• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC: Devil May Cry - Demo Thread [Demo out now on XBL & PSN]

ezekial45

Banned
jjqp4.png

DmC: Devil May Cry
Developed by Ninja Theory
Published by Capcom

Release:
Demo will be out on November 20th for the XBL and PSN (U.S) and the 21st on PSN for Europe.

Retail
360/PS3 January 15th US / Euro 14th / JPN 14th
PC version will be out sometime after at an unspecified date

578353_422640477801989_114585393_n.jpg

Intro:

DmC: Devil May Cry is a reboot and reimagining of the Devil May Cry lore and seeks to modernize the gameplay and narrative. As an origin story, we see Dante come to terms with his supernatural heritage while facing off against Demons who control humanity through the media and commercial products. When Dante faces off against the demons, he's pulled into their parallel home world known as 'Limbo', which appears as a warped and deformed version of our own world.

It should be stressed that DmC is a reboot and doesn't continue the storyline of the previous games. Similar to how the Batman and James Bond films have changed and altered the tone and story when changing directions. The story takes many liberties with what's been established and should be treated as a new take on the familiar.

12706_422640187802018_15533737_n.jpg

Gameplay:
DmC continues the tradition of stylish combat and fluid gameplay, but goes about it a different way. The combat takes its influences from a variety of different action games - such as Bayonetta, God of War, Heavenly Sword, and of course the previous games. In terms of general design and progression, DmC is very much in line with the last entries. You still explore environments, collect items and gear, fight off waves of enemies, and strengthen Dante's abilities and weapons. Ninja Theory has gone a bit further to add much more traversal and platforming action sequences to break up the combat sections.

The combat system is a bit of a departure from the previous DMC games. The combat seeks to streamline a number of the trickier aspects of the combat, while maintaining a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment from pulling off slick moves. DmC's combat places a larger emphasis on the form/style switching than in previous games. You're able to freely change from the three different forms and combine different techniques and attacks together.

Human Form (base form): Dante's neutral form, and takes advantage of his Rebellion sword and firearms. Rebellion and E&I can be charged up for special ranged attacks.
Angel Form (agility form): Dante's speedier form. While holding down the left trigger he can use angel weapons and the Angel Lift ability, which allows him to pull himself towards enemies (double tapping Angel Lift will have Dante follow up with an uppercut attack which sends the enemy upwards). Dodging in the angel form allows Dante to use a phasing teleport move.
Demon Form (power form): Dante's brute strength form. While holding down the right trigger he can use demon weapons and the demon pull ability, which allows him to pull enemies toward him (double tapping the demon pull ability button follows it up with a kick attack that can damage nearby enemies). Performing a perfect evade (last second dodge) while in Demon Form will trigger a demon dodge, which powers up your next attack with a Devil weapon.

While still independent of one another, the combat allows for you to fluidly move in and out of each form while still continuing off the same combo and attack sequence. Beginning a combo sequence in the human form can result in finishing the sequence with an advanced angel form technique. This can be taken advantage of for quicker access to advance moves.

Now to address the elephants in the room. Ninja Theory decided to forgo the traditional hard lock-on mechanic in favor of the soft lock-on combat in the vein of Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising. Also, because of the Unreal Engine 3, the game runs at a 30FPS instead of standard 60FPS from the last entries. Pointing the control stick in the direction of the enemy will allow you to attack specific enemies. Launchers are now a dedicated the button, and advanced techniques are down by face button combos and pause actions. Shooting, however, still functions largely the same. As for the framerate, the developers have designed the combat system around the change in tech and sought to keep the series' tenants for smooth combat intact. Moreover, players and other veterans of the series who've played the game at conventions and trade shows have commented that the game does feel fluid and responsive.

If that isn't enough for you, then you'll be pleased to know that the PC version will run at 60FPS.

Controls (for PS3 and 360 respectively):

Cross/A button: Jump
Square/X button: Shoot/Angel Lift/Demon Pull
Triangle/Y button: Melee Attack
Circle/B button: Launcher/Secondary attack

L1/Left bumper and R1/Right bumper: Evade
L2/Left trigger (hold): Angel Form
R2/Right Trigger (hold): Demon Form

left d-pad: Angel Weapon Switch
up d-pad: Firearm Switch
right d-pad: Demon Weapon Switch

Left-click + Right-click: Devil Trigger - DT functions a bit differently in DmC. When activated, Dante forces all enemies into the air and time slows down. Similar to witch time, Dante's attack become more effective against the slower and more vulnerable enemies . To balance this out, the DT gauge fills very slowly through combat, and when activated it drains out extremely fast.

Move List (thanks to LHK and Dahbomb)

Note: the developers have allowed the controls to be customized to your liking, just like the previous games, though it remains to be seen if that option is in the demo or not.

