• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC: Devil May Cry - Demo Thread [Demo out now on XBL & PSN]

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I played the demo and really really liked it. I've enjoyed all the DMCs, sure I don't think it's as good as 1 or 3, but I really like what they did with it. I don't have a problem with the VA or characters, I thought they were all awesome tbh.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Fuck it, I liked the Mundus fight. Best final boss in a DMC game in my view. "What about Vergil?", you say? You had already fought him twice so the impact wasn't the same and quite frankly, Vergil 2 was more fun than Vergil 3 to me anyway AND had better music.

Conan-san

So much sexual tension in this thread. I love it. This is what drives DmC's cutscenes.

Given that this game's ideal of sexual tension is a vomit spewing thing that reports itself to be a "Succubus" and a woman being quite literally skull-fucked though a matrix plughole I kinda doubt that.

There's more sexual tension in your average early Mickey Mouse cartoon.

Since the DMC HD thread is dead, checking in here on my progress for DMC1 HD DMD. After getting stuck at Vergil 2 I'm now at Nightmare 1. I am mindfucked.

Halp

Caddle

After playing the demo I went back to DMC4. The 60 fps is nice, and I can see why some are complaining, but the fucking camera is a nightmare. I personally like what they have done with the new game, and hopefully they isn't any of that back tracking bullshit.

jett

D-Member
After playing the demo I went back to DMC4. The 60 fps is nice, and I can see why some are complaining, but the fucking camera is a nightmare. I personally like what they have done with the new game, and hopefully they isn't any of that back tracking bullshit.

Yeah the camera in DMC4 is a disastrous relic from DMC1. And NT said there is no backtracking in the game.

mr_nothin

Banned

Dude sounds like an asshat. Of course ppl are going to tie "less charged state" to the DmC/Gregman fiasco. He didnt clarify anything about the statement. The way he wrote it made it seem like he was charged about the response or w/e.
He's talking about everybody being mad and overreacting and stuff but wasn't he one of the ones doing exactly that? Now he's acting holier than thou.

Lets look at something for contrast.....

Watch the 1st minute and a half of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQWOe1gtYng

He's overreacting, borderline disrespectful, and arrogant as hell. It's the exact same thing he's complaining about in the video up there.

Kouichi

He's overreacting, borderline disrespectful, and arrogant as hell. It's the exact same thing he's complaining about in the video up there.

Wow. I've never watched his videos before and, while I don't think it's fair for me to judge him based the minute and half of that video, that was pretty bad. I did not want to continue watching.

jett

D-Member
EventStatus is the very definition of a fucking asshole as far as I'm concerned. Not only that, there's no substance in anything he says. Wish people would stop giving him the time of day, at least here.

Dahbomb

Dude sounds like an asshat. Of course ppl are going to tie "less charged state" to the DmC/Gregman fiasco. He didnt clarify anything about the statement. The way he wrote it made it seem like he was charged about the response or w/e.
He's talking about everybody being mad and overreacting and stuff but wasn't he one of the ones doing exactly that? Now he's acting holier than thou.

Lets look at something for contrast.....

How about you read the actual exchange between Gregaman and EventStatus before making comments like that?

Greg's messages:

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg605/Main_Event_TV/GregmanMessagesEvent1...

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg605/Main_Event_TV/GregmanMessagesEvent2...

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg605/Main_Event_TV/GregmanMessagesEvent3...

EventStatus' reply to Gregman (Screenshots)

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg605/Main_Event_TV/IreplytoGregman1.jpg

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg605/Main_Event_TV/IreplytoGregman2.jpg

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg605/Main_Event_TV/IreplytoGregman3.jpg

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg605/Main_Event_TV/IreplytoGregman4.jpg

As you can tell the conversation is straightforward and respectful. EventStatus brings up legit concerns with the game, the PR and the situation at CU concerning his videos (just so you know mods outright ban any EventStatus videos outright or at least used to. They also banned him).

You are obviously not familiar with the history of EventStatus and the whole DMC PR/"Pro" fans/CU debacle. He is not talking about the entire "pro" fans just specific ones who attack him personally and make the game/community look bad. People who call him racial slurs, claim he doesn't have a job or call him an "asshat". He has no problem with people calling him that, just make a video of it yourself and call him out to his face. What you are doing is exactly the kind of stuff he is talking about... complaining about complainers behind their back on other forums.

