• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition |OT| ...And I've got a bigger change log

Played through this again, and enjoyed it, but definitely liked it more the first time through. Though turbo mode is fantastic!

The damn thing crashed on me once during Virgil's Downfall. It crashed back to the dashboard on Xbox One, and made a loud buzzing noise. (Physical disc)

Stormus

Picked this up yesterday, and I'm on mission 4. I'm really enjoying Turbo Mode, but holy hell does this game throw a lot combos/moves at you to remember.

SCChappy

Banned
I entered into a locked door, and I spawned into the mission as just a sword. Dante himself is invisible. I couldn't move until I failed the mission, now I'm just a fucking sword.

Vergil Endurance Combo 3 is up!
So, I started an idea just after I got banned (again), Endurance Combos. Really push Vergil to much higher level.

What are Endurance Combos?
1) Set DmC to 'Turbo, Must Style Mode, Hardcore on Hell and Hell difficulty'.
2) Find any enemy you want to combo with and use as much as your moveset on them. Once you feel you've used enough moves, continue to combo the enemy by repeating moves you've already use before. This with keep the enemy in the combo but you not gain any Style Rank meter.
3) Combo for as long as possible until you feel you've done enough, dropped the combo or the enemy some how died.

Why does this work?
Must Style Mode forces you to alternate between Dantes/Vergils entire move-set. You are punished with less style points and then eventually no points which causes the Style Rank to rapidly decrease, to the point you then have no moves left to gain Style Rank. Because of this "exploit", you then have the ability to use your entire move-set without gaining any rank. (Think Training Mode without the white room). Thus all of your moves do no damaged; since you must be in S Rank to do damage. Now you can have fun doing no damage combos!

Also would be cool to see if there are any other people on here who are looking to do a multi-player collaboration combo video :)
This thread kinda died but I think it'd be an interesting idea to get some of you guys in this OT doing some combo videos :D
PM me if you're interested

Combo tournament just announced too: http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregama...definitive-edition-style-tournament---round-1

The time has come, my friends, and so, I daresay, have we all. We’ve arrived at an exciting point in time for Devil May Cry fans, with DmC: Definitive Edition freshly out on new-gen consoles and Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition on the way this summer for consoles and PC. That’s more stylish action in a year than the universe typically gets in several. And with the video sharing capabilities of new consoles, I reckon it’s time to put that style on display. And so begins the age of the Style Tournament. Read on to see how you can play and what you might win.

Game: DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition (PS4/Xbox One)

Concept: This tournament will consist of four standard rounds plus one decisive final round, for a total of five rounds—one each week.

Each round will begin on Friday morning, with the rules for that round--including character, difficulty, gameplay modifiers, Mission, and “fight”--announced via a Capcom Unity blog post. Players will have the weekend to play and record a stylish combo video, to be submitted to us by noon (Pacific Time) the following Monday.

Video submissions will be pared down to a Top Ten* by a team of judges here at the Capcom office. These Top Ten videos will then be presented on the blog Wednesday morning (Pacific Time), and put to a community vote. The creator of the video with the most votes will become a Finalist and receive an awesome prize.

*In the event that there are fewer than ten submissions, all submissions will be put to community vote. I’ll also be kinda sad.

In Round 5, the four Finalists will compete against each other in one final, freestyle round. The recipient of the most votes will win the Grand Prize.

More at the link.

Looks like a patch went up to fix anisotropic filtering on the PS4. The roundtrip/lockon/witch issue seems to be addressed also.

Perfect, I'll return to finish this once I'm done with PoE. I hope we get some comparisons. Kudos to Ninja Theory (or whoever was responsible) for fixing it unlike some others I could name.

SkylineRKR

Continued Vergil's Downfall and the IQ is lovely now. Ground looks actually like ground. It really does make a big difference.

DOWN

Banned
PS4's AF issue has been patched

df0791fea0a86cbe76f50fd31a3d70eb.png

Proving once and for all it wasn't on AT ALL.

No performance hit noted in the game so far.

PS4's AF issue has been patched

Glad to see that got patched.

That being said, I've come across a huge issue with the combat. For some reason, doing shoot and basic melee, makes the game think you did a special melee. This isn't hard either. Just press shoot and basic melee at the same time. The problem is that while doing air combos you'll end doing an unintended Helmbreaker into a pit of death. It seems like it's a bug with the game registering inputs. As a result, the combat (Vergil especially) has this huge glaring flaw that hinders aerial gameplay.
I've put this up on Capcom-unity but if enough people make enough buzz about it, we could also get this patched too. It's pretty important, especially with Vergil.

Sesha

Finally. Good luck to everyone that's participating. I won't as I don't own a PS4X1 and there's no PC version.

Glad to see that got patched.

That being said, I've come across a huge issue with the combat. For some reason, doing shoot and basic melee, makes the game think you did a special melee. This isn't hard either. Just press shoot and basic melee at the same time. The problem is that while doing air combos you'll end doing an unintended Helmbreaker into a pit of death. It seems like it's a bug with the game registering inputs. As a result, the combat (Vergil especially) has this huge glaring flaw that hinders aerial gameplay.
I've put this up on Capcom-unity but if enough people make enough buzz about it, we could also get this patched too. It's pretty important, especially with Vergil.

I'll make a post.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sooo... now that the AF issue's been fixed on the PS4, does that make it better than the Xbone version? As I recall, there's still screen tearing in that one.

ghibli99

I just started this the other day, having rented it on a whim from GameFly. After the first two chapters, I'm returning the disc tomorrow and have already ordered my own copy. Game is SO good, and in a number of ways, it's at least as good as Bayo 2, and in some ways better. Totally surprised by how much fun and high-quality this is!

jamsy

So...what are the chances of us seeing a PC version of the DE?

