• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition |OT| ...And I've got a bigger change log

Dahbomb

Blue dodging is really a pain to do because of that.

Anyway I beat this in 2 days and decided to try out Vergil. Is it just me or does Vergil play like shit compared to Dante?
Vergil plays great! Takes a little getting used to but when you get in the zone with him he's an absolute monster.

ZeroX03

Banned
Alright. He just seems like he has a lot of lag. Doesn't feel as fluid as Dante.

Vergil is all about precision. Just look at how he swings Yamato as opposed to Dante, they're two completely different beasts. He's extremely fun to use, moreso than Dante imo.

Dahbomb

Alright. He just seems like he has a lot of lag. Doesn't feel as fluid as Dante.
Vergil can cancel almost any action into a dodge (even actions you might not think of like a Perfect Slice mid animation) and can use his Demon/Angel Pulls ability MID MOVE (as in they are 0 frame moves).

These two abilities of Vergil make him exceptionally fluid in combat as he can flow in and out of situations very easily.

Vergil can cancel almost any action into a dodge (even actions you might not think of like a Perfect Slice mid animation) and can use his Demon/Angel Pulls ability MID MOVE (as in they are 0 frame moves).

These two abilities of Vergil make him exceptionally fluid in combat as he can flow in and out of situations very easily.

It's actually kind of fun to Launch -> Demon Pull -> Launch -> Demon Pull haha
(I've got no style)
. Does he get more weapons later on, or is it just Yamato and his illusion swords?

Dahbomb

It's actually kind of fun to Launch -> Demon Pull -> Launch -> Demon Pull haha
(I've got no style)
. Does he get more weapons later on, or is it just Yamato and his illusion swords?
Just Yamato and Swords but the Yamato has Angel and Demon modes so they basically act like having 2 more weapons because his moveset gets expanded as if he has an extra Angel and a Demon weapon.

Blue dodging is really a pain to do because of that.

Anyway I beat this in 2 days and decided to try out Vergil. Is it just me or does Vergil play like shit compared to Dante?

Nah, Vergil's complete shit compared to Dante in this game. Infinitely less offensive/defensive options, way way less damage , laughable crowd control compared to what Aquila can do, weaker devil trigger (literally no reason to ever spend DT on anything but Spiral Swords for Vergil), no real double jump (of everything they could have integrated from DMC 3 they brought back this???) etc. etc. His unique enemies and boss are fucking awful as well, people complained about the simon says enemies and the bosses from the vanilla campaign but I'd take any of Dante's enemies or bosses over that stupid thing that throws coral/rock all over the screen and arbitrarily makes itself invulnerable every 10 seconds or godforsaken Hollow Vergil. If it weren't for the fact that his spiral swords are completely broken and that 90% of the enemies his campaign are trash fodder, Vergil would be completely impotent. Not to say that you can't have fun/be good and successful/stylish with Vergil but he's such a fundamentally lesser character than Dante in so many ways unfortunately.

But then again Vergil's always been like that, trades all of the versatility, creativity, options, and complexity of his brother just for a limited number flashier, fancy looking attacks. Anyone who thinks otherwise should watch Shnee's TAS of mission 18 in DMC3 with Dante on DMD, some of the most ridiculous stuff you'll ever see in gaming, at least IMO. Then watch the one with Vergil and see the difference between the two, they're both amazing, but the gulf between the two characters at high level play is honestly pretty gigantic. It's not as pronounced in this game thankfully but I'd still say Dante just on a completely other level mechanically from Vergil, they wouldn't really need separate enemy rosters/Bloody Palace modes otherwise.

Dahbomb

But then again Vergil's always been like that, trades all of the versatility, creativity, options, and complexity of his brother just for a limited number flashier, fancy looking attacks. Anyone who thinks otherwise should watch Shnee's TAS of mission 18 in DMC3 with Dante on DMD, some of the most ridiculous stuff you'll ever see in gaming, at least IMO. Then watch the one with Vergil and see the difference between the two, they're both amazing, but the gulf between the two characters at high level play is honestly pretty gigantic. It's not as pronounced in this game thankfully but I'd still say Dante just on a completely other level mechanically from Vergil, they wouldn't really need separate enemy rosters/Bloody Palace modes otherwise.
You are talking about DMC3 when in DmC that isn't true at all.