I don't deny that he tends to overreact and be arrogant but he tells it how it is. The problem is that we don't have enough of these type of people putting game companies and game journalists on blast. And he just doesn't do it to Capcom either, he goes on a tirade against EA a lot too.

TreIII

I don't deny that he tends to overreact and be arrogant but he tells it how it is. The problem is that we don't have enough of these type of people putting game companies and game journalists on blast. And he just doesn't do it to Capcom either, he goes on a tirade against EA a lot too.

This. So very much this.

rvy

Banned

Dahbomb spreading the truth. High five.

I don't know who this dude is, but he does come across as a complete hypocrite after watching a portion of both vids.

He's basically the ebonic version of Angry Joe. Yell the loudest to attract attention for those who have the time of day to give it to him.

I doubt he has any kind of DMC expertise, certainly not more than me or probably not more than the average GAFFer, but he does do (in video form) what others talk about in posts when it comes to certain things that publishers do to alienate consumers.

Unfortunately, given the way he talks and acts, he's the last person I would want representing me and the DMC fanbase, but I think the point is that he at least tries. However, a lot of video involves him -> "yelling loudly and angrily at his camera" and then making another video "telling people to calm down and think rationally." It's like he's feeding fire to to the flame to get youtube hits, then his brain kicks in and he releases another video for damage control.

Since the DMC HD thread is dead, checking in here on my progress for DMC1 HD DMD. After getting stuck at Vergil 2 I'm now at Nightmare 1. I am mindfucked.

Halp

First off, no it's not. Post in it, bump it up. If everyone keeps assuming it's dead than nobody would post in it.

Anyway, if you'd be a bit more specific it would help me out - i.e, what part of the fight is bothering you. A specific move? Do you feel you're not doing enough damage, building enough guage etc?

- Ifrit is great. I'm a fan of Ifrit in general, that's boss. Bitches use Alastor.
- Rolling Blaze is a near must. Even moreso for Nightmare version 3.

I'm going to assume you know the general concept of Nightmare. He can't be damaged with nightmare beta, and you can only attack his core after you activate the one of the runes on the battle map. He reveals his core for different durations of time after he attacks.

Also, get grabbed. That's easy damage. Grenade Rolling also helps in regards to getting DT guage back. You want to use the 2 handed taunt. (Press and hold R2 hard) This will build 2 DT guages. You cannot taunt solitary confinement for DT guage btw.

As for defense - know that Nightmare's spike attacks (where he launches a spear of his skin towards you in groups of 3) occurs mostly after his machine gun spheres. The best way to avoid the machine gun spheres is to simply never double back your steps. The problem comes with the 3 spears that come after this. He'll usually have a tell-tale sign by quickly rotating his body 180 degress towards you, if you're on the other side of his "face" obviously. Rolling Blaze works well to deflect these.

Guided Missile Waves, you should try two things. Rolling Blaze, as it will knock the missiles back and damage Nightmare. Or, if you have at least 7 DT guages, perform a few Inferno's. They will protect Dante, cause AoE damage on the sphere itself, AND reflect the missiles back. Timing is important, so know that the missles have an up-arch before they go towards Dante.

As for offense. I usually do a (Non-DT). Grenade, cancel into a regular Kick 13. Grenade, cancel into a regular Kick 13. I find this does okay damage and builds strong DT meter. Throw in a taunt if you want as well. If you have a good amount of DT meter to burn, throw in a DT'ed Inferno after performing a few Grenade shot-Kick 13 cancels. The Rolling Blaze as you jump up in the air to perform Inferno will also compound on the damage.

I can get into the nitty gritty but I think this should be okay. I know my perspective for the Nightmare fights was I did the same strats in Hard, but I was just better with my defense. I know that doesn't help though. Nightmare 3, now that's a tough one for first timers.

Also, as an note - for those missiles he shots, you can actually avoid them by doing forward hop and backwards flip back and forth. I.e, back flip, then front flip - rinse and repeat. If your timing is right. The pattern of the missiles will miss Dante altogether.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yeah the camera in DMC4 is a disastrous relic from DMC1.

