sticking with the default costume (during the first playthrough at least) for this reason. It's nice to have the choice though, I see a lot of streamers using the DMC1 costume.

Brr trying to practice a bit on chapter one before going forward and get my styling down, but the dumb cinematic interruptions during boss battles really messes with my flow.

I was thinking this exact same thing after booting it up at the weekend. I really want to practice on the early levels with Arbiter and Osiris before going further in, but they do not make it easy. Chapter 3 might be a little bit better, but I'm thinking it'd be best to do the first playthrough quickly and practice on Bloody Palace instead. What would be really nice is an adjustable Training Mode where you could choose the enemy - I would love to practice on specific enemies.

Dahbomb

This just got posted on the DMC facebook page, a video of a GMD no damage run of Hunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNe9QIDBTUA

My frothing demand for this game increases.
I had something like that on stream on too for GMD yesterday (I think I might've gotten hit once).

The big bosses even on GMD are not hard at all to do no damage on. The new Trickster dash makes it really hard for them to land a clean hit on you.

Vergil on the other hand.... LOL!

Edit: Also this is not Hardcore mode. I did it on Hardcore mode.

I swear I'm going to plat this game, all I have left is DMD and VMD... Was going to do VMD first since its only 6 levels. I got killed on the first encounter on level 1=\ Those shielded guys wouldn't break their shields once I killed the other dudes >.>

Yeah, I'm enjoying myself quite a bit now with that on top of hardcore! I just need to get some strategy's down for some enemy types and stop getting confused while swapping weapons.

Swapping weapons is definitely easy to get confused on haha it takes awhile but once i'm in a groove then i do it pretty easily

hbkdx12

Anybody have any basic tips to help juggle guys in the air? I try to spam air attacks but it seems like there's a Timing element to keep them in the air. Is it useless to use demon attacks in the air?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
lol
I absolutely hate "Donte" too.

also I can't find 1 key in the 2nd level, done it 3 times and scoured every nook and cranny. Missing that, which I need for the last secret door, and one lost soul. Fuck guides.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
lol
I absolutely hate "Donte" too.

also I can't find 1 key in the 2nd level, done it 3 times and scoured every nook and cranny. Missing that, which I need for the last secret door, and one lost soul. Fuck guides.

There's a couple plates on the floor that you need to hit with Eryx to move. Those are the easiest to miss.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Spoke too soon lol

1388272948513.gif

Dahbomb

Anybody have any basic tips to help juggle guys in the air? I try to spam air attacks but it seems like there's a Timing element to keep them in the air. Is it useless to use demon attacks in the air?
Easiest way to keep enemies juggled in the air is to just keep alternating between Osiris air combo II and Rebellion air combo II. Use the Angel Whip to chase down enemies you keep relaunching mid air.

The other way is to use enemy step. Do a couple of air hits, press jump on their body and then immediately attack again.

Using weapon swaps a lot can also increase your air time (mixing Osiris/Aquila/Rebellion/E&I/Shotgun w/ Fireworks etc).

You can use Demon weapons too, the lvl2 Slam of Eryx and the Arbiter air Y also gives you good air time. If enemies get knocked down to the ground you can just bring them back to you with the Demon whip.

Certain moves like Slam and Rake (Osiris jump O) have insane air time. You can use these moves in between regular air attacks to have long air time. Basically it's really not that hard at all to have big air time in this game even without using enemy step.

You can literally jump up over a group of enemy and start spamming Rake with Osiris which will keep enemies juggled in the air and you suspended as well. It's cheesy and will give you no style points due to repetition but it will give you that entry point to start having long ended aerial combos.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Did the get the one where you chase after Eva the final time? I believe it's in the place where you get the Angel whip.

Don't think so. I never really checked that hard in the open platformy parts because I didn't think they'd put collectibles there. I'll see.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Decided to go for it (in anticipation for Bloodborne). The original DmC for PS3 made me break a total of two (!) Dual Shocks and I've clearly stated that the game is a massive piece of shit and a waste of time...

Here's hoping 60fps, 1080p, balance changes and turbo mode fixes all of that!

FreeMufasa

Finished it and the games amazing. But did ninja theory just run out of money during development? The second half just feels so, incomplete/rushed.

Yeah, they don't look right on this Dante at all. I do like Vergil's one though. Works far better for him than DMC1 Dante works on NuDante.

I actually feel the opposite. I don't like the classic Vergil look on DmC Vergil, but I'm fine with the classic Dante costumes on Donte.

Alfredo

I was finally able to pick the game up today. This is my first time through DmC, and, holy poop, these controls are complicated. I feel like classic DMC games did so much with a much simpler control scheme. It's gonna take me some time to get used to this.

Top Bottom