394094_422640424468661_1932899782_n.jpg

Demo Content:
The demo contains two levels, one of which is a boss fight. For replayability, the demo also includes several difficulty modes to try out. After finishing both levels, the Son of Sparda mode (very hard) is unlocked to test out.

Also, there will apparently be some hidden gems and features to find as well.

22613_422639741135396_1961621349_n.jpg

Media:
Combat Dojo Gameplay
Home Truths
Bloodline
Gamereactor Interview/Playthrough
Playstation Access Interview/Footage

DmC JPN Official Site

Last words:
Be civil, be fair, and come in with an open mind.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Thought it went up early or something. I don't think a demo thread needs this far in advance. :p

lantus

It's too bad they're making us pay to play as Vergil. Now this game can wait.

Still interested in the demo though, I want to see if it's up to snuff.

ezekial45

Banned
It's too bad they're making us pay to play as Vergil. Now this game can wait.

Still interested in the demo though, I want to see if it's up to snuff.

If you pre-order the game, then it's free. Also, it's an entirely new set of missions and enemies. So it's just a character swap like in DMC3.

Dahbomb

Good OT but I would point out that Angel/Demon forms aren't exactly Trickster/Royal Guard. Demon form especially is nothing like RG so I don't know why that was mentioned in there.

But yea....

iyoa6w8hUWWDh.gif

My body and fingers are ready.

ezekial45

Banned
Good OT but I would point out that Angel/Demon forms aren't exactly Trickster/Royal Guard. Demon form especially is nothing like RG so I don't know why that was mentioned in there.

But yea....

iyoa6w8hUWWDh.gif

My body and fingers are ready.

I brought up the parallels mostly because of the defense capabilities. They're not quite like the previous styles, sure, but the traces of them are there. Royal Guard allowed you to store extra strength from defensive moves (Demon Dodge), and Trickster had the dash, air dash, and teleport moves (all present in Angel form).

Demo...thread? Maybe we shouldn't complain about Wainwright.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497565

What's wrong with having a demo thread?

Kajiba

Demo sounds to have alot of stuff in it.(extra modes and secret stuff in it)

Definitely going to check it out.

Dahbomb

I think it's best to just label them "Power" and "Agility". Both of them have angel/demon dodges. The demon dodge doesn't work like a parry, you aren't even really at much frame advantage after it and there is no counter release system either. It's just a dodge that powers up your attack, that's not what RG is about.

I'm just saying this is going to cause confusion if people read too much into it or expect something which isn't really what it's about.

Unless of course you know something about the Devil form that isn't revealed yet and it adds more options to make it more like the RG system. Certainly that is the only style that is actually absent in the game... the other styles are present in the game in some way or the other.

Midou

Trying the son of sparda mode with both the regular and boss stage will confirm my stance on the game. I'm on the fence now, on one hand, the combat looks fun, on the other, I've seen super easy fights and super easy SSS+ combos, that I need to know for sure if they were on a super easy difficulty or what.

Hopefully they chose something of reasonable difficulty.

ezekial45

Banned
I think it's best to just label them "Power" and "Agility". Both of them have angel/demon dodges. The demon dodge doesn't work like a parry, you aren't even really at much frame advantage after it and there is no counter release system either. It's just a dodge that powers up your attack, that's not what RG is about.

I'm just saying this is going to cause confusion if people read too much into it or expect something which isn't really what it's about.

Unless of course you know something about the Devil form that isn't revealed yet and it adds more options to make it more like the RG system. Certainly that is the only style that is actually absent in the game... the other styles are present in the game in some way or the other.

fair enough.

Dahbomb

Trying the son of sparda mode with both the regular and boss stage will confirm my stance on the game. I'm on the fence now, on one hand, the combat looks fun, on the other, I've seen super easy fights and super easy SSS+ combos, that I need to know for sure if they were on a super easy difficulty or what.

Hopefully they chose something of reasonable difficulty.
I am in the same boat as you... the other difficulties are just practice and SoS where I will be grinding the demo out. I am very curious to see how the enemies act at higher difficulties and if there are other changes.

I am not TOO worried about easy SSS combos anymore. Yea that was an issue in older builds but now it's not that easy to get high SSS ranks. It's not DMC4 Dante hard but still you need to use the combos well enough to get a high rank.

I don't have it in me to get excited over a demo, and I really don't even like Devil May Cry, but those screens look amazing.

EDIT: Wait, concept art? I'm out.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I dont really give a shit about this living up to the DMC name so i am pretty hyped just cause the art is amazing and it looks batshit crazy.