I've yet to play a character action game with a good camera, DmC demo included. Fast moving characters and good camera work don't seem to mix.

Learn to deal is all I can say.

Finally tried the demo, hated it.
Extremely generic feeling, controls feel convoluted and unresponsive.
It just isn't fun.

Only thing i'd say I liked about it is how much better the newer DmC Dante design is.

ultim8p00

Banned
He's basically the ebonic version of Angry Joe. Yell the loudest to attract attention for those who have the time of day to give it to him.

I doubt he has any kind of DMC expertise, certainly not more than me or probably not more than the average GAFFer, but he does do (in video form) what others talk about in posts when it comes to certain things that publishers do to alienate consumers.

Unfortunately, given the way he talks and acts, he's the last person I would want representing me and the DMC fanbase, but I think the point is that he at least tries. However, a lot of video involves him -> "yelling loudly and angrily at his camera" and then making another video "telling people to calm down and think rationally." It's like he's feeding fire to to the flame to get youtube hits, then his brain kicks in and he releases another video for damage control.

First off, no it's not. Post in it, bump it up. If everyone keeps assuming it's dead than nobody would post in it.

Anyway, if you'd be a bit more specific it would help me out - i.e, what part of the fight is bothering you. A specific move? Do you feel you're not doing enough damage, building enough guage etc?

- Ifrit is great. I'm a fan of Ifrit in general, that's boss. Bitches use Alastor.
- Rolling Blaze is a near must. Even moreso for Nightmare version 3.

I'm going to assume you know the general concept of Nightmare. He can't be damaged with nightmare beta, and you can only attack his core after you activate the one of the runes on the battle map. He reveals his core for different durations of time after he attacks.

Also, get grabbed. That's easy damage. Grenade Rolling also helps in regards to getting DT guage back. You want to use the 2 handed taunt. (Press and hold R2 hard) This will build 2 DT guages. You cannot taunt solitary confinement for DT guage btw.

As for defense - know that Nightmare's spike attacks (where he launches a spear of his skin towards you in groups of 3) occurs mostly after his machine gun spheres. The best way to avoid the machine gun spheres is to simply never double back your steps. The problem comes with the 3 spears that come after this. He'll usually have a tell-tale sign by quickly rotating his body 180 degress towards you, if you're on the other side of his "face" obviously. Rolling Blaze works well to deflect these.

Guided Missile Waves, you should try two things. Rolling Blaze, as it will knock the missiles back and damage Nightmare. Or, if you have at least 7 DT guages, perform a few Inferno's. They will protect Dante, cause AoE damage on the sphere itself, AND reflect the missiles back. Timing is important, so know that the missles have an up-arch before they go towards Dante.

As for offense. I usually do a (Non-DT). Grenade, cancel into a regular Kick 13. Grenade, cancel into a regular Kick 13. I find this does okay damage and builds strong DT meter. Throw in a taunt if you want as well. If you have a good amount of DT meter to burn, throw in a DT'ed Inferno after performing a few Grenade shot-Kick 13 cancels. The Rolling Blaze as you jump up in the air to perform Inferno will also compound on the damage.

Mind explaining what the fuck that means?

I played the demo and really really liked it. I've enjoyed all the DMCs, sure I don't think it's as good as 1 or 3, but I really like what they did with it. I don't have a problem with the VA or characters, I thought they were all awesome tbh.

Better watch out before somebody declares you a blind DmC fanboy.

Old, maybe, but the Steam page seems to have been updated with the price and pre-order stuff.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/220440/

I see no mention of Vergil, boo.

Did not know that the PC version is 49.99. And I don't think anyone thought the Vergil DLC was going to be in the PC version with it coming out only 10 days after the console versions. The original assumption was that the PC version was coming out like, 2 to 4 months after the console releases.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
SaltShaker.jpg

ultim8p00

Banned
He's the black version of Angry Joe. It might make more sense if you actually saw Angry Joe videos. They literally do the same thing. I guess it's the new "it" thing for youtube related gaming videos. Act pissed off all the time.