I mean, I agree that Vergil/Dante don't need separate enemy roster but Vergil has immense depth once you unlock his Doppelganger form. Just because of that and the fact that Vergil doesn't follow some of the same rules as Dante allows him to have a higher skill cap potential than Dante despite all his tools.

Vergil is also ridiculously over powered in this game.

You are talking about DMC3 when in DmC that isn't true at all.

I mean, I agree that Vergil/Dante don't need separate enemy roster but Vergil has immense depth once you unlock his Doppelganger form. Just because of that and the fact that Vergil doesn't follow some of the same rules as Dante allows him to have a higher skill cap potential than Dante despite all his tools.

Vergil is also ridiculously over powered in this game.

Ehhh if all of Vergil's innate complexity and depth is rooted in a mechanic tied to a finite, limited resource, that is NAGL lol. Shouldn't he get his "immense depth" from his regular movesets and weapons (weapon) instead of from a mechanic that is only going to be triggered periodically during gameplay and only for a short amount of time as well?

Vergil being "ridiculously overpowered" seems pretty silly too when for example Dante can deal like the entirety of the damage Vergil needs to grind through a single "phase" of the Hollow Vergil fight with just 1-2 Arbiter combos or when he can render almost any enemy that's not a boss/butcher/color coded helpless in the air basically infinitely until they die with Aquila's pull in. And as I said before, Vergil's enemy configurations consist of way way more trash mobs than Dante's do, with no real color coded shenanigans and a lot less enemies overall per encounter on average compared to him to boot (less tougher enemies at the very least). This becomes slightly less egregious on higher difficulties, and I'll admit I haven't tried GMD with Vergil in this game (doubt I ever will lol) so maybe that further reduces this disparity but I doubt it would completely eliminate it. Combine overall easier and fewer amounts of enemies compared to Dante, only one real boss fight, and the the huge, braindead damage potential in Spiral Swords and Vergil looks way way tougher than he probably is. Even if he was completely broken, I wouldn't say that's a fundamental plus for him in terms of character design compared to Dante, I'd be more inclined to put that as a negative honestly, especially with the already existing OP gimmicks like the super costumes.

Dahbomb

Damage is irrelevant in the comparison in your situation and here's why.

On higher difficulties using Demon weapons with Dante is generally suicidal especially in GMD mode. You can only use on incapacitated singular enemies (usually large enemies/bosses), in regular combat since you can't cancel them out with a dodge they are a liability.

Vergil does not have this issue at all. All of his powerful moves (any move involving a charge including demon charge moves) are cancelable any time with a dodge. That means that while Dante can on paper dish out more damage on a training dummy... in real combat when you have enemies attacking you can't really use your high damage tools when you want them but with Vergil you can.

Secondly Dante has to choose among actions. He has to choose to not use a Devil Arm to use a Firearm. He has to choose not to attack in order to Pull with his whip. Vergil does not have this limitation. He can fire Spiral Swords while attacking, he can use Spiral Swords while attacking and he can pull enemies or even teleport to them while attacking. This dramatically increases his DPS compared to Dante as he can do simultaneous actions for damage and mobility.

Doppelganger effectively doubles Vergil's output and he can stack with Spiral Swords if he wishes. Per DT used and considering that Vergil can build his DT faster than Dante can, Vergil's overall output is much higher with DT use than Dante.

It's also not about just raw DPS but also speed. Vergil can cover ground much faster than Dante because he can effectively wave dash on the ground. Because he can use his pulls during attacks he can more seamlessly combine attacks with far less downtime in between attacks than Dante which gives him a leg up on style ranking.

