• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC: Devil May Cry - Demo Thread [Demo out now on XBL & PSN]

gunbo13

Any chance for a YouTube clip like you did with DMC3?
I don't have a cap setup for consoles. :( Why isn't there a PC demo...

For styling though, I am quite disappointed mainly with the enemy step cancels. DMC3/DMC4 60fps animation was so crisp that ESC was only detectable on slowdown. The Brea video showed the most hitchy cancels I have ever seen. And while people hate on styling, it really is just about having fun with style. I'm not seeing any opportunities except with barebones ESC just to get vertical. Which basically just leaves intermediate level cancels. If all combo videos look the same, it is a testament to the depth and implementation of the gamplay engine beyond just a player show-off.

Going to test my 360 today.

ezekial45

Banned
New enemies from JPN site.

Drakavec
d6_zps0d028de7.png

d1-1_zps9ba410ee.png

d2-1_zps359bf6c5.png

Buzz Saw Tyrant

The Drakavec looks like something out of the Souls games. I like him.

Dahbomb

Wow finally some interesting enemies. Well Drakavek is interesting, the other one just looks like a generic big enemy with saws on his hands.

Carbonox

I wish Capcom would fuck off with their chainsaw/saw/anything that buzzes and saws fetish. Seriously. Only one time was it ever acceptable and frighteningly awesome and that was in RE4.

Anyway, that first more human-shaped enemy looks pretty good. Shame, it's the only regular enemy design that looks remotely OK.

Facism

just passing on information that's been posted elsewhere on GAF. Can't go wrong with SUPER CHEAP DMC4 (cost me £1.19 :I)

Just in time to get juice flowing for DmC.

I have to admit, I really like the demo. I like DMC series a lot so I was kind of let down by the reveal and so. The demo plays pretty good. Had fun on the boss fight. Just hope it's not all brown like that, but overall, day one purchase for me.

No, it's fine. The "bad camera" in NG is an inaccurate myth held over from the original release which did not let you adjust the camera, when you moved the stick it took you into first person. It was fixed in the free Hurricane Pack DLC with a freelook camera. It also has a reset camera button which actually makes the camera system better than other games of this nature.

Also, DMC's weird camera angles were probably a holdover from it's RE origins.

Just to add to this,the wind run/ flying swallow combo is the great equalizer if you ever get trapped with bad camera problems.

well.....least it was till NG3.

Finally got around to playing the demo and i thought it was fun. Always liked DMC and also Ninja Theory's previous efforts.

Dante had a fun demeanor to him in the demo and the gameplay is definitely NT's best.

Will pick up at some point. Maybe for PC

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Drakevac looks pretty cool. Aren't they the demons who have Sparda chained up somewhere?

I must echo Carbonox's thoughts on the buzzsaw demons. We already have an annoying saw demon and I'd rather not deal with another one.

jett

D-Member
I keep going back to the demo, definitely one of my most replayed demos ever. DMC4's demo was like that for me too, and Bayonetta's... :p Hopefully DmC turns out to be a better overall package than 4.

guys how well would DMC4 run on a 2011 imac?

its a 2.7ghz i5 with a 6770M card?

would I least get 60fps in LDK Mode?

It should.

ezekial45

Banned
I keep going back to the demo, definitely one of my most replayed demos ever. DMC4's demo was like that for me too, and Bayonetta's... :p Hopefully DmC turns out to be a better overall package than 4.

There's no repeating like in DMC4. There's 20 missions overall and each of them are unique for the most part (locale similarities aside). The previews that popped up recently have mentioned that the demo is a poor representation of the actual game, surprisingly enough. And they've all been pretty positive too.

jett

D-Member
There's no repeating like in DMC4. There's 20 missions overall and each of them are unique for the most part (locale similarities aside). The previews that popped up recently have mentioned that the demo is a poor representation of the actual game, surprisingly enough. And they've all been pretty positive too.

I mean, yeah, if it's not better than DMC4 I'll be surprised and disappointed.

its the scarecrows all over again.

would i have to run it windowed or at my full res? (2560/1440)

Well, I don't know about that resolution, maybe. It should run fine at 1920x1080.