Yeah, that's pretty obvious. What does ebonics have to do with him being black? Why not just call him the black version? He certainly wasn't speaking in "ebonics" or anything.

dan2026

Are people still complaining about this game?

Its admirable but they are not going to change it now.

Its out in January for better or worse.

Dahbomb

Are people still complaining about this game?

Its admirable but they are not going to change it now.

Its out in January for better or worse.
Well new cutscenes were unveiled and they were underwhelming. It is what it is. Opinions on the game are pretty much set in stone at this point. The current point of discussion is about the whole EventStatus/Gregman discussion. I applaud Capcom for at least reaching out to someone in the community and EventStatus for keeping his composure in the exchange. Some people can't see that behind the angry rants.

jett

D-Member
That camera is shit for a game like NG or DMC.

What the fuck? It's by far the best camera system in the genre since you don't have to babysit it one single second. It always shows exactly what you need to see. You don't think about it at all.

ezekial45

Banned
It's interesting you posted a link the Pro DmC guy's video. I don't like linking to Event, but this will help give some clarity. Here's a video of Event Status of flipping out over the Pro DmC guy posted above.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xt...e-dmc-part-5-prologue_videogames#.UNEeE4a0KuJ

Just look at the description. He posted links to this guy's personal accounts on facebook and OKcupid pages and had his fans harass him.

I have no idea who this clown is, but you’re not going to call me the fuck out and think you’re going to make a name for yourself trolling over this DMC situation, when you don’t give a damn about it. You want to be famous, then I’ll make you famous for all the wrong reasons. Then you want to try and make things personal? Over some fucking game videos? Well let’s get personal then! SHOTS FIRED!!

I removed the links to the person's facebook account and dating site profile, you can still find it present in the video description at the link.

I find it hillarious that he tries to take the high ground after doing this. I hope this make you guys realize what kind of person this is. He's an attention whore who's instigating angry fan base for views. He thinks he's 'famous' now because Greg from Capcom contacted him. Honestly, all that did was boost his ego.

I know you guys want your concerns heard, I understand that; but this is not the guy you want. He literally does no research on this matter at all, he just spreads whatever information AND misinformation about the game that his fans give him, and runs with it. He's the one that spread rumors about the game's false ending, he's the one that spread the lie that Antoniades threatened people with lawyers over the "ending" details, and he's the one that IS making the DMC fan base look like assholes by misrepresenting the game and trying to pass this vapid and intellectually dishonest argument that DmC is an anti consumer product. I bet you all money, that if this game fails, he will attempt to take credit for it. He's an ego driven talking head on YT.

It's all bullshit, and you guys should know better than this. You're all smarter than this.

That's all I'm saying about him from this point on, he does not deserve any more attention from me.

rvy

Banned
What the fuck? It's by far the best camera system in the genre since you don't have to babysit it one single second. It always shows exactly what you need to see. You don't think about it at all.

Lock-on doesn't work with cinematic angles that they often use. I never had problems with the NG or DMC camera anyway.

Dahbomb

So I should take your word for it when you were the one who made false accusations about EventStatus and made personal remarks about him on multiple forums and then were called out on it... Sorry but it's very clear that he just rubs you the wrong way and you would (and have) say anything to discredit him.

I know all about the drama between him and RagingReject. I have seen all those videos where he puts him on blast. Fact of the matter is that it was RR who started with the personal insults/remarks against EventStatus... Event just put him on blast repeatedly after that as he should have because that's what he does.

The videos in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEIvlWKMKlQ&sns=em

Part 1 of 5.

jett

D-Member
People still talking about that nut?

Lock-on doesn't work with cinematic angles that they often use. I never had problems with the NG or DMC camera anyway.

When it comes to combat GOW prioritizes camera angles that benefit gameplay rather than being cinematic, that's why its perfect. It always strives to give you the best angle of the arena rather than attempting to present a cinematic look. And that's very unlike DMC which enjoys it's up-close angles instead of the more zoomed out presentation of GOW. And the DMC games constantly have jarring angle changes.

The camera in NG is just straight up putrid.

ezekial45

Banned
Dahbomb,

I absolutely did, and I personally apologized to him about what I said. But of course that didn't stop his fans from sending messages to my private fucking facebook account.