The main area where Vergil lacks in comparison to Dante is in crowd control and that's only because of Aquila's Buy In move which is an insane crowd control move. Other CC moves of Dante can be challenged by some of the moves of Vergil like Perfect Slice, Volcano, Spiral Swords etc.

It doesn't matter that Vergil goes up against one boss or against 5 bosses... he would demolish them all. The boss that Vergil does fight is only less difficult than the hardest Dante boss fight which is the final boss fight... Vergil would destroy the big bosses because they are easy as fuck so that's a pointless statement to make. The only reason Vergil doesn't get to fight those bosses are because the mechanics are tuned for Dante.

If we are going to compare them as fundamental character design then obviously Vergil offers less than Dante... he has less weapons and moves in his arsenal and thus has less variety. That goes without saying and that's not at all surprising considering he is not the main character of the game and is featured in a SIDE DLC. It's not even a fair comparison really... fair comparison would be Nero vs Dante in DMC4 where Dante runs circles around Nero in all aspects. Vergil despite being a side character has a solid amount of options and a great deal amount of depth to him with a high skill cap. While Dante is close to being tapped out at high level play, Vergil is not close because people are still finding new tricks to his Doppelganger form.

Slaythe

Guys.

The two modifyers (angel / demon) are fine. Set Dodge on Circle, and launcher attacks on R2, then demon on L1. This way you can do it all with ease.

Also, ps4 users, i jumped like a little girl, NT actually saw my tweet from last week :

b00c3352d4e19b6d4b1d62ca454e9a22.png

They just gained a fanboy forever.

So unexpected they would actually reply to me after a week. Even less unexpected is the fact that they cared. They're awesome.

Demoskinos

Guys.

The two modifyers (angel / demon) are fine. Set Dodge on Circle, and launcher attacks on R2, then demon on L1. This way you can do it all with ease.

Also, ps4 users, i jumped like a little girl, NT actually saw my tweet from last week :

They just gained a fanboy forever.

So unexpected they would actually reply to me after a week. Even less unexpected is the fact that they cared. They're awesome.

The AF?

ezekial45

Banned
Just beat DMD last night, and it was fucking incredible. I tried GMD, but I died in the first encounter. Granted it was on hardcore mode, but I don't think it'll be that much easier on normal.

Has anyone cleared GMD yet?

Dahbomb

Just beat DMD last night, and it was fucking incredible. I tried GMD, but I died in the first encounter. Granted it was on hardcore mode, but I don't think it'll be that much easier on normal.

Has anyone cleared GMD yet?
One person on the Leaderboards beat it on PS4.

I don't think it will be that difficult to beat minus some of the Drek fights, Rages and the final Vergil fights Those will definitely test your patience and limit.

The rest of the game is keeping up on your dodges and being on point with disabling enemy Devil Triggers to start a combo on them.

Edit: Was talking about GMD Hardcore, I think quite a few people have beaten regular GMD mode.

I am also in GMD Hardcore mode on Mission#5 though the Leaderboards haven't updated with my scores yet (they take like a day or so).

ezekial45

Banned
GMD is such a great mode. It's incredibly difficult on the first level, but I'm really enjoying myself.

It truly is the Dark Souls mode for DMC. I really hope DMC4SE will have their take on this.

Vitor711

So, does anyone know what happened to the mods for the PC version that had a lot of the changes introduced in this re-release? I ask because, after getting into the mood to jump back in, everywhere I search comes up empty (http://dmcmods.com/2470-weapons-damage-colored-enemies-2).

Do I really have to go out and rebuy the game? I thought that they said that the reason why they didn't put the definitive version on Steam was because people already modded back in most of the new features. However, it's proving almost impossible to find those files.

ezekial45

Banned
So, does anyone know what happened to the mods for the PC version that had a lot of the changes introduced in this re-release? I ask because, after getting into the mood to jump back in, everywhere I search comes up empty (http://dmcmods.com/2470-weapons-damage-colored-enemies-2).