Buying this game. The full game isn't out yet but it's safe to assume that this will probably have the worse combat in the series. But I noticed that when I pretended that it wasn't a devil may cry game I found myself really enjoying the game. Will get on PC.

ezekial45

Banned
Buying this game. The full game isn't out yet but it's safe to assume that this will probably have the worse combat in the series. But I noticed that when I pretended that it wasn't a devil may cry game I found myself really enjoying the game. Will get on PC.

Can you really say with a straight face that this game has worse combat than DMC2?

jett

D-Member
Prepare for disappointment.

It won't even touch dmc4 from a combat perspective (which is the only reason why people even play DMC). I'm sure it'll have better level design though.

Eh, I'm really enjoying the combat in the DmC demo, as limited as it is. Donte combines good elements from Nero and Dante, while adding stuff of his own. It's about time people stop the "hur hur dmc has shit combat" act.

Dahbomb

Still no news about Bloody Palace. I am seriously starting to think its going to be DLC.

DmC does not have "shit" combat. Being a couple tiers worse than a standard DMC game still puts you well above average in the combat department.

BadAss2961

Eh, I'm really enjoying the combat in the DmC demo, as limited as it is. Donte combines good elements from Nero and Dante, while adding stuff of his own. It's about time people stop the "hur hur dmc has shit combat" act.
DmC's combat is Devil May Cry lite. It takes the basics with a lot of the little things still getting lost in translation, and simplifies them to the point that the ceiling for creativity and/or impressive play is much much lower.

Dahbomb

Relax. Did DMC4, or DMC3 for that matter, reveal the BP mode before release?
Well DMC3 didn't get BP until SE but it was one of its touted features long before the game was released. We knew about BP in DMC4 a long time ago (confirmed in interviews) and DLC weren't as prevalent back then so it was a safe assumption that it would be on disc day 1.

I know they have hinted at BP in DmC on interviews and stream but they didn't confirm whether it would be on disc day 1. I know everyone assumed that to be the case but there has been no mention of that in any press release or trailer.

I already said that I will not be getting the game in its first 10 days or so if there is no Bloody Palace. I will not stand for it.

Is the DMC3SE PC port disaster zone bad (incorrect logic, missing effects, etc)? Is it possible to get it working fully with a 360 controller? The convenience of a PC version on Steam sounds tempting but not if it it is not accurate to the PS2 version.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Is the DMC3SE PC port disaster zone bad (incorrect logic, missing effects, etc)? Is it possible to get it working fully with a 360 controller? The convenience of a PC version on Steam sounds tempting but not if it it is not accurate to the PS2 version.

It's pretty bad.

It takes a lot of work to get it operating at even a somewhat reasonable level. First of all, it's incredibly inefficiently programmed and requires a powerful machine to run. My computer can run pretty much all newer PC games at high levels, but still chugs with DMC3SE PC at times. There's also a glitch with the music, where the music causes the game to slowdown on certain systems. Deleting or replacing the music (general ambient music and some battle music, I believe... most boss themes are in tact). You also need to edit some of the installation files to get a 360 controller to work, and even then the triggers won't register so you'll have to use a program like Joy2Key.

So yeah. Long story short, you should just get the HD Collection instead. It's $15.99 on both consoles with free shipping at Newegg.

It's pretty bad.

It takes a lot of work to get it operating at even a somewhat reasonable level. First of all, it's incredibly inefficiently programmed and requires a powerful machine to run. My computer can run pretty much all newer PC games at high levels, but still chugs with DMC3SE PC at times. There's also a glitch with the music, where the music causes the game to slowdown on certain systems. Deleting or replacing the music (general ambient music and some battle music, I believe... most boss themes are in tact). You also need to edit some of the installation files to get a 360 controller to work, and even then the triggers won't register so you'll have to use a program like Joy2Key.

So yeah. Long story short, you should just get the HD Collection instead. It's $15.99 on both consoles with free shipping at Newegg.