All I'm asking you to do is look at what's right in front of you. Do you seriously want this guy, who gets his fans to harass people who challenge him, makes over 6 hours worth of footage of him ranting in circles about the game, and throws hissy fits about anyone who confronts him on his bullshit? If he's trying to be professional, then he's doing a horrible job. Do you seriously, seriously want him to represent you? Do you honestly think he's on the cusp of reaching a major breakthrough on turning Capcom around? Please tell me I'm wrong.

Look, Capcom knows your concerns, really. It's been two and half years since then the game has been revealed. They know what you guys want. They don't need a talking head backed by bitter fans that misrepresents the game and continually antagonizes the people working on it to get this message.

It's making you guys look bad.

Dahbomb

He isn't a professional and this isn't his job. He never claimed to be a profressional analyst or whatever you think he thinks he is. He's just a guy on the internet like you and me. No need to get worked up over him, just nod/shake head and move on.

He's not going to turn Capcom around but at least he is in a position to directly communicate with them.

Capcom/NT have not directly addressed the problems with the game/demo... They have given us vague reassurances. I feel it's too little too late at this point.

ezekial45

Banned
He isn't a professional and this isn't his job. He never claimed to be a profressional analyst or whatever you think he thinks he is. He's just a guy on the internet like you and me.

He's not going to turn Capcom around but at least he is in a position to directly communicate with them.

Capcom/NT have not directly addressed the problems with the game/demo... They have given us vague reassurances. I feel it's too little too late at this point.

Come on, we've been talking about this game for awhile now. Can you at least do me the courtesy of answering my question? Do you want him to represent you and the disenfranchised fans about the overall concerns of this game?

Also, just because Greg showed him attention doesn't mean they're in an ongoing relationship. I've talked with some guys at Capcom before, that doesn't I'm in a dialog with them about the future of the company now. All Greg did was show a friendly gesture to correct him on some of his "facts", given that this guy has been antagonizing Capcom for awhile now.

One last thing. Some new preview videos were out (but gone now) and they do show updates to demo concerns. For starters the mission rankings - deaths deduct 10% of your score per restart, items take off 10K points per usage. So that's something.

So yes, the game has been taking and using notes. Just because they don't give specific or say anything outright, doesn't mean they aren't listening. The lack of specificity doesn't mean the evidence of no improvements.

rvy

Banned
It's making you guys look bad.

No, it's not. Consumers need to learn not to be fed shit and shut their mouths. Event, for all the faults you may think he has, has impacted DmC more than Capcom would like. We have someone who's speaking our concerns loud and angrily enough to get noticed, whether he fully understands the game's mechanics or not isn't relevant. What's relevant is that he uses examples of people who know what they're talking about to get his point across. Could this have been handled in a more positive way? Sure, but Capcom is the one at fault here. They're the ones who burned the bridge by insulting their costumers, all hell broke loose afterwards. The best way to handle something as drastic as a reboot isn't to insult your concerned fanbase, it's to educate them on why you took this approach and why you feel it's better.
"I don't care" isn't a proper way to handle backlash. "You can play however you want to" isn't a proper response to your style system being broken. "60 fps is harmful to your eyes" isn't any better.

They keep pettifogging issues and making us look retarded with their dumb comments.
First it was just a vocal minority that disliked hair color, then it became a bunch of basement-dwelling haters who don't know what they're talking about, now we're knowledgeable people whose feedback is vital. Pick one.

And it's not like Capcom has a recent history of treating their costumers well. When the director of DmC doesn't comprehend what's broken about the style system or why a game like this needs lock-on, there's something very wrong. You can argue that they have changed stuff due to feedback, but until we see definitive proof of it, I'm not giving Capcom the benefit of the doubt. They've tried their hardest over the past few years to lose that benefit.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The camera in NG is just straight up putrid.
No, it's fine. The "bad camera" in NG is an inaccurate myth held over from the original release which did not let you adjust the camera, when you moved the stick it took you into first person. It was fixed in the free Hurricane Pack DLC with a freelook camera. It also has a reset camera button which actually makes the camera system better than other games of this nature.

Also, DMC's weird camera angles were probably a holdover from it's RE origins.

Top Bottom