Do I really have to go out and rebuy the game? I thought that they said that the reason why they didn't put the definitive version on Steam was because people already modded back in most of the new features. However, it's proving almost impossible to find those files.

It's important to know that this isn't simply a supped up console port featuring all the best mods from PC. Granted, they did take a lot of influences from the PC community (removal of the weapon specific foes, tricker/angel dodge, and other other tweaks), a lot of the work from NT for the Hardcore Mode are re-balances and other tweaks and revisions that weren't from the PC mods.

Also, this version has an ungraded graphics engine among other technical tweaks and whathaveyou. So no, this isn't something that could simply be a patch for the PC release. There are substantial changes that have been made for the game. So if, (when), they announce the PC version, you'll have to buy it again.

Vitor711

You have to be signed up on that site to download the mods.

I did sign up - download link still broken. Loads of comments on the forums saying that nothing works anymore. Steam community is the same.

It's important to know that this isn't simply a supped up console port featuring all the best mods from PC. Granted, they did take a lot of influences from the PC community (removal of the weapon specific foes, tricker/angel dodge, and other other tweaks), a lot of the work from NT for the Hardcore Mode are re-balances and other tweaks and revisions that weren't from the PC mods.

Also, this version has an ungraded graphics engine among other technical tweaks and whathaveyou. So no, this isn't something that could simply be a patch for the PC release. There are substantial changes that have been made for the game. So if, (when), they announce the PC version, you'll have to buy it again.

While I appreciate that they put more effort into this than most remasters, it's really not enough for a casual DMC fan like me to be persuaded by. Also, according to Digital Foundry's comparison, the graphics engine 'enhancements' are barely noticeable. The definite release doesn't really look much better than the maxed out PC version from 2 years ago (and is worse in terms of AF on PS4). Apparently the extent of it is slightly higer res textures in some spots which isn't that big a deal.

I'd be interested in the rerelease for two reasons: lock-on and changed rules for color coded enemies and that's it. Not enough to justify a purchase since I wouldn't be going for any of the new modes nor would I likely notice any of the balance changes.

JimPanzer

I'm having a really hard time switching between L2 and R2 weapons. Completely messes up my comobs. I think I finished the fouth stage and best I could get was a B style rating for the whole level.
Please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem.

V_Arnold

Okay, I played through the whole stuff once more, and I am just writing my (rather late, admittedly) review of the remaster.

Honestly, you guys are free to think that I am crazy, but so be it. This game is still a BLAST to replay over and over again. I enjoyed the traversal just as much as I enjoyed it initially.I loved the "big warehouse with tons of dashing/hooking" level the 10th time, I really, really want DMC5 to go into this direction instead of strict, linear, "walk all the way through" levels.

Anyway. Back to the Definitive Edition.
Pros:
+The style system. God damn it, I am weak. It truly demands a varied playstyle (or well-made moves). I could not even dream of good ranks until I finally got all the weapons, and even then, it was not easy AT ALL.
+The enemies are more active. I got reminded of the Arkham Origins game which made Batman's fight system more demanding by simply making enemies more agressive. I can barely finish styling on one enemy, there is always one or two that is making a move. So much more demanding than before
+Color coded enemies no longer stop you from doing your moves. I get it that someone want even less forgiving methods, but then they would not be color coded anymore. I enjoyed being able to finish moves on other enemies without fearing an interrupt just cause my blade touched a red/blue one.
+Less loading. Eh, the original was a bit slow loading for my tastes, but this one is much better. (PS4).
+New gamemodes: Obviously, there is so much to do now. So much....
+Vergil Bloody Palace: The God has returned to his proper place :D
+No more key-matching,yaaay
+With the changes made, and the turbo mode's speed, we will finally be forced to use this combat system to its maximum potential. Heavy switching, tons of space control, CC, clever cancelling, not committing to combos unless they are TRULY safe, all that jazz. VERY satisfying.