Nizz

I've never been a die hard Devil May Cry fan. I remember playing and really liking DMC1, taking a day off from work to pick up DMC2 and being really disappointed. I bought DMC3 but for some reason I never finished it (I mean to someday) and never got DMC4.

There were things about DmC that I heard about that drew red flags for me. I've never really liked anything the dev working on it has done. Then I learned it was using the Unreal engine and that it was 30fps.

But after seeing some of the more recent vids on this, I'm definitely approaching this demo with an open mind. The environments look great, the way they shift around between the world Dante is in and the demon world looks ace.

I wonder why the PS3 demo is coming on the 21st? Doesn't the store update on Tuesdays? Anyway, will definitely give this a try.

Dahbomb

I don't have it in me to get excited over a demo, and I really don't even like Devil May Cry, but those screens look amazing.
Not screens... concept arts.

Some screens of the game:

Although to be honest screens don't do a DMC game justice and this is no exception either. Just watch some game play videos at 720P for the best idea of what the game looks like. The effects of the environment morphing are also quite nice and something that can't be conveyed in screens.

Do you think if NT got rid of all the superfluous background shit that doesn't really matter, they could have gotten the game back up to 60fps on consoles?

Dahbomb

Do you think if NT got rid of all the superfluous background shit that doesn't really matter, they could have gotten the game back up to 60fps on consoles?
Yes but the "superfluous background shit" is what they are hoping is going to draw in a bigger audience and give the game its unique look. It's a sacrifice that they consciously made so they have to sell the audience on it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yes but the "superfluous background shit" is what they are hoping is going to draw in a bigger audience and give the game its unique look. It's a sacrifice that they consciously made so they have to sell the audience on it.

Just because it was deliberate doesn't mean it was the right decision.

sleepykyo

Come on man, read the OT.

Isn't there quite a conflict between the closing and what precedes it?

Bolded is false. It is 30fps because NT didn't want to make the compromises that would get it to run at 60fps.

The rest was leading the witness.

And then finally repositioned it so despite being a console demo, we can't make any judgments about performance because there is a pc version coming out.

Also, because of the Unreal Engine 3, the game runs at a 30FPS instead of standard 60FPS from the last entries. As for the framerate, the developers have designed the combat system around the change in tech and sought to keep the series' tenants for smooth combat intact. Moreover, players and other veterans of the series who've played the game at conventions and trade shows have commented that the game does feel fluid and responsive.

If that isn't enough for you, then you'll be pleased to know that the PC version will run at 60FPS.[/b]

Last words:
Be civil, be fair, and come in with an open mind.

Dahbomb

Just because it was deliberate doesn't mean it was the right decision.
I never said it was the right decision just that this is what NT wants as a priority. Of course they would love to have both dynamic environments AND 60FPS which they will have on the PC version but it was either sterile environments + 60FPS or dynamic environments + 30FPS on the consoles.

Bro: "Check out that crazy wall man, it just exploded from nothing and it says, "EAT A FUCK, CUNTSWABBER!!"

Bro 2: "This game is cray-cray, bro."

ezekial45

Banned

Unless they make the entire game like Bloody Palace, in completely static and barren environments, and after extensive customization of the engine - then maybe they could've.

The environments give it personality and character. If 60FPS wasn't an option to begin with, then the extra resources to give some extra oomph to the world is OK in my book. And the combat still looks good to me. The Bloodline video was the best video they've released thus far.

Just get the PC version. It'll be at 60FPS and have all the environments intact.

ezekial45

Banned
Isn't there quite a conflict between the closing and what precedes it?

Bolded is false. It is 30fps because NT didn't want to make the compromises that would get it to run at 60fps.

The rest was leading the witness.

And then finally repositioned it so despite being a console demo, we can't make any judgments about performance because there is a pc version coming out.

UE3 has difficulties running at 60FPS on consoles. That is a fact. That is why console UE3 games run at the standard 30FPS. That is a fact. MT Framework wasn't an option because of the documentation issues and the fact that they've have to spend an extra year or so learning a brand new engine that has its own share of problems. That is a fact.

Also, I never said you couldn't make judgements about it. Don't put words in my mouth.

sleepykyo

UE3 has difficulties running at 60FPS on consoles. That is a fact.

All games have difficulty running at 60fps. That isn't an engine issue. WB managed to do it for MK and MK v. DC, albeit noticeable compromises. If you personally feel that NT made the right call, you're perfectly entitled, but it was their call.

Dahbomb

DMC4 came out in 2008...we have been waiting for almost 5 years for a new DMC game

*cries*
Wow...

It really has been that long.

i0LiGd9tfl08X.gif

Well to be fair I have waited longer for numerous other games (Diablo 3, MVC3) but DMC is like my favorite series of all time. This just hurts more.

Top Bottom