Yeah that doesn't sound good enough for me to get. I planned on getting the HD Collection sometime, it is just that a PC version is -really- convenient for me.

somesplace

Neo Member
i'm not a great player when it comes to 3D brawlers, by any means, but i find it hard to believe this game is THAT much "worse" than the other DMC games in terms of combat. i always thought these games never required you to do anything "stylish" in the first place, so all those DMC3 combo vids and stuff, while cool, were really sort of "beside the point" for me.

i don't really see being able to chain your moves together 40 different ways into a 500 hit combo as being particularly cool, deep, or fun when you can actually just obliterate the enemies with a couple simple moves and strategies. if this game featured, for example, more aggressive or intelligent enemies (as in ninja gaiden), that alone would make up whatever "creativity limitations" are imposed by the new combat system.

in summary, unless everyone complaining about the game is some sort of brawler expert, i don't think they really have valid grounds. from a superficial viewpoint, this game looks awesome. and complaining about the style, dialogue, etc. strikes me as pretty absurd, considering the previous games in the series.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
you been waiting to post that since you signed up or something?

like who are you talking to right now?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
i'm not a great player when it comes to 3D brawlers, by any means, but i find it hard to believe this game is THAT much "worse" than the other DMC games in terms of combat. i always thought these games never required you to do anything "stylish" in the first place, so all those DMC3 combo vids and stuff, while cool, were really sort of "beside the point" for me.

i don't really see being able to chain your moves together 40 different ways into a 500 hit combo as being particularly cool, deep, or fun when you can actually just obliterate the enemies with a couple simple moves and strategies. if this game featured, for example, more aggressive or intelligent enemies (as in ninja gaiden), that alone would make up whatever "creativity limitations" are imposed by the new combat system.

in summary, unless everyone complaining about the game is some sort of brawler expert, i don't think they really have valid grounds. from a superficial viewpoint, this game looks awesome. and complaining about the style, dialogue, etc. strikes me as pretty absurd, considering the previous games in the series.

You're certainly entitled to that opinion.

However, just because you don't see the point in doing anything "Stylish" in the series doesn't mean that styling isn't an important part of the franchise. A lot of third person shooters can be beaten without utilizing items or cover. Most of Ninja Gaiden can be beaten by spamming flying swallow and izuna drop (you don't need to shuriken cancel or on land charging). Combat experimentation in a deep system makes these games more fun for people. Try to appreciate that. The ultimate fear (which DmC supporters will deny) is that the series is spiraling in a direction where shallow combat and lack of control/precision will continue.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
everyone. also wondering when "junior member" status wears off!

:)

Oh

well thanks for addressing a point of view I'm not sure anyone in this thread holds or has held for months

and failing to fully comprehend the perspectives of people that actually do criticize this game all while suggesting they aren't qualified to hold those opinions

welcome to neogaf you should fit right in

That reminds me of a friend who bitched about God of War 2 being boring because you can just do Square-Square-Triangle the whole time

I mean hey, you like playing in the most boring way possible, that's fine, but there a lot of other interesting/fun options you left on the table there.

Dahbomb

when you stop acting like such a junior
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Yea sure "superficially" the game looks fine but once you start delving into the game you fine problems with it. Having more aggressive enemies is fine but DmC doesn't have that (or at least not anymore than your average DMC game) so it's pointless to bring up.

Stylish combat is one of the core pillars of the series. Even the original DMC was described by the director as a stylish action game. If you think that's "besides the point" then you are out of touch with the franchise in general and people can't really take your opinion on DMC seriously.

It's not just about beating the games it's about mastering them (or come as close as you can).

somesplace

Neo Member
You're certainly entitled to that opinion.

However, just because you don't see the point in doing anything "Stylish" in the series doesn't mean that styling isn't an important part of the franchise. A lot of third person shooters can be beaten without utilizing items or cover. Most of Ninja Gaiden can be beaten by spamming flying swallow and izuna drop. Combat experimentation makes a game more fun.

i think most people who speak out on internet forums hold your viewpoint, but here's something i find odd. anywhere i look, this game seems to be getting mostly (and early on, before people had played it, drastically) trash talked. most of the criticisms seemed, to me, to be about the combat being more simplistic. i wonder though, how many people really play the game in the "super stylish" manner depicted in some expert players' videos?

and i don't think your 3rd person analogy is a good one, unless DMC is actually so much simpler than its predecessors that it's actually like playing, for example, gears of war with no cover or items. i don't think this is the case. of course, i could be wrong.

hypernima

Banned
Still no news about Bloody Palace. I am seriously starting to think its going to be DLC.

DmC does not have "shit" combat. Being a couple tiers worse than a standard DMC game still puts you well above average in the combat department.

I'm a DMC novice whose played DMC4
Is there that much a difference between this and DmC because I'm really not noticing it.

Top Bottom