Cons:
-Vergil's Downfall is slowing down very frequently. I could not believe my eyes. Not quite the locked 30fps feeling, but there are frequent framedrops. Weird. Optimize it better next time :p
-Lockon...wut: it does not feel organic to use it. I actually stopped using it and the gameplay became much more enjoyable for me. I cant remember any scenario where I missed this.
-Weapon switching is weird now with D-Pad closer to analogue: This must be because I am new to the PS4 joy, but hey. I did not like the demon weapon switches especially, so close to the left analogue... will time solve this? :D

DmC: Definitive Edition is the best western fighting game, and it can easily be considered a good hack'n'slash game with japanese "high standards" too. DMC4/3 might still be more preferrable to HC-DMC fans, but DmC's combat basics are different enough so that it can compete them on its own terms, rather than having to mimic them.

Okay, I played through the whole stuff once more, and I am just writing my (rather late, admittedly) review of the remaster.

Honestly, you guys are free to think that I am crazy, but so be it. This game is still a BLAST to replay over and over again. I enjoyed the traversal just as much as I enjoyed it initially.I loved the "big warehouse with tons of dashing/hooking" level the 10th time, I really, really want DMC5 to go into this direction instead of strict, linear, "walk all the way through" levels.

Anyway. Back to the Definitive Edition.
Pros:
+The style system. God damn it, I am weak. It truly demands a varied playstyle (or well-made moves). I could not even dream of good ranks until I finally got all the weapons, and even then, it was not easy AT ALL.
+The enemies are more active. I got reminded of the Arkham Origins game which made Batman's fight system more demanding by simply making enemies more agressive. I can barely finish styling on one enemy, there is always one or two that is making a move. So much more demanding than before
+Color coded enemies no longer stop you from doing your moves. I get it that someone want even less forgiving methods, but then they would not be color coded anymore. I enjoyed being able to finish moves on other enemies without fearing an interrupt just cause my blade touched a red/blue one.
+Less loading. Eh, the original was a bit slow loading for my tastes, but this one is much better. (PS4).
+New gamemodes: Obviously, there is so much to do now. So much....
+Vergil Bloody Palace: The God has returned to his proper place :D
+No more key-matching,yaaay
+With the changes made, and the turbo mode's speed, we will finally be forced to use this combat system to its maximum potential. Heavy switching, tons of space control, CC, clever cancelling, not committing to combos unless they are TRULY safe, all that jazz. VERY satisfying.

Cons:
-Vergil's Downfall is slowing down very frequently. I could not believe my eyes. Not quite the locked 30fps feeling, but there are frequent framedrops. Weird. Optimize it better next time :p
-Lockon...wut: it does not feel organic to use it. I actually stopped using it and the gameplay became much more enjoyable for me. I cant remember any scenario where I missed this.
-Weapon switching is weird now with D-Pad closer to analogue: This must be because I am new to the PS4 joy, but hey. I did not like the demon weapon switches especially, so close to the left analogue... will time solve this? :D

DmC: Definitive Edition is the best western fighting game, and it can easily be considered a good hack'n'slash game with japanese "high standards" too. DMC4/3 might still be more preferrable to HC-DMC fans, but DmC's combat basics are different enough so that it can compete them on its own terms, rather than having to mimic them.

Great post. Im re visiting it now... And im having a blast. im a Bayonetta devotte, as such DmC feels slow.... But i can get use to it.

Jrmint

Could someone give me some tips for fighting those ninja enemies towards the end of the game? I cannot figure out a good strategy for them.

Devil Hunter difficulty.

psychotron

Enjoying the increase in resolution and frame rate on PS4, but the stutter is annoying me. Just entering new areas can cause a stutter, and if a lot of enemies appear at once it's there. I've also noticed pop-in that I didn't on the 360 version.

Dahbomb

Could someone give me some tips for fighting those ninja enemies towards the end of the game? I cannot figure out a good strategy for them.

Devil Hunter difficulty.
Drekavacs/Dreamrunners?

You need to parry them to expose them to a combo. Fully charged Snakes Eyes (Eryx move, double tap forward Triangle or Lock on Forward plus Triangle) can trip them enough to open them up for a combo and also works as a way to easily parry them out of their teleport.