I've wanted to play this game but have been holding off ever since this was announced for consoles...

Dahbomb

Some weird mechanics attached to locking on in DmC DE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNeAafUFX_8

Everyone knows about the crazy tracking with the locking on but definitely did not that with lock on you have higher relaunches and better hit boxes on moves. Might be glitches/bugs but they will actually make for more interesting combat applications.

ezekial45

Banned
So...what are the chances of us seeing a PC version of the DE?

I've wanted to play this game but have been holding off ever since this was announced for consoles...

I'm sure it'll come eventually, but I don't know if it'll happen soon.

Everyone knows about the crazy tracking with the locking on but definitely did not that with lock on you have higher relaunches and better hit boxes on moves. Might be glitches/bugs but they will actually make for more interesting combat applications.

That's really interesting. I like seeing people experiment with the system. I'm curious to see if this will result in any cool technique.

MechaX

I ducked and dodged this game for a long time, but I picked up the PS4 version today on a whim. Surprisingly enough, I'm actually kind of liking it after getting a few missions in. I don't like it as much as Rising, and I haven't played Bayonetta 2 yet. But it has been pretty solid so far.

New Dante is... okay. I find his actual design to be hideous, and the Classic Dante skin isn't great, but it's a hell of a lot better in my opinion. I wish that all cutscenes kept him in whatever costume he was wearing as opposed to like 70% of them. As much as the visuals and whatnot in Limbo is pretty interesting, the story and dialog is complete bollocks, probably more so than other DMC games. Usually, I'm just tunning out while Serious Exposition Vergil drones on.

But at least the combat is pretty solid. Although, I haven't encountered the pure color-coded enemies yet (or if I have, rebellion shreds through them for the most part anyway), so we'll see.

Sesha

Here's a Vergil combo video by BumblebeeCody. He hasn't posted so yet so I took the liberty of doing it.

That is neat, and of course it was michellegun who discovered it. I love every little discovery that gives this game a bit more depth.

I think it would be interesting if DMC-GAF could collaborate on making a video, or a series of videos, or some kind of visual guide detailing the various intricacies of DmCs combat system, to try and dispel this notion that it has a shallow combat system.

Here's a Vergil combo video by BumblebeeCody. He hasn't posted so yet so I took the liberty of doing it.

That is neat, and of course it was michellegun who discovered it. I love every little discovery that gives this game a bit more depth.

I think it would be interesting if DMC-GAF could collaborate on making a video, or a series of videos, or some kind of visual guide detailing the various intricacies of DmCs combat system, to try and dispel this notion that it has a shallow combat system.

Oooh thanks! See I was going to post it but I didn't want to bump a thread by plugging myself. But yeah, I'm pretty happy with that video. I utilised a lot of tech some people may not have seen and found some new stuff at the same time. I did find the stomp/lock-on/flight glitch but just never got around to making videos on it but you can actually find that in my endurance combo videos. I do think I have a unique playstyle to Vergil too where all 3 components are used (Doppelganger especially) so I'll definitley start making some tutorials. Thanks Sesha :)

I mean...if you thought Table Hopping with Nero was fast...

cl57PF8.gif

And I have lot's more :)

TEJ

I just bought it yesterday due to gafs recommendation.

After tweaking the controls a bit this is waaaaaaaaay better than the original release. I'm having a lot of fun with it now.

OCD Guy

Just bought the digital download from the UK psn, it's on sale for £19.99 but it cost £18.04 (using cd keys for £20 credit using 5% code).

I've actually never played a devil may cry game but having enjoyed bayonetta recently I thought it was too good to not pick it up.

Just waiting for it to download

Dahbomb

Just a reminder that we are in the final phase of the DmC Style tournament and we are down to 4 entrants:

Round 1 - Kyosuke
Round 2 - MA16v3
Round 3 - SteeleSerpent
Round 4 – Zeno Xyvorean

These 4 will be having a final showdown for the grand prize.

Rules:

General rules from previous rounds apply, EXCEPT:

-This round is only open to our four Finalists.

-Each Finalist must submit TWO video clips—one for Dante and One for Vergil.

-Each player is free to choose the difficulty, gameplay modifiers (Turbo Mode, Hardcore Mode, Must Style, Super Dante/Vergil), Mission, and fight.

-As before, each clip must be under sixty seconds. To be clear though, that’s sixty seconds EACH, not total.

Seems there's more creative freedom in the final round and as such they have given them more time. The videos should be up soon I think as the deadline for entries just passed.

Unit24

What kind of custom control schemes do you guys use? I can't seem to find anything that works for me. Dodging and locking on ends up feeling awkward no matter what.

Dahbomb

What kind of custom control schemes do you guys use? I can't seem to find anything that works for me. Dodging and locking on ends up feeling awkward no matter what.
You can keep Dodge on R1 and have lock on be a toggle by making it R3. That way you can have lock on while still having two button dodging.

Another way to do it is to have Dodge be on Square and Shoot be R1, Gun Special be L1 with Lock on Toggle R3. There aren't really any times where you need to rapid fire guns a lot, usually it's just better to charge them and release them so having it on a Shoulder button is actually most optimum.

I know this has probably been asked to death but did they fix the textures on the ps4 version? I remember seeing how rough they were in a comparison to other versions.

Top Bottom