When you do expose them, immediately use Demon pull to bring him towards you, do a rising Hightime and do a very basic air combo with Rebellion. After like 5-6 hits he will try to counter you in the air after which you have to dodge mid air. If you successfully do this you can pull him mid air into another small combo after which he will try to counter attack again. You can repeat this sequence 3 times if you are able to react to his mid air counter attack and in Devil Hunter this is usually enough to kill him.

Another weird way to beat him is to play the ping pong game with him. The Flush move of Arbiter (same motion as Snakes Eyes but with Arbiter) can hit him but usually he will parry it back at you. You can parry the projectile back at him and it ends up being a ping pong battle. If you do it 2-3 times then he will fail the parry and will get opened up for a combo.

I like almost everything replaying the game but I don't see the point of having Demon Dodge require separate trigger. Why not just have it be the regular dodge since it's timing based anyway. Also I guess the same could be said about Angel Dodge. Why not just have it activate by repeated dodging?

Also funny enough I never use the Lock On feature. I'm too used to the vanilla version I guess :lol.

Dahbomb

I like almost everything replaying the game but I don't see the point of having Demon Dodge require separate trigger. Why not just have it be the regular dodge since it's timing based anyway. Also I guess the same could be said about Angel Dodge. Why not just have it activate by repeated dodging?
That's a fair assessment actually.

Even in standard game play... you are never making the choice between doing demon vs angel dodge. You are always doing demon dodge first (for the regular looking dodge) then you chain into the 2-3 angel dodges.

It really is an unnecessary extra execution requirement.

zoobzone

I have just finished DMC on PS4.

The blue trigger + dodging is a pain to use indeed, I actually had to change the way I hold my controller just to make it work.

The lack of AF is very noticeable in the later chapters, at one point Dante's hand looked like one mega block of pixel on my screen. (I use SSD on my PS4, so it's not a texture issue.)

I found Vergil's downfall much more interesting compared to the main game, Vergil is also more fun to use and definitely feels much stronger.
However the DLC crashed multiple times for me, once during Chapter 4 in the cutscene with the blue heart and multiple times when I tried to start Chapter 6.

This game would've been much better if they spent more time polishing the issues.

I actually set target lock on down on the d-pad. Obviously it's on toggle mode.

That leaves angel and demon evade easy to perform since both L1 and R1 are open to evasion.

DmC was originally designed as to where auto target lock was mostly ok. So I don't really need to use it that much unless there is a specific enemy I want to target.

Which it is then odd to say that targeting the Witches is glitched. She's one of those enemies that you do want to target lock and isolate.

I also wish they would get rid of the color enemies completely. What they did was a nice halfway gesture, but just get rid of them.

When I see a blue rage and a red rage I just say fuck it and devil trigger. It's just not fun. Let me use my weapons. Each of the weapons in DmC has less depth per weapon than previous DMC games, but collectively, the combined weapon depth that DmC offers is solid when you have a full arsenal. If a weapon can't stun-lock an enemy, and it only does a fraction of the damage, it more or less becomes pointless unless you're in a situation when you can utilize a powerful charged Demon weapon attack.

What are they doing? Just get rid of it. I think they originally included color coded enemies as a means to force players to experiment with all weapon types. But looking at how people play, everyone naturally mixes weapons up anyway since the increasing the style gauge is so addicting by default anyway.

Dahbomb

There are still some tricks you can do against Blue enemies to use multiple weapons against them thanks to stuff like Round Trip comboed with Drive or Demon weapons but against Red enemies you generally have to use the Red weapons with the occasional Rebellion because Blue weapons are still pretty useless against Red enemies.

Probably the best time to use DT aside from multiple Drek fights.

Slaythe

There are still some tricks you can do against Blue enemies to use multiple weapons against them thanks to stuff like Round Trip comboed with Drive or Demon weapons but against Red enemies you generally have to use the Red weapons with the occasional Rebellion because Blue weapons are still pretty useless against Red enemies.

Probably the best time to use DT aside from multiple Drek fights.

Exactly blues let you do anything you want. with red you need to mix air pulls or launchers then do whichever.

You still do plenty of damage tho.

I think it s ok. Plus only some enemies are troublesome which i dont mind.

psychotron

Ok, here's a few examples of the annoying stuttering I keep seeing on the PS4 version. Am I getting too sensitive to it in my old age, or are games just not running as smooth as they used to?

This seems to be one area where it happens, which is just after a checkpoint, or entering a new area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdnODsspBP0

It may be harder to see in this because of the 30fps limit, but as I run up the stairs it gets very choppy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FPHip9HSFc

Sagely

This game is so much fun, I want to return to earlier chapters every time I get a new weapon just to practice with the new roster. I have to concentrate very hard to pull off good combos, but it's so rewarding to see the occasional A or S when it does happen! Not sure how easy that's going to be once I have two of each weapon, since that will factor in D-pad switching in addition to all the other buttons I have to press. Still can't wait to have the full set as Hardcore Mode is really quite challenging.

On a less positive note, I've been skipping every single cutscene without hesitation because Kat is so boring and submissive. It really bugs me how weak a character she is, and some of her alternate designs looked much more formidable which makes me feel like her character was a missed opportunity. She's little more than a prop as it is.

Stormus

Just picked this up on XONE. I've never played a DMC game before, should the first play-through be in turbo mode? I'm pretty pumped.

mekes

Anybody figured out what the patch does yet? I wont get a chance to play until the weekend.

Edit. PS4 version

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well after having finished this I will say the combat is great and the final boss fight was amazing! However I liked almost nothing else about the game so if Ninja Theory can make things better for their later titles I'll be considering a purchase.

Sesha

Just picked this up on XONE. I've never played a DMC game before, should the first play-through be in turbo mode? I'm pretty pumped.

Yes, absolutely. As it is, the base game is pretty slow by comparison. If anything we need several different speed options, not just turbo on/off.

i-Lo

Anybody figured out what the patch does yet? I wont get a chance to play until the weekend.

Edit. PS4 version

I want to know as well. I have been on the fence about buying this due to the mess the outsourced devs made of AF.

I turned on turbo mode after the first mission and like it. It's smooth, and feels the same but a bit faster.

I thought I'd notice the speed increase more than I have, though. Maybe I'll need to switch back and remind myself.

I liked the game better the first time through last-gen, but still think it's very sold. I've just been in a funk as of late, with depression, so maybe that's affecting things.

Ghazi

Glad to see you liked it.

Anyway, here's a cool combo video with the DMC1 costume.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=12&v=Z3ysd9zQiKo

That's pretty awesome. Lots of variety there, more than I thought. I just hate starting off gimped because I've been playing DMC4 with everything unlocked for the past four years, so I haven't really played DmC much to unlock stuff, I have nothing beyond Osiris, the axe, and Rebellion. Guess I should do that at some point.

Sesha

I was thinking today that all the weapons should have been Angel weapons, as those happen to be the most interesting in terms of mechanics and move sets.

pizzacat

Banned
Just beat the regular game for the first time.

Did not like how Vergil became a super villain at the end. I literally laughed out loud when he said "Now we will rule!".

I did it on the hard mode that's already unlocked (nephelim?). Going to play VDF next :)

I was thinking today that all the weapons should have been Angel weapons, as those happen to be the most interesting in terms of mechanics and move sets.
Demon set had some nice AoEs that can be followed up with angel set combos. So much possibilities

Dunno how people can downplay this game. It might be in my top five games of all time. Everything about it is just perfect. Just completed Lilith's Club level (second playthrough) and I can barely get over the spectacle. It is literally both video and audio porn. It looks and sounds absolutely astounding - and when you can back that up with damn near perfect gameplay (by far my favourite DmC moveset) it's just honestly... Mind boggling.

Top Bottom